2021 Specialized Epic Evo Rear Shock Swap- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2021 Specialized Epic Evo Rear Shock Swap

I know I am not the only one who wants to try different rear shocks on my new epic evo. The stock shock is 190x40 and provides 110mm of travel (claimed). Has anyone experimented with different shocks? If so, post about it with the pros/cons.

So far I have done a test fit of a cane creek dbair il with a 45mm stroke (190x45) and under full compression I did not have any tire clearance or linkage issues. I have not had a chance to ride it because I need new hardware for the front eyelet. I am waiting on a 42.5mm stroke shock to try out as I am looking for slightly more travel than stock but don't want to push it.

I am also trying out a 130mm pike ultimate versus the 120mm sid ultimate. I am not going to be pushing this bike to its limits. I have a stumpjumper lt as a play bike. This is more of an experiment than anything else.

Some simple calculations (which may not be 100% accurate) provide the following travel for different stroke shocks.

37.5mm stroke = 103mm travel
    40mm stroke = 110mm travel
    42.5mm stroke = 117mm travel
    45mm stroke = 124mm travel

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Great question... and I can’t wait for your response to riding the 190x45.

Im moving from a Yeti SB130 to one of these “Down Country” bikes. I’m waiting on PinkBike’s upcoming shootout for more info, but I’m currently narrowed in on the Epic Evo and Transition Spur.

The Spur is a 120/120, but I want to go with the Evo... the only thing holding me back is the 110 rear shock.

I was able to test ride an Epic Evo (Expert), but it wasn’t on a trail... it was at a construction site behind a LBS (some rutted loose over hard, some dirt piles and mounds 5-25 feet high).

Bike felt good, but I was using the entire rear travel to aggressively negotiate the construction site (my local trails have much more to offer). I also felt pedal bob with each seated stroke on pavement.

However, the bike wasn’t necessarily setup for me. The LBS had bikes out front under a tent, and they just handed it over to me. I’m thinking the shock pressure was too low for me.

If we can get the rear to 115-120, I think I would sold.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Clever... View Post
    I know I am not the only one who wants to try different rear shocks on my new epic evo. The stock shock is 190x40 and provides 110mm of travel (claimed). Has anyone experimented with different shocks? If so, post about it with the pros/cons.

So far I have done a test fit of a cane creek dbair il with a 45mm stroke (190x45) and under full compression I did not have any tire clearance or linkage issues. I have not had a chance to ride it because I need new hardware for the front eyelet. I am waiting on a 42.5mm stroke shock to try out as I am looking for slightly more travel than stock but don't want to push it.

I am also trying out a 130mm pike ultimate versus the 120mm sid ultimate. I am not going to be pushing this bike to its limits. I have a stumpjumper lt as a play bike. This is more of an experiment than anything else.

Some simple calculations (which may not be 100% accurate) provide the following travel for different stroke shocks.

37.5mm stroke = 103mm travel
    40mm stroke = 110mm travel
    42.5mm stroke = 117mm travel
    45mm stroke = 124mm travel

Any update on your findings? I want to put a DPX2 190 x 45 on my epic evo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have a Fox Factory DPS Fukushima 42.5 from a Stumpy ST Expert that I will try in the future, but I am very happy with the stock SID (Evo expert). I have run the Fox on a Stumpy, and frankly I think it will be inferior to the SID.

You need to get the setup on the SID in your sweet spot. Pressure and rebound before sag IMO. I have almost zero bob on mine, yet it's not harsh at all. It rides nice & high too.

Oh, and to adjust rebound, you have the allen key/unbraco in the fork lower.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    iam interested in this as well being a little heavier but want a short travel bike, i contacted rockshox about their super delux rct like curtis keen has on his epic evo but the size they sell is 190x45 and they did him a favor by lowering his. I would have to find away to reduce it or hope they sell that size in the future.