Clear Coat Bubbling up- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Clear Coat Bubbling up

Have a 2016 Roubaix SL4 with black matte (red letter brand) and after riding in the rain 3 days the top tube, only about 1/2 of it, started bubbling up like a madman.

I can just chip it off in big chunks with my finger nail.

A coworker suggested just taking back the bubbled area with a scraper or 0000 and using a matte polish. Another suggested contacting the company about what clear coat to use to spray back on.

Any suggestions by ppl here who actually ride bikes? I take care of the bike. Quite surprised. It's out of warranty of course (2nd owner, past 2 years)

Funny thing is, I have a sticker badge of my last name over part of the area and under it the clear coat is fine. So maybe it's not UV rated, or water resistant if it's wet for a long time?!? IDK. TIA!

mtbr member
    Sweat.

I think the 3 days in the rain just sealed the deal, the prior 3 years of dripping sweat on the top tube PROBABLY made this happen.

I could be wrong.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by db9091 View Post
    Have a 2016 Roubaix SL4 with black matte (red letter brand) and after riding in the rain 3 days the top tube, only about 1/2 of it, started bubbling up like a madman.

I can just chip it off in big chunks with my finger nail.

A coworker suggested just taking back the bubbled area with a scraper or 0000 and using a matte polish. Another suggested contacting the company about what clear coat to use to spray back on.

Any suggestions by ppl here who actually ride bikes? I take care of the bike. Quite surprised. It's out of warranty of course (2nd owner, past 2 years)

Funny thing is, I have a sticker badge of my last name over part of the area and under it the clear coat is fine. So maybe it's not UV rated, or water resistant if it's wet for a long time?!? IDK. TIA!
    Questions: Is it factory or is it aftermarket paint? If you were the original owner it would still be under the lifetime warranty.

Where are you in the world? There are companies out there that can fix it, or you can have a go yourself, however I would advise against that unless you have knowledge of what you are doing.

If it was a gloss, it would be a lot easier to rub back and fix, however satin matte's are a PITA to match and blend in. It can be done, but I would advise professionally.

Regards

Chris