Anyone else use their Enduro as strictly a XC bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone else use their Enduro as strictly a XC bike?

Please tell me I'm not the only one. I have my 02 Enduro Pro set up with a Vanilla 125R (adjusted to 100mm), rear linkage to highest BB/shortest travel, and a PUSH-modded Float R for bob elimination.
    I ride aggressive XC and would probably be better off with an 04 SJ expert disk (Pro disk would be first choice ).
    Anyone else go from an Enduro to a SJ or ride their Enduro as XC only? What were your thoughts? Any other mods you've done to help the bike in XC?

Lou.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

contains quinine
    at this point, i've ridden my enduro on all kinds of trails - on trails I've also ridden on my old xc suspension bike, hardtail, even my cross bike. my last ride (see "Lefthanded ride" in passion) is pretty technical - i last rode it on my hardtail... so strictly xc? I never know how to define those differences.... that said, if you're looking for good upgrades, check into a nice light set of wheels. I picked up a rear wtb wheel that's made a world of difference on my bike (from redstonecyclery.com)
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Strictly XC here with no complaints. Maybe if I raced and was good at it, I'd think about a different bike, but the Enduro is the perfect all-around trail bike IMHO.

mtbr member
    Dude, if you go SJ you wont look back, well maybe not. I Own and love both bikes, but the SJ is just sooo much more nimble, like a a porsche to a bus. I came away from rides that would have zapped all energy on the enduro to being able to ride again on the SJ. I dunno if its the geometry, or the SPV, I just plain go further, faster and walk away feeling pretty good. I hadnt ridden w/my buddy in a while and went out w/him the other day and he started asking me if I was taking steriods? I was laughing.

The big diff tho is the descending, the rear is fine and up to the challenge but the geometry is different. I found myself stopping a few time thru a pretty hairy techinical stretch where I ride on the SJ, but a month later Im getting out of the saddle puttin my ass over rear tire and letting it run, no problem.

If it was I Id go for the SJ, I ride typical Socal -steep ascents and descents that are rocky and technical-. If you you dont go SJ atleast get your shock PUSHED or a propedal, but in all seriousness the SJ rear end is as about all the suspension you could want or need for any XC/trail riding.

The only thing that gets me is that I went out and paid full price for this years, usually I wait for the last years model and pay about 1/2, maybe your smarter than me and can hold out till next Jan.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Enduro for XC

Hey Lou I have a 04 Enduro pro frame built up as a XC bike also. Like yourself I have a FOX Vanilla RL however I am running it at 105 mm and also the high BB setting. With this setting the head angle is ~ 70 deg. The only negative thing I can see using the Enduro as a XC bike frame is the ~350g of added weight in the frame and the high BB hence high higher centre of gravity. While a high BB is good for clearing things, it also reduces high speed stability since you are further off the ground. While we could use the lower BB setting on the rear link, that will reduce the head angle to ~69 deg which may make the steering a little slow for XC.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    Please tell me I'm not the only one. I have my 02 Enduro Pro set up with a Vanilla 125R (adjusted to 100mm), rear linkage to highest BB/shortest travel, and a PUSH-modded Float R for bob elimination.
    I ride aggressive XC and would probably be better off with an 04 SJ expert disk (Pro disk would be first choice ).
    Anyone else go from an Enduro to a SJ or ride their Enduro as XC only? What were your thoughts? Any other mods you've done to help the bike in XC?

Lou.
    I'm not sure what you mean by XC, but my most frequent favorite ride is a cross country ride back full of rocks, roots and gullies that broke stuff and me before I went to the Enduro or my single speed. I'm in love with my Enduro, and I'm sure I've added even more weight to it with a bigger fork, Mallet pedals and a bigger seat. In my case I have less fatigue with the plush 130mm of travel, big heavy tires and big soft seat.

If XC means racer boy, then I like my classic Yo Eddy, or swap the single speed's Bomber for a rigid fork.

I do ride it at a ski area if that's down hill, but not as a down hill racer. I also started this sport before there were real mountain bikes, so the Enduro is pretty gnarly compared to my original StumpJumper. No matter what I doubt that I would waste money on or carry the extra weight of suspension if it were less than that of my Enduro. Subtract commuting, and my Enduro or single speed get most of the riding time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    I'm not sure what you mean by XC, but my most frequent favorite ride is a cross country ride back full of rocks, roots and gullies that broke stuff and me before I went to the Enduro or my single speed. I'm in love with my Enduro, and I'm sure I've added even more weight to it with a bigger fork, Mallet pedals and a bigger seat. In my case I have less fatigue with the plush 130mm of travel, big heavy tires and big soft seat.

If XC means racer boy, then I like my classic Yo Eddy, or swap the single speed's Bomber for a rigid fork.

I do ride it at a ski area if that's down hill, but not as a down hill racer. I also started this sport before there were real mountain bikes, so the Enduro is pretty gnarly compared to my original StumpJumper. No matter what I doubt that I would waste money on or carry the extra weight of suspension if it were less than that of my Enduro. Subtract commuting, and my Enduro or single speed get most of the riding time.

The Enduro is pretty versitale but l went the burly route - wider rims & tires, flats , Sherman fork, 75mm stem etc. I think the bike can be built anyway but I wouldn't think it would make a perfect XC or Freerider - it'd stuck in between.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    Dude, if you go SJ you wont look back, well maybe not. I Own and love both bikes, but the SJ is just sooo much more nimble, like a a porsche to a bus. I came away from rides that would have zapped all energy on the enduro to being able to ride again on the SJ. I dunno if its the geometry, or the SPV, I just plain go further, faster and walk away feeling pretty good. I hadnt ridden w/my buddy in a while and went out w/him the other day and he started asking me if I was taking steriods? I was laughing.

The big diff tho is the descending, the rear is fine and up to the challenge but the geometry is different. I found myself stopping a few time thru a pretty hairy techinical stretch where I ride on the SJ, but a month later Im getting out of the saddle puttin my ass over rear tire and letting it run, no problem.

If it was I Id go for the SJ, I ride typical Socal -steep ascents and descents that are rocky and technical-. If you you dont go SJ atleast get your shock PUSHED or a propedal, but in all seriousness the SJ rear end is as about all the suspension you could want or need for any XC/trail riding.

The only thing that gets me is that I went out and paid full price for this years, usually I wait for the last years model and pay about 1/2, maybe your smarter than me and can hold out till next Jan.

wayne
    I know, I guess that's why I'm kinda scared of test riding a SJ for fear I'll have to have one. I rode an epic about 2 months ago and, although it was a great bike, it was a little to hardtailish for me. I know, that's the point of the damn thing.

Maybe I'm just looking for a change. Anyone try those Crossmax Enduro wheels? Like debaser said, maybe a wheelset will do it for me.

I'm definitely no racerboy at 5'8", 201 but I think I'll have to try one to decide. I'm only an hour from Pisgah/Dupont so there is definitely some climbing in the area. Guess I'll have to try either a SJ or a Scalpel. There I go again.

Lou.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Gravity Rides Everything
    I don't catch a ton of air on it if that's what you mean, but the trails i ride are rather brutal on equipment. Rough and steep.

I nearly bought an XTR equipped SJ that was on clearance at my LBS. However, my last "cross country" full suspension bike i broke in less than 2 years (sugar). So I'd rather have something I know will last. i honestly don't give a crap about racing, so it's perfect for me.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider

Lou.
    XC, trail, freeride... I'm not crystal clear on what each one means, but I have a pretty good idea. When I hear XC nowadays I assume racer. I don't race my '04 S-Works Enduro. However, I do just trail ride it with the occasional drop. I'm not really a freerider, if that's the distinction you're trying to draw. The Demo 9 is a freeride bike. The Enduro is fine for lite freeriding, but it's really a perfect all mountain bike that's fun as hell to ride.

Rally on, dude. The Enduro has great all mountain / trail specs. It's perfect to ride all day and take a thrashing.