Ended my bike search with a 2019 StumpJumper ST Comp 29er!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Ended my bike search with a 2019 StumpJumper ST Comp 29er!

I've been loosing my mind trying to pick a full suspension bike. Too many specs, options, etc. A friend told me to look at Santa Cruz so I went to the local bike shop a few months ago wanting to leave with a 5010, but just wasn't feeling it. Tried the Tallboy, same feeling. They had a Hightower Carbon which felt nice, but was well past my price point. Top rack, off to the side, was a White Sage Stumpy... my baby! Took it for a ride and it just felt great. Large bike, 6 ft with shoes on.

Went home, did some research, and got even more confused. Fast forward a few months and hundreds of hours of reading, I just couldn't figure out a good reason to not go ST for my trails, and not try a 29er. The Shimano 11 speed was tripping me up vs the NX eagle of the later 2019 comps, but not for any good reason... my old bike is an early 2000 Rockhopper... so its all an upgrade. Gave up on the nitpicking and went on Sunday to pick up the bike that felt best. Glad I did it. The White Sage is so sexy in person - the pics online do it no justice.

Last edited by JimmyTheDriver; 4 Days Ago at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Good for you. A couple years ago I upgraded my 2000 hard tail stumpjumper to a 2016 full suspension stumpjumper.

It's a fun change in the differences. Enjoy.

The pictures aren't displaying on my screen. Maybe it's just me -maybe double check the links are good, if your photos are hosted from a picture site.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Good for you. A couple years ago I upgraded my 2000 hard tail stumpjumper to a 2016 full suspension stumpjumper.

It's a fun change in the differences. Enjoy.

The pictures aren't displaying on my screen. Maybe it's just me -maybe double check the links are good, if your photos are hosted from a picture site.
    Thanks for the heads up, should be fixed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Love white bikes, congrats

Rides all the bikes!
    A friend of mine started putting in the hours and now is railing on an ST. Good bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Random question... there are two sticker sheets in the baggie of paperwork and accessories that came with the bike. Where do all these things go? Most are just clear shapes.

mtbr member
    The sheets are for spots where you might have cable rub.
    They can also be used to prevent scratches down the road.

Congrats on NBD, I've owned my ST since June of last year.
    Super Fun bike, perfect for my local trails
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Stickers can go wherever you feel protections is needed.

Head tube where cables can rub
    Carnk arms where you shoes rub
    top tube where you may sit down on, or rest a gear bag
    Inside edges of the chain stays near the front where the tire will fling mud/rocks
    Back of the seat tube

I had a similar question when I got a new bike (not the stumpy). There basically isn't a preset packet for placing the stickers, they provide them for you to stick where you fell is important.

The downtube is a great one but you'd probably need better protection than what is offered by the stickers in the booklet.

G_T
    mtbr member
    Congrats, that's a sweet bike. I am in the same boat as you, riding an '04 Specialized Enduro and ready to pull the trigger on a new ride. Started by looking at Santa Cruz (Bronson, Tallboy), then Specialized (Stumpy), then every bike every made. It's overwhelming. I kept coming back to Guerrilla Gravity, and after deliberating far too long put down a deposit about 10 minutes ago on a Smash. I am pretty sure I'd be happy with just about any of the modern bikes, since 29" wheels, droppers, 1x suspension, modern geo, etc will all be new to me. The only problem is I've got to wait for them to build it. Congrats again, hope it's everything you wanted it to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by G_T View Post
    Congrats, that's a sweet bike. I am in the same boat as you, riding an '04 Specialized Enduro and ready to pull the trigger on a new ride. Started by looking at Santa Cruz (Bronson, Tallboy), then Specialized (Stumpy), then every bike every made. It's overwhelming. I kept coming back to Guerrilla Gravity, and after deliberating far too long put down a deposit about 10 minutes ago on a Smash. I am pretty sure I'd be happy with just about any of the modern bikes, since 29" wheels, droppers, 1x suspension, modern geo, etc will all be new to me. The only problem is I've got to wait for them to build it. Congrats again, hope it's everything you wanted it to be.
    Wow - I'd never seen Guerrilla Gravity, The Smash is gorgeous. Maybe on my next bike I can creep into the 4k range. I'm sure you will love that thin.

Mountain bikes are wild now. I remember as a kid the StumpJumper was the trail bike everyone wanted... else some Trek models. Now - after three months of the most research I've ever done in my life - you showed me a brand and model I'd still never even heard of, and it looks awesome.

Enjoy the bike!

G_T
    mtbr member
    There are so many options, and with no perspective on the differences in modern bikes I, like you, felt overwhelmed. I decided that I live in CO, about an hour from GG, and have heard fantastic reviews across the board from forums, riders, and LBSs. Instead of the paralysis of analysis holding me back, I just decided that I really can't miss the mark of the perfect bike by that much.

I really thought about a stumpy, two of my neighborhood riders are on them and love them. The big downside of me getting a Smash is that I'll be on 26" tires until Summer when I will drive down and pick up the new ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by G_T View Post
    There are so many options, and with no perspective on the differences in modern bikes I, like you, felt overwhelmed. I decided that I live in CO, about an hour from GG, and have heard fantastic reviews across the board from forums, riders, and LBSs. Instead of the paralysis of analysis holding me back, I just decided that I really can't miss the mark of the perfect bike by that much.

I really thought about a stumpy, two of my neighborhood riders are on them and love them. The big downside of me getting a Smash is that I'll be on 26" tires until Summer when I will drive down and pick up the new ride.
    I'd die waiting that long, and your lucky having those niche companies within reach. I wanted to stick local for my first big bike purchase which means Specialized, Trek, Giant, and Santa Cruz. At this point, Santa Cruz isnt really small and niche especially after being purchased by an overseas conglomerate.

Roll Tide
    Jan 2019
    Ended my bike search with a 2019 StumpJumper ST Comp 29er!-2019-04-11-20.08.49.jpg

I also just pulled the trigger on a new ST Comp. I'm pretty stoked !

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide386 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-04-11 20.08.49.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	1247083

I also just pulled the trigger on a new ST Comp. I'm pretty stoked !
    Nice bike! I actually have that photo saved on my phone, so you must have posted it elsewhere and I liked it. It took me forever to decide between Nice Blue and White Sage.

Get any rides in yet? I've been limited to my neighborhood streets and curbs so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Congrats jimmy and Rolltide on the new rigs. After a couple of spins on my aluminum stumpy the bike is so quiet I became annoyed with sound of rocks/pebbles pinging of the downtube. I ended up getting a lizard skins downtube protector and in combination with the fancy new wave chainstay protector the bike is a super quiet trail ninja. Highly recommend getting one or something similar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lizard-Skin...YAAOSw5cNYfbTD

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Well done guys! Good choice on the colours as well! A lot of people first impression is how quiet the ride is.

Roll Tide
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTheDriver View Post
    Nice bike! I actually have that photo saved on my phone, so you must have posted it elsewhere and I liked it. It took me forever to decide between Nice Blue and White Sage.

Get any rides in yet? I've been limited to my neighborhood streets and curbs so far.
    I have posted it everywhere haha sadly I'm still recovering from a collarbone injury so won't be taking it on the trails for a few weeks