Dream Bike (24 lbs SL)- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

Dream Bike (24 lbs SL)

Yep, this is only a word thingy. But you heard it right. If you've got 7300 dollars to blow, you can make a 24 pound Specialized Enduro SL... this is how. There is no compromise on durability here. I went on Weight Weenies to find the weight, and then MTBR to see if it got good reviews.

Some of the components with 0 in the weight are already accounted for in previous specifications.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    well, good luck with that

Aug 2006
    Hehe, I wish

I wonder how light you can make an Epic...

Mar 2007
    I suggest you take this configuration, build up the bike, and then test ride it on the Heartbreak Hill trail after you see what the actual weight is.

We will all be standing by to console you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

6 inch all mountain bike

With 400 gram XC race tires and ultralight tubes. Bring a spare tire in your camelback. Would be cool to have a 24 lb enduro.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Jan 2007
    Hehe I would break that riding down to the bar!

Apr 2007
    "Yep, this is only a word thingy. But you heard it right. If you've got 7300 dollars to blow, you can make a 24 pound Specialized Enduro SL... this is how. There is no compromise on durability here. I went on Weight Weenies to find the weight, and then MTBR to see if it got good reviews.

Some of the components with 0 in the weight are already accounted for in previous specifications."

Theres not many parts on that build which suit that bike- its not far off of cutting and pasting Liam Killeens Epic build. There's nothing special about that build as it doesn't suit the frame or how the bike was made to be ridden. The parts are picked with little consideration, anybody person with limited knowledge of mountain bikes can pick the lightest parts in each category...not impressed!
    Last edited by Richardt; 05-27-2007 at 02:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Just my 2c:
    an Enduro SL with such setup; doesnt it defeat the purpose?

The Hub, doesnt Mig Mag fit non-disc only? You mean King Kong?

The stem??? I thought Spec's fork comes with built-in stem???

Pardon me, but your dreambike sounds like .. a totally confusing setup
    Last edited by paneristi; 05-27-2007 at 11:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi
    The stem??? I thought Spec's fork comes with built-in stem???
    Yeah it does

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenraptor
    Hehe, I wish

I wonder how light you can make an Epic...
    19.23 lbs http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=445
    20.06 lbs http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=623
    22.47 lbs http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=337

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Is that front hub a 25mm through axle, disc version ? I doubt it.

The XT brakes are not a good option on a $7000 bike. Magura Marta would be lighter are better

Nokon gear cables would add some bling and reduce weight.

XT cassette ? Why not XTR and save a few more grams ?

If you are throwing money at it go for a ConneX Titanium chain.

The tyres are way wrong. Something like Schwalbe Nobbly Nic 2.25 UST would be more useful and still light compared to other 2.3" tyres.

As paneristi said you already have a stem attached to the fork so adding a second one is daft.

Is that crank not a road bike dual ring type ? I would try Clavicula cranks but its hard to say if they would be strong enough for all-mountain riding.

The bars you spec'ed are 25.4mm bars that are an insane 560mm wide with no rise. The Enduro SL stem only takes 31.8mm bars and a realistic width is at least 630mm. I would prefer the 660mm width the Expert comes with. THe Easton Monkeylite XC CNT is 175g 31.8mm and 660mm much better for an all mountain bike.

Where's the seat clamp ?

Using that saddle on a trail that requires a bike with 6in of travel will almost certainly break your balls. Perhaps the comfort of a WTB Rocket V Stealth would be worth giving up a few grams for.

Back to the drawing board for you I think.

Aug 2006
    Hmm... this is edited, because it came out wrong. I appreciate the feedback on here. I knew all along that the bike wouldn't make sense, and the frame+fork can't only be 4500 grams. But I wondered what it would be like... and 2.5 hours later, BAM!

Some of the parts don't make sense. If I really had built an Enduro SL up, I would use nothing but Saint components , except for Sram X0

But you can imagine how bored I was... is there those among you who once found video games interesting but no longer? Cause I'm in that boat.

Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SDK^
    Yeah it does
    But after nearly a month, it still pictured without a chain or shift cables attached.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vercingetorix
    But after nearly a month, it still pictured without a chain or shift cables attached.
    LOL - the picture above was taken when the bike was delivered - check the EXIF info
    Everything was installed on the bike and it was used for a ride on day 1.

Have a roll eyes from me

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    cool yo, I wouldnt mind racing with that rig on a 24-hour race

Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenraptor
    Yep, this is only a word thingy. But you heard it right. If you've got 7300 dollars to blow, you can make a 24 pound Specialized Enduro SL... this is how. There is no compromise on durability here. I went on Weight Weenies to find the weight, and then MTBR to see if it got good reviews.

Some of the components with 0 in the weight are already accounted for in previous specifications.

23.809924 pounds. damn light

Members who have read this thread: 0