mfDB
    Oct 2008

Bushing/Bearing rebuild - are there specs/instructions anywhere

I have a 2008 Stumpy FSR Expert. Are the instructions / specs for rebuilding the rear end. Do they come with the kits when you order them from a Specialized dealer?

Any help is appreciated

On wuss patrol

yes, there are

To maintain your factory warranty if you are the original owner, take it to an authorized Spec service facility. I like to wrench on my stuff and think this is lame. I guess I can work on everything but the rear pivots.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mfDB
    Oct 2008
    I am the second owner so the warranty is out the window. I have done this on other bikes when I worked in a shop. Maybe my Spec dealer will help me.

mtbr member
    I just bought a 2008 Stumpy Expert frame used and I also want to do a bearing rebuild. if you find anything could you post it up here? Thanks!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mfDB
    I have a 2008 Stumpy FSR Expert. Are the instructions / specs for rebuilding the rear end. Do they come with the kits when you order them from a Specialized dealer?

Any help is appreciated
    If you have the manual, you will find all the details you need in there. This includes exploded diagrams of the bearings/bushes and also the part numbers. Industry-standard bearing numbers are supplied.

If you don't have the manual, look at the Spec site under Support.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    www.enduroforkseals.com has better bearings for less than a dealer.

Go here and scroll down. $45 a set.
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id211.html

Get some allen wrenches and take that bike apart. You don't need to pay someone to do this work, unless you want to.

Loser
    I just did the bearings in my '08 enduro SL, I am assuming the Stumpy is similar. Most of the bearings are easy to remove using a threaded rod and a socket as a bearing puller. There are a few that have back to back bearings, on those you have to use a hammer and a punch to remove one of the bearings before you can get the second one out with the bearing puller. Its not hard at all - it takes some patience, but anyone with a little mechanical know how can do it.

Out of all the bearings on my frame I had one that was stubborn, that one probably took me 20 minutes to take out, the rest of them were 5 minutes or less per once I got the right sized sockets in hand.

If you buy a bearing kit from Specialized there is an exploded view of the bike showing how each bearing goes in, but if you pay attention when you take it apart, you really don't need it, and as mentioned above, you can get the bearings a lot cheaper through Enduroforkseals.

John

Members who have read this thread: 0