Disc mounting on '03 S-works Epic - HELP!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Disc mounting on '03 S-works Epic - HELP!

Please help!!! I have the bike and brakes at a shop now and they're telling me the Hayes HFX-9 are not compatible on the '03 S-Works Epic due to the Brain Shock. The wrench is telling me the hydraulic line will have to bend to the point of a kink to avoid the shock. However I know for a fact that Specialized had that very same brake as a SPEC item on the '03 Epic Disc model.

Is there any difference between disc mount and Brain location on the '03 S-Works Epic frame and the '03 Epic frame? Is my shop just missing something here? The mechanic called specialized and they said "just use Shimano", but that would mean spending an extra $500, and I really like the feel of the hayes and completely changing my choice of wheelsets, levers, etc.

Any advice on mounting the Hayes HFX-9 without kinking the hydro cable?

Is there anybody out there running the Avid Mechanical 185mm on an '03 S-works Epic?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For what is worth at seaotter the factory racers had hayes disk brakes on the 04 s works both the FS and HT

Jan 2004

Funny, I was really unimpressed by Hayes hydros.

Real weak compared to my Avid mechs. Found a set of Avid hydros on Ebay for $300. Entry point of line on Avid hydros is adjustable for just such a clearance problem.

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by VTSEAL
    Please help!!! I have the bike and brakes at a shop now and they're telling me the Hayes HFX-9 are not compatible on the '03 S-Works Epic due to the Brain Shock. The wrench is telling me the hydraulic line will have to bend to the point of a kink to avoid the shock. However I know for a fact that Specialized had that very same brake as a SPEC item on the '03 Epic Disc model.

Is there any difference between disc mount and Brain location on the '03 S-Works Epic frame and the '03 Epic frame? Is my shop just missing something here? The mechanic called specialized and they said "just use Shimano", but that would mean spending an extra $500, and I really like the feel of the hayes and completely changing my choice of wheelsets, levers, etc.

Any advice on mounting the Hayes HFX-9 without kinking the hydro cable?

Is there anybody out there running the Avid Mechanical 185mm on an '03 S-works Epic?

Jan 2004
    Well I'm not sure about the Hayes HFX-9's, but my Hope Mini needed to be slightly adjusted. Luckily, the Mini has a banjo nut that you can swivel to avoid hitting the brain. Maybe the HFX-9 does too? Check out the picture to see what I mean.

And by the way, a 185mm rotor will not fit on the rear of the Epic. There's barely enough room for a 165mm.

- Jeremy -
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    OK, here's the dope. I talked at length to Specialized Tech Support and Hayes Disc Tech Support and there is a simple solution.

IF you have the Hayes with the Generation 1 (G1) caliper, there is a special 90* banjo fitting for it (part # BR-7773) any shop can order from QBP or check BIKEUSA.

IF you have the '04 HFX9 XC with the new G2 caliper (like me) then you need the Spare Hose Kit (part #98-16593) which is the 1600mm G2 Hydraulic Hose kit with a 30* banjo fitting. Just swap hoses and you're there.

By the way, the rear bracket for mounting HFX-9 to the '03 Epic is part #98-15073 and it works fine.

Thanks for help all.