2021 Epic EVO?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 90 of 90

Thread: 2021 Epic EVO?

  1. #1
    Leg Shaver
    Reputation: Ike Turner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    563

    2021 Epic EVO?

    Any insight? Leaks? Date?

    Brain? please noooooo
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner View Post
    Any insight? Leaks? Date?

    Brain? please noooooo
    There will not be a brain on the 2021 Evo...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJRM View Post
    There will not be a brain on the 2021 Evo...
    There are reports coming out of LBS manager seeming to confirm that the 2021 Epic Evo will be Brainless and 120 front and rear. They believe that the Stumpy ST will be no longer available as the Epic will fill that niche. I wonder what the length and stroke on the shock will be because I don't believe there are many options for the current model Epic.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    There are reports coming out of LBS manager seeming to confirm that the 2021 Epic Evo will be Brainless and 120 front and rear. They believe that the Stumpy ST will be no longer available as the Epic will fill that niche. I wonder what the length and stroke on the shock will be because I don't believe there are many options for the current model Epic.
    Itís a new model so it doesnít matter what the current one is. Itís designed around a 120
    for the EVO.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    Itís a new model so it doesnít matter what the current one is. Itís designed around a 120
    for the EVO.
    My point is the current shock length/stroke is an oddball size so you don't find many aftermarket or high performance replacement/upgrade shocks. I hope they don't do that again, but I believe it may be part of having two water bottle cages in the front triangle. Also, there is no such thing as 120 shock ...the 120mm refers to the wheel travel not the shock length or stroke, so saying it is design around a 120 is sort of confusing.

  6. #6
    Leg Shaver
    Reputation: Ike Turner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    563
    Hoping for a frame only option. this trend toward complete bikes is frustrating. It's like mfgs assume we will ride and invest in only one bike.

    The other question that comes to mind is sizing. XXL? Will they move to the Enduro type sizing?
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    497
    same, would love a frame only and hoping it's a sidluxe rear....
    ...I do find that Spesh and couple other manufacturers offer some attractive price points for completes and I use the lower level parts on my son's MTB's.....
    we'll see....I'm hoping we get info soon...gave my oldest my 2020 fuse and need a XC daily driver

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EPICYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    410
    No Brain on the EVO.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    SE Racing PK Ripper Loop Tail

  9. #9
    17j
    17j is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    371
    subscribe
    Last edited by 17j; 05-22-2020 at 06:41 PM. Reason: duplicate

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscottyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by 17j View Post
    66.5 ht
    Any other geo numbers? CS?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    63
    Hurry up Specialized and release it.

    Dealer have details and many of them have ridden/seen them at press camps.

    Let the masses know what we are getting....

    Most of us are asking dealers to break confidentiality agreements on the details..

  12. #12
    Leg Shaver
    Reputation: Ike Turner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    563
    this cant be said enough....Frame only option please because the majority of riders interested in this bike have other bikes and parts. please stop Bike industry expecting us to buy a complete bike every time we add or replace quiver.
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    50
    Has anyone heard from their dealership when this is going to be out? I heard possibly June 4th but that has gone past. Hopefully soon!

  14. #14
    Leg Shaver
    Reputation: Ike Turner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    563
    My shop said that it is delayed because of how busy the industry is with maintenance and trying to get their hands on mid range bikes they did not order last year for the sudden demand.

    but that is it very mum on details. tight lips for sure.
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    7

  16. #16
    Leg Shaver
    Reputation: Ike Turner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
    Thanks

    Is this from Europe, Asia or Down Under pages? Or USA?

    XL seems small and how is it they leave out TT length?
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL 9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,805
    My local shop got three in yesterday S-Works in gloss carbon and a couple new Evo's didn't stick around long enough to see them out of the box.

    They should be trickling into shops shortly.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscottyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    126
    I got a call from my shop yesterday that my EVO Expert would be ready very soon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner View Post
    Thanks

    Is this from Europe, Asia or Down Under pages? Or USA?

    XL seems small and how is it they leave out TT length?
    Hi the TT length is not important an more with the seatpost and headtube angles changing so much.
    The reach and stack a far more important and they relate to distances from the bottom bracket position.
    The XL is very long so you should be happy.
    Specialized are cutting back on XXL sized bikes for the last few years.
    With the reach getting so long and longer Dropper Posts becoming so long it has not been a problem.
    I have a problem with most modern mountain bikes getting a steeper seatpost angle, I can't find a bike to fit me anymore!
    I ride a medium or large depending on Reach but need a 70į seat post angle to fit a bike, so custom is the only way for me.
    Happy riding

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    Alive so go for a ride

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    [QUOTE=jscottyk;14825553]I got a call from my shop yesterday that my EVO Expert would be ready very soon. /QUOTE]

    I also have an Evo Expert on order, but it's Aug. 9 and still no word on a possible arrival date.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PurpleMtnSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,176
    I saw one on the trails the other day. Looked mint. Guy said it was 22lbs, but it looked pretty burly for an xc bike.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    247
    I got my size XL 2021 Expert mid-July here in Norway. Apparently one of the first. Had planned on the comp, but was told it would not be available until November.



    I'm really happy I decided to go for the Expert for once. Have previously owned comp carbons (Epic, Camber, Stumpjumper), and this always led to upgrading wheels, mech, brakes and so on, so that the bike would be just as expensive anyway.

    Have done about 400k on it thus far, everything from epic gravel climbs, 6-hour mountain adventures, park, enduro trails, tech singletrack, asphalt, wet, mud, dry...both in full lycra or baggies & armor

    The bike I've been most happy with over the years was my '16 Camper Comp Carbon, with the usual upgrades. I kept coming back to it, even after the prev gen Epic Evo and Stumpy ST. No more.

    This bike ticks all the boxes for me. It's so versatile, it climbs just as well as the prev gen, if not better, it's more comfortable and sure footed, and a lot faster on the downs. Yet it doesn't feel like a big bike. It dances nicely at speed, and is so predictable and easy to pick lines with.

    The front is as slack as my enduro bike, and I was surprised to find that this just works everywhere, even on the ups. It feels more balanced than the '19 Stumpy - no need to push the front down for traction. No need to flip the chip for me yet, something I did for everything bar full enduro or park days on the '19 Stumpy.

    The new SID fork & shock are IMO a major improvement for RockShox. Plush, yet active in a muted new-car way. Super stiff fork, and they ramp up great. I was surprised how much effort it took to use full travel, yet it wasn't harsh. They also lock out nicely. I did add more rebound damping at the rear than suggested, but that's a personal preference.

    The G2 brakes had way too much free movement on the levers IMO, but I cured that by pumping out the pistons using a shim slightly narrower than my rotors. Plenty powerful even with the 180/160 rotors and stock pads.

    The Roval wheels seems to be a good evolution - they're stiff, but not so much that they are uncomfortable.

    I have (of course) been tooling with the idea of what it would be like to run it with a 130 or even 140 fork, and some tractor tires. I'll try my best to not do that, but it is tempting to try just for kicks. The frame seems solid enough...

    I'm about 6.3'', sit at about 81cm, and this bike fits perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Epic EVO?-b82d274c-7865-48ad-9cc3-bd8a3a69a9ba.jpg  


  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thiago7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    128
    Does anyone know the weight of a EVO comp carbon size medium?

    Thanks in advance.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    270

    2021 Epic EVO?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thiago7 View Post
    Does anyone know the weight of a EVO comp carbon size medium?

    Thanks in advance.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    According to 2 google results I found about a week ago, itís 11.8 kg or there about. My local shop said right on 12 kg but that included the bottle cage & tool. I didnít see them weigh it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thiago7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by dischucker View Post
    According to 2 google results I found about a week ago, itís 11.8 kg or there about. My local shop said right on 12 kg but that included the bottle cage & tool. I didnít see them weigh it.
    Thank you.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by dischucker View Post
    According to 2 google results I found about a week ago, itís 11.8 kg or there about. My local shop said right on 12 kg but that included the bottle cage & tool. I didnít see them weigh it.
    I missed the post in the "2021 Epic Evo Photo thread" that said 27.1 lbs for M with the plastic pedals it comes with (so subtract a bit from that) - https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/...l#post14920995

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    270
    A question for current owners... how do you find the STA and reach?

    The 2 things that make me hesitate to get this bike is the fact that STA is a bit on the slack side (75į stated) and that the reach is a bit short (for M). I'm currently on a 2018 Fuel EX 9.7 and the Evo has (about) the same STA (but looks slacker in photos, probably due to shorter stack height, where effective STA is measured). I really would like a steeper STA as I find my current bike pushes my weight too far over the back tyre on steep technical sections. And ditto on reach - I'm on 443mm reach and going down to 436mm kinda sucks. I'd really like something closer to 450mm. But maybe as a package, the number will be fine - my local shop will let me ride on footpath but not on trails, so will wait and see.

  28. #28
    17j
    17j is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    371
    I too am curious about numbers...angles, etc. Coming from a last gen epic evo 2018, I have it fit and riding well. It has a 68.5 HT (shortish wheelbase) and not sure if new evo set at 67deg HT will be a let down from quick handling and climbing in the North East trails to front tire wash out in corners....Experience new Evo Welcome. Thanks

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by 17j View Post
    I too am curious about numbers...angles, etc. Coming from a last gen epic evo 2018, I have it fit and riding well. It has a 68.5 HT (shortish wheelbase) and not sure if new evo set at 67deg HT will be a let down from quick handling and climbing in the North East trails to front tire wash out in corners....Experience new Evo Welcome. Thanks
    I've run L '16 and XL '18 (self evo'd) Epics, and now on XL Evo 2021.

    - The '16 was great, but too "racey", and even if I did a few ultra trail races on it just fine, it always was a bit too nervous when I got tired.
    - The '18...was also fine, but I did have issues with wash-out and front wandering on steep climbs. Way too many OTBs
    Converted it to 120 front, dropper, shorter stem, but still some of those issues. Never got 100% comfortable with it, even it was super fast. Then there was the price & downtime because of Brain servicing.

    The 2021 Evo is a totally different bike. It simply knocks everything I've owned (Epics, Stumpjumpers, Cambers, hardtails) out of the ballpark. There's no need to worry about washouts or wandering front - I run mine stock at 66.5 and with the 50mm stem, seat centered on the post. I've cleared long, steep and tech climbs that I would have looped on any previous bike. I'm faster on gravel/dirt climbs than with my '20 Diverge, and I'm not far off my enduro PRs set with a '19 Stumpjumper.

    It's quick, but it doesn't feel as nervous and scary as a steep hard tail or gravel bike - but Strava says it's faster (and that's definitely not my fitness improving).

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by knutspeed View Post
    I got my size XL 2021 Expert
    Nice ride!

    What's the weight of XL?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiago7 View Post
    Does anyone know the weight of a EVO comp carbon size medium?

    Thanks in advance.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    12.2kg with DMR flat pedals, tubeless, 1 bottle cage with tool.

    Changed to XTR trail pedals, added 1 more bottle cage, not sure what's the weight now.

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscottyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    126
    Pinkbike test dropped today.

    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/speciali...orks-2020.html


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    73
    I think this bike is super cool in interesting but I probably should still stick to a trail bike...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by markus_krk View Post
    Nice ride!

    What's the weight of XL?
    Haven't put it on the scales yet, also running Grid tyres, different bars etc. But it's a whopping lot lighter than my Stumpy, feels like half the weight

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    25
    Anyone tried some different tires? What is the actual space i frame?

    2,4 tires on i30mm rims ok?

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    82
    For those that own this bike, regarding the bottle cage for the seat tube under the shock, could i fit a 21oz bottle with or without a side load cage? Thank you!! Mine comes in December (frame only).

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoverbike View Post
    For those that own this bike, regarding the bottle cage for the seat tube under the shock, could i fit a 21oz bottle with or without a side load cage? Thank you!! Mine comes in December (frame only).
    This 26 oz bottle fits in the side mount, vertical bottle cage, but slightly touching the rear shock body. I think only a side mount would work. I fitted my smaller bottle there.

    For the downtube mounted cage, this bottle size is ok, lots of clearance.

    Frame size is medium.

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscottyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoverbike View Post
    For those that own this bike, regarding the bottle cage for the seat tube under the shock, could i fit a 21oz bottle with or without a side load cage? Thank you!! Mine comes in December (frame only).
    This is the Specialized 26oz bottle in a size Large EVO.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36

    Epic Evo Expert

    Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    This is the Specialized 26oz bottle in a size Large EVO.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't care much about water bottles, but would like to know when you ordered this bike - mine's missing in action and was ordered July 2 this year.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NZPeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    I don't care much about water bottles, but would like to know when you ordered this bike - mine's missing in action and was ordered July 2 this year.
    Hi there is a world shortage on bikes and the EVO is a late delivery in most of the world.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Alive so go for a ride

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36

    Epic Evo Expert

    I'm aware of the bike shortage, but I'm anxiously awaiting a matte blue Expert in Medium size. Was your bike already in-stock at the dealer or did you have to order it?

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscottyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    126

    2021 Epic EVO?

    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    I don't care much about water bottles, but would like to know when you ordered this bike - mine's missing in action and was ordered July 2 this year.
    I ordered mine in early June. Got it sometime in late July after a couple delays.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    I ordered mine in early June. Got it sometime in late July after a couple delays.
    Well, mine was ordered July 2 and I have no idea when it will arrive. Maybe the bike companies should consider building their high-end bikes in the US? I'd gladly pay a bit more for US production and I bet I'm not alone in that opinion.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    Well, mine was ordered July 2 and I have no idea when it will arrive. Maybe the bike companies should consider building their high-end bikes in the US? I'd gladly pay a bit more for US production and I bet I'm not alone in that opinion.
    Quantify "a bit more". Put a number on it. Remember, it's not just the frame . . .nearly every component on the bike is made in a low cost country.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36

    US Sourcing

    Quote Originally Posted by red92s View Post
    Quantify "a bit more". Put a number on it. Remember, it's not just the frame . . .nearly every component on the bike is made in a low cost country.
    I'm not suggesting that the low-priced, "volume" bicycles be manufactured in the US, but once you get beyond $4k MSRP or so I think a case could be made for American manufacturing, since these are anything BUT essential transportation devices - they're adult toys. I'd gladly pay another $4-500 for US sourcing on an expensive bike, if I had that choice. To start with, I want the major piece (the carbon fiber frame) to be made here. Trek used to build their high-end frames in the US, but I'm not sure if they still do.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    I'm not suggesting that the low-priced, "volume" bicycles be manufactured in the US, but once you get beyond $4k MSRP or so I think a case could be made for American manufacturing, since these are anything BUT essential transportation devices - they're adult toys. I'd gladly pay another $4-500 for US sourcing on an expensive bike, if I had that choice. To start with, I want the major piece (the carbon fiber frame) to be made here. Trek used to build their high-end frames in the US, but I'm not sure if they still do.
    You can call Alchemy today and buy a 29" carbon short-travel trail bike with a frame that is handmade in the US.

    https://alchemybicycles.com/why/carbon-fiber-bikes/

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscottyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by red92s View Post
    You can call Alchemy today and buy a 29" carbon short-travel trail bike with a frame that is handmade in the US.

    https://alchemybicycles.com/why/carbon-fiber-bikes/
    Add Guerrilla Gravity to that consideration set too.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by red92s View Post
    You can call Alchemy today and buy a 29" carbon short-travel trail bike with a frame that is handmade in the US.
    I'm sure you can find boutique bike builders who do carbon frames, but I'm talking Trek, Specialized, Santa Cruz and the like - you know, where there are actual dealers selling more than 100 bikes/year. Why should the Taiwanese be the masters of carbon bike technology when the markets for these machines are in Europe and the US?

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    Why should the Taiwanese be the masters of carbon bike technology when the markets for these machines are in Europe and the US?
    . . . because that's where the manufacturing competency and expertise exists to build carbon bike frames at the scales you are describing. Trying to recreate that knowledge base and capacity stateside, just so you can charge your customers more, makes little sense. In the day and age of increasing competition from direct-to-consumer brands I don't think Trek and Specialized are going to be interested in making the "what you get for your money" gap even wider.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by red92s View Post
    . . . because that's where the manufacturing competency and expertise exists to build carbon bike frames at the scales you are describing. Trying to recreate that knowledge base and capacity stateside, just so you can charge your customers more, makes little sense. In the day and age of increasing competition from direct-to-consumer brands I don't think Trek and Specialized are going to be interested in making the "what you get for your money" gap even wider.
    The tooling/machinery that currently reside in Taiwan could be moved to the US and some of those employees with build expertise could be moved here as well.
    It isn't about charging your customers more, though that would most likely be the case. There are positives to building bikes in the US: Many customers would appreciate US manufacturing, the supply chain would be shorter and not so subject to disruption and folks buying expensive bikes are not as price sensitive as those buying $150 bikes. The direct-to-consumer business model is an interesting issue, as, if taken to extremes, there would be no dealers left to service bicycles or demo rides available.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    54
    I came very close to pulling the trigger on an Epic Evo... LBS got one in my size and it felt really good...I just wish there was a level in between the Comp and the Expert....

    The Comp (on paper) cuts corners on the wheels, but the next step up is nearly a 50% increase in price...

    It's a tough pill to swallow when you see the SC C-S build specs in that $5k price point right in between the Spec Comp and Expert

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by red92s View Post
    . . . because that's where the manufacturing competency and expertise exists to build carbon bike frames at the scales you are describing. Trying to recreate that knowledge base and capacity stateside, just so you can charge your customers more, makes little sense. In the day and age of increasing competition from direct-to-consumer brands I don't think Trek and Specialized are going to be interested in making the "what you get for your money" gap even wider.
    Not to mention much looser environmental, health and worker regulations outside US. Carbon Fiber parts construction is nasty business. Now if they could lobby like the meat packing industry.... no issues moving it over here then!

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tkblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    I came very close to pulling the trigger on an Epic Evo... LBS got one in my size and it felt really good...I just wish there was a level in between the Comp and the Expert....

    The Comp (on paper) cuts corners on the wheels, but the next step up is nearly a 50% increase in price...

    It's a tough pill to swallow when you see the SC C-S build specs in that $5k price point right in between the Spec Comp and Expert
    I think the comp is a great one to get. Iím not 100% set on one, but I would swap an xtr cassette on with new wheels and call it a day. Maybe new tires as well

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    It's a tough pill to swallow when you see the SC C-S build specs in that $5k price point right in between the Spec Comp and Expert
    I looked hard at the Santa Cruz Blur TR models before buying the Epic Evo Expert - both are great bikes IMO. They also have large price steps
    between models, typically a $2000 step. Example: the S TR lists for $4799 and the next model up, the X01 TR is $6799. When you get into these higher-end versions they all cost plenty. I'm not so sure that taking the Evo Comp then adding light wheels/tires and other lighter bits would really save you much money versus the Evo Expert, if at all.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    54
    ...but again...if I open the budget up to $6k, other contenders enter the discussion too...

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    ...but again...if I open the budget up to $6k, other contenders enter the discussion too...
    Most mountain bike manufacturers have "discovered" the category of lightweight trail bikes, based on their pure racing machines. So of course there are now many good choices in this product segment. That's a great thing for consumers, wouldn't you say?

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    Most mountain bike manufacturers have "discovered" the category of lightweight trail bikes, based on their pure racing machines. So of course there are now many good choices in this product segment. That's a great thing for consumers, wouldn't you say?

    It was easier when there were fewer choices....and with this pandemic it results in over-analyzing minor differences on paper and nit-picky reviews that make you second guess yourself...especially if you haven't gotten to the point where you are a brand loyalist yet

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    It was easier when there were fewer choices....and with this pandemic it results in over-analyzing minor differences on paper and nit-picky reviews that make you second guess yourself...especially if you haven't gotten to the point where you are a brand loyalist yet
    Today's bicycles are, like cars and motorcycles, almost universally good, so there is no need to agonize over your choice. This allows buyers to focus on non-product issues like dealer location/service and subjective items like aesthetics of the frame and colors.

    Here is my choice, though not quite ready to ride just yet (waiting for Gripshift and lighter tires).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Epic EVO?-img_1887.jpg  


  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    54
    Beautiful bike!

    I am just getting back in after decades away...so jumping into the ~5k pricepoint is already a big leap....taking it all the way to $6k is something I'm trying to avoid...or else I would likely already have an Epic Evo Expert on my rack...

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    Beautiful bike!

    I am just getting back in after decades away...so jumping into the ~5k pricepoint is already a big leap....taking it all the way to $6k is something I'm trying to avoid...or else I would likely already have an Epic Evo Expert on my rack...
    As I'm sure you're aware, you don't NEED a $6k bike - you want that level of machine. In my case, I'm coming from a 2002 S-Works aluminum frame with 26" wheels and a 3 x 9 drivetrain, which has served me well, but I got tired of not being able to buy current technologies in tires and other components because my bike was so old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Epic EVO?-img_1888.jpg  


  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    54
    A lot of mental gymnastics led me to the point of setting a target budget...Strong, lightweight components, dependable gear, good geo/feel...while also balancing how much I anticipate riding...as well as wanting something that helps invigorate that feeling making the urge to get out on the bike even stronger....

    It doesn't necessarily take $6k....but...if I pull the trigger on the Evo...whether I go comp and update (either right away or as needed) or spring for the Expert...I'll hit that number in a hurry...

    A skilled rider can easily outride me on a department store boat anchor...I'm self-aware enough to know that I want a machine that is going to work with me to get my oversize backside on the trails

    (....and yes...part of it is a mental block that won't let me get past the Acera/Alivio? hubs on a bike that is approaching $4500 after taxes...I honestly would have rather they just called them generic Specialized parts so the grade was more of an unknown...I know it's likely unjustified and they are proven reliable parts...I just can't shake the hangup...and I respect that that's on me)

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    A skilled rider can easily outride me on a department store boat anchor...I'm self-aware enough to know that I want a machine that is going to work with me to get my oversize backside on the trails

    (....and yes...part of it is a mental block that won't let me get past the Acera/Alivio? hubs on a bike that is approaching $4500 after taxes...I honestly would have rather they just called them generic Specialized parts so the grade was more of an unknown...I know it's likely unjustified and they are proven reliable parts...I just can't shake the hangup...and I respect that that's on me)
    A couple of thoughts...

    First, don't worry about your performance on the trails. I turn 72 this year and many 30-somethings blow by me like I'm tied to a tree.

    Second, I believe you're over-thinking this whole components issue. Perhaps the Evo Comp's wheels/hubs aren't what you'd like, but the rest of the bike is pretty well equipped. Buy the bike, get your fitness level up and purchase lighter wheels later.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    A couple of thoughts...

    First, don't worry about your performance on the trails. I turn 72 this year and many 30-somethings blow by me like I'm tied to a tree.

    Second, I believe you're over-thinking this whole components issue. Perhaps the Evo Comp's wheels/hubs aren't what you'd like, but the rest of the bike is pretty well equipped. Buy the bike, get your fitness level up and purchase lighter wheels later.
    I'm quite certain that I'm over-thinking things...I'd blame being locked at home due to the pandemic if it wasn't part of my general makeup....

    (I'm an engineer, working in sales that grew up very blue color, so I naturally look for level of equipment and favorable value-to-cost ratio while not breaking the bank ...I drive myself nuts for no reason... )

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    I'm quite certain that I'm over-thinking things...I'd blame being locked at home due to the pandemic if it wasn't part of my general makeup....

    (I'm an engineer, working in sales that grew up very blue color, so I naturally look for level of equipment and favorable value-to-cost ratio while not breaking the bank ...I drive myself nuts for no reason... )
    The pandemic? I respect that it exists, but I won't be a slave to it. I keep myself in good shape, eat reasonably and am not around large crowds anymore (retired), so I'm really not concerned about it.

    I'm also an engineer (automotive), but worked in marketing later in my career. I did a lot of paper comparisons before deciding on the Evo. Now I'll just make that decision work for me.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    The pandemic? I respect that it exists, but I won't be a slave to it. I keep myself in good shape, eat reasonably and am not around large crowds anymore (retired), so I'm really not concerned about it.

    I'm also an engineer (automotive), but worked in marketing later in my career. I did a lot of paper comparisons before deciding on the Evo. Now I'll just make that decision work for me.
    I feel much the same...but here in the great state of Michigan, there are some limitations on where we can go and how we can operate...along with customer constraints on who they will allow into their facilities and when...

    I'll pull the trigger on something sooner or later...thankfully I still have my Kona Dew Plus for gravel/path riding while I decide

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    I'll pull the trigger on something sooner or later...thankfully I still have my Kona Dew Plus for gravel/path riding while I decide
    I'm in Queen Whitmer's Michigan as well. Enough said.

    When I visited my local Specialized dealer yesterday I noticed they had gotten in several Epic Evos this week, mostly the Comp model, so you could actually see/touch one and maybe even get a demo ride on one.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    54
    I took one out for a test ride around the parking lot in RH...it felt 'almost right'...and actually had a deposit on one and was ready to pick it up on Friday until I started waffling on the decision...

    I made the mistake of throwing a leg over an SC Blur that had a little bit better cockpit feel for me...so I started thinking options, mental comparisons, blah blah blah...

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    I took one out for a test ride around the parking lot in RH...it felt 'almost right'...and actually had a deposit on one and was ready to pick it up on Friday until I started waffling on the decision...

    I made the mistake of throwing a leg over an SC Blur that had a little bit better cockpit feel for me...so I started thinking options, mental comparisons, blah blah blah...
    I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice, so make your decision based on which dealer you like best, bike color and, yes, which one feels better to you.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36

    Epic Evo Expert

    Finally got to ride the bike - I'm impressed! My Expert with only the S-Works carbon handlebar and 2.3/2.1 Fastrack tires running tubeless weighs all of 23.4 pounds, WITH eggbeater pedals!

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    247
    I was initially going for the comp (like always before), well knowing that I'd spend a fortune upgrading. Then got the message from my LBS that comps would only be available late November, but they had a couple XL experts in stock. So I dived in, and got the Expert.

    Did lots of riding, and was super happy. The first bike I've owned where I didn't find something to upgrade right away.

    Then I fitted the Traverse Fattie SL wheels off my previous Stumpjumper, mostly to try some burlier rubber (Ground Control grid rear, new purgatory grid front).

    As annoying as it is - I can feel a pretty significant difference. Even with the heavy tires, it seems to accelerate faster, engagement is quicker as well. Might be in my head...weighed the complete rear wheels, and they was only a +/- 15g difference on my crappy suitcase scales (Fast Trak grid on the rear stock wheel, though).

    If I hadn't tried, I'd be perfectly happy with it I've decided to run the stock wheels with S-works Renegades for light duty riding, will see how that makes it feel.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by knutspeed View Post
    Did lots of riding, and was super happy. The first bike I've owned where I didn't find something to upgrade right away.
    I agree, even though I did spend another $150 for the lighter handlebar and tires.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    I agree, even though I did spend another $150 for the lighter handlebar and tires.
    Well, I finally took the second ride on my new Evo Expert, on one of my favorite trails in this area. So far I love it! A size Medium fits me well, the bike is a proficient climber and those 29" wheels seem to roll over obstacles better than my previous 26" wheel bike. I thought long and hard before laying out the cash for this machine, but it appears that it was well worth it.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    This is the Specialized 26oz bottle in a size Large EVO.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you!!!

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    144
    Has anyone tinkered with their dropper yet?
    I find it extremely stiff and hard to drop. I checked another Evo and it was the same. Compared to my Bikeyoke or Oneup droppers the XFusion require a lot of force and seems to have a lot of friction.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tkblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,487
    Hard to beat how smooth a bikeyoke dropper is. I had a revive and now have a pnw Rainer v3 and itís no where near as smooth in actuation

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    Finally got to ride the bike - I'm impressed! My Expert with only the S-Works carbon handlebar and 2.3/2.1 Fastrack tires running tubeless weighs all of 23.4 pounds, WITH eggbeater pedals!
    What was the stock weight and frame size?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Size Medium, which was supposed to weigh just over 25 lbs from the factory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Epic EVO?-img_1890-2-.jpg  


  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    Size Medium, which was supposed to weigh just over 25 lbs from the factory.
    Thanks!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by knutspeed View Post
    engagement is quicker as well.
    On DT Swiss 350 Hubs, which I assume came stock on your 2021 Epic Evo Expert, you can easily increase the engagement quickness by getting the 36t or 54t star ratchet kit for just over $100. I'm wondering if the stock weeks have the stock 18t ratchet, which if so would kind of suck, but luckily, the upgrade is fairly affordable. I'm thinking of buying this same bike or the Pro model (which comes with the same wheels as the Expert, just XTR and Fox suspension), so it sounds like perhaps I'll need to plan on the ratchet upgrade.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ70 View Post
    I'll need to plan on the ratchet upgrade.
    Yes, the Expert model has the DT 350 wheel hubs, but I think it also uses a 54 star ratchet, or at least my ears say it's a higher frequency than my old bike.
    One of the things I'm noticing (on my third ride) is how well this this bike coasts. I don't know if it's the 29" wheels or the tires (S-Works Fast Tracks), but it seems to coast forever.

  81. #81
    MTB'er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    Yes, the Expert model has the DT 350 wheel hubs, but I think it also uses a 54 star ratchet, or at least my ears say it's a higher frequency than my old bike.
    According to the Specialized website, its a 36t ratchet... https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...ext=30118-2509
    "I will not relent"

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    OK, if that's what the website says, then that's what it has. Not an issue for me, but I'm not racing.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by tr1cky_k1d View Post
    Has anyone tinkered with their dropper yet?
    I find it extremely stiff and hard to drop. I checked another Evo and it was the same. Compared to my Bikeyoke or Oneup droppers the XFusion require a lot of force and seems to have a lot of friction.
    Sound like duds, or too tightly clamped, or...the XFusions I've had on my previous Stumpy and my current Evo are very smooth and light action. I've got a BikeYoke Divine on my other trail bike, and it feels very much like the xFusion. Can't really feel any quality difference, at least when new. The Xfusion is quiet, the Bikeyoke makes a slight wheeze.

    The Xfusion was totally reliable on my Stumpy for the 2 years I had it, a bit sluggish when around freezing temps, and ate one cable, but no other issues.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ70 View Post
    On DT Swiss 350 Hubs, which I assume came stock on your 2021 Epic Evo Expert, you can easily increase the engagement quickness by getting the 36t or 54t star ratchet kit for just over $100. I'm wondering if the stock weeks have the stock 18t ratchet, which if so would kind of suck, but luckily, the upgrade is fairly affordable. I'm thinking of buying this same bike or the Pro model (which comes with the same wheels as the Expert, just XTR and Fox suspension), so it sounds like perhaps I'll need to plan on the ratchet upgrade.
    I'm not sure which ratchet is in there, but it's good. Seems to be the exact same as on my 2018 Roval Control Carbons. Makes a lovely buzz. They're not bad at all, it's just that the Fattie SLs are even better

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,060
    Quote Originally Posted by tr1cky_k1d View Post
    Has anyone tinkered with their dropper yet?
    I find it extremely stiff and hard to drop. I checked another Evo and it was the same. Compared to my Bikeyoke or Oneup droppers the XFusion require a lot of force and seems to have a lot of friction.
    Interesting, I find the XFusion droppers on my Enduro/SJ Evo to have the lightest action on the market. It is actually lighter than the BikeYoke (it is really good as well) I have mounted on another bike and my PNW Bachelor as well.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    5

    Dropper and Hubs

    I put the 54T rachet Control SL (DT Swiss 240) on my Epic Evo Comp and the difference is amazing.

    I also agree that the X Fusion Manic is not the most compliant, seems to get "stuck" briefly in the high position until you give it a good push. Works fine other than that.

    Out of all my dropper post the one that works best is a $99 Brand-X ascend...go figure.. works better than $400 dropper post I have had.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB4lifeCA View Post

    Out of all my dropper post the one that works best is a $99 Brand-X ascend...go figure.. works better than $400 dropper post I have had.
    Brand-X are great! I ran a 150mm for about two years (all year riding, snow etc), and it's now on the Mrs bike. Still works perfectly fine.

    A mate has completely worn off the black coating on his post, so he needs to spray lube on it after each wash - but it still works great

    If they hadn't been out of stock last time I needed a post, I would have gotten one. Could just buy 4 for the price of any other big-brand post and be set for 6-7 seasons without service...

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by knutspeed View Post
    Brand-X are great! I ran a 150mm for about two years (all year riding, snow etc), and it's now on the Mrs bike. Still works perfectly fine.

    A mate has completely worn off the black coating on his post, so he needs to spray lube on it after each wash - but it still works great

    If they hadn't been out of stock last time I needed a post, I would have gotten one. Could just buy 4 for the price of any other big-brand post and be set for 6-7 seasons without service...
    Agree, $99 free shipping, no tax Black Friday deal... how do you beat that? Doesnít even really come with a weight penalty over many $400 droppers. The included lever I got last year is great too.

    I am loving my Epic Evo Comp... although now itís somewhere between Expert - Pro and even S works LoL

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB4lifeCA View Post
    I put the 54T rachet Control SL (DT Swiss 240) on my Epic Evo Comp and the difference is amazing.
    My Expert model has the DT350 hubs, but how would you define the difference you observed with the 54T rachet?

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsedition View Post
    My Expert model has the DT350 hubs, but how would you define the difference you observed with the 54T rachet?
    Quicker engagement for acceleration or technical climbing.

    the normal Control Carbon with 350 hubs are a good wheelset so it's on the margins.

    The Control SL being lighter weight is probably as much a factor as 54T engagement

Similar Threads

  1. Epic FS 2021 on-way?
    By plupp in forum Specialized
    Replies: 787
    Last Post: 3 Days Ago, 02:13 PM
  2. CompaŮero para el Cape Epic 2021
    By moab63 in forum Mexico
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2020, 01:01 PM
  3. 2021 Bikes
    By schlockinz in forum Canfield
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-29-2019, 04:17 PM
  4. New coil shock from FOX - 2020/2021 leaked images
    By dmcd38 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2019, 02:41 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 12:12 AM

Members who have read this thread: 426

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.