OMG!

demo 8 rim problems

I just got my new demo 8 last wednesday and it's already broken! On the second ride of its life, three days after I picked it up from the shop, the rear DT Swiss EX5.1 rim is destroyed. I was running 35 psi in the stock 2.3 chunders while riding a multi use trail with nothing too hardcore. Now, the rims look like they've been ridden down the lava gardens of Angel Fire with no tires. Like a stick of butter smashed with a sledge hammer. The shop is telling me that specialized won't warranty it. I'm pretty pissed and not quite sure what to do. Maybe I'll have them fix it and then put the bike up on ebay so I can buy a glory. This is ridiculous. How is a company going to spec malleable rims on the biggest baddest bike they have to offer. Anyone else had problems with these rims? or think i should stop payment on the check before it goes through?

mtbr member
    the only solution to that is to ride smoother...
    God made Firefighters so that Cops could have heroes.

03 BuLLit - Retired
    SX Trail 2007/66 Rc2x
    Demo 9 Pro/888 Rc2x

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I donīt think they should warranty it either, light rims being buckled by riding is no warranty issue. Now why would you sell the bike just because itīs specced with leightweight racing rims, thatīs just stupid.. the 5.1d are only 500g but do not stand up well to rocks. Buy mavic 721 rims and replace the 5.1s with and never worry again! Just change the rims and keep on riding and smiling..
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

dirt visionary
    rims breaking have nothing to do with the demo just user abuse.

OMG!
    I ended up getting some 823's because I know from experience they're tough as nails.

Specialized spec'd the wrong rims for the d8. Here's how the 5.1d's are marketed- "A hybrid between the lightweight XR4.1d cross-country rim and heavier-duty DH specific rims - perfect for "all mountain" riders" (beyondbikes.com). Whoever was working at specialized that thought the d8 was an "all mountain" bike should have been working on the stumpjumper or enduro- maybe you're the same guy who thinks this is a race rim. I don't even want to think what would happen to this rim on a downhill course at race speed.

My .02- if you're buying a demo and planning on riding it the way it was meant to be ridden, save yourself some trouble and switch out the 5.1's right away- you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't. A $6,300 downhill bike shouldn't have anything break within an hour of light riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yup, the 5.1 is a lightweight rim and I think they specced it just to drop below some weight or retain a certain race-feel to it. For pure racers, itīs a good rim saving a lot of weight, but they have to be replaced rather often by your pit mechanic.. In reality however, those rims donīt hold up to everyday DH-abuse, just like you said.
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

Now with flavor!!
    Welcome to dt swiss rims

Those things are garbage. The ones that come on the d8s and d7s are extra garbage.

It's not 'user abuse'. Those things are xc rims. Actually I'd say anyone who rides those stock wheels and doesn't destroy them quickly rides like a fairy.

Just buy a decent sunn or mavic rim and be done with it. I don't know a single person who's had those rims last more than a few rides. And no exaggeration.......I've got 8 friends on those bikes, not including me.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Members who have read this thread: 0