Which brakes to keep? Avid Juicy 7's VS. Avid Ultimate 7 Custom (Specialized)- Mtbr.com
    The Green Machine
    Dec 2007

Which brakes to keep? Avid Juicy 7's VS. Avid Ultimate 7 Custom (Specialized)

X-post from brake forum. Some of you may have more expertise in the area.

I have a 2008 Specialized Enduro SL expert that came with defective "custom" Avid Ultimate 7's. So the bike shop has sent them in for a warrenty replacement, but in the mean time to keep me riding, they put a new set of Juicy 7's on the bike.

It's my choice as whether to keep the Juicy 7's or have them replaced with Ultimates whenever Avid chooses to send a new pair. What is the difference between these brakes and which should I keep? The bike shop thinks I should stick with the 7's, he says the Ulitmates come with a one piece caliper vs. 2 piece on the 7's, but says the one piece is less stiff? He also says that because they are "custom" Ultimates they don't offer the light weight carbon bits of the standard Ultimates.

I kind of like having the external dial to control the contact point on the 7's but other than that, I'm not seeing much of a difference.

Your thoughts?

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    if the 7s are working without problem, i'd keep them instead of getting a brake that failed and needed warranty replacement.

mtbr member
    I thought the ultimates custom had the "avid ultimate" caliper and normal juicy 7 lever.

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    I don't know about the caliper, the levers are different I know that much cause the Ultimates didn't have the adjustment knob. You needed an allen key to do it.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by littleblue
    I don't know about the caliper, the levers are different I know that much cause the Ultimates didn't have the adjustment knob. You needed an allen key to do it.
    that's what frustrates me about specialized. they run 'custom' variants of components that you can't buy so you're not sure what their actual quality ranking is--or even what the hell they are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm pretty sure that the only difference between the 'custom' Ultimates that Spec specs and the real Ultimates is the lack of carbon levers, ti hardware, and different colors on the 'custom' ones..... I've got ultimates on one bike and the custom ultimates on another and there is no difference in performance at all.....

mtbr member
    The custom just means swapped caliper/lever. All they do is mix and match parts. Wether it be other bolts or another color. Silly if you ask me.

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    So should I bother swapping back to the Ultimates or should I just be happy w/ the 7's?

mtbr member
    I would put the ultimates back on. After all, that's what you paid for when you bought the bike isn't it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Simplton had it right. They're just like the Ultimates without the carbon levers. I would go with the custom ultimates. They should be lighter. Although I do miss the adjustment knob on mine.

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    My Front brake(Custom Ultimate 08) has just developed problems after 11 months.I phoned the LBS and he said they'd send them for sevice but the last 3 or 4 Ultimates they've sent back have just been replaced due to manufacturing faults.I personally don't understand why Spesh don't just spec bikes with standard brakes instead of "custom" stuff.The pad adjuster on the Ultimates is crap,why not just use the same adjuster as the Juicy 7?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I had the same problem

I got a new set of Ultimate customs (or whatever) and the replacement set works like they are supposed to. Might as well get a spanking new set, right?

LBS phoned today to say that the importers of Avids are going to replace the brakes with Juicy Ultimates(not the Spesh custom ones)the only problem is they've only got White or Blue instock I've gone for White because the blue looks a bit "cartoony" for me,and i didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks for a black set.

Well i got the Ultimates in white with carbon levers Not much difference as i can see to the Specialized custom ones apart from the lever getting used to the colour now but think i will replace the pad adjuster for a Juicy 7 star-wheel.I've never liked the allen-key adjuster on the Ultimates.

mtbr member
    guys... I have the same setup... '08 Enduro SL w/the "custom" Avid Ultimate 7 brakes... I am continually having issues w/the front brake just dying all the time. The brake was bled 4 weeks ago and I just noticed yesterday after a ride that the brake lever will now go almost all the way to the handlebar...this has happened multiple times. It works fine for a couple of weeks after it's bled and then just dies. My Enduro is a demo bike and the shop I bought the bike at is under new ownership and they dropped Spesh. I might be SOL on this one... not good.. any recommendations ??? Oh, the pad adjustment - in and out knob - is just a WORTHLESS... it doesn't even work...

I find you have to wind the pad adjuster fully in,which brings the lever closer to the bars,then wind the lever reach adjuster out to make any significant difference.
    If you're having issues withe the brakes contact either specialized or the importer of the brakes direct.They changed mine after 14 months no questions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo
    I find you have to wind the pad adjuster fully in,which brings the lever closer to the bars,then wind the lever reach adjuster out to make any significant difference.
    If you're having issues withe the brakes contact either specialized or the importer of the brakes direct.They changed mine after 14 months no questions
    ibbo - thx, I'll play around the adjusters and see if that makes any difference.
    B/t/w did Spesh or your LBS tell you what the "manufacturing faults" were with your brakes ?

Members who have read this thread: 1