big hit hurts already wounded wallet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

big hit hurts already wounded wallet

i just purchased a specialized "big hit" with sun single trac rims. on the fourth ride out pretzeled [totally bent] my front rim with hardly any aggressive riding. the shop is charging me to repair the bike which doesent sit right with me being the bike is less than one month old and only used a few times. anybody have some advise on how to deal with this....greatly appreciated jimmy

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by waternut
    i just purchased a specialized "big hit" with sun single trac rims. on the fourth ride out pretzeled [totally bent] my front rim with hardly any aggressive riding. the shop is charging me to repair the bike which doesent sit right with me being the bike is less than one month old and only used a few times. anybody have some advise on how to deal with this....greatly appreciated jimmy
    What were you doing at the time you broke the rim? No offense but unless the bike was setup incorrectly to begin with when you purchased it (i.e. loose spokes, etc..) it shouldn't be the bike shop's fault that it broke. Some products last longer than others and under different circumstances. It seems to me that even then it would be more your fault than the lbs because its the rider's responsibility to check their equipment before riding. BUT, if the rim was produced incorrectly in the first place and it just happened to collapse on you, then that would probably be a warranty issue.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Jan 2004
    Ive taken many many hard hits on my single tracks and there barely untrued! How do u bend it?

Feb 2004
    Is the shop getting you the parts for free and you pay for the labor OR do you have to buy a whole new wheel?

I busted an Alex wheelset (rear) and my LBS got a new hub through Giant. I paid to have the wheel built back up, which was a deal that I thought was fair.

My rear hub on my 2003 Xero Feral wheelset developed play after one week. The factory inspected/repaired the wheel, but allowed me to upgrade the 2004 Xero Session Freeride wheelset anyways. Good to their word, it arrived on the exact day they said it would. Best customer service I have ever experienced in the 15 + years I've been mountain biking. The wheelset is 100% made in Taiwan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i was hitting a 3-4' jump to 15 degree landing and on impact is when it bent, i did stike rear tire first..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

] the shop says they will up grade the hub and spokes, which in my oppinion are fine, dt- stainless spokes and specialized stout hubs, and new single trac rim for 100.00..im just dissappointed in have to pay more just after buying the bike which was not cheap....could you give me a contact for the rims you mentioned, maybe i'll go with them..take care

Feb 2004
    To be honest, sometimes to get good customer service you have to be a bit of an ass to put a fire under theirs. Speak w/ the Specialized area rep. Call your local better business bureau as well as your local news station to contact a consumer advocate. If you really think you've been wronged, fight it. If you were doing 10 ft drops with a product that was not made to do so, then demanding for Specialized to flip the bill would be dishonest. I have met more dishonest bike shop employees/owners than have bike companies. If you feel they are the ones jerking you around, look elsewhere for help.

As far as I know, the XERO wheelset is sold only in Europe.

Jan 2004

Not to be rude, but this sounds like a JRA story.

OK...just riding along...3-4 foot drop. Exactly and honestly, what happened before you had the catastrofic failure? I would have to think there was some kind incident that occured first, and the drop you described was the "last straw that broke the camel's back".

jci
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I got a JRA from a couple days ago..

The guy comes in to the shop with his bike, rear wheel stopped by the wrapped around derailuer. Says he was "just riding along" and a stick jumped up and got stuck in his rear wheel.

Luckily that awful looking spoke protector did its job, but he at least needs a new derailuer, and a new hanger. Was wondering if it was warranty because he only got the bike a short while ago, and that he shouldn't have to pay for something that happened so soon...

Ugh

When presented with a situitation like this where something can't be repaired, a discount for replacment may be nice, but by no means should anyone else down the line, be it the LBS, manufacturer, etc have to eat the complete cost if it can't honestly be warrantied. If you can be honest/serious about the history of the bike/wheel, and you weren't beating it up, then yea, manufactuer's defects, etc warrant warrantying. If not, just remember, they have to feed their children too.

As for if it needs medium/heavy truing, maybe next time consider a shop that does x amount of free adjustments. Again, things out of scope of a slight adjustment likely deserve a discounted charge.

Just my thoughts from the other side of things.

David

Edit: I just noticed the date on everything else in this thread, woops, kind of dragged up an old thread. Followed through on a "similar thread" link.
    Last edited by jci; 04-27-2004 at 01:11 PM.