mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Brake tuning question...

Is it possible to adjust AVID hydraulic disc brakes (lower/raise brake force) the way you can with mechanical disc brakes?

07 Epic: I find that I can apply full force to my front brake and not lockup the front tire, but as soon as I touch the rear brake, the rear tire locks/skids and usually forces the rear end to step out. (This is really scary on curves outlined with cactus!)

mtbr member
    Are these Avid Juicy 7 brakes? You can "unscrew" the red dial and make the lever engage the master cylinder sooner. Or, "screw in" the dial and get more of a delay. The levers on the 7 version and higher are quite adjustable, so you can adjust the lever reach with a small allen key and then dial in (or out) the master cylinder engagement. Once you get used to the brakes, you can then readjust them to get the most out of the set.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    no, they are Juicy 5 brakes. Any tricks to these? maybe switch pads? spacing? rotor size?

mtbr member
    I don't have those, and I am not aware of anything useful. I have read of tricks with taking the wheel (and thus, the rotor) out and playing with the lever pull to get the pad out. Maybe someone else can speak to this?
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My bike came with the avid juicy seven/ultimate manual and it doesn't mention anything about the juicy 5's.

Members who have read this thread: 0