best fork replacement rockhopper- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

best fork replacement rockhopper

Hello guys, I'm looking for a fork to replace the stock fork on my 2010 rockhopper comp. I do a lot of crosscountry riding, but am looking to transfer into more trail riding in the near future, resulting in the build of a new bike.

What I am trying to accomplish is to throw a new fork on my rockhopper that I will be able to transfer over to the next bike I build, which will be specifically geared toward aggressive trail riding. Therefor, (correct me if I'm wrong) I think something adjustable would suit my needs perfectly. I don't want to spend too much over $500 dollars, but am willing to drop the money to get what fits my needs. From my research so far, I've been eying the rockshox reba RLT and the fox 32 talas 140 fit. Any opinions/personal input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Trey

mtbr member
    Have the Reba on my 2010 Stumpjumper. Had the Tora on my previous Rockhopper. The Reba is so much smoother and responsive. No problems yet. Wish I could talk about Fox but have yet to own one. I have seen on many forums the Fox is a fine fork and preferred, however when it comes to service RockShox is preferred.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I think your lookin at the right forks for the money.

mtbr member
    I feel like the talas would be more suitable for an aggressive trail build....is the reba just as capable for almost half the price? or is the extra investment in the fox warranted if an aggressive trail build is the way I want to go?

mtbr member
    I've added another option, I discovered the rockshox sektor which is adjustable down to 110mm. I think the extra 10mm of travel should be fine on my rockhopper until i can get my hands on another frame to build on. Any opinions on this fork in relation to the other two? Thanks a lot.

Mountain Man Dan
    I had a Fox f100 on mine, till it broke. Tomorrow I should have a brand new X Fusion Velour R. ( Very Comparable to a REBA)
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    I believe the Sektor is more of a downhill fork which is fine for that activity and if you plan on doing that. If not, it may not be the best for XC. And the additional travel will throw the Rockhoppers geometry out of wack making it difficult to ride in corners and making hill climbing difficult. Might want to talk to a bike shop about the idea and see what they say according to your specific riding style.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

Mountain Man Dan
    Do not go over 100mm of travel. Simple as that, nothing under, nothing over. There are plenty of forks with 100mm of travel, if you can't pick one, then hey, keep it stock.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    Do not go over 100mm of travel. Simple as that, nothing under, nothing over. There are plenty of forks with 100mm of travel, if you can't pick one, then hey, keep it stock.
    while I agree with that statement for its face value, unfortunately dropping enough money for a complete build at once is not an option for me at the moment, and I'd like to continue riding while working towards the ultimate goal of building a new frame. The main issue with that I'm seeing right now is there are not a lot of forks that range from 100mm to 140mm. And unfortunately, 140mm is the travel range that a lot of trail bikes fall into. A very viable option as of now is getting the Reba with the intention of building a yeti asr5 in the next 6 months. The Reba seems to be a solid fork for the money.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a 120mm Reba RLT on my '08 RH & it is within the tolerances for the 26" frame. 100mm forks are fine for the 29" RH frame. I've seen 120mm on 29" RH's & 130mm on 26" RH's without an issue.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I wouldn't buy a new fork if I was planning my next frame within the year.

The current ASR5 has a tapered head tube. While you can get a lower bearing that adapts that for the fork steerer that's compatible with your Rockhopper, IMO it's better to build from the frame out. And if you're going to throw a bunch of money at a kickass new frame to build your next bike on, why not take advantage of the cool head tube? People with tapered steerers claim it makes a difference.

Of the two forks you mention, I'd be more inclined toward the TALAS. I'd want a fork that adjusted all the way down to 100mm, though.

Going longer voids your warranty on your frame, and can screw up the handling of the bike, especially on climbs. Personally, I'd be a lot more worried about the second issue than the first. So, I'd want the option to go back to the shorter travel (usually firmer on these systems too, I think) I was accustomed to for climbs and maybe riding in tight, rolling singletrack.

But like I said - I'd wait to get my hot new frame and get a fork with a tapered steerer to go with it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I wouldn't buy a new fork if I was planning my next frame within the year.

The current ASR5 has a tapered head tube. While you can get a lower bearing that adapts that for the fork steerer that's compatible with your Rockhopper, IMO it's better to build from the frame out. And if you're going to throw a bunch of money at a kickass new frame to build your next bike on, why not take advantage of the cool head tube? People with tapered steerers claim it makes a difference.

Of the two forks you mention, I'd be more inclined toward the TALAS. I'd want a fork that adjusted all the way down to 100mm, though.

Going longer voids your warranty on your frame, and can screw up the handling of the bike, especially on climbs. Personally, I'd be a lot more worried about the second issue than the first. So, I'd want the option to go back to the shorter travel (usually firmer on these systems too, I think) I was accustomed to for climbs and maybe riding in tight, rolling singletrack.

But like I said - I'd wait to get my hot new frame and get a fork with a tapered steerer to go with it.
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot for that. I think I'm going to opt for the Reba and try to get a little more use out of my rockhopper so I can extend getting my new frame out to a year or so. Thanks a lot.