Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread

I think it is time to separate the SJ and SJ Evo threads for the new bikes.

Picking up my bike next week and figuring out my build right now. Bought the base model since that is what I could find (only shop that would pick up the phone and take a deposit). There are a few Experts out there, one on my way home from UT, but not sure if I should grab it or not. I like the idea of the Performance Elite 36, but not sure it would save me much money since I will be replacing almost everything anyway. Haven't ridden Shimano gearing for a while so it will be fun to try out again and that is a positive for the Comp.

Planned build right now is;

S4 frame
    2021 36 Fork
    WR1 Carbon rims on Profile AC2 hubs
    Renthal bars/Profile stem
    EE Wings Cranks/King BB
    Stock XFusion 190mm post (one of my favorites on the market right now)
    Sram AXS shifting
    Saint Brakes

This will get done over the next month or so since parts are hard to get. Will try the stock DPX2 rear shock, but it is highly likely I will switch over to an X2 rear pretty quickly.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've ditched my 2020 Enduro for one - which was a great bike for going fast on, but still a bit of a trophy truck for most other stuff. not being a fan on massive bikes either, I was kind of between sizes - the S4 just feels a bit to big.

UK availability is patchy (now non existent) so I picked up an Expert. Ditched a load of the bits I won't use & ended up with:

Expert Frame - S4
    Performance Elite fork (feel really good out of the box)
    DPX2
    Full XX1/X01 groupset but XTR rear mech
    BikeYoke 213 dropper
    Code RSC
    DT XM1501 30mm wheelset
    Maxxis Assegai/DHR2
    OneUp Bars/Burgtec stem.

Been out on it a few times now, and it is seriously lively compared to the Enduro. For 95% of my riding this is going to be the better bike. I'm sure those trip away in the Alps & bigger races (if they happen next year) I will have sections I wish I was on the Enduro for, but so far so good.

It is also a 'lot' lighter. Sub 30lb in that spec - although to be fair my Enduro was a coil shock & fork & DD/DH tyres rather than EXO+/DD. Even so over 7lb difference is a lot & is absolutely noticeable

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have an S5 frame only on order but with no set delivery date. If anyone has a line on an S5 frame only I'd love to be notified.
    I'll break down my old bike (Foxy 29) to build the new one, but it's going to get EXT suspension from the get go. Also I ordered TS brakes sometime back that will be going on as well.
    Eager to get this going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Just heard from my dude that my bike should be ready any day now... stoked is an understatement. Too bad it's 21* out today. Should warm up a bit so I can at least get a few end of season sessions in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Anybody knows when Specialized will release more Evo's ?

Also did anyone bought an LTD version ? It was in the press release but so far I haven't seen one...

All you guys are pretty lucky ! Enjoy it and post some pics !

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaz View Post

Also did anyone bought an LTD version ? It was in the press release but so far I haven't seen one...

My LBS has them for order. In fact it looks like they have almost every model still available for November delivery. I have only talked with them about my order so I don't know how accurate this is...

If people want to order one I'll pick it up and ship it to you at your expense

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com

mtbr member

Where are you located? You can't be picky right now on the build if you want one before next spring, but they are out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I don't think LTD's are getting delivered yet in the US since they are not even on the site. I do know they were part of the pre-order that shops entered before the official release. My shop has one on order but who knows when it will ship.

And I agree with Salespunk... New Stumpy Release + Covid = Don't be picky, and don't hesitate if you find something available unless you are really okay with waiting a long time...

mtbr member
    My S-Works Evo will arrive next week. Pretty stoked to test this bike out. Right now im enjoying the S-works SJ which is a solid bike.

mtbr member
    I got really lucky this afternoon. Was randomly hitting refresh on the Specialized site while on a Zoom call and a black S4 Evo Expert popped up at the shop where I have my Comp waiting. While still on the Zoom call I dialed them up on my cell, guy says they are sold out but he will check for me. 2 minutes later "Found it in the new shipment and put your name on it. You can pick it up Friday." BOOM!

Stoked to get the XO1 since I have a ton of spares plus the Performance Elite suspension.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I got really lucky this afternoon. Was randomly hitting refresh on the Specialized site while on a Zoom call and a black S4 Evo Expert popped up at the shop where I have my Comp waiting. While still on the Zoom call I dialed them up on my cell, guy says they are sold out but he will check for me. 2 minutes later "Found it in the new shipment and put your name on it. You can pick it up Friday." BOOM!

Stoked to get the XO1 since I have a ton of spares plus the Performance Elite suspension.
    Luck of the draw... Nice man! Expert build really hits the sweet spot IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Are there any high quality 34.9mm dropper posts available?

PS. I have no delivery date on my frame but it is ordered. My first Specialized.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post

PS. I have no delivery date on my frame but it is ordered. My first Specialized.
    BikeYoke Revive Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member

LTD Build shown in vid

Just spotted this one. At the 3 min mark. That thing looks very sweet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbhtzXvmLI
    Have a nice ride!

mtbr member

As someone else said, Bikeyoke, but I also like the XFusion Manic just as much and it is half the price. Also, PNW, Rockshox, etc make a 34.9 now as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions on droppers guys. Adding new gear is half the fun. The OneUp looks like the best all around 34.9 post to me. Reasonable weight, very low stack, low cost.

What's a bummer is there seems to be no timeline at all for a delivery date of my Evo S5 frame, and if I would have ordered a few days earlier, they were available immediately. Winter is our riding season in TX so the idea of a March or April delivery is really unappealing.

If anyone gets a line on an S5 frame only, let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I went with a OneUp 210mm dropper for my S5... I'll post some pics once it gets in.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions on droppers guys. Adding new gear is half the fun. The OneUp looks like the best all around 34.9 post to me. Reasonable weight, very low stack, low cost.

What's a bummer is there seems to be no timeline at all for a delivery date of my Evo S5 frame, and if I would have ordered a few days earlier, they were available immediately. Winter is our riding season in TX so the idea of a March or April delivery is really unappealing.

The Expert is available here on the west coast in S5, but no frame only options.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a shimmed BikeYoke - 31.6mm. Works fine in the seat tube & was a carry over from a previous bike.

That said the X-Fusion post was suprisingly good on my Enduro when I used it for a short while - just too short for me (although it weighs a tonne!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I ordered a 213mm Bike Yoke in 30.9 and am going to use the existing shim. I assume Specialized didn't use the 34.9 Reverb AXS because it weighs literally a ton.

I have the V2 Oneup on another bike and while it works fine and is a good value, it's not on the same level as Bike Yoke for smoothness...why I didn't go that route.

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have had a shimmed 31.6 BikeYoke Revive in my Evo since new. Works great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Think I'll just reuse a rebuilt KS LEV Ci 175 I have on the shelf for now. It's paid for and quite light.

That 210mm V2 weighs 710 grams but I'm sure it's a sturdy unit with that diameter.

So now that this is worked out, just need a frame!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What's funny is the SJ Evo is advertised everywhere, but can't be bought. What's the point in that?

fraid of heights
    What's funny is the SJ Evo is advertised everywhere, but can't be bought. What's the point in that?
    To build stoke for when they come back in stock...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Not sure where everybody is from but there are numerous shops near me with them in stock. They have s-works and experts. No Pro models yet (should be arriving within a week or two).
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 412MTB View Post
    Not sure where everybody is from but there are numerous shops near me with them in stock. They have s-works and experts. No Pro models yet (should be arriving within a week or two).
    Might help to let people know where you're at with the copious amounts of bikes in stock

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by piff View Post
    Might help to let people know where you're at with the copious amounts of bikes in stock
    Sorry thought my profile would say where I was from. Iím right outside of Pittsburgh. Dirty Harryís and Pro Bike and Run have them in stock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Or if it takes too long people will go buy something else

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Not sure that's an option for most manufacturers. As far as I can tell very few brands have bikes to sell.

Or if it takes too long people will go buy something else

mtbr member
    Has anyone noticed how close the chain guide is to the bottom pivot? iím rebuilding an evo expert and the stock setup is less than a millimeter away from touching. Iím sure i can shim it out but i donít remember this being so close on my previous 2019 stumpy...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Ordered a S-Works S3 frame in Germany, but the delivery times are horrable...

Will put my parts from my Megatower:

36 Factory 2021
    Newmen SL.A30 wheels 2020
    GX dricetrain with X1 carbon crank
    Code RSC
    BikeYoke Revive 185 shimmed

Still thinking about mixing the builds up by ordering a Expert Evo because it could be available in december AND IĎm not a huge fan of the framekit color

Looks like I got to wait for some riding impressions from you all here 😃

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebov View Post
    Ordered a S-Works S3 frame in Germany, but the delivery times are horrable...

Will put my parts from my Megatower:

36 Factory 2021
    Newmen SL.A30 wheels 2020
    GX dricetrain with X1 carbon crank
    Code RSC
    BikeYoke Revive 185 shimmed

Still thinking about mixing the builds up by ordering a Expert Evo because it could be available in december AND IĎm not a huge fan of the framekit color

Looks like I got to wait for some riding impressions from you all here 

i am located in Greece. was ready to pull the trigger on a s3 sworks complete bike but i was quoted a delivery date around May. they could not give me a date for a frame.

mtbr member
    Yes. I've got an s-works S3. Initially I removed the bash/guide since i was replacing the ring with an Absolute Black oval 32 and their lower bash to match. Running that no problem for a week now, not really too worried about it throwing a chain, however if I did, it would be a real bummer, as it would surely scrape up the beautiful gloss black down there on the frame. So, I just put the MRP bash/guide back on and it has very tight clearance. I think it will be fine, but just wanted to confirm that it is indeed really tight. The bike's light enough that I'm not stressing the added weight of the guide and feeling good about the added security.
    Have a nice ride!

mtbr member
    First ride

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

Totally different bike from the Enduro

mtbr member
    Just put in a order at my local bike shop for a Comp. I love the SRAM drivetrain but canít stand the brakes. My Code Rs on my Enduro fade like no other and are so inconsistent I have no faith in them. For the price everything looks good on the comp but the fork. So Iím hoping I can get the shop to drop a Grip 2 in there for free. Timeline is Jan so gotta put up for sale my 2020 Enduro probably in December. Love the Enduro but it doesnít make me want to go out and do simple easy rides. Not that itís a pig by any means it climbs great but looking forward to something a little more sprightly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 412MTB View Post
    Whereís this at??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by piff View Post
    My LBS has them for order. In fact it looks like they have almost every model still available for November delivery. I have only talked with them about my order so I don't know how accurate this is...

If people want to order one I'll pick it up and ship it to you at your expense

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com
    I may take you up on this.

mtbr member
    First ride

Totally different bike from the Enduro
    Oooohh. Looking forward to a report. Iíve got an expert on order to replace my Enduro.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Seems like everyone here is bailing out of their '20 Enduro. Elaborate?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Not me...keeping both :-)

mtbr member
    I am keeping both as well. The Enduro is a brute and absolutely unstoppable. Fantastic bike for the steeps and high speed chunder. The Evo is way more agile and playful. With the Enduro you point it straight anything and let go of the brakes. With the Evo you can get through the same stuff, but it needs better line choices and the ability to pull up when necessary. The Evo excels when you want to throw the bike around more and hop over things rather than plow through.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    I may take you up on this.

They had an S4 Expert build in stock as of Friday. I almost picked it up rather than the black version I got.

mtbr member

They had an S4 Expert build in stock as of Friday. I almost picked it up rather than the black version I got.
    Which shop?? I just hate the Sram brakes on the Expert but tempted.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I tend to flip my bikes anyway because if I time it well, they don't actually cost me anything & I had the opportunity to do so.

The Enduro certainly wasn't a bad bike though - it was in fact really good. But its positive is also it's downfall in my opinion - it needs to go fast & hard all the time & it's a big bike to pedal around, even with the local terrain. Racing has also been non existent this year in the UK, so seemed pointless to keep it.

The Evo I would wager is 99.9% as fast, but more playful & has the ability to be set up for varying terrains. Sadly I never got to race the Enduro but I think there maybe a small handful of times a year it would be the better bike for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-20201031_155051.jpg

just did a three day Moab run with the Comp Evo. not much to add other than some new Enve M9 50mm rise bars have it feeling so much better. definitely need to swap out the rotors.

have just over 120 miles on the bike so far and am very impressed. definitely more of a line finder than a plow bike. ideal for some of the tech in Moab.

very surprised how well the T9 Butcher has held up. Eliminator is showing some wear but nothing abnormal.

hope everyone that got on the first shipment has been enjoying theirs as much as I have!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

I ordered a LTD in S4. First delivery date was mid of October, now delayed to mid of November. LBS told me, that this delivery date should be pretty safe.

mtbr member
    Which shop?? I just hate the Sram brakes on the Expert but tempted.

Erik's Bikes in Hurricane UT. There were quite a few out there in general last time I looked. I just passed on a Comp at Cynergy Cycles in Santa Monica because they got in an Expert and I grabbed that instead. If you share your zip code and size I can tell you where the closest bikes are.

mtbr member
    Erik's Bikes in Hurricane UT. There were quite a few out there in general last time I looked. I just passed on a Comp at Cynergy Cycles in Santa Monica because they got in an Expert and I grabbed that instead. If you share your zip code and size I can tell you where the closest bikes are.
    Cool thanks. Iíll give them a ring. Iím in Albuquerque so thatís a tad far to drive. The closest bikes to me are about 6 hours away in Arizona or Colorado. And I know none of these shops will ship.

mtbr member
    Well, found a place with a black Expert S4 in stock and decided to buy it. Figured the upgrade was worth it since I was going to buy a grip 2 dampener anyways. I just hope the Code RS brakes donít fade like the Code Rs due. Hopefully will get it this week depending on work schedule.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the stem length?? All I see on the website is 35mm bar bore for the Expert.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    S4 has a 50mm stem

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonorous View Post
    S4 has a 50mm stem

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Thatís what I thought thanks!

mtbr member
    I am keeping both as well. The Enduro is a brute and absolutely unstoppable. Fantastic bike for the steeps and high speed chunder. The Evo is way more agile and playful. With the Enduro you point it straight anything and let go of the brakes. With the Evo you can get through the same stuff, but it needs better line choices and the ability to pull up when necessary. The Evo excels when you want to throw the bike around more and hop over things rather than plow through.
    What's your thoughts on the new Evo compare to the older model?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Fanatik has pre-order available on S5 S-Works in either color, with an ETA of mid-December. That ain't bad at all. They're one of a handful of Specialized dealers whose dealer agreements allow them to ship frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    What's your thoughts on the new Evo compare to the older model?
    New bike feels much more lively and definitely pedals better. I need more time on it to get a really good opinion, but I am off the bike for a few weeks unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23 View Post
    Fanatik has pre-order available on S5 S-Works in either color, with an ETA of mid-December. That ain't bad at all. They're one of a handful of Specialized dealers whose dealer agreements allow them to ship frames.
    Thanks for the lead.
    I've paid for a frame thru Mike's Bikes and frankly they have been fantastic, responsive and what not. They emailed me just today and told me that Spesh was to provide them with a good approximate delivery date this week.
    Spesh, told me that no more frames were expected this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    New bike feels much more lively and definitely pedals better. I need more time on it to get a really good opinion, but I am off the bike for a few weeks unfortunately.
    Hopefully you didn't fall off and bust yourself up. And thanks for the pedaling report, that's a large factor for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hmmmm... does anybody have some comparison to the megatower. Heard some voices that the Evo should be more fun. But I donĎt want to loose too much Ąplowabilityď.
    Thx!

mtbr member
    Hopefully you didn't fall off and bust yourself up. And thanks for the pedaling report, that's a large factor for me.
    Didn't fall off, just life getting in the way

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Didn't fall off, just life getting in the way
    Know what youĎre talking about... and the winter in the bavarian Alps as well

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's too hot here in the Summer to enjoy riding so this is our season.

Just got word that my frame should reach me around mid-January.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    can anyone compare the stumpy evo to the megatower? been deciding between the two. at 6ī1" i would take an xl mt or an s5 stumpy evo. stumpy should be similar in behaviour or is it more playful than mt? wheelbase is even longer on the evo.
    regards

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

SJ Evo, Semi-custom, S4, Done - 29.1lbs with pedals, cage, tool

Just finished building and swapping bits out to make it what I wanted. Haven't had a chance to ride it in the dirt yet. Looks good. Hard to get the bars low enough with the relatively tall head tube. I'm just under 5'11" and the S3 felt too small and I wish the S4 were just a little smaller. Need a S3.5, so went with the S4 with a 40mm stem. Still need to plug the dropper cable holes.

Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-table-2.jpgDedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-table-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Check sizing

Quote Originally Posted by dr.juggles View Post
    can anyone compare the stumpy evo to the megatower? been deciding between the two. at 6ī1" i would take an xl mt or an s5 stumpy evo. stumpy should be similar in behaviour or is it more playful than mt? wheelbase is even longer on the evo.
    regards
    At 6'1", I'd suggest trying the S4 SJ Evo. Probably big enough and I'm sure the Size L Megatower would be plenty big.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaktm View Post
    Just finished building and swapping bits out to make it what I wanted. Haven't had a chance to ride it in the dirt yet. Looks good. Hard to get the bars low enough with the relatively tall head tube. I'm just under 5'11" and the S3 felt too small and I wish the S4 were just a little smaller. Need a S3.5, so went with the S4 with a 40mm stem. Still need to plug the dropper cable holes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Table - 2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	393.0 KB 
ID:	1375477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Table - 1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	1375479
    Be careful about how you measure stack. I just made a mistake on my setups and it took me a few months to figure out the issue on my Kenevo. If you are trying to mirror your previous setup make sure to measure your bar height from the center of the BB and not from the floor.

Not saying that is the issue here since it would be backwards from the problem you are describing, just thought I would mention it. Made a huge difference once I got the proper setup on my Kevevo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    s4 has just a reach of 475 thats too short for my liking. last few bikes were santa cruz xl with 490 reach which is perfect..shorter reach and i feel like i go over the bars. transition sentinel in large from a buddy with 475 reach feels too small.

mtbr member
    Got my first ride in today. At 5'8 the S3 fits perfect with a 40mm stem. Im running the same setup on my regular stumpy. The bike rips and with minimal setup it felt pretty dialed right away.

Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-evo.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.juggles View Post
    s4 has just a reach of 475 thats too short for my liking. last few bikes were santa cruz xl with 490 reach which is perfect..shorter reach and i feel like i go over the bars. transition sentinel in large from a buddy with 475 reach feels too small.
    I've ordered an S5, and I'm only a 5'11" but with oddly long arms and legs (I actually lost 3/4-1" of height in my spine after shattering it).

Unfortunately I don't get to ride tons of bikes, but I just tried to match up mostly reach but also stack and top tube to what I have on my existing bike (L Mondraker) and the direction I'd like to change it in. Also I really wanted to try a longer CS as I suspect my current short CS's combined with my long front center is why it's hard to get enough front traction and the S4 has the short CS.

But everyone seems to be going so small that I can't help but wonder if I screwed up. Can't imagine going shorter than my current bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Will the BSA BB that I installed on my Foxy 29 when new, simply unscrew from my Foxy and thread in to my new Evo frame (when it arrives)?

Are they all the same? Don't want to screw anything up.

mtbr member
    I've ordered an S5, and I'm only a 5'11" but with oddly long arms and legs (I actually lost 3/4-1" of height in my spine after shattering it).

Unfortunately I don't get to ride tons of bikes, but I just tried to match up mostly reach but also stack and top tube to what I have on my existing bike (L Mondraker) and the direction I'd like to change it in. Also I really wanted to try a longer CS as I suspect my current short CS's combined with my long front center is why it's hard to get enough front traction and the S4 has the short CS.

But everyone seems to be going so small that I can't help but wonder if I screwed up. Can't imagine going shorter than my current bike.
    The S5 Evo has the same reach as the S4 Enduro so you will be fine. They are designed so that you can size up or down based on preference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The S5 Evo has the same reach as the S4 Enduro so you will be fine. They are designed so that you can size up or down based on preference.
    I noticed the same regarding S4 E29 = S5 Evo. Thanks.

Think I just prefer being a bit stretched out and in fact I run a 45mm stem on my Foxy (stock was 30mm) and honestly I could go longer. So the S5 with like a 35-40mm stem is no longer in any regard. Same stack can be achieved by just running a bit flatter bar.

The SJ Evo is going to be a much longer bike either way as a result of the slacker HTA, steeper STA, and longer CS. That's going to be... different. A few tight, janky, awkward turns around here.

mtbr member
    Whatís everyone using for rear shock pressure? The website recommends 300psi and I weight 210-215 fully geared. Thatís canít be right can it???

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Whatís everyone using for rear shock pressure? The website recommends 300psi and I weight 210-215 fully geared. Thatís canít be right can it???

Yep the web tool was way off for me as well suggesting close to 300 psi. I'm 205-210 with gear running somewhere around 260 psi./~30% sag.

I did try the recommended psi and it was like 15% sag or something crazy like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trumphair View Post
    Yep the web tool was way off for me as well suggesting close to 300 psi. I'm 205-210 with gear running somewhere around 260 psi./~30% sag.

I did try the recommended psi and it was like 15% sag or something crazy like that.

Good to know I kinda figured. I havenít been impressed with Specialized tuning webpage. Very poor compared to Yetiís and some others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    pretty sure the online tool is setup for the old suspension curve. i'm 190 and have been running 220 on my S5 at 30% sag.

mtbr member
    Well, found a place with a black Expert S4 in stock and decided to buy it. Figured the upgrade was worth it since I was going to buy a grip 2 dampener anyways. I just hope the Code RS brakes donít fade like the Code Rs due. Hopefully will get it this week depending on work schedule.

Curious to hear your impressions of this bike vs the Enduro. We live in the same area and I really dig my Enduro for most riding but now that it's foothills season the new Stumpys are looking good.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Curious to hear your impressions of this bike vs the Enduro. We live in the same area and I really dig my Enduro for most riding but now that it's foothills season the new Stumpys are looking good.
    Ya, I really enjoyed the Enduro as it climbs up pretty much everything you want. But it just felt like a lot of bike majority of the time. So thatís I why I decided to try the Stumpy. Should get my first rides Thursday and Friday. Though, Iím a little bummed that my new bike came scratched and trying to figure out the best corse of action. Itís on the top tube which drives me crazy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Itís on the top tube which drives me crazy.
    Oof that would drive me crazy on a brand new bike! I assume that the shop or Specialized won't do anything about it. I would ask to get comp'ed in some way.

I would recommend to color the scratches with a black Sharpie. It should reduce the eyesore nature of them significantly...

My S4 S-Works is at my shop and I should be picking it up this weekend. Thankfully it has no scratches! I am just having a couple things upgraded pre-delivery.

mtbr member
    Oof that would drive me crazy on a brand new bike! I assume that the shop or Specialized won't do anything about it. I would ask to get comp'ed in some way.

I would recommend to color the scratches with a black Sharpie. It should reduce the eyesore nature of them significantly...

My S4 S-Works is at my shop and I should be picking it up this weekend. Thankfully it has no scratches! I am just having a couple things upgraded pre-delivery.
    Yup, and the resale value takes a nose dive. Iím waiting to hear back to see what they will do. Either way I almost just want to return it completely.

fraid of heights
    Those scratches suck big time for a new bike, that's something you at least want to have a good story about... Did they know what happened? Did somebody fess up, or shipping damage or something.

Just found out my s5 evo that they said should be here in November is now slated for nobody knows when it will be here but eventually and I can get my money back... Fme...

Crappy thing is I just dumped my Sentinel for cheap to make room before it got here. DAMN

Kinda thinking about driving to pick up the regular stumpy to ride in the meantime and to have as a shorter travel bike. But not sure I can get away this weekend and pickens are SLIM!

mtbr member
    Those scratches suck big time for a new bike, that's something you at least want to have a good story about... Did they know what happened? Did somebody fess up, or shipping damage or something.

Just found out my s5 evo that they said should be here in November is now slated for nobody knows when it will be here but eventually and I can get my money back... Fme...

Crappy thing is I just dumped my Sentinel for cheap to make room before it got here. DAMN

Kinda thinking about driving to pick up the regular stumpy to ride in the meantime and to have as a shorter travel bike. But not sure I can get away this weekend and pickens are SLIM!
    Yup, shipping so there going through the shipper to see if they will pay anything out for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Sentinel V2 ? If so, why's that ?

I just ordered one this morning since the SJ Evo is probably out of stock till 2022 and I don't want to risk not having a bike for next season.

fraid of heights
    just a V1 with the Cascade link. BUT I would have kept it until I had the Evo in hand if they'd have told me originally what they did yesterday.

Shit happens, I believe that the shop told me what they were being told at the time and that it was the best information they had. Just sucks...

From what the shop told me the US distribution comes in and then they allocate from what they received VS all of the orders they have to fill because the bikes are oversold. So they are just kind of sprinkling them across the country filling orders. So it's less like having a bike on order as it is winning the allocation lottery!

Anyway, that's cool that you found a Sentinel V2 to buy!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    All I can say is that I hope that you are incorrect and I was given a pretty firm delivery date to Spesh of my actual frame in Mid-December. Now with Covid I get that deliveries could be delayed a bit and I'm prepared for shipping delays, but not some massive production delay.

Guess I'll just hope for the best.

Also, don't ever sell the old bike until you have the new one in hand.

fraid of heights
    I only know what they told me...? If they are blowing smoke to cover their tails that would PMTFO. But, no point in worrying about it unless I know different or there is something I can do to change it? Be great if someone in the know could chime in...

I know, was trying to avoid the guilt trip! AND we got an honest 12 inches of snow the week before that kinda put the spur into getting it sold... And I've still got my Honzo to ride.

Good luck!! Everyone WITH Evo's keep posting pics!!

mtbr member
    This is how my evo currently sits. I bought an expert and stripped it down to the frame which was all I wanted due to color options. Anyways, I am waiting on some Zipp 3Zero Moto wheels to show up before installing the brakes and chain. I stole the wheels from my new stumpjumper or else it would be out on the trails!Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-img_0970.jpg

mtbr member
    and if someone knows how to flip the picture then please let me know... i can't figure out why this keeps happening...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by something clever... View Post
    and if someone knows how to flip the picture then please let me know... I can't figure out why this keeps happening...
    FIFY (I have seen that happen a lot from iPhones but it's just speculation)

Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-tapatalk_495683103-01.jpeg

mtbr member
    FIFY (I have seen that happen a lot from iPhones but it's just speculation)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tapatalk_495683103-01.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	1376699
    yep. i used my iphone to snap the pic

mtbr member
    Got my first ride today and it was pretty terrible. I tried setting up my sag and came to around 285 for 30% sag which I couldnít believe. Got out and felt like I had a hard tail between my legs. Against my better judgement I thought Iíd try to let out some air without a shock pump and you guessed it I let out too much. So I returned home not finishing the entire ride. When I got home I rechecked everything and realized I used 50mm (small shock) vs the 55mm shock size on the rest of the lineup. Not that it makes a huge difference but I lowered it to 265 which is a little more then 30% sag. We will try again tomorrow in Glorietta which should be fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Congrats to you guys with your EVOs. I went to my LBS last Friday where they were having an SJ event thrown by Specialized. Had some corporate guys there. (Product manager, regional rep to stores etc) They couldnít even tell me when Iíd get my 21 SJ EVO Expert. Said theyíre constrained by the component manufacturers. Theyíre building them as fast as they can.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It is (and will continue to be) an issue, there are manufacturers out there who are unable to get Fox product until mid '21 now as an example.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Glad I just need a frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Glad I just need a frame.

They come with a Fox shock...

mtbr member
    Got my first ride today and it was pretty terrible. I tried setting up my sag and came to around 285 for 30% sag which I couldnít believe. Got out and felt like I had a hard tail between my legs. Against my better judgement I thought Iíd try to let out some air without a shock pump and you guessed it I let out too much. So I returned home not finishing the entire ride. When I got home I rechecked everything and realized I used 50mm (small shock) vs the 55mm shock size on the rest of the lineup. Not that it makes a huge difference but I lowered it to 265 which is a little more then 30% sag. We will try again tomorrow in Glorietta which should be fun!

Just an FYI a shock pump fits in the downtube for setup rides. On new bikes I carry almost everything to that it would take to rebuild the bike or make changes for the first 5 or 10 rides.

What is your weight? These bikes have a wide range of "30%" sag pressures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    It is (and will continue to be) an issue, there are manufacturers out there who are unable to get Fox product until mid '21 now as an example.
    I have heard that is the constraint issue right now. They don't expect new stock until the MY22 Fox stuff is released.

mtbr member
    Thatís a good idea I thought about putting one in there. Iím terrible about riding with a shock pump the first few rides. Iím around 215 and specialized recommended 300psi which is just crazy talk.

mtbr member
    We will try again tomorrow in Glorietta which should be fun!
    Interested to hear about that! Make sure to hit the new jump trail!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

n8_
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anyone done any big 25 mile / 5000'+ days with their Evo yet? I have an expert on order and I am coming from a 2016 Norco Optic - 120 rear travel. I'm a bit concerned about the efficiency of the Evo. 75% of my climbs are doubletrack, the rest techy singletrack. Just curious what people's experience has been. I'm a little worried I should be riding the standard SJ.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by n8_ View Post
    Has anyone done any big 25 mile / 5000'+ days with their Evo yet? I have an expert on order and I am coming from a 2016 Norco Optic - 120 rear travel. I'm a bit concerned about the efficiency of the Evo. 75% of my climbs are doubletrack, the rest techy singletrack. Just curious what people's experience has been. I'm a little worried I should be riding the standard SJ.
    Not on the 2021 SJ Evo as mine has not arrived yet, but I've done plenty big rides like you describe on the 2020 Enduro and the 2019 SJ Evo Alloy as well as a few other Enduros and SJs. I also have the Epic Evo which somewhat similar to your Optic. I think the new SJ Evo will be perfect for these types of Epics ...as long as it is not a requirement that you crush all the uphills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by n8_ View Post
    i have done a couple of big rides and it is significantly better than the my19 LT i replaced it with. generally up 5k in a shot or 2K up/down and 2K up/down so nothing really marathon style. definitely doesn't ride like a big 160/150 bike. its agile.

n8_
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Awesome thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just picked up my bike. First ride tomorrow!

Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-4n8a4217.jpg

Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-4n8a4157.jpg

mtbr member
    So, I am happy to report that the bike felt much better today in Glorieta. For those not familiar with it they typically do one of the BME races there the past few years. Steep and rocky with some fun flow sections. Here are some initial impressions of the EVO compared to my Enduro. I rode in the neutral position.

Climbing: I think Iím a little out of the shape since I havenít been able to bike as much as I normally do the last two months or so. So take this with a grain of salt. The EVO climbs good without much pedal bob but feels way different then the Enduro. Climbing with the Enduro I just sat back and grinded out climbs nice and slowly and felt like I was driving a tank. The EVO is much more sprightly and doesnít feel like a 150-160 bike on the ups. But for some reason the gearing seemed harder and my legs just donít feel as comfortable on the bike. Itís hard to explain but I wonder if itís just getting used to a shorter cockpit compared to the Enduro since the reach is significantly smaller. Both being the S4 size. I still feel like the Yeti SB 150 climbs a little better then the EVO but need more time on it.

Descending: we did some steep rocky terrain and the bike handled it beautifully. I never felt out gunned. Doesnít have that plow ability of the Enduro but being able to maneuver through rocks and turns was so much easier. The cornering was also superb. I didnít expect the bike to feel as progressive as the Enduro but feels pretty close. I actually enjoyed the jumps more so on the EVO. It pops off things so much easier and obviously feels more playful. Compared to the SB150 I would say that probably descends a little better and feels more like a plow bike compared to EVO. Iím curious to slacken out the EVO to 64 degrees on some of those steeps to see how that feels.

Overall, I feel much better about my purchase. I think itís going to be a solid bike for pretty much any ride. Canít wait to play with more settings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So, I am happy to report that the bike felt much better today in Glorieta. For those not familiar with it they typically do one of the BME races there the past few years. Steep and rocky with some fun flow sections. Here are some initial impressions of the EVO compared to my Enduro. I rode in the neutral position.

Climbing: I think Iím a little out of the shape since I havenít been able to bike as much as I normally do the last two months or so. So take this with a grain of salt. The EVO climbs good without much pedal bob but feels way different then the Enduro. Climbing with the Enduro I just sat back and grinded out climbs nice and slowly and felt like I was driving a tank. The EVO is much more sprightly and doesnít feel like a 150-160 bike on the ups. But for some reason the gearing seemed harder and my legs just donít feel as comfortable on the bike. Itís hard to explain but I wonder if itís just getting used to a shorter cockpit compared to the Enduro since the reach is significantly smaller. Both being the S4 size. I still feel like the Yeti SB 150 climbs a little better then the EVO but need more time on it.

Descending: we did some steep rocky terrain and the bike handled it beautifully. I never felt out gunned. Doesnít have that plow ability of the Enduro but being able to maneuver through rocks and turns was so much easier. The cornering was also superb. I didnít expect the bike to feel as progressive as the Enduro but feels pretty close. I actually enjoyed the jumps more so on the EVO. It pops off things so much easier and obviously feels more playful. Compared to the SB150 I would say that probably descends a little better and feels more like a plow bike compared to EVO. Iím curious to slacken out the EVO to 64 degrees on some of those steeps to see how that feels.

Overall, I feel much better about my purchase. I think itís going to be a solid bike for pretty much any ride. Canít wait to play with more settings.

Frankly, you make the SB150 sound awesome! If I rode a medium or the SB150 L/ XL had longer CS, that's what I would have purchased.

Did you intentionally want the shorter S4 Reach and if so, why? I'm only 5'11" and ordered an S5 so I like to hear other's opinions on this topic.

Two months of little riding will wreck anyone's ability to pedal. That said, those stock tires don't seem to roll very well.

For a trail bike, it's all about pedaling for me because going fast up & down makes the ride much more enjoyable, and my Foxy is a rocket in this regard. Notably faster than other bikes I ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can anyone explain the difference between performance & performance elite rear shock??

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Frankly, you make the SB150 sound awesome! If I rode a medium or the SB150 L/ XL had longer CS, that's what I would have purchased.

Did you intentionally want the shorter S4 Reach and if so, why? I'm only 5'11" and ordered an S5 so I like to hear other's opinions on this topic.

Two months of little riding will wreck anyone's ability to pedal. That said, those stock tires don't seem to roll very well.

For a trail bike, it's all about pedaling for me because going fast up & down makes the ride much more enjoyable, and my Foxy is a rocket in this regard. Notably faster than other bikes I ride.
    ThatĎs right. Sounds like the SB150 is the ultimate Ątrail bikeď... should think about my frame order =)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-4n8a4227.jpg

I completed my first ride today. I should preface this review by admitting that I am a Specialized fan boy. Past "trail" bikes include 2014 Enduro, 2017 Enduro, and a 2019 Stumpy, all S-Works, all size large. I am primarily an endurance racer but trail riding is my favorite. I am a smooth pedaler and never had any complaints with any FSR suspension bikes in the past. I ride Northeast terrain, rocky, rooty, constant up and down, not long grinding hill climbs. My favorite part of rides are features, rollers, drops, and enduro like downhill terrain. My son has a 2020 Stumpy Evo Pro size S3 which I have ridden a few times. That bike feels long and heavy to me but the reach is identical. I chose an S4 for the new Evo and it fits me perfectly. I am 6'1" 162 lbs. I had my mechanic set up the bike per Specialized recommendations and it felt spot on. I'll likely play with settings on a future ride.

Today was not the best to test a new bike. This is basically the slipperiest day of the year in "upstate" NY. All oak leaves are freshly fallen and it rained for 3 days. I did a quick 10 mile 1000ft ride to shake things out.

So with all that said, I have nothing but positive things to say about this bike. The size and geometry feel perfect for me. It climbs equal or better than my 2019. It descends with so much more confidence than the 2019. I did a couple rollers with sketchy transitions at the bottom and smaller drops that are basically about 4' hucks to flat. It just gobbled these up. It also felt light and poppy. The traction in slippery sections was excellent. I made it through all the techy stuff, slipping and sliding, but no dabs!

I can't wait for the conditions to improve. Once the leaves get beaten down from traffic and the ground freezes traction will improve and I can explore some higher speeds.

On a final note, this is my first bike with AXS and it rocks! I have Di2 on 2 other bikes but this is a first on a trail bike for me. The seatpost is solving a problem that does not exist and it is hella-expensive but damn, it does work really well. It is so smooth and easy to make micro-adjustments with the electronic controller. I am sold!

mtbr member

Ya, I really enjoyed the SB150. I had some issues with the rear shock which is why I sold it and tried the Enduro and now Stumpy. I love the SWAT system which is why I stayed with Specialized. I was thinking about getting a S5 but didnít want the same sized bike as the Enduro in S4. Felt like getting something a little more nimble.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsharx View Post
    Can anyone explain the difference between performance & performance elite rear shock??
    Performance is a lower end damper setup. No low speed compression and a few other differences. The Performance Elite stuff is identical to the Factory dampers with the black coating instead of Kashima.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Are you guys setting up rear sag at the usual 30% on your Evos?
    Could of swore I read or saw where Specialized recommended 27% sag on the SJ Evo, which seemed quite weird but I have to make a spring rate choice. 550# spring puts me at 31% sag at full riding weight whereas a 575# spring puts me at 27% sag.
    Never had a coil so having to choose one or the other feels limiting.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Could of swore I read or saw where Specialized recommended 27% sag on the SJ Evo, which seemed quite weird but I have to make a spring rate choice. 550# spring puts me at 31% sag at full riding weight whereas a 575# spring puts me at 27% sag.
    Thanks.
    High recommend checking on the Sprindex Coil. I have the one 550-610 on my EXT (Levo SL with cascade link.. so fairly similar leverage curve). Super easy to adjust and dial in for terrain and riding style. Especially useful if you want to experiment.

mtbr member
    Thanks.
    Specialized recommends a very specific 15.5 MM of sag on a 55 mm travel shock which is 28%

mtbr member
    Thought I saw a question about whether an X2 will fit. Here is a test fit of a 210 x 55 X2 on my Evo

Plenty of clearance and yes I know I need to twist the air can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Specialized recommends a very specific 15.5 MM of sag on a 55 mm travel shock which is 28%
    That is interesting. How does one even get that exact on a coil? How can you even accurately measure that?

Do you find that sag % works well?

JCmonty, will check out the Sprindex Coil. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It would be 28% of rear wheel sag, if the LR of these bikes was completely linear.

However since they have a higher LR at the beginning of the stroke the shock moves more at first. So with a starting ratio of 3 every .33 mm of shock movement results in 1 mm of vertical wheel travel. So 15.5 x 3 = 46.5 mm & 46.5 / 150 = 31% vertical wheel travel sag.

Mystery solved, and frankly it's something that always concerned me, these suspension manufacturers all give a sag number of the shock, for no consideration for the LR and therefore the actual sag at the axle where it matters.

Cudos to Spesh for addressing this. They need 30% sag like everyone else, and are just more accurate about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thought I saw a question about whether an X2 will fit. Here is a test fit of a 210 x 55 X2 on my Evo

Plenty of clearance and yes I know I need to twist the air can.
    Is it easy to get to all the adjusters still? Also would love a ride report, after my first ride I thought maybe an X2 would make it feel better for gnarly stuff in socal. I still am dialing in the stock shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Mullet Setup

Got my 21 SJ EVO Sworks frameset built up, I went mullet straight away and am super happy.

I weight 165 lbs and set the DPX2 up with 195 PSI 9 clicks out on rebound. I am running the bike in the Low BB, Middle headset cup as this looked like the best balance of all the positions for aggressive riding.

I have a Fox 38 on the front that I also nailed the setup on perfectly.

I rode some trails in Aliso Viejo and even took it down Telonics on the first ride which was a great test for the bike. I beat a couple of my long standing PR's from my Ripmo that I couldn't beat for months.

The rear suspension feels great at carrying momentum, defiantly less hang ups and more confidence compared to the Ripmo, similar to the Ripmo the chain slap is pretty loud however so I added some mastic tape. I used full travel on a few occasions where I should have so if anything I may just add a few clicks of compression to give a little more support without changing ride height and bottom out control.

Fox 38 felt great on the front end and don't see a reason to not spec one on this bike if your terrain is fast and rough like mine.

This was my first time on a mullet bike and I am a huge believer, it felt like the best of both worlds, almost like having a 29er that is easier and more fun to pop, pump, and throw into corners. The bike itself feels very well balanced handling wise, and it is a good mix of being fun to ride and also being the fastest bike I have ever owned, only bike that is close to being as fast is the Forbidden Druid I had and that bike wasn't much fun, too glued to the ground.

fraid of heights
    Did you order the mullet link with your frame? How much was it?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Wink Mullet and Druid

Quote Originally Posted by AKRCD47 View Post
    Got my 21 SJ EVO Sworks frameset built up, I went mullet straight away and am super happy.

I weight 165 lbs and set the DPX2 up with 195 PSI 9 clicks out on rebound. I am running the bike in the Low BB, Middle headset cup as this looked like the best balance of all the positions for aggressive riding.

I have a Fox 38 on the front that I also nailed the setup on perfectly.

I rode some trails in Aliso Viejo and even took it down Telonics on the first ride which was a great test for the bike. I beat a couple of my long standing PR's from my Ripmo that I couldn't beat for months.

The rear suspension feels great at carrying momentum, defiantly less hang ups and more confidence compared to the Ripmo, similar to the Ripmo the chain slap is pretty loud however so I added some mastic tape. I used full travel on a few occasions where I should have so if anything I may just add a few clicks of compression to give a little more support without changing ride height and bottom out control.

Fox 38 felt great on the front end and don't see a reason to not spec one on this bike if your terrain is fast and rough like mine.

This was my first time on a mullet bike and I am a huge believer, it felt like the best of both worlds, almost like having a 29er that is easier and more fun to pop, pump, and throw into corners. The bike itself feels very well balanced handling wise, and it is a good mix of being fun to ride and also being the fastest bike I have ever owned, only bike that is close to being as fast is the Forbidden Druid I had and that bike wasn't much fun, too glued to the ground.
    Interesting! Mullet is attracting me sine the Liteville 27,5/26 mullets. Always fun but I never owned one.
    I do disagree with the Druid a bit, rode it in 29 with DPX2 and X2 - ultra fast rebound. Pure fun machine, overshooted jumps I never cleared before. But in M chain stays are a bit short, not as bang on in the rough as my Megatower with X2. My opinion
    Is the mullet link already available? How much was it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    yes i did, it was only 70$

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How tall of a rider are you?

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried putting a 200mm dropper on the S4. Doesnt look like thereís much room for one and would only make more seat post stick out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Has anyone tried putting a 200mm dropper on the S4. Doesnt look like thereís much room for one and would only make more seat post stick out.

It depends on your extended saddle height of course, but I think a 200mm dropper is going to be pretty unlikely for most folks running an S4. Max insertion is supposedly 200mm. For my saddle height of 740mm, assuming a 45mm saddle stack height, gives me 695mm as the distance from center of BB to center of saddle rail. Subtract 425mm seat tube length, and I'd be showing 270mm of post above the top of seat tube.

Okay so, from there, take a OneUp 210 post, which I believe has the shortest stack height of anything on the market. Shim it down to 200mm, and its total length including actuator is 530. Subtract 270mm of post above the top of seat tube from the total length of the post, and you end up with needing 260mm to be inside the seat tube. That's a no go by a substantial margin.

I think that tells us that you'd need to be running a 800mm saddle height at a minimum in order to run a 200mm dropper on an S4. Most folks who run a saddle height that tall, are going to be on a bigger bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23 View Post
    It depends on your extended saddle height of course, but I think a 200mm dropper is going to be pretty unlikely for most folks running an S4. Max insertion is supposedly 200mm. For my saddle height of 740mm, assuming a 45mm saddle stack height, gives me 695mm as the distance from center of BB to center of saddle rail. Subtract 425mm seat tube length, and I'd be showing 270mm of post above the top of seat tube.

Okay so, from there, take a OneUp 210 post, which I believe has the shortest stack height of anything on the market. Shim it down to 200mm, and its total length including actuator is 530. Subtract 270mm of post above the top of seat tube from the total length of the post, and you end up with needing 260mm to be inside the seat tube. That's a no go by a substantial margin.

I think that tells us that you'd need to be running a 800mm saddle height at a minimum in order to run a 200mm dropper on an S4. Most folks who run a saddle height that tall, are going to be on a bigger bike.
    Ya thatís what I figured. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Is it easy to get to all the adjusters still? Also would love a ride report, after my first ride I thought maybe an X2 would make it feel better for gnarly stuff in socal. I still am dialing in the stock shock.
    Yes, can still get to everything easily. Will get my first ride in tomorrow afternoon with a report after that.

mtbr member
    Finally finished the Evo! It took forever for the Zipp wheels to arrive. She currently sits at 29.36 lbs. Only thing stock is the frame/rear shock which is an S3 expert. Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-258a1635-c306-4907-a3ab-2e86d7f5dd27.jpeg Dedicated 2021 SJ Evo Thread-907198b9-cf48-4cfb-8610-5a7760e4e6b4.jpeg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Great build and bike weight.
    Darn I'm sure ready for my own Evo frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Anyone over forked one yet? I rode a demo and swapped on my 170mm Zeb fork and thought it was awesome. In colorado the higher BB this creates is kind of nice. I ran the HTA in the middle position and the BB in high. I have a frame on order from Fanatik and a box of parts waiting. I went with a 170mm Fox 38 for this build. Hoping to have it together next month. This is going to be my enduro race bike for next season. The Enduro is mostly overkill even in colorado and doesnít initiate turns easily enough. I also sized up to an S5 and love it. Iím 6í.

I was under the impression from Specialized that the mullet links were not available yet. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase one?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Yes, can still get to everything easily. Will get my first ride in tomorrow afternoon with a report after that.
    How is that X2? Torn between sticking with the DPX2 or going to an EXT coil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by OIdManBike View Post
    Anyone over forked one yet? I rode a demo and swapped on my 170mm Zeb fork and thought it was awesome. In colorado the higher BB this creates is kind of nice. I ran the HTA in the middle position and the BB in high. I have a frame on order from Fanatik and a box of parts waiting. I went with a 170mm Fox 38 for this build. Hoping to have it together next month. This is going to be my enduro race bike for next season. The Enduro is mostly overkill even in colorado and doesnít initiate turns easily enough. I also sized up to an S5 and love it. Iím 6í.

I was under the impression from Specialized that the mullet links were not available yet. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase one?
    I got one through my local shop, Rock and Road, Anaheim Hills

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I don't need a 170mm fork and don't want the geo change, but I have serious concerns about BB clearance on my ordered SJ Evo S5 as I ride in extreme chunk. Guess we'll see. BTW, I'm only 5'11".

I rode a '20 S3 E29 today, what about the E29 makes it do trail riding maneuvers significantly different than the SJ Evo? It's got good AS.

I'd try the mullet if I was a fair bit shorter as I think it makes sense for the correct application.

I just hope the climbing of the SJ Evo matches my current Foxy that is a flat out rocket on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The Enduro felt cumbersome and slow anywhere that wasnít pointed straight down. The EVO climbs much better as well. FWIW I didnít notice any pedal strikes on the stock demo. I also went with 175mm cranks for a little lower COG since my BB will be a bit higher with the 170mm fork.

Has anyone heard an update from Fanatik? I ordered in early October and was told their order should be solid with a mid December delivery.

I rode a mullet all year this year on my enduro bike and my DH bike. Height has nothing to do with it, itís the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Enduro felt cumbersome and slow anywhere that wasnít pointed straight down. The EVO climbs much better as well. FWIW I didnít notice any pedal strikes on the stock demo. I also went with 175mm cranks for a little lower COG since my BB will be a bit higher with the 170mm fork.

Has anyone heard an update from Fanatik? I ordered in early October and was told their order should be solid with a mid December delivery.

I rode a mullet all year this year on my enduro bike and my DH bike. Height has nothing to do with it, itís the best of both worlds.
    So interesting that such small differences between the E29 & the Evo, feel so different on the trail. To top it off the E29 actually has higher AS than the '21 Evo.

Likely I'll run my Evo steep and high as that HTA works well for me now.

I run 170mm Eewing cranks, and hit pedals often on my current Foxy. Of course I understand that it's my responsibility to not 'thwack' the pedals on my bikes, but often it's either that, or come to a dead stop. I ride the chunk!

Ordered my frame from Mike's on Oct 21st and they were given a delivery date of mid December that seems to be holding. Also have TS brakes that I ordered months earlier arriving about then, as well as an EXT & an Avy Hybrid conversion for my Yari fork.

mtbr member
    How is that X2? Torn between sticking with the DPX2 or going to an EXT coil.
    Haven't ridden it yet, will be out tomorrow and let you know.

mtbr member
    So interesting that such small differences between the E29 & the Evo, feel so different on the trail. To top it off the E29 actually has higher AS than the '21 Evo.

Likely I'll run my Evo steep and high as that HTA works well for me now.

I run 170mm Eewing cranks, and hit pedals often on my current Foxy. Of course I understand that it's my responsibility to not 'thwack' the pedals on my bikes, but often it's either that, or come to a dead stop. I ride the chunk!

Ordered my frame from Mike's on Oct 21st and they were given a delivery date of mid December that seems to be holding. Also have TS brakes that I ordered months earlier arriving about then, as well as an EXT & an Avy Hybrid conversion for my Yari fork.
    There is definitely a significant difference on the trail. The Enduro is a straight up plow bike and simply does not get flustered no matter how fast or how rough. It is not that the Enduro doesn't turn well, it just requires the rider to be deliberate in their actions because it is focused on stability. Its design mantra is to save the rider when they are at 10/10ths bleeding out their eyes in nasty terrain on a blind race run.

The Evo is much more playful and rides much lighter on the trail. The design brief wasn't all out speed, instead it was all out fun. You can slash corners, pop side hits, change lines on whim or anything else you can think of on the trail. It can go as fast as you want, but it will stay on top of things rather than hammering through sections.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Yes I run a 210 post on an S4. Itís about 5cm out of the seat tube, I havenít tried to see if it will bottom out though as thatís too low for me.

Iím 6í1Ē for reference. To clarify, have ridden lots of bigger bikes and donít get on with them, so riding something still a Ďdecentí size, but doesnít feel like a super tanker to me & the way I ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    There is definitely a significant difference on the trail. The Enduro is a straight up plow bike and simply does not get flustered no matter how fast or how rough. It is not that the Enduro doesn't turn well, it just requires the rider to be deliberate in their actions because it is focused on stability. Its design mantra is to save the rider when they are at 10/10ths bleeding out their eyes in nasty terrain on a blind race run.

The Evo is much more playful and rides much lighter on the trail. The design brief wasn't all out speed, instead it was all out fun. You can slash corners, pop side hits, change lines on whim or anything else you can think of on the trail. It can go as fast as you want, but it will stay on top of things rather than hammering through sections.
    Exactly. I just noticed somehow my name changed on MTBR. I havenít been on here in awhile but used to post as streetdoctor. I have a lot of experience on the Enduro over the years and rode the new one as soon as it came out. Itís too much like a DH bike for me unfortunately. I wish our local races used the terrain that required such a bike. For next year Iíll have a dedicated DH bike (most likely a Gambler or a Supreme DH) if Canada opens and the Stumpy EVO.

To get back to the EVO so far my build-

Fox 38 170mm grip2
    AXS reverb and drivetrain
    Next R cranks 175mm
    Code RSC brakes 220/200 rotors
    Industry Nine 305ís V3 wheels
    Wolftooth Oval 32t chainring with guard
    OneUp carbon handlebars
    Assegai/Aggressor 2.5 combo with Cushcore

I think the small air can of the DPX2 will work good for me but Iím interested to see what you think of the X2. I was real close to going super deluxe/Zeb since I already have both at home on another bike (my Levo).

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Is this because of the longer CS on all the E29s across all sizes (as I recall) where-as the Evo only gets the longer CSs on the S5s? Combined with a bit slacker HTA and just a bit more travel of the E29?

The buddy I rode with yesterday on his E29 wins some races and on some downhill segments can pull away from me, sometimes convincingly. But yesterday on a very chunky ride with climbs and jagged short descents and drops, we were on 2 different rides with me being dramatically faster. I rode his E29 for a bit and I wouldn't have wanted to be on it. It was a lot slower feeling .

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I used to post here as Streetdoctor. Not sure how my name got changed but I havenít been here in a bit. I have quite a bit of mileage on the 17/18 Enduros. When I rode the new one when it first came out I immediately knew it wasnít for me. Itís a downhill bike with an Eagle drivetrain. I wish our local races required such a bike but even in colorado the enduro scene is too flat and pedaly. I think the better combo is a true DH bike and an EVO which is what Iíll be doing for next year if Canada decides to open.

Back to the EVO-

Iím just waiting on the frame at this point. Really hopeful I still get mt hands on one! My build is as follows-

S5 frame size
    170mm Fox 38
    AXS reverb and drivetrain
    Code RSCís
    Next R 175mm cranks
    I9 305 V3ís w/ Assegai/Aggressor 2.5ís and cushcore
    OneUp carbon bars 35mm rise
    40mm I9 stem
    Probably sticking with the DPX2 for the smaller air can.

I plan on running it high and slack which should give me a 345mm-ish BB and a 63* HTA. Very similar to the Ransom Iíve been on for the last couple years. As soon as the mullet link is available Iíll probably swap to that as Iíve been running that setup all year and really like it. Bike should weigh about 33-34lb in this setup which is perfect for a race bike.

mtbr member
    I have quite a bit of experience on the 17 and 18 enduros. When I rode the new one I was pretty disappointed. It's a downhill bike with a 12 speed gear box. Way too big and cumbersome for the majority of enduro races in Colorado. I think the stumpy EVO is much better suited as a race bike and leave the enduro for park/shuttle laps when you don't want to own an actual DH bike.

To get back to the stumpy Evo, my build will be as follows, I have everything but the frame

6' 195lbs.

S5 frame
    Fox 38 170mm grip2
    AXS Reverb 170mm and AXS drivetrain
    Next R 175mm cranks
    Industry Nine V3 305 wheels
    Assegai/Aggressor 2.5's with cushcore
    40mm I9 stem
    OneUp 35mm rise bars
    Code RSC brakes
    Probably keeping the DPX2 in favor of the small air can for specialized's LR but interested to see how the X2 does.

I'll add the mullet link as soon as I can find one and swap rear wheels depending on where I'm riding. Most of the front range in Colorado is more fun with the Mullet setup. It should weigh about 34 pounds.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Is this because of the longer CS on all the E29s across all sizes (as I recall) where-as the Evo only gets the longer CSs on the S5s? Combined with a bit slacker HTA and just a bit more travel of the E29?

The buddy I rode with yesterday on his E29 wins some races and on some downhill segments can pull away from me, sometimes convincingly. But yesterday on a very chunky ride with climbs and jagged short descents and drops, we were on 2 different rides with me being dramatically faster. I rode his E29 for a bit and I wouldn't have wanted to be on it. It was a lot slower feeling .
    The CS on the Evo are nearly identical in the low BB position with 442 vs 443. The BB has significantly more drop on the Evo and the Reach is a lot shorter as well. I think the biggest difference is the leverage ratio between the bikes and this really alters the feel of the bikes.

Personally I would also recommend against a Fox 38 or Zeb on the Evo. The new 36 is a much better match with the personality of the bike. The length and feel of the 38 won't mesh well with the suspension curve of the Evo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sorry to keep harping on this, I just try and understand as much as possible but don't have the advantage of riding multiple bikes all set up for me.

The S5 Evo & the S4 E29 are quite similar, geo wise. So it blows me away that they would ride so differently.

The Evo has a longer CS, longer reach, similar HTA, 1 degree steeper STA (thankfully), similar WB, etc.

One thing I noticed when I rode a FB29 was that, even though the DW link is incredibly efficient, it still felt more saggy than my ride at the time (an SB5.5) and I think that comes down to the big travel numbers. It seems that even when you have high AS, large travel naturally just moves more, and this sucks up power. There seems to be no way to make up for this phenomenon.

Anyways, I'm going to run my S5 Evo in the steepest HT position of 65.5 (currently on 65.4' and it's great), high BB setting (still low compared to what I'm used to), and I'm having my EXT shock valved to pedal really well with tons of midvalve support as pedaling efficiently really is where time is made up on the trails.

mtbr member

Personally I would also recommend against a Fox 38 or Zeb on the Evo. The new 36 is a much better match with the personality of the bike. The length and feel of the 38 won't mesh well with the suspension curve of the Evo.
    Obviously everyone has a right to their own opinion but I'm wondering where you're coming from with this. Of course it depends on what you plan to do with the bike but as you and others have stated it's really versatile. I've personally ridden a Zeb on the Levo (at 170mm) and thought it was awesome. For anyone who rides aggressively in a front heavy body position you can't go wrong with the Zeb or the 38 IMO. FWIW I know another guy who was involved in the design of the EVO at Specialized who is also putting a 38 on his. I'm sure you will see some of the pros go that way as well. Curtis Keene is already running a Zeb on his too.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member

One thing I noticed when I rode a FB29 was that, even though the DW link is incredibly efficient, it still felt more saggy than my ride at the time (an SB5.5) and I think that comes down to the big travel numbers. It seems that even when you have high AS, large travel naturally just moves more, and this sucks up power. There seems to be no way to make up for this phenomenon.

Anyways, I'm going to run my S5 Evo in the steepest HT position of 65.5 (currently on 65.4' and it's great), high BB setting (still low compared to what I'm used to), and I'm having my EXT shock valved to pedal really well with tons of midvalve support as pedaling efficiently really is where time is made up on the trails.

A lot of what you mention comes down to the frame and shock tune as well. A lot of companies are still relying to a certain extent on the compression tune to help support the rider so they work for a wide range of body sizes. Companies like DSD (and Yeti to a certain extent from what I understand) are lightening the compression stack and using the air spring more for rider support and letting the LSC and HSC do it's job in absorbing terrain.

I've ridden EXT all year on my Ransom and Gambler and really dug it. Super supple off the top but not a lot of pedal bob for a coil. I'd like to get one for the EVO if funds allow and I don't have to run a super heavy spring (notoriously specialized).
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Obviously everyone has a right to their own opinion but I'm wondering where you're coming from with this. Of course it depends on what you plan to do with the bike but as you and others have stated it's really versatile. I've personally ridden a Zeb on the Levo (at 170mm) and thought it was awesome. For anyone who rides aggressively in a front heavy body position you can't go wrong with the Zeb or the 38 IMO. FWIW I know another guy who was involved in the design of the EVO at Specialized who is also putting a 38 on his. I'm sure you will see some of the pros go that way as well. Curtis Keene is already running a Zeb on his too.
    Agreed 100% on personal preference which is what makes this so fun.

The new big forks feel very similar to triple crowns to me. Using the DPX2 with a 38 is going to overdrive the fork and create an unbalanced feeling unless you jack up the air pressure and add volume tokens. Add in the extra height and it "could" feel unbalanced to people. The 38 is amazing, but I did not like my previous Evo when I over forked it with just a 36 at 160 travel.

JMO which is probably worth what you are paying for it!

mtbr member
    Sorry to keep harping on this, I just try and understand as much as possible but don't have the advantage of riding multiple bikes all set up for me.

The S5 Evo & the S4 E29 are quite similar, geo wise. So it blows me away that they would ride so differently.

The Evo has a longer CS, longer reach, similar HTA, 1 degree steeper STA (thankfully), similar WB, etc.

Just goes to show that small numerical differences make a big impact. It is the sum of the design and not just the HA and Reach numbers that matter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The CS on the Evo are nearly identical in the low BB position with 442 vs 443. The BB has significantly more drop on the Evo and the Reach is a lot shorter as well. I think the biggest difference is the leverage ratio between the bikes and this really alters the feel of the bikes.

The low BB position is out of the question for me and would make the bike unusable, but also I went up to the S5 partly because of the longer CS. This was a must for me and I wouldn't have purchased another short CS bike. Pretty sure the Stumpy is the only mass produced CF bike that comes with long CSs on the larger sizes. They are really ahead of the curve here.

High position on the S5 has a 448mm CS length which I'm super excited about. I'll only slacken and lower the bike for Angel Fire trips with no pedaling and fast speeds with open turns. I basically ordered the bike for 3 reasons: Longer CS, SWAT, & adjustability for bike trips. Those are the only things that I feel it will do better than my current bike. i consider the even lower BB a step backwards, for my terrain. Spesh should have had a more useable high position (-25 or so) and then a racy low position. Instead they gave us super low & stupid low. This makes no sense for a bike dubbed a trail bike. I do think the firm EXT suspension I requested will help with this however.

Personally I wouldn't go to a 38mm fork on this bike at 160 travel at 180#s for several reasons (A2C, more slack, more weight, etc.). Mine will have the Hybrid Avy Yari that's on my current bike for the time being and will eventually likely have an EXT fork to match the shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The latest response I got from Fanatik regarding my S5 frame...

ďWe are working closely with Specialized to monitor this situation. As far as we know, none of our customer orders have been affected.Ē

Definitely a canned answer. I might have to switch frames if something else pops up just because I donít have a lot of faith in that response and donít want to be stuck without a bike for 2021.

Anyone else have any insight? My order was placed 10/15

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well, just ride the old bike obviously until the new one arrives.
    My source is also telling me mid-December to Spesh so early Jan to me with no changes. Really in these times, it'l get here when it gets here.
    Componentry availability is the hold up for all manufacturers, but I assume that Spesh has more pull in this regard than many other manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've ridden EXT all year on my Ransom and Gambler and really dug it. Super supple off the top but not a lot of pedal bob for a coil. I'd like to get one for the EVO if funds allow and I don't have to run a super heavy spring (notoriously specialized).
    The heavy spring rate requirement was likely a result of the high initial leverage ratio, I noticed this about the E29.
    The new EVO LR starts off a fair bit lower so the high spring rate requirement should go away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Agreed 100% on personal preference which is what makes this so fun.

The new big forks feel very similar to triple crowns to me. Using the DPX2 with a 38 is going to overdrive the fork and create an unbalanced feeling unless you jack up the air pressure and add volume tokens. Add in the extra height and it "could" feel unbalanced to people. The 38 is amazing, but I did not like my previous Evo when I over forked it with just a 36 at 160 travel.

JMO which is probably worth what you are paying for it!
    I'm running a 38 on mine and the new DPX2 is so good that my bike feels super balanced, I ride pretty rough trails in Socal though. I have never had a fork be so easy to set up and feel good right away. 2 tokens, recommended air pressure and damper settings and it is great.

The only reason to not get a 38 is if you already own a 36 or are a major weight weenie. I find I notice the difference in weight of my shoes and tires obviously than the weight of my fork. My bike is dialed 4 rides in, and i'm super picky about bike setup and feel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Mikeís bikes has a S4 comp black listed online in stock. But itís $150.00 over list price. Total BS... I have to wait to buy after I figure out my taxes & I am not buying above list Mikeís bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I have quite a bit of experience on the 17 and 18 enduros. When I rode the new one I was pretty disappointed. It's a downhill bike with a 12 speed gear box. Way too big and cumbersome for the majority of enduro races in Colorado. I think the stumpy EVO is much better suited as a race bike and leave the enduro for park/shuttle laps when you don't want to own an actual DH bike.

To get back to the stumpy Evo, my build will be as follows, I have everything but the frame

6' 195lbs.

S5 frame
    Fox 38 170mm grip2
    AXS Reverb 170mm and AXS drivetrain
    Next R 175mm cranks
    Industry Nine V3 305 wheels
    Assegai/Aggressor 2.5's with cushcore
    40mm I9 stem
    OneUp 35mm rise bars
    Code RSC brakes
    Probably keeping the DPX2 in favor of the small air can for specialized's LR but interested to see how the X2 does.

I'll add the mullet link as soon as I can find one and swap rear wheels depending on where I'm riding. Most of the front range in Colorado is more fun with the Mullet setup. It should weigh about 34 pounds.
    The 160 38 feels money with 2 tokens, I think most people over due it with tokens, more air less ramp felt like a perfect match with the stock DPX2 and both eat high speed chunk like crazy now. Im also already running the mullet link and I wont be trying it as a 29er, mullet seems faster and more fun, win/win.

I always prefer the DPX2 overall on other bikes but wouldnt say it always feels plusher/better, the bike always just turns and pumps better. Whatever specialized did to the tune on this shock is insane, feels like a DPX2 that works better and smoother on fast repeated hits.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Just to add to this convo

The Stumpy EVO Ltd (factory mullet) comes spec'd with the ZEB

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/st...ext=96321-1002

mtbr member
    The 160 38 feels money with 2 tokens, I think most people over due it with tokens, more air less ramp felt like a perfect match with the stock DPX2 and both eat high speed chunk like crazy now. Im also already running the mullet link and I wont be trying it as a 29er, mullet seems faster and more fun, win/win.

I always prefer the DPX2 overall on other bikes but wouldnt say it always feels plusher/better, the bike always just turns and pumps better. Whatever specialized did to the tune on this shock is insane, feels like a DPX2 that works better and smoother on fast repeated hits.
    As soon as Iím sure Iím getting my frame Iíll work on finding a mullet link. I completely agree with you about it being more fun. I thought the stock DPX2 on the demo I rode was great as well.

mtbr member
    Buckle up because this is long, but I think the detail is important.

Today I did back to back rides on the Evo and Enduro. The loop I did was 50% singletrack/50% pavement climb to a steep/fast/chunky DH. The descent is one that I have done over 100 times and representative of the trails I ride consistently. First up was the Evo. My build currently is an Expert with the stock XO1 RD/shifter, Roval carbon rims, X2 rear shock along with some other upgrades;

I use this ride consistently for suspension setup since it has a good mix of technical singletrack climbing, pavement, steep DH and then a traverse that mimics rolling singletrack in some ways. I did not pay a lot of attention to the singletrack portion of the climb because I am 50/50 on cleaning it right now. Looking at the pavement climb it was about average from a time perspective, but my perceived effort was high since I am out of shape right now. For context I am running a power meter on the Evo and did 254 watts against an FTP of 250 so I wasn't crushing it, but it was a solid effort. Time was 3:58 my first time up and 4:19 my second time.

Now it was time for the fun part, going down. The descent can be broken into 3 comparisons. Section 1 starts out with a steep chute with a lot of chunk and some natural gaps followed by some nasty high speed corners. Next section is just solid chunk with a few minor drops, if you can even call them that, but it is a beating. The final comparison it both sections combined which requires consistency since there are so many places that mistakes can be made. A lot of the corners are off camber and they are all loose with baby heads on top of a bunch of dust. For section one it was 48 seconds, one of my fastest times this year. Section two 48 seconds which was my fastest time in two years. The combined run was 1:34 which was also my fastest time in two years.

To make sure it wasn't a fluke I ran another lap. One thing to note is that I have been changing my cockpit setup. The two changes are bar height (moving them much higher) and width (going wider than 740 that I have run forever). For the second run I moved my bars down 5 mm because I was concerned I had gone too extreme. Net result, I was slower in both section and overall. For comparison I was 1 second slower in the first section (within the margin of error), 4 seconds slower in the second section (definitely slower), and 3 seconds slower overall (there is a middle section that is not part of either section). More importantly, I could feel more pressure on my hands and did not feel as centered on the bike. Got home and immediately moved the 5 mm spacer back under the stem. As a side note I also punctured on the second run, but it did not affect the times. It was at the end of the run and I run Rimpact so didn't slow down. More on this later...

Below are the consolidated numbers with the corresponding segment names for anyone local;

Double Peak Sprint Finish (pavement climb) 3:57
    Rollercoaster :48
    Sorry! :48
    Candyland (combination of Roller and Sorry) 1:34

Now it was time to go home since my rear tire was spewing sealant all over the rear triangle. Got it to seal well enough to hold 15ish PSI for the ride back to the car. 20 minutes after I got home I get a call from one of my riding buddies asking if I wanted to meet up and ride there again. I was already thinking about going back out on the Enduro so this was just the kick I needed. Kiss my wife (she is amazing) and load up the truck again.

Hop on the bike and head back up the hill. First off the Enduro feels really good. Pedaling is so solid, but it is also close to 35 lbs with my setup. Right now it is AXS, Fox 38, Ohlins TTX, Santa Cruz Reserve rims, etc. It is as bling a build as you will see with nothing left to upgrade. Pic of the build

Tire setup is identical between the two bikes except for one important factor. When I changed the rear tire I realized that there was no insert in the rear tire of the Evo. Whoops! Good news is that the Evo would have even more of an advantage on the climbs since it has less rotating weight. Back to the Enduro, it climbs really well for a 170 bike. Once to the top I double check everything since I haven't ridden this bike in a while and drop in. First thing I noticed was the length. It is definitely a bigger bike and I can feel the longer front end. For me, I like the added space, so it is not a bad thing. Second is that the Enduro is not any more plush than the Evo. I have had this sensation of harshness through three rear shocks and two forks. I believe this is from the linkage being over torqued from the factory which messed up the bearings. Different story for another time, but it is not ultra plush right now. What you definitely feel is stability. The bike just goes where it is pointed, no stress, no questions about what the bike is going to do.

Overall the Enduro is an absolute weapon when descending on the trails we have around here. The beginning of this test trail starts off by punching you in the mouth. Sustained slope of -30% with 3 decent drops in quick succession followed by a rock gap that will eat any rim/tire setup if you come up short. This sets the tone for the rest of the trail. The Enduro just motors through all of it with zero drama. If you get high on speed, this bike should be your drug of choice. By the finish it is very clear that this is a race bike pure and simple.

Get to the truck and upload the ride. Somewhat surprisingly, the Enduro was even quicker going downs. I made the same changes to my setup with higher and wider bars and it obviously is working for me. First section 46 seconds, second section 47 seconds, full run 1:31. While a second or two may not seem like a lot, but it points to how close these bikes really have become. Right now the trails are in the worst condition of the year, completely blown out dust bowls with sniper rocks everywhere. My other fast times are usually in the winter once we get some rain to increase traction. Overall really impressed with both bikes. The Enduro is exactly what you would expect, more stable. The Evo is also exactly what you would expect, much easier to move around on the trail.

For those that are bothering to read all of this, you may have noticed that I didn't talk about the pavement climb. Really it was no contest, a 35 lb bike with a coil rear shock vs a 30 lb air sprung smaller travel bike with a lighter wheelset (remember no insert on the Evo). I was also riding the Enduro after already doing the climb twice on the Evo and since I haven't been doing much analog riding the legs were feeling it. Although it sounds like I am making excuses for the Enduro, I'm not because it was faster going uphill and not by a small amount. First time up the climb on the Evo I set a time of 3:57. Didn't feel bad, but didn't feel great either. Second time up on the Evo a 4:17 and my legs were feeling it. Third time on the Enduro 3:38. Now this is far from scientific and I am not saying it is faster than the Evo, etc. What I am saying with absolute confidence is that there is no climbing penalty for being on the Enduro instead of the Evo. The 8 bar link setup does a better job of separating pedal forces from suspension movement. It is noticeable even in a driveway ride and I think it contributes quite a bit to put it on level footing with bikes that are lighter and shorter travel. So the Enduro is a heavier bike, had more rotating mass, I was on tired legs and it was quicker.

Comparison times for the Enduro;

Double Peak Sprint Finish 3:38
    Rollercoaster 46 seconds
    Sorry! 47 seconds
    Candyland 1:31

Both bikes together Evo/Enduro;

Double Peak Sprint Finish 3:57 / 3:38
    Rollercoaster 48 / 46 seconds
    Sorry! 48 / 47 seconds
    Candyland 1:34 / 1:31

On the flip side, the Evo held its own against a longer travel bike. It was on terrain that should have given the Enduro a significant advantage, trails that are about as steep and rough as you will see. Bottom line, this decision is going to come down to personal preference, riding style and terrain. The Evo is definitely better in rolling terrain where the Enduro just feels dull. Technical climbs, pavement climbs, etc are a toss up. I have done a lot of this on the Enduro and it is exceptional even on tight switchbacks and big exposed rock moves. The long stays and stability really make a difference when you are about to puke going uphill. It is not an XC race bike and isn't going to win any speed contests going uphill, but you would be just fine riding with your friends on 140 bikes. I also wouldn't hesitate to take the Evo to Whistler. It punches way above its travel class on the descents. Either bike is exceptional, you just need to decide the feel you are looking for and then actually find one of these machines actually in stock someplace.

So that is what I can report so far. Happy to answer any questions for the group and I am going to xpost in the Enduro discussion as well.
    Last edited by Salespunk; 2 Days Ago at 08:30 AM.

mtbr member
    I enjoyed reading that - thanks. Both are great choices and really can't go wrong with either one of them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Sorry! 48 / 47 seconds
    Wow. Interesting result. Iím just wondering how you could be so much faster pulling 5 extra lbs uphill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bk_mtb View Post
    Wow. Interesting result. Iím just wondering how you could be so much faster pulling 5 extra lbs uphill.

Weight isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Buckle up because this is long, but I think the detail is important.

Today I did back to back rides on the Evo and Enduro. The loop I did was 50% singletrack/50% pavement climb to a steep/fast/chunky DH. The descent is one that I have done over 100 times and representative of the trails I ride consistently. First up was the Evo. My build currently is an Expert with the stock XO1 RD/shifter, Roval carbon rims, X2 rear shock along with some other upgrades;

I use this ride consistently for suspension setup since it has a good mix of technical singletrack climbing, pavement, steep DH and then a traverse that mimics rolling singletrack in some ways. I did not pay a lot of attention to the singletrack portion of the climb because I am 50/50 on cleaning it right now. Looking at the pavement climb it was about average from a time perspective, but my perceived effort was high since I am out of shape right now. For context I am running a power meter on the Evo and did 254 watts against an FTP of 250 so I wasn't crushing it, but it was a solid effort. Time was 3:58 my first time up and 4:19 my second time.

Now it was time for the fun part, going down. The descent can be broken into 3 comparisons. Section 1 starts out with a steep chute with a lot of chunk and some natural gaps followed by some nasty high speed corners. Next section is just solid chunk with a few minor drops, if you can even call them that, but it is a beating. The final comparison it both sections combined which requires consistency since there are so many places that mistakes can be made. A lot of the corners are off camber and they are all loose with baby heads on top of a bunch of dust. For section one it was 48 seconds, one of my fastest times this year. Section two 48 seconds which was my fastest time in two years. The combined run was 1:34 which was also my fastest time in two years.

To make sure it wasn't a fluke I ran another lap. One thing to note is that I have been changing my cockpit setup. The two changes are bar height (moving them much higher) and width (going wider than 740 that I have run forever). For the second run I moved my bars down 5 mm because I was concerned I had gone too extreme. Net result, I was slower in both section and overall. For comparison I was 1 second slower in the first section (within the margin of error), 4 seconds slower in the second section (definitely slower), and 3 seconds slower overall (there is a middle section that is not part of either section). More importantly, I could feel more pressure on my hands and did not feel as centered on the bike. Got home and immediately moved the 5 mm spacer back under the stem. As a side note I also punctured on the second run, but it did not affect the times. It was at the end of the run and I run Rimpact so didn't slow down. More on this later...

Below are the consolidated numbers with the corresponding segment names for anyone local;

Double Peak Sprint Finish (pavement climb) 3:57
    Rollercoaster :48
    Sorry! :48
    Candyland (combination of Roller and Sorry) 1:34

Now it was time to go home since my rear tire was spewing sealant all over the rear triangle. Got it to seal well enough to hold 15ish PSI for the ride back to the car. 20 minutes after I got home I get a call from one of my riding buddies asking if I wanted to meet up and ride there again. I was already thinking about going back out on the Enduro so this was just the kick I needed. Kiss my wife (she is amazing) and load up the truck again.

Hop on the bike and head back up the hill. First off the Enduro feels really good. Pedaling is so solid, but it is also close to 35 lbs with my setup. Right now it is AXS, Fox 38, Ohlins TTX, Santa Cruz Reserve rims, etc. It is as bling a build as you will see with nothing left to upgrade. Pic of the build

Tire setup is identical between the two bikes except for one important factor. When I changed the rear tire I realized that there was no insert in the rear tire of the Evo. Whoops! Good news is that the Evo would have even more of an advantage on the climbs since it has less rotating weight. Back to the Enduro, it climbs really well for a 170 bike. Once to the top I double check everything since I haven't ridden this bike in a while and drop in. First thing I noticed was the length. It is definitely a bigger bike and I can feel the longer front end. For me, I like the added space, so it is not a bad thing. Second is that the Enduro is not any more plush than the Evo. I have had this sensation of harshness through three rear shocks and two forks. I believe this is from the linkage being over torqued from the factory which messed up the bearings. Different story for another time, but it is not ultra plush right now. What you definitely feel is stability. The bike just goes where it is pointed, no stress, no questions about what the bike is going to do.

Overall the Enduro is an absolute weapon when descending on the trails we have around here. The beginning of this test trail starts off by punching you in the mouth. Sustained slope of -30% with 3 decent drops in quick succession followed by a rock gap that will eat any rim/tire setup if you come up short. This sets the tone for the rest of the trail. The Enduro just motors through all of it with zero drama. If you get high on speed, this bike should be your drug of choice. By the finish it is very clear that this is a race bike pure and simple.

Get to the truck and upload the ride. Somewhat surprisingly, the Enduro was even quicker going downs. I made the same changes to my setup with higher and wider bars and it obviously is working for me. First section 46 seconds, second section 47 seconds, full run 1:31. While a second or two may not seem like a lot, but it points to how close these bikes really have become. Right now the trails are in the worst condition of the year, completely blown out dust bowls with sniper rocks everywhere. My other fast times are usually in the winter once we get some rain to increase traction. Overall really impressed with both bikes. The Enduro is exactly what you would expect, more stable. The Evo is also exactly what you would expect, much easier to move around on the trail.

For those that are bothering to read all of this, you may have noticed that I didn't talk about the pavement climb. Really it was no contest, a 35 lb bike with a coil rear shock vs a 30 lb air sprung smaller travel bike with a lighter wheelset (remember no insert on the Evo). I was also riding the Enduro after already doing the climb twice on the Evo and since I haven't been doing much analog riding the legs were feeling it. Although it sounds like I am making excuses for the Enduro, I'm not because it was faster going uphill and not by a small amount. First time up the climb on the Evo I set a time of 3:57. Didn't feel bad, but didn't feel great either. Second time up on the Evo a 4:17 and my legs were feeling it. Third time on the Enduro 3:38. Now this is far from scientific and I am not saying it is faster than the Evo, etc. What I am saying with absolute confidence is that there is no climbing penalty for being on the Enduro instead of the Evo. The 8 bar link setup does a better job of separating pedal forces from suspension movement. It is noticeable even in a driveway ride and I think it contributes quite a bit to put it on level footing with bikes that are lighter and shorter travel. So the Enduro is a heavier bike, had more rotating mass, I was on tired legs and it was quicker.

Comparison times for the Enduro;

Double Peak Sprint Finish 3:38
    Rollercoaster 46 seconds
    Sorry! 47 seconds
    Candyland 1:31

Sorry! 48 / 47 seconds

On the flip side, the Evo held its own against a longer travel bike. It was on terrain that should have given the Enduro a significant advantage, trails that are about as steep and rough as you will see. Bottom line, this decision is going to come down to personal preference, riding style and terrain. The Evo is definitely better in rolling terrain where the Enduro just feels dull. Technical climbs, pavement climbs, etc are a toss up. I have done a lot of this on the Enduro and it is exceptional even on tight switchbacks and big exposed rock moves. The long stays and stability really make a difference when you are about to puke going uphill. It is not an XC race bike and isn't going to win any speed contests going uphill, but you would be just fine riding with your friends on 140 bikes. I also wouldn't hesitate to take the Evo to Whistler. It punches way above its travel class on the descents. Either bike is exceptional, you just need to decide the feel you are looking for and then actually find one of these machines actually in stock someplace.

So that is what I can report so far. Happy to answer any questions for the group and I am going to xpost in the Enduro discussion as well.

You sort of made a good argument for ditching the Evo honestly. I mean, slower down AND up!

Several other posters coming off E29s have seemed to indicate that the Evo feels much lighter/ nimble/ efficient/ etc.

My personal feeling is that: The Ohlins TTX just pedals much better than the DPX2 on the Evo, combined with the generally stiffer rear linkage you mentioned on the Enduro (faulty or otherwise). Lastly but very importantly, you considered your legs tired, but I consider them warmed up. Your lack of pedaling lately makes your leg output power much less consistent. I think you got stronger.

Looks like you are going to have to install a power meter to figure this one out.

5#s matters a lot when your climbs are like mine, where you spend the entire time tugging your bike up and over ledges and roots. But from a wattage standpoint on a 4 minute road climb, the difference is just a few seconds from a physics standpoint.

I'll be very sad if my new Evo can't climb as well as my Foxy as where I live, having fun is all about keeping speed up everywhere, something that my current bike and I have gotten very good at. IMO, going fast on a MTB is really all about how well it pedals. That's what makes me my fastest on my trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Weight isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be.
    Is this how I can tell Im weak?

:thumbsup: believe in yourself! I believe in you! :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    I actually ran into SalesPunk out on the local trails yesterday while he was doing his back to backs.

Hitting our steep trails, going full top to bottom, a bit shy of 1K feet per lap gives a pretty good feel for the bike in that amount of time. Like Salespunk said, the Evo climbs well, definitely good enough, but it's nothing magic. It is light enough (mine's about 31lbs) is pretty decent. The outstanding tune of the DPX2 and the balance with the 36, plus the very tuned stiffness/compliance of the bike does a lot to keep things confident and in control.

In summary, the EVO is the perfect pick for me and what I like. The SWAT is amazing, I keep the following in there: GUP canister, mini pump, patch kit, Schwalbe Aerothan tube, sunglass baggie/wipe, a few zip ties, a blister pack of chainlube, velcro strap, Granite Designs tire lever/chain link tool. The bike weight is low enough that I run Super Gravity casing tires with Tannus Armour inserts (and all that swat stuff) and my bike is still under 32lbs. The kinematics are killer in that the rear wheel doesn't hang up on chunk and the geo is whatever you want it to be. For our conditions (San Diego dust and chunk, far from bike park) the long/low CS with the middle, 64 HT seems to be right on the money.
    Have a nice ride!

mtbr member

I have about 50 miles on the EVO now and here are some updated thoughts. Iím getting more comfortable with the bike climbing wise but still doesnít have that wow this climbs great feeling. I do miss the length of the Enduro on the climbing especially the chainstays when going up and over rocky terrain. The EVOs rear end seems so short even though its pretty long and similar to the SB150. As for the DH Iíve actually started to enjoy it more as I feel much faster going through my rocky/tighter trails and could keep my speed more consistent especially in turns. Itís just a more enjoyable bike to ride for any trail. Will that translate to faster DH times I donít know. With the Enduro I kind of dreaded riding it on the mellow trails as it just muted everything. Canít wait to put more time in and start to compare my times. Also, not sure about dropping into a lower setting then neutral. Had several BB/chain ring hits while climbing the chunky sections. Nothing on the DH.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Is this how I can tell Im weak?

That or rotating weight. I actually found out recently that shoe weight matters a little bit, way more than non rotating. Honestly though anytime I have saved a pound or two on my bike it didn't turn into a rocket ship and it was compromised in another area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NoShirt View Post
    I actually ran into SalesPunk out on the local trails yesterday while he was doing his back to backs.

Hitting our steep trails, going full top to bottom, a bit shy of 1K feet per lap gives a pretty good feel for the bike in that amount of time. Like Salespunk said, the Evo climbs well, definitely good enough, but it's nothing magic. It is light enough (mine's about 31lbs) is pretty decent. The outstanding tune of the DPX2 and the balance with the 36, plus the very tuned stiffness/compliance of the bike does a lot to keep things confident and in control.

In summary, the EVO is the perfect pick for me and what I like. The SWAT is amazing, I keep the following in there: GUP canister, mini pump, patch kit, Schwalbe Aerothan tube, sunglass baggie/wipe, a few zip ties, a blister pack of chainlube, velcro strap, Granite Designs tire lever/chain link tool. The bike weight is low enough that I run Super Gravity casing tires with Tannus Armour inserts (and all that swat stuff) and my bike is still under 32lbs. The kinematics are killer in that the rear wheel doesn't hang up on chunk and the geo is whatever you want it to be. For our conditions (San Diego dust and chunk, far from bike park) the long/low CS with the middle, 64 HT seems to be right on the money.
    I ride in Orange county and the long/low/middle combo feels perfect to me too, I havent had any issues with pedal clearance and I had issues on my last bike (Ripmo V2). I have been spending way less time on my brakes lately.

mtbr member
    You sort of made a good argument for ditching the Evo honestly. I mean, slower down AND up!

Several other posters coming off E29s have seemed to indicate that the Evo feels much lighter/ nimble/ efficient/ etc.

My personal feeling is that: The Ohlins TTX just pedals much better than the DPX2 on the Evo, combined with the generally stiffer rear linkage you mentioned on the Enduro (faulty or otherwise). Lastly but very importantly, you considered your legs tired, but I consider them warmed up. Your lack of pedaling lately makes your leg output power much less consistent. I think you got stronger.

Looks like you are going to have to install a power meter to figure this one out.

5#s matters a lot when your climbs are like mine, where you spend the entire time tugging your bike up and over ledges and roots. But from a wattage standpoint on a 4 minute road climb, the difference is just a few seconds from a physics standpoint.

I'll be very sad if my new Evo can't climb as well as my Foxy as where I live, having fun is all about keeping speed up everywhere, something that my current bike and I have gotten very good at. IMO, going fast on a MTB is really all about how well it pedals. That's what makes me my fastest on my trails.
    Just depends what you want. The Evo is way more playful and the Enduro is all about speed. The feel of the bikes is not even close and if you ride flatter terrain at all it would be the Evo every time. For a race bike the Enduro is going to be faster even though it may not feel like it. It has the sensation of slowing everything down and simplifying the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoShirt View Post

This guy ^^^^^ is an absolute beast. He was on a mission to do 8K of vertical for the day and got it done on his Evo!

mtbr member
    Itíll be interesting to see if the EVO becomes Cody Kelleyís primary race bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just depends what you want. The Evo is way more playful and the Enduro is all about speed. The feel of the bikes is not even close and if you ride flatter terrain at all it would be the Evo every time. For a race bike the Enduro is going to be faster even though it may not feel like it. It has the sensation of slowing everything down and simplifying the trails.
    Even though I like to think of my trails as rad, they are probably not in the grand scheme of things even if they are to me.

I wouldn't want the trails to feel a bunch easier.

So the Evo is a good fit for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Itíll be interesting to see if the EVO becomes Cody Kelleyís primary race bike.
    I'd be surprised if Specialized let their sponsored riders ride the evo instead of the enduro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oikeith View Post
    I'd be surprised if Specialized let their sponsored riders ride the evo instead of the enduro
    I would not be surprised at all. The market for the Evo is multiples larger than the market for the Enduro.

Modern Enduro bikes are approaching the capability of DH bikes which means your terrain needs to be pretty extreme to use them appropriately. Even then a bike like the Evo will get a rider through at a slightly slower pace, but is way more fun on casual trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm pretty sure this as been happening since the beginning of EWS with most Specialized riders on regular StumpJumpers.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I'm definitely in that camp - the Evo is a very different bike to ride than the Enduro. Even as a racer, I would forgo the 1% for a bike that is better to ride for the majority of my riding. Even if I have a good year with the number of races I can do, it's a tiny minority of my actual riding time. I'm lucky enough to live in an area of the UK with a great variety of riding and as a semi serious consideration, the whole linkage is absolutely not UK friendly - it is a massive collection point & friends with them still are getting through their third set of linkage bearings now.

It is not a wet weather friendly bike - which is a bit of a problem for us

The Enduro really is a fast, great bike, but it is too close to that one trick pony for me.

mtbr member
    Got out on the Evo again today after some additional tuning. Was able to get the feel I want out of it now with the X2 and 36. The air pressures and damping are close to final, but I need to add volume spacers both front and rear to ramp things up a little quicker.

Net result, I was quicker on the climb, but not as fast as the Enduro. I need to ride it on the Enduro again to confirm that part. For the descent I equalled the time on the Enduro for the first section and got closer on the second section and the overall descent. More importantly the bike felt way more planted, but still maintained its playful nature. Overall super stoked on the setup with the 36/X2 with a noticeable transformation in the rear suspension.

mtbr member
    You obviously havenít been paying attention to the EWS

mtbr member
    It has the sensation of slowing everything down and simplifying the trails.
    This statement always makes me laugh... if itís slowing down and simplifying your trails then you should simply ride them faster. Thatís inherently the nature of what racing is about.

I ended up grabbing the last Megatower frame that backcountry had in my size in case this specialized shipping debacle delays the EVOís too long for my liking.

The more I read about the megatower the better it sounds for my purpose.

mtbr member
    Email from Fanatik about a mullet link:

We don't have any ETA or news on when a mullet link will be available for those bikes. Its not currently listed in the Specialized B2B as an item so that is a good indicator that its not available at all currently. They certainly talked about it, but not looking like anything is out there in the wild for dealers to get their hands on

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I put pre-order in for an S4 Expert in PDX in October. I was initially told 2-3 weeks but after talking to the bike shop yesterday, they are estimating May 2021.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggafat View Post
    I put pre-order in for an S4 Expert in PDX in October. I was initially told 2-3 weeks but after talking to the bike shop yesterday, they are estimating May 2021.
    Which shop if you don't mind?

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Which shop if you don't mind?

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    River City. I actually found an S4 Expert in Bend on Sunday, talked to the shop, told them I'd let them know Monday if I could cancel my other order. Called Monday and it was sold.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Email from Fanatik about a mullet link:

We don't have any ETA or news on when a mullet link will be available for those bikes. Its not currently listed in the Specialized B2B as an item so that is a good indicator that its not available at all currently. They certainly talked about it, but not looking like anything is out there in the wild for dealers to get their hands on
    Mullet link exists - they are available (in stock) in shops in the UK.

Which right now, is a miracle, all things considered

Kind of tempted to try it. Although I don't have any 650b wheels any more, so not a cheap experiment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    Mullet link exists - they are available (in stock) in shops in the UK.

Which right now, is a miracle, all things considered

Kind of tempted to try it. Although I don't have any 650b wheels any more, so not a cheap experiment.
    The bike industry is embarrassing right now. Apparently in the US all of the EVO's went to the west and east coast, almost nothing intermountain-west- you know where almost everyone rides mountain bikes LTD's strictly went to Europe. Nothing in the US. The mullet link is not on the B2B site in the US because there are none available here. Some Specialized bikes currently have lead times of 400+ days. I've long said someone at Specialized should be fired, whoever spec's their bikes and whoever decides sales numbers doesn't seem like they graduated high school. Pretty embarrassing and it's a problem that continuously happens model year after model year. Examples are readily apparent on their E-bike line and availability of everything else. A smaller company has an excuse but not Specialized, Giant, Scott, etc. Not when they're recording record profits. Giant stock has more than doubled in the last 6 months.

There's a good chance I'm going to keep the Megatower. I'm at least holding onto the frame until I can throw my leg over one in a couple weeks. Luckily backcountry has a liberal return policy. If I end up keeping the Megatower and the S5 Evo frame I do have on order does appear in mid-December I would be willing to work out a deal for someone to claim the frame from Fanatik when I return it. If I do end up keeping it and someone in the UK wants to make a little money for their effort I would love for someone to ship me a Mullet link.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggafat View Post
    River City. I actually found an S4 Expert in Bend on Sunday, talked to the shop, told them I'd let them know Monday if I could cancel my other order. Called Monday and it was sold.
    I feel your pain, I had a shop in SLC (7 hours from me) hold a Expert for a weekend for me and I ended up cancelling the order not wanting to drive 14 hours round trip. Now the closest complete is 1400 miles away. Looks like shops in Florida still have them in stock. Cause Florida terrain definitely dictates a 150 travel bike over Colorado. LOL. Sorry I'm jaded. I wish I would have cancelled my frame order and picked up the complete at this point. My problem is I have a wheel set, full AXS kit, fork, etc. sitting here in boxes waiting on a frame.

From the way it was explained to me if they're quoting you May of 21 that's a completely made up date. They hope to have more frames at some point next summer but like I said above if you put an EP order in they're telling you 400+ days. If you look at the dealer site for EVO's where it would normally tell you "Available", "Sold out", sometimes there's an Asterisk meaning an order has been placed, etc. Currently it says "OVER SOLD". Specialized has no idea what they're doing.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Ive got about a dozen rides on my bike currently.
    S3 Slack and Low position w 170 lyrik
    Loving the bike not really super thrilled with the DPX2 how my bike is currently set up I'm around 170-175 at 230ish psi. Next size up in volume spacer I think its the 1.0. It feels alright but not very balanced from to rear. I have a friend that is going to let me barrow a super deluxe air and I was going to maybe grab a MEGNEG to see if I can get a little softer off the top and more in the middle. Anyone have base setup with a standard super deluxe and also anyone have much tuning with the MEGNEG. I know with the last SJ EVO a lot of people said the MEGNEG was a huge improvement.

Thanks
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    Ive got about a dozen rides on my bike currently.
    S3 Slack and Low position w 170 lyrik
    Loving the bike not really super thrilled with the DPX2 how my bike is currently set up I'm around 170-175 at 230ish psi. Next size up in volume spacer I think its the 1.0. It feels alright but not very balanced from to rear. I have a friend that is going to let me barrow a super deluxe air and I was going to maybe grab a MEGNEG to see if I can get a little softer off the top and more in the middle. Anyone have base setup with a standard super deluxe and also anyone have much tuning with the MEGNEG. I know with the last SJ EVO a lot of people said the MEGNEG was a huge improvement.

Thanks
    I think you're doing too much on your shock setup, I am 165-170 lbs and have mine set up stock volume spacer, 8 clicks out on rebound, 2 clicks in on compression, 200 PSI at about 28 percent sag. If you have that much air pressure and a bigger token it is going to feel super harsh. I was going to upgrade to the Float X2 but with these settings my shock feels amazing and I ride super fast and chunky So-Cal terrain.

On my last bike I had a DPX2, spent a ton of money getting a Super Deluxe MEGNEG, even got it Vorsprung Tractive tuned. In the end I sold it and put the DPX2 back on because it was slightly better and way easier to setup.

Try a little less crazy setup on the DPX2 and you will be impressed. If you want an upgrade over that I would go Float X2 or DHX2, to be honest the Super Deluxe isn't much different from a DPX2. I'm also not sure overforking is a great idea unless you rode it with the normal fork length first and had an issue you needed to fix, my bike feels so dialed and I'm just doing a standard setup. Low Position, middle headset, reccomended sag and stock tokens.

mtbr member
    I started at about 175psi .8 token and worked my way up to here. I did try around the 200psi mark and .8 but still felt like it didnt have very much pop or support. Then bumped up to the 230ish range. Then looked on specy web site and they suggested 230. I was still bottoming out every once in a while, thats when I bumped up to the larger volume spacer. I wouldn't say its harsh but its far from soft off the top.
    I swapped parts off my last bike and thats why my forks at 170 and honestly I like it like that. My last bike was slacker than this bike even how its configured now. It also had a EXT so maybe thats part of the problem...
    I'm coil-curious but I'm a little nervous about LR and it just blowing up. Know some people with the last SJ evo and a bomber CR, it blew up all the time. Maybe ill bump back down in + spacer and see if I can pull a - spacer out.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    I started at about 175psi .8 token and worked my way up to here. I did try around the 200psi mark and .8 but still felt like it didnt have very much pop or support. Then bumped up to the 230ish range. Then looked on specy web site and they suggested 230. I was still bottoming out every once in a while, thats when I bumped up to the larger volume spacer. I wouldn't say its harsh but its far from soft off the top.
    I swapped parts off my last bike and thats why my forks at 170 and honestly I like it like that. My last bike was slacker than this bike even how its configured now. It also had a EXT so maybe thats part of the problem...
    I'm coil-curious but I'm a little nervous about LR and it just blowing up. Know some people with the last SJ evo and a bomber CR, it blew up all the time. Maybe ill bump back down in + spacer and see if I can pull a - spacer out.

You have a lot going on, pretty sure the bike comes with a .6, did you even do 1 ride with the stock spacer? I would never do a first ride and change the settings to something that can make it or break it like the wrong volume spacer. My first ride was 195 PSI, then got to 200, then got all the way to 210 and have settled on 200. That's a swing of 15 PSI, you have a swing of almost 60 PSI so its kind of hard to dial that in.

If you are looking for pop and support but are running a 62.5 head angle and 170 fork maybe the problem isn't the shock?? How do you know you like it if you never tried the stock setup first? I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to help you consider trying some more in the middle settings because I have gone crazy with setup on other bikes and then switched everything back to stock and felt better.

mtbr member
    You have a lot going on, pretty sure the bike comes with a .6, did you even do 1 ride with the stock spacer? I would never do a first ride and change the settings to something that can make it or break it like the wrong volume spacer. My first ride was 195 PSI, then got to 200, then got all the way to 210 and have settled on 200. That's a swing of 15 PSI, you have a swing of almost 60 PSI so its kind of hard to dial that in.

If you are looking for pop and support but are running a 62.5 head angle and 170 fork maybe the problem isn't the shock?? How do you know you like it if you never tried the stock setup first? I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to help you consider trying some more in the middle settings because I have gone crazy with setup on other bikes and then switched everything back to stock and felt better.
    You are correct on spacers I was off. I have the .8 installed now not the .6 stock. I thought the stock was .8 and I went to the next size. Yes I did probably 8 or more rides with .6 installed.

Yes its is about a 62.5HTA... I like that. You can have a poppy bike thats still slack. The bike now is poppy. I just feel like its not very supple off the top. This bike is probably 40-50mm shorter than my last bike.

I was going off percentages. Changing around 5% - 10% every 3 rides. Till got here. I'll try going the other way to see if I can get it more supple off the top.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The bike industry is embarrassing right now. Apparently in the US all of the EVO's went to the west and east coast, almost nothing intermountain-west- you know where almost everyone rides mountain bikes LTD's strictly went to Europe. Nothing in the US. The mullet link is not on the B2B site in the US because there are none available here. Some Specialized bikes currently have lead times of 400+ days. I've long said someone at Specialized should be fired, whoever spec's their bikes and whoever decides sales numbers doesn't seem like they graduated high school. Pretty embarrassing and it's a problem that continuously happens model year after model year. Examples are readily apparent on their E-bike line and availability of everything else. A smaller company has an excuse but not Specialized, Giant, Scott, etc. Not when they're recording record profits. Giant stock has more than doubled in the last 6 months.

There's a good chance I'm going to keep the Megatower. I'm at least holding onto the frame until I can throw my leg over one in a couple weeks. Luckily backcountry has a liberal return policy. If I end up keeping the Megatower and the S5 Evo frame I do have on order does appear in mid-December I would be willing to work out a deal for someone to claim the frame from Fanatik when I return it. If I do end up keeping it and someone in the UK wants to make a little money for their effort I would love for someone to ship me a Mullet link.
    My dealership just confirmed today that Spesh verified again that a huge shipment is still arriving in mid- late December and that my frame is in that order. Frame ordered Oct 22 for reference.

Timing is good really, in my case. EXT shock should arrive around Dec. 20th, Mezzer LE should arrive around Dec. 13th, and who knows maybe even my TS brakes will arrive in time as they are due approximately in January.

mtbr member
    My dealership just confirmed today that Spesh verified again that a huge shipment is still arriving in mid- late December and that my frame is in that order. Frame ordered Oct 22 for reference.

Timing is good really, in my case. EXT shock should arrive around Dec. 20th, Mezzer LE should arrive around Dec. 13th, and who know maybe even my TS brakes will arrive in time as they are do approximately in January.
    I hope youíre right, my order went in 10/15 and Fanatik is supposedly getting a large order of frames. I had meniscus surgery last week so Iím not in a real rush either, I have about a month until I can ride again and by that point who knows what winter will bring. I need to decide on whether a SJ Evo will be a good enough all arounder with how I have it specíed or should I go with a megatower/tallboy combo with a spare dual crown fork for the megatower for the annual Whistler trip.

anyone spent time on both the MT and EVO?

mtbr member
    Got another ride in today with the X2 on some different trails. This bike is really, really good. It has a quickness side to side that makes it super reactive. It is super playful on the trail and I find myself pulling up for every natural double and snapping off side hits whenever I spot one.

It was also very quick on the descents. Put up a couple of PR's again today on some crazy terrain. Overall loving the bike and exactly what I was hoping to get out of it. I do highly recommend the X2 on the backend. Transforms the bike.

mtbr member
    Got another ride in today with the X2 on some different trails. This bike is really, really good. It has a quickness side to side that makes it super reactive. It is super playful on the trail and I find myself pulling up for every natural double and snapping off side hits whenever I spot one.

It was also very quick on the descents. Put up a couple of PR's again today on some crazy terrain. Overall loving the bike and exactly what I was hoping to get out of it. I do highly recommend the X2 on the backend. Transforms the bike.
    You arenít helping... LOL! Glad to see youíre getting along with the X2 on the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Where do you feel it improves upon the stock DPX2 on this bike?

mtbr member
    Where do you feel it improves upon the stock DPX2 on this bike?
    It is more supple off the top, but still retains the playful character and pop

mtbr member
    You arenít helping... LOL! Glad to see youíre getting along with the X2 on the bike.
    I do my best!

mtbr member
    I hope youíre right, my order went in 10/15 and Fanatik is supposedly getting a large order of frames. I had meniscus surgery last week so Iím not in a real rush either, I have about a month until I can ride again and by that point who knows what winter will bring. I need to decide on whether a SJ Evo will be a good enough all arounder with how I have it specíed or should I go with a megatower/tallboy combo with a spare dual crown fork for the megatower for the annual Whistler trip.

anyone spent time on both the MT and EVO?
    Never mind, thought I found some S5's in stock, but it is only SWorks builds

Also as an FYI it looks like a shipment of the Pro builds came in and there are S3/S4 Comp builds available out there as well.