Anyone know when the FSR patent is set to expire?- Mtbr.com
    offroader
    Dec 2008

Anyone know when the FSR patent is set to expire?

Anyone know when the FSR patent is set to expire? It'd be nice to have more choices in bikes like they have in Europe.

Oct 2005
    I don't know why I keep thinking it, but I thought they made an additional patent in 1998. I don't have the patent numbers, but you can run them through a google search and google will pull it up for you.

mtbr member
    With how stingy Specialized has historically been regarding the Horst Link, I doubt they'd ever just let it run out. I'd say its sure bet that whenever that date gets near, they will submit for a new patent or a renewal of the old one or whatever.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Riders don't win, we all lose....
    Last edited by CupOfJava; 02-06-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    here are the patent numbers (pic courtesy of bbc)

US Patent 5509679 - Rear suspension for bicycles
    US Patent Issued on April 23, 1996

US Patent 5678837 - Rear suspension for bicycles
    US Patent Issued on October 21, 1997

Oct 2005
    I can't cut and paste from an image

offroader
    Dec 2008
    http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5509679

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5678837

Is it 14 years for a design patent? Does this mean it will end in 2010?

dog lover-not in that way
    The first patent was filed 9/9/94, the second one was filed 4/16/96.

http://www.uspto.gov/main/faq/p120013.htm

For applications filed on or after June 8, 1995, utility and plant patents are granted for a term which begins with the date of the grant and usually ends 20 years from the date you first applied for the patent subject to the payment of appropriate maintenance fees. Design patents last 14 years from the date you are granted the patent. Note: Patents in force on June 8 and patents issued thereafter on applications filed prior to June 8, 1995 automatically have a term that is the greater of the twenty year term discussed above or seventeen years from the patent grant.
    So the first patent is good for 20 years (expires 2016), the second is good for 14 years (expires 2011).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I can't cut and paste from an image

now that is really lazy

mtbr member
    Can they renew that patent then before it expires or will it be an open playing field then?..........that would be the end of spec as we know it surely..........?
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

Oct 2005
    Dude, instant satisfaction. I could have pulled the same on you and called you out for not posting a link for us

Heading out to some new trails now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Dude, instant satisfaction. I could have pulled the same on you and called you out for not posting a link for us

Heading out to some new trails now!

HAHAHA

well.. I did post the numbers and dates about a minute later

enjoy the ride...it is raining here right now

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G4VNJ
    Can they renew that patent then before it expires or will it be an open playing field then?..........that would be the end of spec as we know it surely..........?
    What? The reason spec is so dominant isn't because of FSR, its because they engineer the fyck out of their bikes for a great blend of weight, geometry, and wheel path/shock rates that makes their bikes ride really, really, well. FSR isn't inherently better then plenty of other designs out there - specialized just designs their bikes really well to make it ride well. All it does is reduce brake squat and make the bike more flexy, and specialized has managed to minimize the second.

I'm far from specialized biggest proponent, but even in canada and europe, specialized is enormous, even when other companies are using FSR (norco, nicolai, devinci, and oodles of others). They make great bikes and have incredible support for them. I love nitpicking specialized and making fun of them for their patent and sue happy policies (but honestly I'd do the same thing in their place) and I'm not particularly fond of the way their bikes ride in general because I like different characteristics in my suspension, but they meet a great deal of peoples needs really, really well.

Specialized will stick around once their patent runs out. I doubt they'll even loose any market share.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    that's the real thing.
    great bikes with enormous fun-factor and perfect fit and riding abilities.
    FSR is not all, it's the same with the hardtails!
    Last edited by zauberer; 02-08-2009 at 09:23 AM.

The Mud Stud
    They have renewed it before. They will do it again. They have one of the top 3 best suspension systems ever created. And its exclusive to them. They arent about to let it go.

mtbr member
    This will sound a little ignorant, but what exactly makes the "FSR suspension" the FSR suspension?

I love my spec, but I'm not exactly sure what is the unique part of their linkage is (opposed to other brands like Trek).
    Last edited by SurfSailRide; 02-09-2009 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    They will sound a little ignorant, but what exactly makes the "FSR suspension" the FSR suspension?

I love my spec, but I'm not exactly sure what is the unique part of their linkage is (opposed to other brands like Trek).
    It's mainly the location of the rear pivot for four bar suspensions. The FSR (Horst Link) suspension has the rear pivot on the chain stay, in front of the rear axle. Other brands will try to get around this by having the pivot above the rear axle on the seat stay but it doesn't work as well. Trek's current suspension (ABP) has the pivot concentric with the axle. Then there are other designs such as Giant's Maestro which is VPP. It has the entire rear triangle rotating around a vitual pivot point, hence the name. There are a lot more details in the designs but I'm not a huge expert.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There is still the DW link and VPP.....
    Livin' the dream.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    It's kinda of stupid of the U.S. patent office to grant a patent to a pivot point.... It's a friggin pivot point for god sake! Where's the engineering? Just because they can describe what it does doesn't make it an invention.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    It's kinda of stupid of the U.S. patent office to grant a patent to a pivot point.... It's a friggin pivot point for god sake! Where's the engineering? Just because they can describe what it does doesn't make it an invention.
    It's not necessarily just the pivot point. The Horst link was one of the first four-bar suspension designs. If you look at the links above, you'll see that the patent is for the entire suspension linkages. The location of the pivot point is just the determining factor whether or not a suspension setup is infringing on the patent.

Oct 2005
    It is just a pivot point, not a spacial arrangement of other linkages, which is why specialized actually has several different types of suspensions, from swing links, rockers, and the LRS type. All contain the FSR link, which is just a design element within a suspension design. THey fudge that a bit in their marketing and people actually believe that this one pivot is a suspension design, as if there's nothing else between the mainframe and the HL.

Dec 2007
    I'm pretty sure you can't simply "renew" a patent. You can update the design and then patent the new "updated" design. That's the reason we have "generic" drugs. Do you think that drug companies would ever let one of their drug patents expire? All they do is change something in the formula and give it a new name and get a new patent for the same drug they had before with the new minor change and market the hell out of the "new and improved" version.

Members who have read this thread: 2