BitHit SPEC Grom- Mtbr.com
    When in doubt, go faster

BitHit SPEC Grom

Hey all, has any one had experances with the BH Spec Grom? My little bro (9 years old, 4 foot, like MAYBE 50 pounds) in starting to go bigger chasing his big bro and his Hotrock isnt going to last much longer.

Thanks for any opinions,
    Dory

Nov 2006
    I bought a Grom for my son in '05. He was 10yrs, 85-90lbs. he is 12yrs, 110lbs, 5'2" now. it was a bit heavy in the beginning but he thrashes on it like a man now. its a tough bike, but slightly heavy. its only real draw back is it comes with a 38 tooth single ring in the front , wich makes it difficult for the little guys to pedal around. I bought a used set of 22/32 170mm cranks w/bash ring, a new frnt derailer,shifter, cable,and cable guide for under the frame, all for less than $150. this is the way it should come from the factory.

Its a tough heavy bike that needs better gearing. I would recomend it for a kid that truly rides hard enough to scare his dad, for regular riding around, its unnecessary.

It is a Bighit.

Vince

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by xjvince
    I I would recomend it for a kid that truly rides hard enough to scare his dad

Where was this bike when i was growing up?!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Jun 2005
    there's a new one, Bighit Gromhit. looks like a demo.

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by revmonkey
    there's a new one, Bighit Gromhit. looks like a demo.

Any pics? I want to see it, its not up on their site yet.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    my nephew is too small for his grom, so i've been thinking of trying 20" wheels instead of the 24" ones on it. he's around 65 pounds at 9 yrs.

i also have a custom built grom that i made to play around on myself. it's sporting 26 wheels, and i can say it is tight for an adult, but the weight feels about right. that said, the weight might be a bit much for the smaller kids.

i also agree we needed this bike when we were kids!

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Any pics? I want to see it, its not up on their site yet.
    it's on the canadian site. makes me believe it's a canadian bike. FSR to boot. with 26" wheels, it might actually be a capable short-travel DJ fully.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xjvince
    I bought a Grom for my son in '05. He was 10yrs, 85-90lbs. he is 12yrs, 110lbs, 5'2" now. it was a bit heavy in the beginning but he thrashes on it like a man now. its a tough bike, but slightly heavy. its only real draw back is it comes with a 38 tooth single ring in the front , wich makes it difficult for the little guys to pedal around. I bought a used set of 22/32 170mm cranks w/bash ring, a new frnt derailer,shifter, cable,and cable guide for under the frame, all for less than $150. this is the way it should come from the factory.

Its a tough heavy bike that needs better gearing. I would recomend it for a kid that truly rides hard enough to scare his dad, for regular riding around, its unnecessary.

It is a Bighit.

Vince
    My 10 year old is/was currently riding one. Your right about the weight and gearing and the toughness. I just bought him a P.2 and now the Grom is up for sale. I sure like the looks of the new one. Thats the first I have seen of it. It's a beauty.

Jun 2005
    i like it too, looks like a baby demo. and it's fsr, which is a plus i guess. the thing that irks me is the rocker arm though. but i guess for a grom it's not an issue.

Sep 2005
    Go to you local Specialized dealer and get them to check if there are any small 06 Bighit 2's left. Might be a little big, but it will definitely stand up to anything he can throw at it. I just picked up a new medium one for $1250. The fork sucks, but I plan on changing that out, other than that it has a very good componet spec.
    Last edited by mb3designs; 01-20-2007 at 06:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    dude, i'm serious, you don't want to use that image. it can be unfortunate.

anyway, good score on the big hit, know anyone else that wants one? i ordered a medium and needed a large. i can say with certainty there are no more of the big hit II in size large. i ordered the last one this morning. there are plenty of mediums in that model and the big hit I is very well stocked in all sizes as well. with a single crown fork, i would expect it to be more suited to younger riders. throw some smaller wheels on it and away your youngin goes.

as for comparison to that gromhit or whatever, it seems similar to the grom i built with the 26 as far as the tightness in the cockpit. probably pretty good for smaller riders, but cramped for an adult, so i'm not so sure about jumping on it. but i do plan to test mine extensively in that role when the ground thaws.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    dude, i'm serious, you don't want to use that image. it can be unfortunate.
    Yeah, you are right. I just read where someone trying to sell a Specialized bike on Ebay got their image removed because it came off the big S's website. I will try to be more careful.

Members who have read this thread: 0