Bicycle vs Motorcycle- Mtbr.com
    Slazz
    Aug 2008

Bicycle vs Motorcycle

After being in the motorcycle business for..going on 5 years now. I have realized that there are some moto gp riders that ride their bicycles in their off time. I found this to be a pretty cool thing.
    My question to you, fellow riders, is do you have a motorcycle? if so what is it? how do you like it? What kind of riding do you do? dirtbiking? atvs? streetbike? cruiser?
    How does riding your bicycle help you out on the motorcycle?

mtbr member
    I have a HD Fat Bob. Just got it this spring. I'm not sure there's direct correlation between the two, but I know intuitively that there's cross over. In situational awareness if nothing else... watching everything around me for who or what is going to kill me next.

They're also all fun to ride!

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    I run a Suzuki GSXR, and can tell, atleast for myself, how my awareness has increased on both. I look farther down the trail now, and much more attentive while on my 'Zuki.

The Other Dude
    I have an Yamaha R1 and a WR250F, both a blast when i am not on the MTB, and the MTB has made me a much better woods rider i believe.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Ive got a Zuki DRZ400 with supermoto and dirt set up and love it. I ride mostly trails and windy canyons when in supermoto.Being able to go 60+ on trails and 80 + on pavment slows my perspective when MTBing. Its also 200+ pounds heavier then the MTB making it more flickable.
    Hmm what to ride today.
    MW
    EndGam3

bi-winning
    I have no idea why this is in the Specialized form. Did they start making mots?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Slazz
    Aug 2008
    I didnt know where else to put it....plus I ride a specialized

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i got a 250 ninja and a CR 80 expert. switch bikes from time to time with my brother who has a YZ125 and a ninja 636.

i find that there are certain things you learn faster on bicycles that can carry over to motorcycles and vice versa. getting use to sliding for example. street bikes usually go in lines and dont slide around too much. (especially with the new moto GP engine size limit) however when you do start sliding around on the motorcycle it can be an "OH SH!T" moment or it can become a controlled slide. i learned how to lean in certain ways that will control my sliding better on my bicycle. which carried over to my dirt bike. which then carried over to my street bike. kind of like learning to do things at slow speeds then picking up the power and speed as you get better at it.

bi-winning

my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Tooth McGavin
    I didnt know where else to put it....plus I ride a specialized
    I think General Discussion would have been a nice fit.

though it might turn into a flame fest with mtbers claiming motos are bad for the environment/trail/whatever.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Slazz
    Aug 2008
    yeah....oh well the people on the Specialized threads are cool. haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bicycle and Motor Cycle both dirt and street have a huge cross over. The Hayden brothers all ride road bikes and mt. bikes, Matt Mladin will regularly do laps around the what AMA track he is at on his "Pushy" and Kevin Schwantz broke his wrist mt. bike in 90's pre or in the middle of the MotoGP season. There are lots more, Road Raacing World had a spread called "Cribs" in every issue where they interviewed a racer and shower his house. Every garage had motocycles of course but almost everyone also had a decent selection Mt. and Road "Pushies"

Up in Flag the trail riding club I belong too about half are avid mt. bikers. I have a KTM 200 for the dirt and Triumph Sprint for the street. I find two wheels is always the way to go; I spent the day pedaling my Enduro SL now I've get to get my KTM ready for tomorrow.

The Other Dude
    I know Ricky Carmichael had cycling as a HUGE part of his training program, if i remember correctly i have seen in more than one magazine ad picture of him riding is specialized (not sure if it was a tarmac or roubaix), and at one point in time specialized even presented him with a sweet custom painted Fuse BMX bike, so its cool too see the most dominant rider in the sport pick specialized. Here is alittle chunk of one i found online:

"he hired a personal trainer, Aldon Baker, a former mountain-bike racer from South Africa who had recently lost his sponsorship. With Baker's guidance, Carmichael developed an extensive training regiment that included bicycle riding, running, weight lifting, practice riding, and a healthy diet—all of which helped Carmichael slim down twenty pounds. Pudgy at five-feet, six-inches and 170 pounds, he was lean and powerful at 150 pounds. In a sport that has long been characterized by riders who party as hard as they ride, Carmichael became known as the most fit, hardest trainer in Motocross."
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got into Mountain biking as a way to train for Motorcross racing. I race +35 on a CRF 450R and 125 2-stroke only on a KX 125. I also Dragrace Motorcycles (a Suzuki Bandit) and ride a Hayabusa on the street.

But now Im having so much fun on the mountain bike I plan to start racing next spring. Too much racing, too little time. Motocross, Dragbikes, Shifter Karts, Mountain Bikes....

Slazz
    Aug 2008
    I know how that goes man....I like mountain biking, but in the summer...its all about my R6. to and from work 6 days a week on the bike if the weather is nice enough..then if I get done early I ride home..change gear and bikes..and go mountain biking.

Members who have read this thread: 1