2020 Enduro Thread Try 2 - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I'm 6'1" (185 cm) and I parking lot rode an S4 and ordered an S4. Specialized's own sizing chart recommends the S3 up to someone who is 5'11".

Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    I don't have a ton of time to read through all of this sizing stuff, but what I've skimmed has left me quite confused on the sizing.

I'm 6'0-6'1. I ride a size L Sentinel now with a short stem and the bike fits wonderfully for most everything for me.

I've seen people at my height going to the S3 then guys like Curtis Keene who's almost my same size is running the S5. Then guys taller than me are saying the S4 was too big for them too. So what have people ended up on at this height?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DKOC View Post
    I'm 6'1" (185 cm) and I parking lot rode an S4 and ordered an S4. Specialized's own sizing chart recommends the S3 up to someone who is 5'11".

Post a link to that because I havenít seen it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-screen-shot-2019-10-22-6.20.01-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Where was that posted?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Sorry I couldn't provide link, if you go to the Enduro portion of the website and click on a model you will see in red lettering right below the size you are choosing the words size chart.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Where was that posted?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hello, iím ordering a 205x65 Cane Creek Coil shock. I figure i can add a 2.5mm spacer under the bumper to make it a 205x62.5 or a 5mm to make it 205x60 which is of course the stock shock size.

This shock contains a 10mm bottom out bumper that requires A Lot of force to compress 5mm. Also when you try to put the bumper on a vice and try to squeeze the crap out of it, the maximum you can squeeze it is mabe 7-7.5mm. So since its basically impossible to achieve full shock stroke, is it a good idea to run the shock at 205x62.5 or 205x65???

My concern with running a 205x60 shock is its impossible to use all the stroke so in effect its like running a 205x55 shock and i would lose about 10-12mm of rear wheel travel.

Is my thinking off here??

Anyways, the reason for swapping out the excellent X2 shock for the DB Coil is for even more plushness and the excellent and easy to find/grab climb switch. I really hate the hard to grab switch on the X2. Itís really annoying to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm also installing a CCDB on my enduro. I went with the stock 205x60. To my understanding the 205 x 60, 62.5, and 65 are all the same shock stroke of 65 but different retaining clips are used to limit the shock stroke.

MRP offers a spacer kit for coil shocks.

Edit:
    After taking a closer look at my shock, There is a 10mm removable spacer that sits into the retaining clip and looks to only limit the spring by 5mm. So, you could very easily swap between 170 and 184mm simply by removing the spacer.

I agree with you, that bottom out bumper is rock hard, but I've run this shock before and never thought it was a problem. But also having run an 11/6 that uses a softer bumper, it does having me thinking now as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoi525 View Post
    After taking a closer look at my shock, There is a 10mm removable spacer that sits into the retaining clip and looks to only limit the spring by 5mm. So, you could very easily swap between 170 and 184mm simply by removing the spacer.
    Supposedly the shock i have ordered 205x65 is missing that 10mm spacer.
    With it removed and a very hard bottom out, the shock stroke would extend 5mm into the bottom out bumper to 205x60. Absolute worse case scenario it would extend to 62.5 which extends the rear wheel travel to 176mm (leverage ratio is 2.4 at 170mm so 2.4x2.5 = 6mm)

I have a 180mm coil fork on my Enduro so i figure a 170-176mm coil rear end would be super sweet to try out

Hey, how does your Enduro ride with this shock? How does it climb? What spring rate and what is your rider weight? I wonít have mine until next week. Iím expecting with it open to bob like crazy but is the switch a lot easier to access?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I wish I could tell you, I'm recovering from a broken collarbone, it'll be about a month before I can finish this project up.

I have all the parts and the build is going to be starting with the red Expert and stripping just about everything off. Going with Fox 36 w/ push coil, CCDB , Onyx hubs laced to 3zero motos and axs drivetrain.

I'm 5 10, 140lbs, went with an S3 and 400lb spring.

mtbr member
    140lbs.. Jesus. Iím your height and 183 starting to feel like a fat ass.

mtbr member
    2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-enduro.jpg
    First ride , so impressed , so fast

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Svobodarider View Post
    You will be good, I believe I am 6'3", tested the S5 and did not like the fit very much. While I felt really comfortable on XL Sentinel or XL Firebird 29, the extra reach and wheelbase on Enduro make it a different beast in all aspects. In straight-line and fast corners, this thing was a blast. However, the 1300+ wheelbase was a real pain in really slow and super-tight sections - I tried one 90-degree corner between the tight rocks like 25 times and did not clear it once. Also in the very steep loose stuff, when you need to be on the brakes top to bottom, the front wheel was too far ahead for my tiny balls to weight it properly and avoid washing it. Longer stem could help there, but even on the 40mm one, that was on the bike, I felt some back pain when I was doing longer steep-ish climbs, so that would killed me completely on the ups.
    Hopefully, I will test the S4 this weekend. I believe it will be overall better if you do not want the bike just for shuttling.
    So I have tested the S4 for a day recently. Night and day compared to S5 for me personally. If I wanted a bike for super-fast descents covered mostly with shuttles, then I would probably go with S5. But that basically defines a terrain for a downhill bike, so I would not bother with Enduro for its price and buy a dedicated DH machine for less money.
    For anyone of my height, who wanna ride also slow and tight stuff at least from once in a while, I would definitely recommend S4 - which is also inline with the feedback I got from Killian Callaghan, who is the same height as me and ride S4 for EWS). S5 is simply too long on a wheelbase. 1275 vs 1305 wheelbase makes a massive difference for handling I must say. The other thing is the seat tube angle, which might be steep on a paper, but the reality is different. I did not like the bike on the ups in any of those sizes, but weighting the front wheel on S5 to compensate the seating position far over the back wheel was killing my back. I did not feel that on S4, as I was not that stretched towards the bars.
    Other than that, S4 is still super stable while being pretty agile for such a big bike. Definitely better all-rounder. Anyway, any steeper or longer self-powered climbing was a pain for me. I am really not sure, what was the cause, but think it was the slack actual seat angle + the overall weight (the suspension itself is surprisingly efficient under pedaling even when the climb switch is left fully opened). 3500 metres of climbing and my legs were wasted next day. So while the bike totally rips on the descents, I simply cannot imagine doing a 4000 to 5000 self-powered vertical feet during an enduro race and still stay fresh and sharp enough for the stages. Add the Saturday training before the race day...

To make the long story short, I have already left the idea of buying new Enduro and ordered a Megatower, which is simply a great descender too while climbing well enough for those longer enduro races.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for the ride review. When you did your extended climb did you use the lockout or just run it wide open? Also which model did you ride?

So I have tested the S4 for a day recently. Night and day compared to S5 for me personally. If I wanted a bike for super-fast descents covered mostly with shuttles, then I would probably go with S5. But that basically defines a terrain for a downhill bike, so I would not bother with Enduro for its price and buy a dedicated DH machine for less money.
    For anyone of my height, who wanna ride also slow and tight stuff at least from once in a while, I would definitely recommend S4 - which is also inline with the feedback I got from Killian Callaghan, who is the same height as me and ride S4 for EWS). S5 is simply too long on a wheelbase. 1275 vs 1305 wheelbase makes a massive difference for handling I must say. The other thing is the seat tube angle, which might be steep on a paper, but the reality is different. I did not like the bike on the ups in any of those sizes, but weighting the front wheel on S5 to compensate the seating position far over the back wheel was killing my back. I did not feel that on S4, as I was not that stretched towards the bars.
    Other than that, S4 is still super stable while being pretty agile for such a big bike. Definitely better all-rounder. Anyway, any steeper or longer self-powered climbing was a pain for me. I am really not sure, what was the cause, but think it was the slack actual seat angle + the overall weight (the suspension itself is surprisingly efficient under pedaling even when the climb switch is left fully opened). 3500 metres of climbing and my legs were wasted next day. So while the bike totally rips on the descents, I simply cannot imagine doing a 4000 to 5000 self-powered vertical feet during an enduro race and still stay fresh and sharp enough for the stages. Add the Saturday training before the race day...

To make the long story short, I have already left the idea of buying new Enduro and ordered a Megatower, which is simply a great descender too while climbing well enough for those longer enduro races.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DKOC View Post
    Thanks for the ride review. When you did your extended climb did you use the lockout or just run it wide open? Also which model did you ride?
    I tried both, open and closed mode, throughout the test days (I did like 100 km/7000 feet on S5 and 30 km/3500 feet on S4 in total). And I do not think I felt any difference to be honest. There really is basically no pedal bob when left open. Bot sizes were the Expert model, which is pretty heavy in stock setup (15.8 kg with Stamp pedals for S5). If I put CushCore to the back and switched to beefier tires, it would be way over 16 kg.
    Did not have a chance to ride S-Works model. That one might feel a bit better. Still, slack actual seat tube angle is the biggest drawback for tall riders in my eyes, and that would be the same even on S-Works.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Has anyone experimented with a longer shock on this bike? 205x65 is what I am looking at to get 180mm rear travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post
    Has anyone experimented with a longer shock on this bike? 205x65 is what I am looking at to get 180mm rear travel.
    End stroke leverage ratio is 2.475. Adding 5mm of stroke should net 12.375mm of travel. Assuming you are using a Fox shock, I believe they also make 2.5mm spacer which would net 6.19mm of travel. There appears to be adequate clearance, depending on tire size, but....this bike gets pretty deep in its travel early with a 3.3 beginning stroke leverage ratio. I'd say tread lightly here...mine is already a pedal strike pro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    End stroke leverage ratio is 2.475. Adding 5mm of stroke should net 12.375mm of travel. Assuming you are using a Fox shock, I believe they also make 2.5mm spacer which would net 6.19mm of travel. There appears to be adequate clearance, depending on tire size, but....this bike gets pretty deep in its travel early with a 3.3 beginning stroke leverage ratio. I'd say tread lightly here...mine is already a pedal strike pro.
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll be using a Ohlins TTX. What do you recommend to check the clearance? I'm using the standard 2.6 Butcher that comes with the bike. Having the extra travel is actually appealing so wouldn't mind giving it a go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

2020 Enduro Thread Try 2

The bike is now full Coil.
    180mm Lyric with Vorsprung Smashpot (35lb spring)
    and CC DBcoil CS (400lb spring)
    I'm about 150lbs naked or 160 geared up.

I struggled accessing the climb switch on the X2 since it's a bit closer to and further below the water bottle cage. With the DBcoil, it's further away plus the switch is easier to grab/feel. The weight penalty isn't too bad...
    Total weight of the bike with XTR Race pedals, DHRII/Assegai tires (EXO casing) is 32.8lbs. Add about 1.1-1.2lbs to that for CO2, tubes, tools, patches, plugs, knife, etc...

The Shock is a 205x65 shock. I inserted a 2mm thick plastic washer under the bumper so the effective stroke is 63mm. However, I believe the 10mm Bottom out Bumper which is really hard rubber will never compress more than 7-8mm so my coil shock's actual stroke is 60-61mm which is where I want it to be. I've had coil shocks in the past where the bumper prevented full travel despite hard bottom outs so a bit more shock stroke is best in my opinion.

2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-img_4166.jpg2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-img_4167.jpg2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-img_4168.jpg2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-img_4169.jpg
    Last edited by bmwzimmer; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    How is sag with the 400lb spring? Did you go up or down from your usual spring rate? I'm 20lbs less than you and went with a 400lb spring as well for ccdb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I think iím at around 19mm or so. Kind of hard to measure.
    I was only able ti do a quick pedal uphill seated and theres barely any pedal bob despite LSC at almost all open. This bikeís antisquat numbers are probably really good.

mtbr member
    deleted
    Last edited by Rom3n; 5 Days Ago at 07:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    If anyone is looking for a S3 s-works frame hit me up i have one for sale.
    dibs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    If anyone is looking for a S3 s-works frame hit me up i have one for sale.
    You mentioned previously in this thread that the S3 fit you well; are you rethinking that or perhaps moving to a different bike entirely?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    You mentioned previously in this thread that the S3 fit you well; are you rethinking that or perhaps moving to a different bike entirely?
    Liked minds would like to know! Spill the beans @Rom3n

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does anyone know of any shops with frames in stock currently?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by *MoonDogg* View Post
    Does anyone know of any shops with frames in stock currently?
    My shop was able to locate an S3 at some other shop last Monday. I had already moved on something else, so it's still out there. Specialized dealers can apparently put out an APB on a part number and other dealers often respond.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does anyone know the cost of the carbon linkage from the s-works model? I was told it can be purchased separately.

I'm 5'10, likely grabbing the S4, demoing today. Little worried about the wheel base and dead bike feeling.

Any comparison to stumpy29er? Would like luv feedback from someone who has had both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Fits great and the bike is rad I just have a couple new projects im building and need to make room.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
    Does anyone know the cost of the carbon linkage from the s-works model? I was told it can be purchased separately.

I'm 5'10, likely grabbing the S4, demoing today. Little worried about the wheel base and dead bike feeling.

Any comparison to stumpy29er? Would like luv feedback from someone who has had both.
    Did not own any of them, but had a chance to ride both (XL Stumpy 29, S4 and S5 Enduro). Totally different bikes. While Stumpy was fun, it is far from composed in the rough stuff. You can definitely feel the short wheelbase and steep head tube angle. The rear suspension is also a bit harsh in the rough. It is a trail bike, would not call it a pure enduro bike by any means.
    Enduro is super stable, composed and really confident no matter what the terrain is. The suspension is super plush, yet really efficient under the pedal strokes. At my 6'3", I preferred the S4 over S5 both on climbs and descents. S5 is too much of a straight line bomber, it was a pain in the ass handling it in the tight stuff. It was also the very first bike, where I felt some back pain on steeper climbs. I did not feel any lack of stability on S4 in the fast rough, while it felt much better anywhere else for me. Still, climbs are a huge weakness of Enduro, if you wanna use it also for racing or as a daily ride and not just shuttle most of the time. My legs were totally wasted compared to any other enduro bike I have ever ridden. And I think I am pretty fit actually. So I looked elsewhere at the end - I did want a downhill bomber, but still be able to spare as much energy as possible on the transfers to stay fresh for stages. Something between Stumpy and Enduro (closer to Enduro definitely) is the sweet spot for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did not own any of them, but had a chance to ride both (XL Stumpy 29, S4 and S5 Enduro). Totally different bikes. While Stumpy was fun, it is far from composed in the rough stuff. You can definitely feel the short wheelbase and steep head tube angle. The rear suspension is also a bit harsh in the rough. It is a trail bike, would not call it a pure enduro bike by any means.
    Enduro is super stable, composed and really confident no matter what the terrain is. The suspension is super plush, yet really efficient under the pedal strokes. At my 6'3", I preferred the S4 over S5 both on climbs and descents. S5 is too much of a straight line bomber, it was a pain in the ass handling it in the tight stuff. It was also the very first bike, where I felt some back pain on steeper climbs. I did not feel any lack of stability on S4 in the fast rough, while it felt much better anywhere else for me. Still, climbs are a huge weakness of Enduro, if you wanna use it also for racing or as a daily ride and not just shuttle most of the time. My legs were totally wasted compared to any other enduro bike I have ever ridden. And I think I am pretty fit actually. So I looked elsewhere at the end - I did want a downhill bomber, but still be able to spare as much energy as possible on the transfers to stay fresh for stages. Something between Stumpy and Enduro (closer to Enduro definitely) is the sweet spot for me.
    Given my height, 5'10, compared to u And ur review, seems S3 may be better as it is close to 3cm shorter wheelbase. Given I gotta use it for climbing and jumps with short runways too, likely the s3 but will keep the S4 demo for today.

Ty for the details~!!!
    Last edited by m3the01; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    How is sag with the 400lb spring? Did you go up or down from your usual spring rate? I'm 20lbs less than you and went with a 400lb spring as well for ccdb.
    Got my first ride in the the Coil shock. The bike with a 400lb spring and me (160lbs) all geared up ended up being at around 33-34% sag. It still pedalled well but the steep tight climbs has you really positioning your weight forward. With a 425lb spring I should be at 30-31% sag which is the more ideal pedaling. For your weight, i believe 400lbs is perfect. Despite the lighter spring, i did not bottom out very easily or at all due to the progressiveness of the frame. Had HSC at a half a turn from fully open and still didnt feel the bumper on a decent 4í huck to flat. You can open up LSC almost all the way also, iím at 4 clicks from fully open (fully counterclockwise and clockwise 4 clicks) and the bike still pedals great.
    Rebound I have Low speed at 4-5 clicks from closed (clockwise to the slowest setting, then back 4-5 clicks), High speed rebound is just half a turn from closed.

The bike just feels even more composed than before. It just tracks the ground so well and it feels so calm.

The climb switch is AMAZING, although itís not a neccessity, on long climbs, its nice to be able to flick it while pedalling. Super easy to reach now!!! Youíre gonna love it!!

mtbr member
    Just ask the dealer when you are demoing the Enduro. I'm curious if it is indeed available separately.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Given my height, 5'10, compared to u And ur review, seems S3 may be better as it is close to 3cm shorter wheelbase. Given I gotta use it for climbing and jumps with short runways too, likely the s3 but will keep the S4 demo for today.

Ty for the details~!!!
    I did not want it to sound like everyone should size down when between sizes. Long reaches are great. But the overall geometry needs to reflect that. As I mentioned before in one of my comments, if the seat tube angle was steeper, I would be able to put a longer stem on and better weight the front wheel on very steep descents while not feeling the back pain from being too stretched on climbs.
    But I think there is definitely a limit, where the wheelbase is becoming too long when you wanna do also slow and tight corners. From my experience, anything up to 1277 mm (Transition Sentinel) is still doing fine, while 1300+ mm was behind that limit for me. I did not ride anything in between. And while it might mean using more muscles for shorter people to corner relatively long bikes, that physical limit of bike's length is not reached even with S4.
    Demo the S4 and if you don't feel any of those limits despite it might be relatively long for your height, go for it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The reference exists in the documentation. I'm also interested in knowing the price...

2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-img_0351.jpg

All the best.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 5'11 on a good day, okay okay... Barely 5'10.5, lol. Demo'd the S4 today, super impressed, reach was fine, climbed in an amazingly balanced way. That said, it is a heavy bike, but extremely well balanced, I could argue better balanced than my 2019 650b s-works, size L.

I took it down a jump line, no issues, did skip two jumps, short takeoffs, I normally hit but was a bit worried with the long wheelbase but really it would have been fine.

Really likes to go fast, don't like the butchers, was washing out up front but in a controlled manner.

I'm not even going to wastest my time on the s3, this bike felt perfect. Likely grab the lowest end build, throw on my xx1 group, s-works carbon links, push coil for the lyrik, Santa Cruz reserves with hydrads, eeWings cranks, enve / renthal cockpit, Maxxis assegai and dhr, and eventually the push 11-6 once it's released. With all that I'm still.likely at 31lbs.

Super impressed though... Passed it off to a critical friend and he agreed, it climbs well for the type of bike it is.

mtbr member
    5í9.5Ē and switched my order back to S3 from S4. My Large 2020 slayer feels damn near perfect which is almost identical to the s3

mtbr member
    Has anybody put a trust shout on yet? Wondering how it will do paired up since they both claim rearward axle path

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone have experience with comparing the 2020 Enduro to the Sentinel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I called Specialized yesterday about frame availability, etc and we got to talking about sizing. They guy I spoke with had great info about sizing and expressed a bit of frustration in how the new sizing numbers are confusing people. It almost sounded like the way they measured reach was not the standard way of doing so. I mentioned to him that on paper the S2 was longer than my M SC HTLT, and he kinda just chuckled. He said the S3 is more similar in size to the M HTLT than the S2 would be... It felt that way when I rode them side by side, but was completely thrown off by the stupid reach measurements.
    Not sure this will help anyone, but I am changing my order from an S2 to an S3 based on his confirmation of what I felt when I rode them and not based on the geo chart.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pdelbusto View Post
    I called Specialized yesterday about frame availability, etc and we got to talking about sizing. They guy I spoke with had great info about sizing and expressed a bit of frustration in how the new sizing numbers are confusing people. It almost sounded like the way they measured reach was not the standard way of doing so. I mentioned to him that on paper the S2 was longer than my M SC HTLT, and he kinda just chuckled. He said the S3 is more similar in size to the M HTLT than the S2 would be... It felt that way when I rode them side by side, but was completely thrown off by the stupid reach measurements.
    Not sure this will help anyone, but I am changing my order from an S2 to an S3 based on his confirmation of what I felt when I rode them and not based on the geo chart.
    I talked to someone at Specialized and they echoíd the same thing. Said 5í 7Ē I should for sure get S3 and not S2.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I called Specialized yesterday about frame availability, etc...
    What was the word on frame availability? Where did you order yours, and what is your delivery date?

I'm looking to purchase a frame ASAP, but having trouble finding one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by avicmar View Post
    The reference exists in the documentation. I'm also interested in knowing the price...

All the best.
    Pricing for the upper and lower link is about $425 and looks to include bearings. Did not see the mid link. Both parts are not currently in stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One ride in review. I finally got a ride in on my 2020 Enduro S3. It's an S-Works frame built up with Fox 36 Factory, GX Eagle drivetrain with 165mm cranks, Hope hubs and LightBike rims ...didn't weigh it but guess 31-32lbs range.

TLDR: Get this bike if you want to go down hill fast but need to pedal up to do so. It also seems like it is going to work all day seated pedaling on brutally rocky rolling hills where maintaining momentum is key.

Me: 53 years old and did my first mountain bike race in 1987. Currently level of fitness is Cat 1. I'm 170 lbs and just a smidge under 5'10'' but I ride flat pedals with my foot midsole which moves me significantly lower on the bike (maybe an inch or more) as I'm not getting much foot/calf extension. Additionally, I'm potentially more forward on the bike then most folks because of the foot position and I also like my knees more over the pedals than most people. ...not really going to talk me out of riding like this on this thread so just know that I'm weird and YRMV.

I actually do most of riding lately on an Epic Evo and 2014 Enduro 29 Carbon Pro --recently sold but with about 5000 miles according to Strava. Also recently owned a 2017 Stumpy Pro and a 2019 Stumpy Evo Alloy.

Most of my riding is in the Texas Hill Country which can be rocky as hell and sort of a max elevation gain/loss of a few hundred feet. Most of our XC/Trail oriented riding can easily be handled on the Epic Evo but it can be a pretty significant beating at times ...which is why I like having something on the opposite end of the spectrum. When I bought the 2014 Enduro 29, the local bike shops wouldn't carry much over 120mm and everyone thought I was crazy but I wanted some that would smooth out the trails for all day riding. It took a while to get the Enduro suspension sorted as I started waaaay too soft but eventually had it dialed to the point where I podium-ed a couple of rougher XC races on it, did multiple 12 hour+ epic rides and even 2 bike packing trips on it. Obviously, I liked this bike.

2917 Stumpy Pro: I only had this bike a short while. It only pedalled slightly better than the 2014 Enduro and gave up too much plushness.

2019 Stumpy Evo S2 Alloy: bought this bike to test the long, slack and low theory and loved it ...ran it with stock 150mm fork in low as well as 160mm fork in high. The bike was an absolute blast on the new Enduro race lines that are being built all over the Texas Hill Country (don't laugh, we even have ski lift access riding now as well as conventional shuttling ...although I actually prefer to pedal up). Super confidence inspiring but a bit too low and difficult to tune the rear suspension to work for all day trail riding. It always seemed to be a significant trade off between pedal strikes and enough initial suppleness to allow seated pedaling on flatter, rocky trails.

I just got the new 2020 Enduro S3 built up and set all the suspension settings to Specialized recommendation. My usual test grounds are closed either for hunting season or weather so I took the bike to an old jeep trail that nobody rides because it is simply straight up and down on big loose rocks over solid limestone ...with a shocking lack of big drops of ledges for this area because Limestone ledges pretty much describes our terrain. Also there is a 3ish mile paved path pedal to the trail which I guess people can't handle on the Enduro bikes. One of the Strava segments shows an average of 25.3% grade so, with the loose rocks, it's sort of a full commitment deal.

So how did the bike perform on the type of trails for which it arguable built? Well luckily I have gone Strava hunting on this trail system on all the previously mentioned bikes. Not just ridden, but ridden full out, as fast as I could go on the climbs and as fast (maybe faster) than I have the balls for on the downs. Not sure it relevant, but I do have a KOM and a couple of top 10s so, while I'm just a hack, I don't totally suck at bikes.

1) Personal Record on the big loop, easily beating all other runs.
    2) Barely beat the Stumpy Evo on a short down hill aptly named Circus Slide
    3) PR-ed Monster Climb
    4) Couldn't outpace my Epic Evo on Heartbreak Hill
    5) Close second to Epic Evo on the long rolling backside section

This is getting too long --embarrassingly so; I'll stop here and post some more general comments after I get some more rides in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I totally agree, complete bs that the s4 was a 487mm reach, nope, not possible. Felt like 460 or so. The s3, in the parking lot, felt small, waaay smaller than my 2019 stumpy 650b size large.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I called Specialized yesterday about frame availability, etc and we got to talking about sizing. They guy I spoke with had great info about sizing and expressed a bit of frustration in how the new sizing numbers are confusing people. It almost sounded like the way they measured reach was not the standard way of doing so.
    So if they don't measure reach in the normal way how do they measure reach ? That is a big problem because I think most people are shopping bikes based on reach as the first parameter they look at, I know I do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You are right. Though the reach of the bike is longer, the S3 effective top tube is shorter than the large stumpy 27.5. So when you're pedaling it will feel shorter.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    You are right. Though the reach of the bike is longer, the S3 effective top tube is shorter than the large stumpy 27.5. So when you're pedaling it will feel shorter.
    S3 enduro TTL is 619mm, while at the large 27.5 stumby is 595 mm.
    Why you are saying that the S3 has shorter?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntinos P View Post
    S3 enduro TTL is 619mm, while at the large 27.5 stumby is 595 mm.
    Why you are saying that the S3 has shorter?

Compared to a large. If you take a large reach number of 27.5 SJ which is shorter then S3 but the TTL is longer on a large 27.5.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Del

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
    The bike is now full Coil.
    180mm Lyric with Vorsprung Smashpot (35lb spring)
    and CC DBcoil CS (400lb spring)
    I'm about 150lbs naked or 160 geared up.

I struggled accessing the climb switch on the X2 since it's a bit closer to and further below the water bottle cage. With the DBcoil, it's further away plus the switch is easier to grab/feel. The weight penalty isn't too bad...
    Total weight of the bike with XTR Race pedals, DHRII/Assegai tires (EXO casing) is 32.8lbs. Add about 1.1-1.2lbs to that for CO2, tubes, tools, patches, plugs, knife, etc...

The Shock is a 205x65 shock. I inserted a 2mm thick plastic washer under the bumper so the effective stroke is 63mm. However, I believe the 10mm Bottom out Bumper which is really hard rubber will never compress more than 7-8mm so my coil shock's actual stroke is 60-61mm which is where I want it to be. I've had coil shocks in the past where the bumper prevented full travel despite hard bottom outs so a bit more shock stroke is best in my opinion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4166.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	1289821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4167.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	323.1 KB 
ID:	1289823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4168.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	379.7 KB 
ID:	1289825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4169.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	372.4 KB 
ID:	1289827
    Just received my EXT storia V2.
    754gr with 550lbs spring :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Nice!! Yea the cc valt springs are not as light as the fox sls springs and others. My 400lb spring was 325g. I had a valt 500lb spring that was 380g.

Was thinking about the EXT Storia shock but figured this bikes leverage curve was progressive enough where I didnt need the extra bottom out support the Storia offers. So far i havent felt it bottom out yet but I havent hit anything that hard yet

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Is there only white/gray S-works frameset? I thought I saw a aqua color frameset somewhere.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Pretty sure the blue frameset is available in some Asian countries only. I think Taiwan is one of them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Ok I'm about to order the Enduro frameset. Wondering should I go 34.9mm dropper post or just 31.6? Interesting that Specialized specced the S-Works build with a Reverb AXS, 30.9 diameter dropper. Rockshox is offering a Reverb AXS 34.9 also. Is there really any difference going 34.9 vs 31.6?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Specialized is starting to spec their bikes with what riders desire. 34.9 supposedly allows them to build a more reliable dropper. Also allowed them to create the wu-post. I'd just use any dropper you want with a shim. There are 34.9 options from Bike Yoke, Rockshox, KS, and X-fusion.

However, this bike has a really short seat tube and if you want to get the most drop possible, take a look at One up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    Pretty sure the blue frameset is available in some Asian countries only. I think Taiwan is one of them.
    In the Specialized website, if you change the country you will see what color is available for each country.
    br.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Specialized is starting to spec their bikes with what riders desire. 34.9 supposedly allows them to build a more reliable dropper. Also allowed them to create the wu-post. I'd just use any dropper you want with a shim. There are 34.9 options from Bike Yoke, Rockshox, KS, and X-fusion.

However, this bike has a really short seat tube and if you want to get the most drop possible, take a look at One up.
    Does anyone knows if the s-works frame comes with the shim to put a 31.6 seatpost? I would like to install the Fox Transfer and it's only available in 31.6, not in 34.9.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    In the Specialized website, if you change the country you will see what color is available for each country.
    br.
    It seems that you can chose:
    North America
    GRANITE / BRUSHED BLACK CHROME
    GLOSS DOVE GRAY / GLOSS BLACK / ROCKET RED.

EUROPE:
    Only the GRANITE / BRUSHED BLACK CHROME

ASIA :
    GRANITE / BRUSHED BLACK CHROME
    GLOSS DOVE GRAY / GLOSS BLACK / ROCKET RED.
    BLUE
    this is for China, in other countries it differs

NEW ZELAND:
    Only the GRANITE.

The info comes from a research on their different websites, nothing official from SZ...

Br.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Does anyone knows if the s-works frame comes with the shim to put a 31.6 seatpost? I would like to install the Fox Transfer and it's only available in 31.6, not in 34.9.
    Thanks
    They donít. Because it depends on size. But you can easily get one for 10 bucks or so on the internet. Check out problem solvers. Get one that is at-least 100mm long.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member

Add to the 34.9 dropper post list -

* Crankbrothers
    * Tranzx
    * PNW components
    * 9point8
    * SDG

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    They donít. Because it depends on size. But you can easily get one for 10 bucks or so on the internet. Check out problem solvers. Get one that is at-least 100mm long.

Thanks, i have seen that there two main types, made in aluminium or in thermoplastic. Which is better for a carbon frame?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks, i have seen that there two main types, made in aluminium or in thermoplastic. Which is better for a carbon frame?

Thanks.
    Iím using the aluminum one on my stumpy and enduro. Works fine seeing as the seat post is made of aluminum too. As is most frames.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Specialized sells a 34.9 to 30.9 seatpost shim. Part number: S174900001

mtbr member
    I could sell my brand new 34.9 dropper that came with the red expert build if anyone wants

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-sled.jpg

Decided to go with the Ohlins and couldn't be happier. I've gone with a 480lb spring where Ohlins recommends 525lb. I am getting 33% sag but adding some LSC and felt amazing. Will be upgrading front to coil as well soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    From past experience Id recommend getting a 34.9 dropper, on my 2017 Enduro I ran the shim and during the winter months it would just let water, grit and mud into the seattube via the slits which would then make pulling the seatpost really tough.

Really recommend the PNW dropper, have had it for 6months now with no issues and the loam lever must be one of the nicest triggers out there!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sled.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	457.9 KB 
ID:	1292015

Decided to go with the Ohlins and couldn't be happier. I've gone with a 480lb spring where Ohlins recommends 525lb. I am getting 33% sag but adding some LSC and felt amazing. Will be upgrading front to coil as well soon.
    I have gather almost everything except the frame... :-)
    (I have used it already on my current bike, and yes it is amazing... I had the 36 grip2 before that)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oikeith View Post
    From past experience Id recommend getting a 34.9 dropper, on my 2017 Enduro I ran the shim and during the winter months it would just let water, grit and mud into the seattube via the slits which would then make pulling the seatpost really tough.

Really recommend the PNW dropper, have had it for 6months now with no issues and the loam lever must be one of the nicest triggers out there!
    quick fix for that:

https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/willy.html

2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-willy_angle.jpg
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I demo'd one of these machines over the past weekend and am currently in deep regret that I don't have the local terrain to justify it.

For all of those who get to ride these bikes regularly, I'm very jealous!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntinos P View Post
    I have gather almost everything except the frame... :-)
    (I have used it already on my current bike, and yes it is amazing... I had the 36 grip2 before that)

When are you getting the frame? How do you compare the Grip2 with the Ohlins? As that is my other update, upgrade the damper from Grip to Grip2 and will save me a lot of money.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    When are you getting the frame? How do you compare the Grip2 with the Ohlins? As that is my other update, upgrade the damper from Grip to Grip2 and will save me a lot of money.
    End of December hopefully.
    IMHO, If you are already happy with the coil, go with coil upfrond also. Do not bother with upgrades to grip2.

FWIW, with the second "heavier" spring, Ųhlins is just 170g heavier than the grip2 (same travel, same steerer length )

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Has anyone seen the Comp build in person?

The Spec website says it comes with a 24h hub/rim in the front, but the wheel photo on the Specialized site is 28h.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    good one, cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm wondering if a 175cm dropper post FOX TRANSFER will fit on a S3 size or i will need a 150cm one. I want it the closer to the frame the better when closed.
    Does anyone know what is the seat tube clearance?, what i put in the picture in red.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm wondering if a 175cm dropper post FOX TRANSFER will fit on a S3 size or i will need a 150cm one. I want it the closer to the frame the better when closed.
    Does anyone know what is the seat tube clearance?, what i put in the picture in red.

Thanks
    With a 150mm dropper inserted all the way in the S3, there is still 2 inches of the dropper's mast outside of the seat tube.

You should look at a Oneup post because their 170mm post has about the same insertable length as all other 150mm posts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I'm wondering if anyone on here knows the weight of the stock wheels on the enduro comp? Also wondering what the hub engagement is? Couldn't seem to find that info on their site.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman613 View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone on here knows the weight of the stock wheels on the enduro comp? Also wondering what the hub engagement is? Couldn't seem to find that info on their site.

Thanks

Have no idea about the DT 360 hub engagement, other that it is not have the "star ratchet" (like the 180S - 240S & 350S)

The weight is something like 1870gramms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Enduro Thread Try 2-fdewf.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thank you! Waiting on my S5 to come in and am getting excited!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Thanks
    It is a Formula hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Thanks
    While the bike comes with Traverse rims it is not a Traverse wheelset and will weigh well north of 2 kg. The only component of the wheels that are the same are the rims. Front hub, rear hub, spokes, and nipples are all different between the after market and original equipment wheels. All published Roval wheelset weights are without valves, rimstrips, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123