Diverge anyone?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Diverge anyone?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Diverge anyone?

It's time for a new road bike, my '99 Cannondale is getting a bit tired. I'd really like nice racy wispy road bike but I have no serious aspirations to road race beyond some fondos, centuries and group rides. The roads around here aren't exactly smooth and my road rides frequently use the local rail trail to string routes together. It can be done but I don't think a wispy road bike is the best tool the type of riding I do, hence the Diverge.

I'm thinking about the carbon comp model. Any of you guys own one? My LBS says they are selling pretty well and what limited reviews there are seem very positive. I was pretty set on the Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra disc and while a capable bike I think the Spesh might be a better choice for my riding conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have built a few in the shop and the owner is riding one, he is very impressed with how smooth it is, and the hydraulic breaks work fantastically. They are quite heavy, I guess due to the burly wheels, Hydro disc break and bigger tyres but I'm sure one could be put on a diet fairly easily.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The weight is a bit of a concern. Heavy for a road bike or just heavy in general? I think the carbon comp is right around 20 lbs. Don't really want to have to swap parts on a bike at that price range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Heavy for a road bike, not that heavy really and to build a bike that will take the abuse and be comfortable is always going to cost you either weight or durability.

bipedal

Good job! Diverge Comp Carbon (Shimano 105)

Just bought one, still tinkering with it, but stoked so far. For me the things that stand out most are the sweet ride and the wonderful hydraulic disc brakes as pointed out by Tom. The 32mm Roubaix tires contribute to a nice ride, but the frame and Cobl-Goblr seat post eat up bumps much better than I expected. Rides smoother than my carbon Crux with 40mm tires. Also seems more stable than the Crux likely due to the low bottom bracket. The Shimano 685 brakes are smooth and strong with good feel - on a par with top mtb brakes and much better than any mechanical or mechanical/hydraulic disc brakes I’ve tried. They add a lot of confidence at high speeds and in sketchy/rough conditions.

Already “personalizing” it: wider Salsa Cowbell handlebars, mtb crankset with smaller chainring options, and Easton EC70 wheels. The rear wheel switch was a bit tricky since the Eastons don’t use the Specialized SCS offset hub and the cassette ends up 2mm further out. Fitting required replacing the derailleur hanger, axle end caps, and adaptors with those supplied for a QR axle, but I’m experimenting with an mtb hanger to accommodate the 12mm thru axle. The good news is that wheels can be swapped easily, requiring only a minor rd adjustment but no brake caliper adjustment (surprise!).

Here are some pics (wish Specialized would grow out of it’s “Henry Ford any color as long as it’s black” phase )

First, tire fitment:

This shows what the rear looks like with a Conti SpeedRide tire measuring 40mm wide on the OEM Axis wheels -- too tight for comfort. Fork is a bit better, but still too tight.

Here’s a Conti Cyclocross tire measuring 36mm wide on the OEM Axis wheels - plenty of clearance.

Here’s the full monty with the Easton wheels and Roubaix tires. The 54cm bike weighs 21.0 lbs almost ready to ride as shown with pedals, pump, bottle cages, two small bags with tube, tire levers, patch kit, pressure gauge, chapstick and a Goo packet. (it’s about 19.5 lb nekid, without pedals and accessories)

Time to get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    The rear wheel switch was a bit tricky since the Eastons don’t use the Specialized SCS offset hub and the cassette ends up 2mm further out. Fitting required replacing the derailleur hanger, axle end caps, and adaptors with those supplied for a QR axle, but I’m experimenting with an mtb hanger to accommodate the 12mm thru axle.
    It shpuld have come with a different hanger for running a standard 135 QR MTB hub in the box I think.

bipedal
    Quote Originally Posted by Floor Tom View Post
    It should have come with a different hanger for running a standard 135 QR MTB hub in the box I think.
    Correct, thanks Tom, I could have made that clearer. I did use the non-offset QR hanger and frame adaptors for a QR axle provided by Spesh. The adaptors just make it a bit fiddly to R&R the wheel compared to the simple thru axle. I'd prefer to use the 12mm thru axle, but I need a rd hanger that will accept it but without the 2mm inward offset like the OEM 12mm hanger designed to work with the SCS Axis wheels.

I like the Diverge thru axles that use a 5mm hex key to tighten/loosen. Very clean without levers protruding and easy to get consistent tightening torque.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Most likely my next "road" bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Diverge Expert on the way very soon. Really looking forward to a combo mtb/road/gravel ride option that I can do darn near from my house.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Any idea abt additional TA 135x12 hub that will work on this bicycle. Royal wheels are to expensive for me.
    Maybe there is some chance to adjust in some way Dt240 hub? That is completely crazy for such a company like spec to release nice bike without any option to get additional not expensive wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You can convert most DT swiss hubs to 135 x 12, as well as Hope hubs, SRAM hubs (their X0 hub is actually very nice) and many others, it is a size that has been used in MTB previously so there are options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Floor Tom View Post
    You can convert most DT swiss hubs to 135 x 12, as well as Hope hubs, SRAM hubs (their X0 hub is actually very nice) and many others, it is a size that has been used in MTB previously so there are options.
    As I know it is a problem because specialized SCS hub is moved inwards 2,5 mm at the drive side - placing cassette on the standard hub cause rubbing of the smaller cog on the chain stay as it is mentioned by other owners

bipedal

The shade tree mechanic’s solution to the Diverge rear derailleur hanger hangup

The mrs and I each recently bought Diverge Comp Carbon bikes that we’ve been personalizing, and like others we wanted to use a second wheelset with standard 135mm spacing. We both had Easton EC70 wheels (carbon rims, ~1500g set) that we wanted to be able to use. The front wheels with 15mm thru axles mounted up fine. However, the rear wheels with 12mm thru axles presented the much maligned “SCS hangup” - the cassette lockring hit the inward-offset rear derailleur hanger.

“Factory Solution”

First option was to replace the rd hanger with the supplied QR hanger which does not have the SCS offset. This worked fine, but the QR axle required using fiddly adaptors on both dropouts. It seemed a shame not to employ the 12mm thru axle the frame and wheels for designed to take advantage of.

“Shade Tree Solution”

The rear derailleur hanger is an inexpensive and easily replaceable part, so break out the power tools! The SCS hanger is fairly burly, like a mountain bike hanger, and seemed to be a good candidate for a diet. Coarse measurements suggested that taking a mm or so off the inner face could provide clearance for the lockring, and the hanger was introduced to the power sanding wheel. Neither the hanger mounting screw nor the rd mounting screw engaged all of the threads on the hanger so there did not seem to be problem removing material on the inside face. Just enough was ground off to leave a small lip protruding inside the frame as a protective measure. The lower part of the hanger was sanded down to be flush with the rd mounting screw to give maximum chain clearance.

It worked, just barely. There is probably only ~0.2mm clearance between the cassette lockring and the rd hanger and even less, perhaps 0.1mm, between the chain on cog 1 and lower part of the hanger and the rd mounting screw.

The tolerances are so close that I’m not sure it will work on other bikes or wheelsets. Both of our frames, 49cm and 54cm, turned out exactly the same so there is hope if other manufacturer’s wheels and end cap adaptors are similar to the Eastons.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice solution to be checked as you mentioned with other hubs.
    Assume there is no any problems with shifting because of the chainline.
    Did you ground off all that can grounded or there is still any area for further dieting?

bipedal

re hanger hack

No discenrable problems with chainline, tostos. I'm not even sure why folks are concerned about small changes. How much of the time are you in the gear that gives a perfectly straight chainline? Cog spacing on an 11 speed cassette is ~4mm, so a 2.5mm off set corresponds to less than a cog change. Fortunately, modern chains are flexible enough to handle cross-overs (~20mm fully crossed).

No need to grind more off the top of the hanger since the lock ring is fixed and does not make contact. Leaving a bit protruding inside the dropouts also offers some degree of frame protection. The chain is very close to the lower part of the hanger, so a bit more could be ground off if there's evidence of chain rub (none so far). This would require grinding a smidge off the derailleur mounting screw as well since I already ground the hanger flush with the end of the screw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Spacing issues

Hi once more. I did some measures and found that there is 2,5mm space (SCS Diverge hub) between smallest cog (casstette locking screw) and chainstay even if we assume the hanger will be grounf off according to your instruction - see my picture.
    Because I have to risk and buy new 135x12 mm DT hub please advise if to do it? Possible threat is that moved cassette outward by 2,5 mm will rub the chainstay.

Could you take following measures and post them:
    - distance between smallect cog (cassette locking screw) on SCS wheel and chainstay and
    - distance between smallect cog (cassette locking screw) on your new wheel and chainstay?

best regards
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diverge anyone?-fullsizerender.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tostos View Post
    Hi once more. I did some measures and found that there is 2,5mm space (SCS Diverge hub) between smallest cog (casstette locking screw) and chainstay even if we assume the hanger will be grounf off according to your instruction - see my picture.
    Because I have to risk and buy new 135x12 mm DT hub please advise if to do it? Possible threat is that moved cassette outward by 2,5 mm will rub the chainstay.

- distance between smallect cog (cassette locking screw) on SCS wheel and chainstay and
    - distance between smallect cog (cassette locking screw) on your new wheel and chainstay?

best regards
    Tom
    Tom,
    This is unrelated to the wheel issue, but looks like you are running a rear rack on your diverge. If so, don't suppose you could post another picture or two of it and let me know what brand it is?

Thanks
    Justin

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi Justin, as i know that is the issue related with hub that is by Specialized - different spacing

As far as my rack is concerned I will post pictures on Saturday. It is really minimalist and fit perfectly this bicycle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    As far as my rack is concerned I will post pictures on Saturday. It is really minimalist and fit perfectly this bicycle.
    Thanks, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi, can not post a photo of rack at the moment. But please find the model I have - it is Tubus fly evo - very slim and would say minimalist - perfect for my Ortlieb panniers.

Soon will try to place pictures.

By the way can anyone have new ideas about rear hub that can be used on diverge?

bipedal

best regards
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

Took me a while to get another 105 11-speed cassette to mount on the stock Axis 4 wheels so I could make measurements. To minimize how much I have to reset the RD when swapping between the 2.5mm offset Axis SCS wheels and the standard EC70 wheels I put a 1mm spacer behind the cassette on the Axis wheels. This should decrease the difference between the two to ~1.5mm. This worked as I can swap wheels and tune the RD by turning the adjustment screw just a few turns and resetting the stops. (Fortunately, the brake discs also lined up, front and rear, so the wheel/tire swap is pretty straightforward.)

A photo of the Axis rear wheel with the 1mm spacer behind the cassette is below. The distance between the cassette lock ring and the shaved RD hanger is 2.0mm. (The RD hanger was shaved to protrude about 0.2mm beyond the chain stays for a bit of frame protection.) So if you account for the 1mm spacer the original clearance between the lockring and the chainstays was ~3.2mm.

Last edited by levity; 05-01-2015 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Smart solution - but please advise what kind of spacer have you used - can't imagine

bipedal
    The spacers I used are simply large, thin washers that go between the freehub and the cassette body. They have a 35mm I.D. to slide over the freehub body. 2mm aluminum spacers are commonly provided with 11-speed freehubs to allow use of a narrower 10-speed cassette. Thin steel washers (~0.5mm) are often used to protect the freehub body from being damaged by the cassette. Not sure how I ended up with the 1mm spacers. The service section of most bike shops with have a bucket of these somewhere, so you can look for the thickness you need. Just be careful to have enough threads available in the freehub for the locking to engage.

I like turtles
    Checked out the aluminum Tiagra one at the LBS today. Looks pretty cool. Looking for an offroad/gravel cross-type bike this year and this was on the list. Seems closer to a Roubaix than the Crux. Tire clearance seems like it could be an issue running wider tires. Also the lineup seems all-over; Tiagra bike for $1400 then all the way up to nearly $3K for a 105 aluminum? Seems like are just testing the waters before they make a full line-up. Could be interesting in aluminum w/105 for $2000 or so. The Crux Evo Sport (E5) is $2K with 105...not sure what is driving the Diverge to be so much more..maybe the CGR post and Shimano hydros?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    hey all,

Interesting solution to the problem, although those are some tight clearances on your modified SCS hanger. I may fall back on your plan if the following doesn't pan out.

I'm trying to use one of Specialized's own Roval Rapide SCS wheelsets, which it turns out is NOT set up to convert to thru axles with standard DT Swiss end caps. Grrr. They really made this a challenge, to understate it. I get the proprietary SCS thing (sort of) but why not make the hubs otherwise convertible?

Anyway, I picked up a pair of the Roval Rapide CL 40 wheels in the hopes that they might be convertible with end caps. Not so much.

The front is going to need a rebuild with a thru axle hub, which I think I can get done with a DT Swiss 240s hub.

For the rear, the SCS hub has an axle appropriate for the 12mm thru bolt, but the end caps are NOT standard DT Swiss caps, or at least the left isn't. I'm hoping to modify a DT Swiss left endcap to fit the way the supplied QR one does. They're the same length, but the QR cap has narrower flanges, so I'm going to take the TA cap to a machinist and see if they can grind the flanges down to the right size. I'm reasonably hopeful that the right end cap for a 142mm conversion will give the correct spacing. Will find out when it arrives.

If I'm successful, I will end up with a nice light carbon SCS wheelset that I can swap in without any brake or derailleur adjustments. The kind of thing you would hope Specialized would already have available, considering the money they are charging for this otherwise very nice bike.

I will post my results either way. Anyone else have any solutions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I have successfully converted the rear hub of a Roval Rapide CL 40 SCS disc wheelset to 135x12mm thru axle, to fit the Specialized Diverge, with no derailleur adjustment, hanger swap, or brake caliper adjustment. (I do not know if this conversion would work for the CLX 40 rear hub, but looking at the photos on the Specialized website, they look like the same hub body, so I suspect it might work, if the internal axles are the same.)

Here’s what I did:

Drive side: use the right side end cap that comes with the DT Swiss conversion kit part number HWGXXX0002193C. Note: this is actually the kit for a 142x12 conversion, but for some reason the right side cap is the right length. I suspect that’s because of the SCS system that moves the cassette body inboard 2.5mm, so you need the longer end cap to compensate. Anyway, it fits perfectly without modification.

Disc side: Get your hands on the left side end cap (longer of the two) from the conversion kit part number HWGXXX0002218S. (This is the 135x12 mm conversion kit that Specialized initially told me would work for this hub, but then retracted their statement) It seems to be available here. Here’s the sneaky part: It is the right length, but the double flanges are too wide for this hub. (another WTF? to Specialized) So, take the end cap, along with the wheel and original QR end cap, to a friendly machine shop. They can throw this little piece on the lathe and machine down the flanges to match those of the QR end cap that comes with the wheel. Ta-da. Fits perfectly. You now have the thru axle SCS rear carbon road wheel you’ve been craving for your too-precious-to-fit-anything Diverge.

The front wheel I am having rebuilt with a thru axle hub.

cheers,
    Silas

before
    Diverge anyone?-before.jpg
    after
    Diverge anyone?-after.jpg
    Last edited by modio; 10-30-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: clarity

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Just to finally update my post:

I was able to get the front wheel rebuilt with a White Industries CLD 15mm thru axle hub. The Roval CL(X) 40 front rims are drilled with an oddball 8/18 hole pattern. No after market hub fits that lacing pattern, so the trick was to use a 32 hole hub, and only lace every other hub hole on the right (non-disc) side. Ron Ruff at whitemountainwheels.com did a real pro job of it for me, and has experience building wheels with this lacing pattern. In spite of the obnoxious odyssey it took to get this done (thanks one last time, Specialized), I am super happy with how these wheels turned out. They make the Diverge feel almost like a real road bike when I've got them on, and I love the way they feel, handle, and look.

cheers,
    Silas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diverge anyone?-img_2552-1-.jpg  

Diverge anyone?-img_2552.jpg  

Diverge anyone?-img_2553.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hi!
    New to this Forum. I would like to install a mtb crankset with smaller chainring options in my Specialized Diverge comp carbon, but the local bike shop does not think that is possible without having problems.
    I live in a area with many hills
    Any information or pictures will be appreciated

unpossibles
    Regarding non-SCS hubs on the Diverge - I was able to make this work by using the derailleur hanger included as part of the QR conversion kit, and just boring out the end of the axle channel to 12mm.

Hope Pro Evo2 hubs, 11 speed drivetrain, zero issues.

Here's rougly how much material I removed to get the axle to fit:

And the bike:

Last edited by Josh_SL2; 12-01-2015 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    The 2016 CLX wheels are compatible but the 2015 ones are not due to the front hub being different.
    Home trails Swinley Forest UK

mtbr member
    Also Hope make SCS hubs for the Crux, Roubaix and Diverge.
    Hope Tech | Made in Barnoldswick, England
    Home trails Swinley Forest UK

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Specialized Diverge Owners and Enthusiasts

Hey guys, come join our active community at the Facebook group Specialized Diverge Owners and Enthusiasts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Do any of you have any more thoughts about the Diverge Vs. the Synapse? I'm buying my first road bike and have it narrowed down to either the Synapse Disc Tiagra or the Diverge DSW Elite. They seem to have a similar endurance geometry and components but I'm not sure if I can justify the extra $200 for the Diverge just to run a bigger tire. Is it worth it? Are there other differences I'm not noticing?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

bipedal
    Quote Originally Posted by evan the cdn View Post
    ... I'm not sure if I can justify the extra $200 for the Diverge just to run a bigger tire. Is it worth it? ...
    you can put skinny tires on the Diverge, but can not put fat tires on a standard road bike

if you go with a regular road bike, at some point you'll ask yourself what the ride would be like with larger tires and whether you could have taken that rough side road or trail or ???

it appears that Peter Sagan has decided to go big at this year's Paris-Roubaix race -

Peter Sagan's Paris-Roubaix bike ? Gallery | Cyclingnews.com

"... While some riders opt for 28mm tyres for Paris-Roubaix, Sagan has gone for 30mm... "

just as 25mm is the new 23mm on the road, it would appear 30mm is the new 27mm on the pavé.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What sort of saddle angle are others with CGR posts running?

I am currently trying - 4 degrees, measured using a piece of wood longer than my saddle and my phone.

-2 or less and I am convinced that once my bulk is on there, the nose feels too high. I am assuming that the CGRs compliance moves the tail of the saddle down and back slightly?

Edit: I now realise that this is almost impossible to answer. A - 4 saddle angle feels very different when 3 on the seat rail is above the clamp bolt compared to when 4 is! I need to keep tweaking but only change one thing at a time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stutto; 04-16-2016 at 07:06 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I fitted 32c all condition armadillo elite tyres this weekend, they fit under plug and play v2 guards but there is not a lot of clearance. You definitely notice more stones rattling around vs the 28c roubaix - there is more of a tread pattern, though. Currently running 60psi FR and 70psi RR, as the sidewall pressures felt far too high.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008

Diverge anyone?

Rear factory rim failed after two years of use. Decided not to rebuild because I wanted a wheel with more than 24 spokes. Switched to a non scs 135mm wheel using the Specialized S162600004 hanger. Unfortunately I'm not happy with the number of engaged threads, so I'm now looking for a slightly longer rear axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk