Dealer Discount on ordered bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Dealer Discount on ordered bike?

I'm in the Chicago area and looking to buy a Specialized Epic Expert Evo and none of the local shops have it in stock, so I'll need to have one of them order it. I've contacted all of them via email and spoke to a few of them and none are willing to offer any discount to get the business. Does anyone know if they're able to offer a discount when ordering a non-stock item?
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Specialized Epic Expert Evo
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

Up In Smoke
    I wouldn't imagine they would like to sell a current year model at any discount, they are in the money making business. Maybe if they had last years model sitting on a stand for more than 6 months and they just need to get rid of it. This is why it helps to have a good relationship with your local shops. Find a shop you like, and form a good relationship, yes, that requires spending money.

mtbr member
    There is no price difference between ordering and flooring a bike. Widen your search...

mtbr member
    I dealt with Johnny Sprockets, speak to Manuel in person and he will treat you well. I ended up not buying in Chicago but all the same hes a good guy.

Every Chicago bike shop seems to stock nothing, Sprockets has bikes from years ago sitting around.

Get a Grip Cycles is the best place to order a bike as he specializes in bike fit, so it's all a package deal, it's one guy one on one, he is a super honest dude. He can order a few brands but doesn't stock much. He will give you a great bike fit hes just not a specialized dealer

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Call Shaun at n1bike. He will take care of you.
    N+1 Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Guys, thanks for the replies. As you can tell from my signature I just went in the other day and bit the bullet. Location wise I am between 2 dealers, The Wheel Thing in Lagrange and Spokes in Wheaton. I went with Spokes since I've done a lot of test riding with them. They are setting the bike up tubeless for me and I pick it up Thursday or Friday.

mtbr member
    Hope you got a decent deal!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

$0 deals offered on ordered specialized bikes in the Chicago Area

So what I've learned is if you're looking for a deal on a higher end model they need to order, forget about getting any % deal off the price. Sure they offered the normal general fitting and setting the tires up tubeless, but as for cash off a $5k bike forget it. I found a couple Specialized Epic last years floor models around but none of them were the Evo model. I'll be happy with the bike just putting this out there for all the deal shoppers.

CEO Product Failure
    In Peoria IL, there atleast 3 Specialized dealers. All selling the same stuff at different prices. Not sure how/why this occurs. Not sure how their margins shake out either. Just my experience with Specialized in a much smaller market than Chicago-land.

My opinion is to select the shop you have the best relationship with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    For me I join the local race team -(road team) -I do not race and only ride on casual club rides a couple times a year----but enjoy the club discounts at the local shop on the brand the club rides---which just happens to be your brand----I do not know if this is a common practice but I suspect many shops support the local team

since 4/10/2009
    I have seen such policies vary. Most have some sort of commitment to do a certain number of events per year. Not necessarily races, but definitely paid events. Some require actual races. And some have different levels - one for the "club rider" as you describe, and another with better discounts on more stuff, for riders who race. And some require you to apply to be on the race team after joining the club. And prove race participation over a period of time.

Makes sure the shop gets a bit more advertising exposure out of the deal, which is essentially what sponsoring a team falls under.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Harold is correct------in my case one needs to wear team colors with the shop as a main sponsor when we ride and need to wear the entire kit------and the club has made a commitment to buy X dollars of product over the year--and lucky for me the number of folks racing is pretty large---