2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread

Super excited about this bike and looking for any Solid info on a release date or if anybody had has ridden it,or thoughts in general on Specialized finally dipping their toes into more ďprogressiveĒ geometry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-7855fb52-2272-4097-b7b0-db3e1447b3dc.jpg  

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-a25fb150-ee96-42b8-9209-c78bfb10f5dc.jpeg  

Last edited by Shredmonkey; 05-04-2018 at 06:16 AM.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah I'm looking forward to it as well.

I think they'll sell out fast and Specialized will be kicking themselves they weren't a little more progressive with the sizing on the stock bike. Somewhere in between would have been great for everyone I think, just as a 28" wheelsize would have been

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It seems with the evo specialized is putting an experimental bike into serial production, which is cool.
    But can someone explain what the evo is exactly good for? The geometry is somewhere in enduro/demo territory, but the frame is not nearly as robust, i asume. Would i ride this in bikeparks?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The wheelbase will add stability so it'll be more composed at higher speeds. The slacker head angle will put more weight behind the front axle on steeper trails so you don't have to change body position as much and the fork will bind less. Steeper seat angle puts more rider mass forward on steep climbs which keeps the front wheel down. Longer rear centre puts the rider more central increasing front cornering grip.

The frame seems overbuilt when you look at the weights so I don't think they'll be breaking. Ignoring the marketing it'll be better everywhere for the aggressive rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.BL View Post
    It seems with the evo specialized is putting an experimental bike into serial production, which is cool.
    But can someone explain what the evo is exactly good for? The geometry is somewhere in enduro/demo territory, but the frame is not nearly as robust, i asume. Would i ride this in bikeparks?
    Nothing experimental about it. Mondraker, guerrilla gravity, nicolai, and transition have all been putting out out bikes with similar numbers for a while now. Specialized seems a little bit behind the curve on this one honestly. What itís good for is for the rider that wants to remain stable and in control when going down steep technical terrain at high-speeds is one scenario I can think of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Ignoring the marketing it'll be better everywhere for the aggressive rider.
    Better everywhere? Well I guess I better sell my Enduro and get one of these.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah a good friend was at the launch and said it's a monster.

Class Clown
    https://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gea...pjumper-52097/

great pic in that article of the different geo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Better everywhere? Well I guess I better sell my Enduro and get one of these.
    Well, depends if you want less travel. That said when it comes to suspension quality usually surpasses quantity. But my Enduro is 170mm/165mm front and rear so dropping to 150mm to chase a slacker head angle might be too much for me. Plus it only weighs 30lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Well, depends if you want less travel. That said when it comes to suspension quality usually surpasses quantity. But my Enduro is 170mm/165mm front and rear so dropping to 150mm to chase a slacker head angle might be too much for me. Plus it only weighs 30lbs.
    Longer chain stay nice though

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    As for a release date, I work at a Specialized dealer and we are being told August, super excited to get to ride one, just a little sad that the 29 is 15mm shorter reach than the 27.5 version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gvus2001 View Post
    As for a release date, I work at a Specialized dealer and we are being told August, super excited to get to ride one, just a little sad that the 29 is 15mm shorter reach than the 27.5 version.
    This what Iím talking about. First I heard mid June, then July, and now Gvus is saying Aug. Honestly Iím pretty happy with the numbers on the S2 29Ē. At just under 5í 10Ē lím usually in between sizes but feel solid on a spesh size L.
    Last edited by Shredmonkey; 05-04-2018 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonkey View Post
    This what Iím talking about. First I heard mid June, then July, and now Gvus is saying Aug. Honestly Iím pretty happy with the numbers on the S2 29Ē. At just under 5í 10Ē lím usually in between sizes but feel solid on a spesh size L.
    I've narrowed down my next MTB to the Stumpjumper EVO & the YT Capra 29er. If it's true that the EVO has been pushed back to Aug., then I'll have to take the plunge to grab the Capra...

But, I know that time is ticking on the Capra as well so if I delay much longer the Capra I want (Comp AL) could be pushed back or sold out (tentative delivery date is 6/27 as of now).

mtbr member
    Nothing experimental about it. Mondraker, guerrilla gravity, nicolai, and transition have all been putting out out bikes with similar numbers for a while now. Specialized seems a little bit behind the curve on this one honestly. What itís good for is for the rider that wants to remain stable and in control when going down steep technical terrain at high-speeds is one scenario I can think of.
    I disagree that they are behind the curve on this. Specialized is in a different space than the other manufacturers you mention in terms of scale so for them to push out an experiment like this is fairly forward thinking for a large company. You don't see SC/Giant/Trek/other major bike companies anywhere near this geo. If they were some small manufacturer then I would agree with you.

My local shop was told June release for the Evo earlier this week so the truth is probably that nobody is sure right now.

mtbr member
    I always gave credit to Giant for being the first ones of the big three to put out a bike with LLS geo when they released the reign back in 2015. I know itís not a trail bike with those numbers but it was a pretty big leap from the previous model.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Agreed. Great numbers on those bikes. If Specialized was progressive enough to put those reach numbers on the standard bikes I'm not sure there would be much requirement for the Evo. Although I do like the longer rear centre.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I hope it sells well so they will hopefully introduce an Enduro Evo as well!

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Finally showed up on the dealer page so I put my order in. Early July apparently.

S2 29". Going to run full XX1/Roval SL's etc. Should be able to get it under 35lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Finally showed up on the dealer page so I put my order in. Early July apparently.

S2 29". Going to run full XX1/Roval SL's etc. Should be able to get it under 35lbs 藍
    Can't wait for review

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

S2 29". Going to run full XX1/Roval SL's etc. Should be able to get it under 35lbs 藍
    Frame only option?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bike only I think.

They're testing the market aren't they. One model and solid spec but no frills.

That said, it's probably the best VFM in the entire line-up.

mtbr member

S2 29". Going to run full XX1/Roval SL's etc. Should be able to get it under 35lbs
    Interesting, I thought there was only going to be one spec, or are you adding the drivetrain and rims separately?
    Maybe Iím being impatient but if JCL is right summer is going to be mostly over by the time anybody even gets their hands on one. I donít remember another instance of a bike being announced and then not being able to see one in person or even in the wild till months later.
    Last edited by Shredmonkey; 05-25-2018 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Whereís the Evo price point expected to be?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sage1 View Post
    Whereís the Evo price point expected to be?
    $3,600 usd.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Interesting, I thought there was only going to be one spec, or are you adding the drivetrain and rims separately?
    Maybe Iím being impatient but if JCL is right summer is going to be mostly over by the time anybody even gets their hands on one. I donít remember another instance of a bike being announced and then not being able to see one in person or even in the wild till months later.
    I honestly think it's because the standard bike was underwhelming that they had to launch the Evo at the same time. Just to add more buzz at the press camp.

Think about it. Here's the new Stumpy, it's a bit slacker and we got rid of all the stuff we've been telling you is great over the years. It also might be heavier than the old one. Not much of a story is it?

Loam_Shame
    Feb 2013
    I honestly think it's because the standard bike was underwhelming that they had to launch the Evo at the same time. Just to add more buzz at the press camp.

Think about it. Here's the new Stumpy, it's a bit slacker and we got rid of all the stuff we've been telling you is great over the years. It also might be heavier than the old one. Not much of a story is it?
    disagree... everything has been changed. Frame is lighter and not heavier. The tires/tubes are the things making it heavy.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Note that Specialized only said the rear end is lighter.

Loam_Shame
    Feb 2013
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...umpjumper.html

Frame = 100ish g
    Seat stay bridge = 100g
    Rear triangle = 550g

That's over a 1.5 lb weight savings from the previous model and being stiffer. Very significant imo.

I do hope the evo's geo filters to the Enduro.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That all sounds a bit vague. I really doubt the main frame is lighter with the threaded BB.

mtbr member
    Bike only I think.

They're testing the market aren't they. One model and solid spec but no frills.

That said, it's probably the best VFM in the entire line-up.
    what's the stock spec? I'd be happy to see gx eagle and performance elite suspension.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    GX Eagle, Codes, Grip Damper 36, DPX shock.

Under 4K. Crazy cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Talked to my LBS the other day and they said their website is saying end of June but reality is more like end of July. Iím not in the market until years end so thatís okay for me. 😉
    I am anxious to see the build specs, specifically the hubs on this thing. I hate that most of the other stumpyís use non-upgradeable internals in the hubs. Once you get used to a 72t star ratchet, going back to 18poe isnít very fun.

mtbr member
    finally 440mm chainstays but the frame may not take a 200mm dropper post due to the interrupted seattube which is a huge drawback IMO. What's the use of a super low, super slack geometry when you cannot lower the saddle enough to truly leverage the geometry?

Apart from that I'd buy it right away!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Iíve got the 14 SJ Evo with a 125mm dropper and Iíve never felt like the post needed to be able to go down any further. The idea of having another 25mm seems excessive to me but this bike obviously has different geometry.
    What body position would you be in to need 200mm of post travel? At a certain point isnít your belly almost resting on the seat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhenric View Post
    a 125mm dropper and Iíve never felt like the post needed to be able to go down any further. The idea of having another 25mm seems excessive to me
    there we go again...
    No offense but if you don't even see the need for a 150mm post in 2018 we're probably not riding on the same trail. I'm talking about instances where advanced trial technique with super low centre of gravity is used to make a difficult path rideable without crashing, there's a reason why real trial bikes have a saddle ridiculously low (to enable certain tricks)
    Google for Trial bike or watch a YouTube video to get an idea.

A friend of mine fitted a 200mm dropper in his YT Capra and even though it's only 25mm more travel than what I got he sometimes has the edge over me due to the lower center of gravity

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    there we go again...
    No offense but if you don't even see the need for a 150mm post in 2018 we're probably not riding on the same trail. I'm talking about instances where advanced trial technique with super low centre of gravity is used to make a difficult path rideable without crashing, there's a reason why real trial bikes have a saddle ridiculously low (to enable certain tricks)
    Google for Trial bike or watch a YouTube video to get an idea.

A friend of mine fitted a 200mm dropper in his YT Capra and even though it's only 25mm more travel than what I got he sometimes has the edge over me due to the lower center of gravity
    Iím not saying I donít see a need for a 150mm post. I was saying that 200 seemed excessive. Apparently Iím not going as steep as you areÖ

Why are you bringing trials bikes into the discussion? Thatís a completely different discipline, right? With a trials bike, you would just keep the seat all the way down, no need to put it up and down, right? What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Iím not saying I donít see a need for a 150mm post. I was saying that 200 seemed excessive.
    sure?

Iíve got the 14 SJ Evo with a 125mm dropper and Iíve never felt like the post needed to be able to go down any further. The idea of having another 25mm seems excessive to me
    125 + 25 = 150 = excessive?

A bike with super slack geometry enables you to ride sections which would normally make you crash but you can only fully leverage that slack headangle and long reach if you can equally keep you center of gravity low enough when needed, I'm not saying you need 200mm of dropper post all the time as you don't need a 63.5 headangle all the time but when you need it you need it

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    sure?

125 + 25 = 150 = excessive?

A bike with super slack geometry enables you to ride sections which would normally make you crash but you can only fully leverage that slack headangle and long reach if you can equally keep you center of gravity low enough when needed, I'm not saying you need 200mm of dropper post all the time as you don't need a 63.5 headangle all the time but when you need it you need it
    My bad. I just re-read what I wrote and you were right. I did say that 150 seemed excessive. I forgot I even wrote it. I rescind that comment.

On a side note, one thing I didnít take into consideration for a 150+ dropper is body sizes and, more specifically, leg length. A guy with longer legs and shorter torso would potentially need more dropper post.

mtbr member
    Iíve got the 14 SJ Evo with a 125mm dropper and Iíve never felt like the post needed to be able to go down any further. The idea of having another 25mm seems excessive to me but this bike obviously has different geometry.
    What body position would you be in to need 200mm of post travel? At a certain point isnít your belly almost resting on the seat?
    When the average grade of the trail is -40% and you are in an uncontrollable slide from top to bottom, having the largest dropper possible is nice. Also is nice for large drops/jumps.

mtbr member
    finally 440mm chainstays but the frame may not take a 200mm dropper post due to the interrupted seattube which is a huge drawback IMO. What's the use of a super low, super slack geometry when you cannot lower the saddle enough to truly leverage the geometry?

Apart from that I'd buy it right away!!
    That's a pretty big ask, how long have 200mm droppers been around? And how many frames do they actually fit?
    I think the point of super low, super slack geometry nullifies the demand to be able to fit a 200mm dropper post. Capra is basically DH Lite. Can you fit a 200mm in an Enduro? If you need your post that high, or that low, then you do what we had to do in the pre dropper days. You pick a height that's a reasonable compromise and ride it. Or you stop and adjust each time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's a pretty big ask, how long have 200mm droppers been around? And how many frames do they actually fit?
    I think the point of super low, super slack geometry nullifies the demand to be able to fit a 200mm dropper post. Capra is basically DH Lite. Can you fit a 200mm in an Enduro? If you need your post that high, or that low, then you do what we had to do in the pre dropper days. You pick a height that's a reasonable compromise and ride it. Or you stop and adjust each time.
    Thatís what I meant to say but failed to do so.

mtbr member
    a ~200mm drop was perfectly normal 20years ago when everyone just lowered their fixed seatpost on their hardtails

nowdays it almost seems one has to explain himself why he needs more than 150mm drop

if someone doesn't see the need for a 200mm dropper I don't think he can make use of a 63.5ha either

200mm dropper posts have existed at least since 2014

I don't care how many frames they fit (not many, also depending on the riders inseam) but there are enough frames that they work with already and if Specialized wants to impress me with a NEW bike in 2018 they should try harder!

mtbr member
    a ~200mm drop was perfectly normal 20years ago when everyone just lowered their fixed seatpost on their hardtails

nowdays it almost seems one has to explain himself why he needs more than 150mm drop

if someone doesn't see the need for a 200mm dropper I don't think he can make use of a 63.5ha either

200mm dropper posts have existed at least since 2014

I don't care how many frames they fit (not many, also depending on the riders inseam) but there are enough frames that they work with already and if Specialized wants to impress me with a NEW bike in 2018 they should try harder!
    200mm drops on hardtails 20 years ago wasn't a problem. No interrupted seat tubes to worry about. I'm not suggesting that length post isn't required, but there are never going to be many frames that will fit one normally. At this stage I don't mind the 65 or 66 degree angle of my bike. The Stumpy looks particularly vulnerable given where the seat tube bends.
    Actually now that I think about it, you can probably fit a big dropper in any frame. You're just gonna have a really tall seatpost.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's a 400mm seat tube. A small in most sizes.

I bet many people will be able to run 200mm droppers.

mtbr member
    the seattube length is not the culprit here but rather it's limited insertion clearance due to the bend section halfway towards the bb. Judging by the pictures a 200mm post may or may not narrowly fit even for my long legs (34.5" inseam)

It all depends on if the main rocker link is connected with the frame by two bolts from each side (like Trek Remedy) or a thru axle (like Giant Reign)

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    the seattube length is not the culprit here but rather it's limited insertion clearance due to the bend section halfway towards the bb. Judging by the pictures a 200mm post may or may not narrowly fit even for my long legs (34.5" inseam)

It all depends on if the main rocker link is connected with the frame by two bolts from each side (like Trek Remedy) or a thru axle (like Giant Reign)
    I get all that but find me a bike with a 445mm reach and a 400mm seat tube.

If you've got a 34" inseam I doubt you'll have an issue. Droppers vary in overall length and there's a good chance 34.9mm versions will end up shorter than smaller diameters due to more bushing contact.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just visited a bike shop, EVO's are supposed to be available early-mid July. They were kind enough to show me specs though one thing that caught my eye (not in a good way). The EVOs will be specc'd with NX Eagles, not GX Eagles... At $3,600 that's not a good price point to spec an aluminum with NX, IMO...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Brakes

Hi What kind of brakes does Spclzd put on the EVO?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakub View Post
    Hi What kind of brakes does Spclzd put on the EVO?
    Fortunately codes.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafDaddy View Post
    Just visited a bike shop, EVO's are supposed to be available early-mid July. They were kind enough to show me specs though one thing that caught my eye (not in a good way). The EVOs will be specc'd with NX Eagles, not GX Eagles... At $3,600 that's not a good price point to spec an aluminum with NX, IMO...
    That's a shame. Thought it was too good to be true. Not the end of the world for me as I'll be changing everything anyway.

mtbr member
    I saw this a few weeks looking at the dealer page at my shop. Kind of a bullshit move from specialized if they canít even spec with the GX considering itís what they speced it with in all the press releases. Unless there something I donít know NX Eagle isnít even a thing. Eagle is 12x, NX is the budget 11x.
    Not to go too far after off-topic but we just picked up a commencal meta for my girlfriend with full XO1 Eagle build for $3500. The Evo definitely has the Geo I want but with the wait time and not even getting a 12x for this price itís getting harder and harder to remain faithful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Doing a little bit of googling shows a few pages popping up for an NX Eagle. SRAM even has a page for it even though the page itself doesnít have any content. Maybe itís a brand new product they are going to release? If so, I will be bummed they go with a more inexpensive 1x12.
    If this is the case, it bums me out even more that Specialized isnít offering different trim levels of the EVO.
    The 2 things I would have liked to see upgraded are the wheels and the GX (assuming it isnít equipped with it already). Iím not a fan of the Roval hubs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just did a little looking and, at least when they had press there for launch, the EVO did have the GX Eagle on there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Doing a little bit of googling shows a few pages popping up for an NX Eagle. SRAM even has a page for it even though the page itself doesnít have any content. Maybe itís a brand new product they are going to release? If so, I will be bummed they go with a more inexpensive 1x12.
    Agreed. I had to do a double-take when I saw the specs showing NX Eagle as it doesn't appear to an official product... Yet. My hunch is SRAM will announce the NX 'Eagle' soon, tagging Specialized's SJ EVO to be one of the 1st bikes to spec the NX Eagle.

I've been holding out on buying a new MTB after I sold mine waiting for the SJ EVO, but the NX Eagle will definitely bring it down a notch. I'm stoked for the 'new school geometry' (longer, lower, and slacker) figures of the SJ EVO; I've demo'd the '18 Enduro, Pole Evolink (yep, one of the lucky ones to demo one), and the Transition Sentinel. Those bikes just made me a flat-out better rider and made mtb'ing more enjoyable for me. At the same time I'm fully aware that the new school geometry may not benefit everyone, yet it definitely worked for me and I have a feeling it will catch on once more bikers try it out.

But, a $3,600 aluminum bike with NX *Eagle* (I don't care if it's Eagle) certainly gives me a reason to pause. I guess I'll just have to wait until Spesh makes it official on their website (shown as available and not "Coming Soon" along with production EVOs out in the wild)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Agreed. I had to do a double-take when I saw the specs showing NX Eagle as it doesn't appear to an official product... Yet. My hunch is SRAM will announce the NX 'Eagle' soon, tagging Specialized's SJ EVO to be one of the 1st bikes to spec the NX Eagle.

I've been holding out on buying a new MTB after I sold mine waiting for the SJ EVO, but the NX Eagle will definitely bring it down a notch. I'm stoked for the 'new school geometry' (longer, lower, and slacker) figures of the SJ EVO; I've demo'd the '18 Enduro, Pole Evolink (yep, one of the lucky ones to demo one), and the Transition Sentinel. Those bikes just made me a flat-out better rider and made mtb'ing more enjoyable for me. At the same time I'm fully aware that the new school geometry may not benefit everyone, yet it definitely worked for me and I have a feeling it will catch on once more bikers try it out.

But, a $3,600 aluminum bike with NX *Eagle* (I don't care if it's Eagle) certainly gives me a reason to pause. I guess I'll just have to wait until Spesh makes it official on their website (shown as available and not "Coming Soon" along with production EVOs out in the wild)...
    Hopefully this is all just a big misunderstanding. 😬

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How much is a SJ Comp? What suspension is on one of those?

mtbr member
    NX Eagle is officially out so the dealer page spec seems legit. Unless they lower the retail ( which they wonít) still think itís kind of false advertising to downgrade such an integral part of the bike. Not the end of the world but Iím sure the last thing the bike needs is an extra 200 grams.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    NX Eagle is officially out so the dealer page spec seems legit. Unless they lower the retail ( which they wonít) still think itís kind of false advertising to downgrade such an integral part of the bike. Not the end of the world but Iím sure the last thing the bike needs is an extra 200 grams.
    How is it false advertising? Where is the official spec on the Specialized site?

mtbr member
    How is it false advertising? Where is the official spec on the Specialized site?
    ďKind ofĒ I guess misleading might be a better term when it was being unveiled and leting it be promoted as one thing and then realeased downgraded. I know nothing is official even as I write this but still a little let down with the spec change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It is only false advertising in the fact that the bike only comes in 1 trim level and the demo bike for he launch had GX Eagle components. We are jumping the gun since Specialized hasnít put the actual specs on a public website.

mtbr member
    I'd happily put up with a low spec drive train if they offered a full coil version...

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    With the specs we are seeing in starting to think Iíll just build up a frame. Does anyone know anything about the Fox 36 Float Rhythm being offered on the bike? How do these compare to a Performance Elite? It looks like these are only available OEM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorquin Kiki View Post
    With the specs we are seeing in starting to think Iíll just build up a frame. Does anyone know anything about the Fox 36 Float Rhythm being offered on the bike? How do these compare to a Performance Elite? It looks like these are only available OEM.
    Do we know if they will have a frame only option for the EVO? Might not be a bad way to go depending on what price they make it.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No frame apparently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Reviews of the NX are widely positive, might not be the end of the world if that is what the bike is spec'd with.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The bike offers something fundamentally different from the cookie cutter geo of that standard bike. If that isn't enough that a mainstream manufacturer has built such a bike I recommend contacting every other manufacturer to complain about all their "short chainstay, 10mm longer than last year" bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Reviews of the NX are widely positive, might not be the end of the world if that is what the bike is spec'd with.
    Agreed. Initially I was discouraged when I saw that the SJ EVO would be specc'd with NX Eagle, but after the announcement and the mostly positive reviews I'm just about all in and ready to plunk down my hard earned cash on the counter of my Spesh LBS.

However, I'm going to wait for Spesh to finally OFFICIALLY announce the availability & published specs on their website. And more comprehensive reviews as well (though I have a feeling they'll be quite positive).

Getting tired of borrowing my buddy's bike & renting...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Also, I was able to coyly convince the LBS to print out the unofficial specs from Spesh so if anybody has questions about the specs I'd be happy to answer. Keep in mind it's for the 29er EVO in S2 (there were no geometry figures given).

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Crank length?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    "SRAM NX Eagle, DUB, 170mm", so says the spec sheet.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks. Was hoping they were super brave and went 165mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    That was for the 29er; maybe the 27.5 will have 165mm since the BB is precariously low (unless they made last second changes to increase the BB)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    "SRAM NX Eagle, DUB, 170mm", so says the spec sheet.
    Is the spec sheet available to the public or is it a dealer only thing for now?

mtbr member
    Stopped by my LBS and theyíre showing a shipment date of early July. Fingers crossed not too much longer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Is the spec sheet available to the public or is it a dealer only thing for now?
    It was printed from the dealer portal, not for public consumption. The employee was likely new and not fully up to date on 'non-disclosures' policy... :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Stopped by my LBS and theyíre showing a shipment date of early July. Fingers crossed not too much longer.
    The spec sheet I was able to coax a new employee at the LBS showed early July as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

New question here. What about oustside US

Any information about EU delivery times ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Official page on specialized is officially live.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...oy-29/p/159451

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for the heads up! Now I'm torn between the black or sliver. Black looks better than I thought, but I'll wait until the local LBS has it in stock (they're expecting delivery of a black in a couple weeks, maybe less).

mtbr member
    Agreed, the bike looks really good in black. I thought for sure the raw was the way to go but damn.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If the black was ano it would be sweet but flat black paint looks crap pretty quick. I hope we get the brushed clear in Canadia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Is this going to be 29" only?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post
    Is this going to be 29" only?
    Looks that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Looks that way.
    Just got done talking to specialized customer support. A 650 option will be release mid AUGUST....

mtbr member
    On the dealer website the 29er now says late July.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The 29er was already released

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigween View Post
    The 29er was already released
    Not the Evo. It wasnít released to the public when the ST and LT versions were released.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Not the Evo. It wasnít released to the public when the ST and LT versions were released.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...oy-29/p/159451

Do you mean this Evo 29er?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yes. It is on their website but it isnít actually available to the public yet. No one has one. The other versions of the SK were announced and people actually have them. It was just last week that the EVO even showed on the public website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yes. It is on their website but it isnít actually available to the public yet. No one has one. The other versions of the SK were announced and people actually have them. It was just last week that the EVO even showed on the public website.
    Got it, my mistake, I read that differently. In that case, then that sucks that I have to wait till the end of July to even get an Evo. Let alone wanting a 650 WHICH is said to be released MID AUGUST, and who knows when that will actually be in our LBS

The Fastest of Bananas
    Got it, my mistake, I read that differently. In that case, then that sucks that I have to wait till the end of July to even get an Evo. Let alone wanting a 650 WHICH is said to be released MID AUGUST, and who knows when that will actually be in our LBS
    If only they would do a frame only option. It would suck to have to get one just to strip all the parts. Its a shame Specialized does Sram only.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That's what I'll be doing.

Not too bothered as I have a use for the NX Eagle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So has anyone got their hands on a 2019 SJ EVO? Really curious as to how everyone is liking them.

Loam_Shame
    Feb 2013
    So has anyone got their hands on a 2019 SJ EVO? Really curious as to how everyone is liking them.
    Don't think they have been in the shops yet? Curious as well.

mtbr member
    Not in shops yet. I put a down payment months ago so I hopefully should be getting one of the first when they come in. My LBS was saying the 29er S2 wil be the first available in a week or two with the 27.5 being released sometime in August.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My LBS says the EVO will not be sold in the EU is this even possible or are they just incompetent ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's listed on their UK und italian website.

mtbr member
    My LBS says the EVO will not be sold in the EU is this even possible or are they just incompetent ?
    In my experience quite a few shops arenít very aware of the Evo. My LBS is independent and very gravity focused and some of the employees werenít really in the know about the Evo. I donít know why but it seems like Spec is being hush hush with this bike for now as I have yet to see a single article or review since itís announcement along with the regular stumpyís over 3 months ago.

I'm with stupid
    This thing needs to hurry up and come out. I have my name on one coming to my LBS. I hate waiting!

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah I'm getting a bit bored of waiting. Lots of other rad bikes hitting the market soon too.

mtbr member
    Lbs said bike has shipped from Spec warehouse and should be in tomorrow or Wednesday.

mtbr member
    I hear Giant is about to drop an LLS mid travel 29

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I hear there's a new Trance coming but I doubt that'll be anywhere near as progressive as the Evo.

mtbr member
    Weíll see who else comes close to the evo. I need a progressive geo trail bike for big pedal days to pair with my LT29. I really want to know if the evo rides more like a smuggler or a sentinel. These two bikes from the same brand have only 20mm travel difference but ride totally differently. One is efficient and a great trail bike the other is a heavy hitter, with climbing efficiency to match.

mtbr member
    Bike came in today and first impressions of my parking lot demo are really positive. I had the shop switch out the cassette to an X01 to shave off ~300 grams. After that the bike came in at 33.05 pounds or 14.9 kg for the S2 29er but feels much lighter. Quick pedal around the parking lot and some nearby small dirt jumps felt comfortable immediately. The long wheelbase feels great and pedaling feels surprisingly snappy For a 29x2.6 tire. The seat drop stupid low and of course it took a little more effort to manual but other than that cant wait to get it on the trail this weekend after I swap out to my carbon bars and the rear tire to a purgatory 2.6. So stoked!

mtbr member
    Tried posting pics but apparently Mtbr likes to make it painfully difficult and I can only deal with so many error messages. Iíll try again later.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How's the welding? Was wondering if they'ed be a little neater than the standard bikes.

mtbr member
    2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-9698a45f-7e7d-45ef-b05c-f1739d7889f7.jpg2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-86abc6d3-e9be-4af3-ac01-aa3796bf7ed4.jpg2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-fecdb9f3-ee25-4125-8f79-501460faa813.jpg
    Looks good, very clean.

mtbr member
    So the bike came with the NX cassette and your shop swapped it for the x01? I assume they did the driver as well. How much did that cost you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The new Stumpjumper Evo looks so sick! I'm very interested to hear about how it rides. Easily on my top 3 list for my next full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    So the bike came with the NX cassette and your shop swapped it for the x01? I assume they did the driver as well. How much did that cost you?
    Luckily they had a near new XD driver that they gave me for 1/2 price and with a little discount on
    The cassette I think it was around $350 for the upgrade. May or may not be worth it for some for .6 pounds of rotational weight savings.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    And unsprung. Always worth paying to reduce that.

How tall are you dude? I'm 5'8 1/2" or 174cm and have the same size on order. Going to run a 30mm stem and 760mm bars and the reach should be bang on for me.

Surprised you're not going Slaughter on the rear. Rolls better than the Purg IMO but still has real side knobs.

Bike looks so right. Instantly makes the standard bike look too short in the WB.

mtbr member
    Yep, should be dead on size for you. I am 5í 91/2Ē and the bike feels a touch smaller than my current 2017 stumpy large with my seat slammed forward. My guess is itís the steep seat tube angle which also puts you right above the cranks and feels great. Works well for me because I personally prefer a slightly more upright pedaling position to save my back for longer days in the saddle.
    I had the slaughter on my old enduro and it was pretty good then I switched to the Maxis aggressor and felt itís worth a little bit more resistance for the grip good center knobs offer for climbing. Definitely an experiment trying to find a middle ground because the butcher just seemed a little overkill for the rear so weíll see how the 2.6 purgatory does.

mtbr member
    Also interesting is on the specialized website they have a suspension guide for each bike and on the Evo is has me at 211psi for the Dpx2 at 170lbs. Iím going to set it in at 200 psi and see how it goes.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Yep, should be dead on size for you. I am 5í 91/2Ē and the bike feels a touch smaller than my current 2017 stumpy large with my seat slammed forward. My guess is itís the steep seat tube angle which also puts you right above the cranks and feels great. Works well for me because I personally prefer a slightly more upright pedaling position to save my back for longer days in the saddle.
    I had the slaughter on my old enduro and it was pretty good then I switched to the Maxis aggressor and felt itís worth a little bit more resistance for the grip good center knobs offer for climbing. Definitely an experiment trying to find a middle ground because the butcher just seemed a little overkill for the rear so weíll see how the 2.6 purgatory does.
    Thanks for the input, I was wondering on sizes. I run a large too, at 5 foot 8 with a zero setback post.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread

Luckily they had a near new XD driver that they gave me for 1/2 price and with a little discount on
    The cassette I think it was around $350 for the upgrade. May or may not be worth it for some for .6 pounds of rotational weight savings.
    Thatís reasonable indeed. Itís a great looking bike! May I suggest doing a little diy strippage on some of those components to match the raw frame? Itís super easy, all you do is disassemble the part and drop it in some degreaser for 30 minutes. If youíre ocd you can do a brushed finish with some scotch pads or steel wool. Or if you have lots of time on your hands you can polish to a chrome finish. Iíd personally be doing those cranks and stem, or maybe the bars and hubs.

Also, what size did you go with?

mtbr member
    It would look cool but just a little too much work for me right now I barely just got to ride the thing today. I was actually thinking the opposite though where if you got some nice shiny colorful anodized bits from Hope or raceface they would really pop. Also, the size is S2 which is basically a specialized large stumpjumper. I actually measured myself this morning just to make sure I wasnít shrinking so I stand at 5í10Ē and the fit is good. Actually a little tight but it feels good when climbing and Iím also rocking a 40mm stem and my seat is currently centered. Now on to first impressions.

mtbr member
    Overall first impression is great (of course). Going to be hard to narrow things down because there is a lot of firsts for me with this bike. Obviously the geo is new, Iíve demoed a 29 once before bot it was Along time ago and not on the trail like this, and also first time on big 2.6 rubber.
    Climbing: You would never know this is a slacked out machine. Seat tube angle kept me on top of the cranks so I could put down the power and helped put pressure on the bars to keep the front end from wondering. The DPX to has three settings and in the most close to setting which still allows for some shock movement I felt near zero power loss to the wheel, itís a very efficient climber. The only real negative I noticed climbing was around tight switchbacks but not sure if this is a 29er thing or a geometry thing. My bars are 780mm and with the head angle when in a tight turn the grips come really low and close to your knees so you have to watch out. I guess I should mention that I have the bike in the high setting for the extra B.B. height. Within minutes a 64į heading all felt completely natural and I wouldnít of minded being able to keep the 63.5į angle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It would look cool but just a little too much work for me right now I barely just got to ride the thing today. I was actually thinking the opposite though where if you got some nice shiny colorful anodized bits from Hope or raceface they would really pop. Also, the size is S2 which is basically a specialized large stumpjumper. I actually measured myself this morning just to make sure I wasnít shrinking so I stand at 5í10Ē and the fit is good. Actually a little tight but it feels good when climbing and Iím also rocking a 40mm stem and my seat is currently centered. Now on to first impressions.
    Reading all of this and beeing 6'4" I feel like I better wait for a test ride with my incompetent LBS Sounds like S3 might still be on the short side for me.

mtbr member
    The code are brakes are ridiculous. Makes me wonder why Sram would still continue to make guides. Not too touchy like XTs but plenty of power and just the right amount of modulation.
    Suspension and tires: Specialized website has a calculator for the bike set up and at 170pounds it had me put 210psi in the DPX2 and 75psi in the 36. This immediately felt way too stiff so I settled on about 190psi for the shock and 70 for the fork. The bike itself felt great but I honestly spent most of the day thinking about my tire pressure. Again, the calculator had me at 22Ė24 psi. This also fell a little too stiff as I was pinging off of everything. I ended up at about 20 rear and 19 front. I actually did hear my rear rim being a square edge rock at speed at this pressure which had me worried so I guess itís still a work in progress.
    Now the fun part, descending: OMG! This thing rips but itís not what I was expecting. I would not describe this bike is having a plush ride. Everything about this bike seem to be stiff including the frame, fork, and the suspension. I am coming off of carbon frame so maybe thatís why it felt like I could feel a little more trail noise than usual. When I say Stiff I donít necessarily mean that in a bad way, the bike and fork are just solid feeling. Now the part that I wasnít expecting was how this bike just pops! Iím guessing itís the progressive suspension but man when you get this thing up to speed and you preload into any rock, water bar, or jump it just leaps into the into the air. I thought 29ers were supposed to feel a little sluggish or not as playful but I didnít feel any of that as a matter of fact I didnít even think about my tire size. I donít know what else to say here that we donít already know except that this bike completely rips downhill and encourages you to ride like a total hooligan when things get steep and fast.
    Hope this initial review is helpful to anybody interested in this bike if you have any questions let me know, now get out and shred.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

thanks

The code are brakes are ridiculous. Makes me wonder why Sram would still continue to make guides. Not too touchy like XTs but plenty of power and just the right amount of modulation.
    Suspension and tires: Specialized website has a calculator for the bike set up and at 170pounds it had me put 210psi in the DPX2 and 75psi in the 36. This immediately felt way too stiff so I settled on about 190psi for the shock and 70 for the fork. The bike itself felt great but I honestly spent most of the day thinking about my tire pressure. Again, the calculator had me at 22Ė24 psi. This also fell a little too stiff as I was pinging off of everything. I ended up at about 20 rear and 19 front. I actually did hear my rear rim being a square edge rock at speed at this pressure which had me worried so I guess itís still a work in progress.
    Now the fun part, descending: OMG! This thing rips but itís not what I was expecting. I would not describe this bike is having a plush ride. Everything about this bike seem to be stiff including the frame, fork, and the suspension. I am coming off of carbon frame so maybe thatís why it felt like I could feel a little more trail noise than usual. When I say Stiff I donít necessarily mean that in a bad way, the bike and fork are just solid feeling. Now the part that I wasnít expecting was how this bike just pops! Iím guessing itís the progressive suspension but man when you get this thing up to speed and you preload into any rock, water bar, or jump it just leaps into the into the air. I thought 29ers were supposed to feel a little sluggish or not as playful but I didnít feel any of that as a matter of fact I didnít even think about my tire size. I donít know what else to say here that we donít already know except that this bike completely rips downhill and encourages you to ride like a total hooligan when things get steep and fast.
    Hope this initial review is helpful to anybody interested in this bike if you have any questions let me know, now get out and shred.
    Thanks Shredmonkey you got me stoked.thats for sure.

mtbr member
    Reading all of this and beeing 6'4" I feel like I better wait for a test ride with my incompetent LBS Sounds like S3 might still be on the short side for me.
    My buddy is like 6í5Ē and the only bikes that would seem to fit him would be the Pole Evolink or YT Capra 29 XXL.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wait for an S4 size. It'll come.

Thanks for the updates Monkey. Can't wait to get mine but it could be another 3 months knowing Specialized Canada.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Iíve got a few questions about the bike and your experience.
    Were you able to ride the new SJ LT for comparison to this? Iím curious as to how they compare.
    What kind of engagement comes on the rear hub and is it upgradeable? Once you get used to a high engagement hub, itís hard to go back so Iím wondering if Iíll have to add that to my list of short term upgrades.
    Do you plan on flipping the chip into low setting to see how it feels? Sounds like a higher percentage of people preferred the chip in the high setting on the other SJís.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Now then...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-img_0064.jpg  

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-img_0065.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    Now then...
    So you upgraded to a coil shock right out of the box? Did you try the stock shock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So you upgraded to a coil shock right out of the box? Did you try the stock shock?
    I wish! (wasn't trying to infer that it was my bike) It was on the Ohlins stand at a race this weekend (also has Ohlins forks on it). Looked amazing, guessing S2 as it actually felt pretty short when I sat on it.

mtbr member
    Iíve got a few questions about the bike and your experience.
    Were you able to ride the new SJ LT for comparison to this? Iím curious as to how they compare.
    What kind of engagement comes on the rear hub and is it upgradeable? Once you get used to a high engagement hub, itís hard to go back so Iím wondering if Iíll have to add that to my list of short term upgrades.
    Do you plan on flipping the chip into low setting to see how it feels? Sounds like a higher percentage of people preferred the chip in the high setting on the other SJís.
    I did a parking lot demo and hit some mini dirt jumps behind the shop on the LT when they first came in. It was just too similar to my 17 stumpy expert w/ 160 fork I was already riding. The trails I ride most most often demand more that a trail bike if you really want to tear it up. They are steep and rattle your teeth most of the way down. Its actually annoying sometimes as would kill to ride some buffed out flow tracks. Anyway, I canít directly compare to the 2019 LT but I did not want to spend $4000+ to feel out gunned on the downs again.

Engagement is mediocre but I can live with it for the price and the other parts more than make up for it. Upgradable? Not sure.
    Flipping to hi mode was strictly for B.B. height pedal strike relief but I gotta say the 64degree H.A. Feels great. I am super excited to switch to low mode for lift access days.

mtbr member
    I picked up an Evo 29er in s2 size and took it for it's first ride yesterday. I'm 5'10 and my 130mm trail bike has a 467 reach, so I was worried the S2 size would feel cramped. It's not at all and I instantly felt at home on it. I put it in "high" mode to start and I was blown away by how well it pedals. The shocks firm mode works great! The only time I had issues while climbing was on steep switchbacks. The long wheelbase and slack angle makes it a bit more work. I didnt notice the front wonder at all though. Very surprising.

I took the bike down a flowy blue trail with lots of tight turns, followed by a technical double black. This is my first 29er full suspension, and I'm blown away about how well the bike corners. I was able to rail corners I normally have brake on with my 27.5 bikes. On the double black trail it barely broke a sweat. The front tire is way out there and it handle steeps without any issues. Seriously felt like a DH bike. The most surprising aspect was how playful it is. I was able to change lines and pop off stuff without an issue. The wheels did make a lot of noise thru the rough and they will probably be my first upgrade. They held up fine, but something lighter with more engagement would be nice. I can live with it for now.
    Like others, I set up my suspension based off theFox chart, but I only used 2/3 my travel, even though I was riding a trail I normally bottom out a time or two. I can wait to adjust it and give it another go.
    20 SJ Evo 29, 17 Whyte T130, 18 Giant Glory Advanced

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Reading these real world reviews are getting me excited to try this bike out. Going to demo one from my LBS soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I picked up an Evo 29er in s2 size and took it for it's first ride yesterday. I'm 5'10 and my 130mm trail bike has a 467 reach, so I was worried the S2 size would feel cramped. It's not at all and I instantly felt at home on it. I put it in "high" mode to start and I was blown away by how well it pedals. The shocks firm mode works great! The only time I had issues while climbing was on steep switchbacks. The long wheelbase and slack angle makes it a bit more work. I didnt notice the front wonder at all though. Very surprising.

I took the bike down a flowy blue trail with lots of tight turns, followed by a technical double black. This is my first 29er full suspension, and I'm blown away about how well the bike corners. I was able to rail corners I normally have brake on with my 27.5 bikes. On the double black trail it barely broke a sweat. The front tire is way out there and it handle steeps without any issues. Seriously felt like a DH bike. The most surprising aspect was how playful it is. I was able to change lines and pop off stuff without an issue. The wheels did make a lot of noise thru the rough and they will probably be my first upgrade. They held up fine, but something lighter with more engagement would be nice. I can live with it for now.
    Like others, I set up my suspension based off theFox chart, but I only used 2/3 my travel, even though I was riding a trail I normally bottom out a time or two. I can wait to adjust it and give it another go.
    What psi did you end up for your fork and shock for your weight? I went off the recommendation from the specialized website and it was a little harsh.

mtbr member
    I went by the sag gauge in the rear, which was about 210psi or so, and the fork was set at 70psi. Tonight I'm trying 200 psi rear and 60 front. I never really go by sag %, I lower the pressure until Im using all my travel several times a ride, then add spacers so it ramps quicker and I only bottom hard on big hits.
    I havent been on Fox suspension since 2011 so it will take a little time to figure it all out. I'm also around 170 geared up.

I'm with stupid
    Mine needs to hurry up and get here!

mtbr member
    I rode mine on steep double black tech trails last night and learned a lot. I dropped my fork down to 60psi and it was just about perfect. I ran the shock at 200psi and it was very plush and ate up the rough but I bottomed out hard several time. The O-ring showed I havent used all the shock though so I though something might be wrong. When I got home I let all the air out of the shock and it turns out you dont use the last 10mm of the shaft. Most shocks I've had you can knock the O-ring off on big hits. My sag was set proper, so that means I'll need to add some volume spacers to ramp up the end stroke. I'll do that before my next ride.
    On steep sections the bike handles as well, if not better than my DH bike. The big 29er wheels combined with the slack headtube drops into stuff I would normally only attempt on the DH bike. Not once did I feel it was going to go over the bars. So much fun!
    The trails we rode require a 5 mile climb with an elevation gain of over 2500ft, and i am still blown away by how well this bike pedals. Climbing with the big heavy wheels and tires is a bit more work, but not a huge difference from my shorter travel bike. The steep seat tube angle give you a nice upright positions and places you right over the pedals. Makes for a comfortable climbing position and i'm not hunched over at all. The SJ Evo is definitely not a shuttle only bike. You can easily earn your turns.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wait till the carbon version is released. It'll make the standard bike seem pretty pointless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Mr Lynch - So you went from a large Whyte T130 to an S2 29er? Im the same height as you (maybe a fraction taller) and after a lot of thinking time on geometrygeeks comparing the two I *think* i'd definitely pick the S3.

I'd love to hear your back to back comparison compared to the T130! I love my Whyte, but next time round I want a little more travel, longer chainstays and something that can handle enduro racing/big mountain trips without being way overbiked on the tamer local stuff... The 150/140 on the Evo looks ideal combined with the bigger wheels...

mtbr member
    Wait till the carbon version is released. It'll make the standard bike seem pretty pointless.
    Whatís wrong with aluminum?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I asked the guys running the Specialized stand about this last weekend. They said the carbon Evo had been canned, they don't see it selling in enough numbers to justify.

mtbr member
    On paper the SJ Evo S2 is 22mm shorter reach wise than my T130, but it doesnt feel cramped at all. I was torn between an S2 and S3, but I figured with the larger wheel, slacker HT angle and long wheelbase there would still be plenty of bike out front. With the S3 I feel it would be more difficult to get weight over the front tire on mellower stuff, resulting loss of traction if your not riding real aggressive.
    I'm running a 140 fork on my T130, so that reduced the reach by about 5mm, and I'm running a 40mm stem on the T130 instead of the stock 50mm, so fitment is very similar between the bikes. The SJ Evo has a nice low BB and stack, just like the T130, so it was almost instantly comfortable. With the SJ Evo I've ridden some gnarly stuff, hit some big jumps and drops and I havent once thought "I need more room, should have got the S3".
    The SJ Evo reminds me a lot of the T130, where the proper geo (atleast to me) more than makes up for the shorter travel and gives you the added benefit of a bike that is more responsive and agile when needed, not just a big plow horse like the other LT 29ers I tried (Wreckoning, Sentinel, Enduro). I'm going to hang onto my WHyte T130 for a bit as that bike is just too much fun, and I feel the SJ Evo is a perfect compliment to it for times you need a bit more travel and capability. This weekend I'll be taking the SJ Evo to my local jump park to see how it compares to the T130.
    I used to be a carbon bike snob, but I really had no issue going with an aluminum frame. The big tires really negate a lot of the dampening benefits you get with carbon, it's generally $1000 cheaper for an Aluminum frame vs a carbon frame. That's money I can use for a nicer wheelset or other upgrades. I also LOVE the raw brushed aluminum, its pretty hard to beat. That being said, if an Evo frame is released in carbon with SWAT, I'd be very tempted...

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nothing. But people are blinded by the allure of composites.

Edit: Ahh I think you thought I meant the aluminum Evo. I think the non Evo Stumpy will be pointless if they'd released a carbon Evo.

As you could see above, there are only plus sides to the geo.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    I asked the guys running the Specialized stand about this last weekend. They said the carbon Evo had been canned, they don't see it selling in enough numbers to justify.
    That's a real shame. A friend at the launch said it was definitely going to happen. Hopefully demand for the bike will change their minds.

mtbr member
    The problem with most aluminum completes is that they come with crap parts. High end builds on alloy frames are rare these days. This evo is one of the best builds and values available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    The problem with most aluminum completes is that they come with crap parts. High end builds on alloy frames are rare these days. This evo is one of the best builds and values available.
    True. We need a frame only option!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    True. We need a frame only option!!!

mtbr member
    A frame only option was listed with a price of TBD during the launch, but it wasn't available when I ordered mine. My LBS is one of the largest spesh dealer in the west and he was shocked he got one. The rep said they didnt make too many. Not sure how true that is.

mtbr member
    So looks like the hubs are specialized Hilo so unfortunately not upgradable internals. Spinning the cranks backwards reveals about 21 points of engagement.
    Also found out the fork came with three spacers from the factory. Going to try one spacer and go back up to 70-75psi and see how it feels. Rear feels good at 200psi on todayís ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a carbon 2017 SJ and a carbon 2014 Evo SJ and I have them set up slightly differently, but literally ride the heck out of one or the other- or both- several times a week. However along the way I bought a Chisel Expert for some hardtail fun (I have had about 20 Stumpjumpers- including hardtails and full suspension through the years). I upgraded the wheelset, bars, seatpost...
    ...but anyway after riding this aluminum Chisel I have decided that I would love to see Specialized offer some high end parts on aluminum full suspension SJ's. To me the carbon thing may have been just a crafty method of extracting extra cash from buyers as much as a real advantage. That damn Chisel rides like a DREAM! It is very hard to convince anyone of this special nature of what seems an ordinary hardtail, you just have to get on the bike and ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rakerdeal View Post
    I have a carbon 2017 SJ and a carbon 2014 Evo SJ and I have them set up slightly differently, but literally ride the heck out of one or the other- or both- several times a week. However along the way I bought a Chisel Expert for some hardtail fun (I have had about 20 Stumpjumpers- including hardtails and full suspension through the years). I upgraded the wheelset, bars, seatpost...
    ...but anyway after riding this aluminum Chisel I have decided that I would love to see Specialized offer some high end parts on aluminum full suspension SJ's. To me the carbon thing may have been just a crafty method of extracting extra cash from buyers as much as a real advantage. That damn Chisel rides like a DREAM! It is very hard to convince anyone of this special nature of what seems an ordinary hardtail, you just have to get on the bike and ride it.
    It would be interesting to ride 2 comparably equipped bikes with the only difference being a carbon frame. There would be a weight difference but Iíd assume that would be about it. Iíd love it if specialized would sell an aluminum bike with higher end components that way Iím not having to immediately start swapping parts. Iíd love a high end wheel set stock.

I'm with stupid
    It would be interesting to ride 2 comparably equipped bikes with the only difference being a carbon frame. There would be a weight difference but Iíd assume that would be about it. Iíd love it if specialized would sell an aluminum bike with higher end components that way Iím not having to immediately start swapping parts. Iíd love a high end wheel set stock.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/duelling-k...inal-verdicts/

mtbr member
    I picked up a set of air volume spacers and opened up the DPX2 that came on my S2 Evo 29. The issue I was having was at proper sag I was bottoming out often. Upping the air takes away some of the small bump compliance and its not an ideal option.
    When I popped the can off I found it already had the 2nd largest volume spacer installed. I replaced it with the largest one and went for a ride. It was pretty spot on for me. I ran the same PSI as before I was able to use all my travel without any harsh bottom outs. I'm 170lbs, so I could the shock not being ideal for guys 200lb+. You'll have to run a much higher pressure with less sag, which will harshen up the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Thatís about what I expected. Mostly just too close to call between the 2.

Side note, went by my LBS today to see what they had in stock and they had an S3 EVO and boy was it pretty. No S2ís though.
    They did say they are getting some Comp LTís in with NX Eagle drivetrains since people want the Eagle but donít need the other high end components.

I'm with stupid
    I am really hoping my LBS calls me before friday and says mine is here. Im spending the weekend at trestle bike park and would love to rock the new bike there.

mtbr member
    He does a pretty good comparison of carbon vs aluminum, although mid priced vs high end but close enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pGYU1ld9G4
    2020 SC Hightower v2
    2019 Spec. Stumpjumper
    2018 SC Hightower v1
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2004 Spec. Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakerdeal View Post
    If you like your Chisel, ride a carbon Epic HT - essentially the exact same bike/geo except lighter weight carbon. Itís a very noticeable difference. I rode my Epic and a Chisel back to back multiple times and the Epic won hands down. Carbon is the real deal.
    Same goes for Stumpy IMO. Now some may just want alloy for its impact strength - I get that.

mtbr member
    Just noticed the 27.5 is now live on the specialized website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone get a chance to ride or parking lot pedal the 27.5 vs 29 yet? Wonder why the 27.5 version has such a larger reach.

Anyone going win 27.5 version?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

S4 size ?

Wait for an S4 size. It'll come.

Thanks for the updates Monkey. Can't wait to get mine but it could be another 3 months knowing Specialized Canada.
    Why do you think S4 will come? Do you maybe also have some information as to when ?

Thanks for the answer
    I love that bike but it might be mi current bike will not survive so long

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    Anyone get a chance to ride or parking lot pedal the 27.5 vs 29 yet? Wonder why the 27.5 version has such a larger reach.

Anyone going win 27.5 version?
    I got a 27.5 S3 a few days ago and took it to Thunder Mountain up in Charlemont Mass today. I'm in love with this bike. I rented a Santa Cruz nomad A specialized demo and a Yeti 5.5 in the last week or so. I feel this bike is more fun and just has a more Rowdy feel which I like. I'm only 5:10 but my good friend that works at the bike shop suggested the S3 I think he was spot-on with that. The bike feels really good and I was comfortable on it from the get-go. The brakes are amazing in the bike gets Airborne really easily which I like. I think I had the bike set up a little too firm in the front and tire pressure so will be dialing that in as the days go on but as a first impression I'm totally psyched. And I got to say I love the low price tag on this bike in relation to high-end carbon stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roadandtrail View Post
    I got a 27.5 S3 a few days ago and took it to Thunder Mountain up in Charlemont Mass today. I'm in love with this bike. I rented a Santa Cruz nomad A specialized demo and a Yeti 5.5 in the last week or so. I feel this bike is more fun and just has a more Rowdy feel which I like. I'm only 5:10 but my good friend that works at the bike shop suggested the S3 I think he was spot-on with that. The bike feels really good and I was comfortable on it from the get-go. The brakes are amazing in the bike gets Airborne really easily which I like. I think I had the bike set up a little too firm in the front and tire pressure so will be dialing that in as the days go on but as a first impression I'm totally psyched. And I got to say I love the low price tag on this bike in relation to high-end carbon stuff.
    Dude. Rad. Glad youíre stoked on it. Iím leaning towards 27.5 too. How did it compared specifically to the Nomad? Or the 5.5 going down hill and smashing rocks? Shorter travel, but more aggressive head angle can it handle the gnar pretty similarly? Looking to set it up kind of like a mini DH bike. With a 160 or maybe even 170 fork. Putting the head angle right around 63.

5í 7Ē and Iím going S2 I think. S3 sounds bonkers with the 490 reach.

Are you riding it with the stock stem?

I also love how relatively inexpensive it is compared to other bikes. Funny how weíve been conditions to think this is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

I finally got my long awaited 27.5 S2. A big change from the large enduro 29er from 2015. Iíve ridden it a few days at the local skills park and have been dialing in the adjustments. Initially ran it in the high setting but I felt it came to life in the low setting. Finally the long, low and slack bike Iíve been waiting for...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Sweet! Can't wait for some ride reviews!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyLo View Post

I finally got my long awaited 27.5 S2. A big change from the large enduro 29er from 2015. Iíve ridden it a few days at the local skills park and have been dialing in the adjustments. Initially ran it in the high setting but I felt it came to life in the low setting. Finally the long, low and slack bike Iíve been waiting for...

After you get some miles in let us know your thoughts and maybe a comparison to the Enduro. Congrats 🎉 BTW!
    Edit: Mine came with 3 spacers in the fork which felt a little too harsh. Removed 2 for now but may put one more back in. Curious on your preferred fork set up. Rear felt Spot on for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Dude. Rad. Glad youíre stoked on it. Iím leaning towards 27.5 too. How did it compared specifically to the Nomad? Or the 5.5 going down hill and smashing rocks? Shorter travel, but more aggressive head angle can it handle the gnar pretty similarly? Looking to set it up kind of like a mini DH bike. With a 160 or maybe even 170 fork. Putting the head angle right around 63.

5í 7Ē and Iím going S2 I think. S3 sounds bonkers with the 490 reach.

Are you riding it with the stock stem?

I also love how relatively inexpensive it is compared to other bikes. Funny how weíve been conditions to think this is cheap.

Yep stock stem stock everything. Basically picked it up set the seat height and brought it to Thunder Mountain. I'm actually amazed how great this bike felt right out of the box with virtually no tuning. Now I'll be fooling around with the spacers and suspension tuning. My buddy described this bike well by saying that due to its geometry and actually Less travel than say a nomad it will be more fun on the jump trails and Gnar. And I got to say he was pretty spot-on. The Nomad felt more plush. But the Evo has not been tuned yet and I got to say it's more fun. This bike is crazy good and have a hard time thinking what could be better at this price point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just rode one in a parking lot and am thinking this may be a race bike if trimmed down. Went in thinking sb150...

Does anyone know what the 29íweighs in at?

Forgot to ask at shop. After looking I know I can only trim a pound or 2 after add dh tires, but man. It feels like you could be such a moron on it.

:thumbsup: believe in yourself! I believe in you! :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Just rode one in a parking lot and am thinking this may be a race bike if trimmed down. Went in thinking sb150...

Forgot to ask at shop. After looking I know I can only trim a pound or 2 after add dh tires, but man. It feels like you could be such a moron on it.

My S2 29er is ~33lbs or 14.9kgs but the way it pedals and handles feels substantially lighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Until the SB150 was just announced I was 95% sold on this EVO and now Iím truly torn between the 2. I can almost buy 2 EVOís for the price of 1 SB150 but they are both really enticing. Going to have to demo both of them and see how they feel. Decisions!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Until the SB150 was just announced I was 95% sold on this EVO and now Iím truly torn between the 2. I can almost buy 2 EVOís for the price of 1 SB150 but they are both really enticing. Going to have to demo both of them and see how they feel. Decisions!
    Yeah. The SB150 threw a wrench in thinking too. But for the price of an Sb150 you can get a EVO swap wheels and cassette to drop nearly 2.5-3 lbs. And also pick up a ST trail bike.

The reviews say the SB150 climbs like a short travel but not sure I believe it. Yeti seems to be defying physics.

Iíd think a EVO with a 160 Airshaft could run with the SB150 easy.

Do let us know what you think after demoing.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yeah. The SB150 threw a wrench in thinking too. But for the price of an Sb150 you can get a EVO swap wheels and cassette to drop nearly 2.5-3 lbs. And also pick up a ST trail bike.

The reviews say the SB150 climbs like a short travel but not sure I believe it. Yeti seems to be defying physics.

Iíd think a EVO with a 160 Airshaft could run with the SB150 easy.

Do let us know what you think after demoing.

Hard to compare, similar geo. But one is carbon super bike, one is aluminum with budget components. Not really fair fight. Yeti is cool, but several of my friends have had them, all have multiple carbon frame failures. One had his chainstay, break three times in one year. Bike was useless for a year straight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    Hard to compare, similar geo. But one is carbon super bike, one is aluminum with budget components. Not really fair fight. Yeti is cool, but several of my friends have had them, all have multiple carbon frame failures. One had his chainstay, break three times in one year. Bike was useless for a year straight.

Been off the Specialized train for a while. Just didnít like the way Horst link bikes required the extensive use of the climbing switch to not feel like a slog. Digging how the stumpy is way more progressive now. But the pedal platform on these dual link style bikes like the Yeti makes them feel super snappy for the travel they have.

Evo is suppose to be even more progressive.

Trying to do the 1 quiver thing including riding normal XC-ish stuff to park bike.

I was thinking EVO + used set of a Roval Carbon Wheels, X01 Cassette, Carbon Bars.

Not that far off a GX SB150 build spec wise.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is there going to be a carbon version?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hey guys ,

Thought I would add my first impressions after five rides and still getting my suspension dialled. Size S3

Rider: 6í2Ē 230lbs inseam 33Ē
    Experience: intermediate- advanced 15 years riding, DH background
    Current bike: Process 111 custom build
    Previous bikes: nomad, reign, genius and a bunch of other Dh bikes

Changes: switched bar/stem/grips and threw on my X2 pedals, magic Mary up front and purgatory grid on th back

Visual: clean welds, raw looks much better in person than expected
    Weight approx 34 lbs

Climbing: better than expected and significantly better than the process 111. Seat tube angle is relatively steep so itís a comfortable position to spin away to the top. Definitely hides itís weight when climbing but due to relatively centralized weight you do have to change you body position on steep tech to stop from losing traction.
    No unwanted front end wander which is surprising given the slack HTA, I have more issues with my process which is about 65.5.

Descending: given the geo numbers I expected to be a bit overwhelmed size and handling wise before getting used to it but it actually was the opposite the bike felt very neutral and there wasnít really any oh shit moments on the first few rides. The bike is calm in rough and feels slightly plusher than expected for a 150mm bike but it definitely isnít a plow bike.

Yes it does take a bit more effort to manual with the longer chainstays but not abnormally so and it is an excellent jumper.

I need more time on it but my overall impression is itís calm, neutral and a solid feeling bike that doesnít show its progressive geo as much as expected. That being said I havenít run it in the low setting yet.

Pros:

- solid feel and quiet
    - everything stock works as expected
    -neutral and not overwhelming given the numbers
    - with a few upgrades the weight could be bought down easily

Cons:

- could do with a longer drop seat post
    - POE on the hubs suck itís a struggle after having i9ís
    - pedal strikes - a lot of them!! Definitely need to change to 165mm cranks
    - seat is not for me

Hopefully some useful info and plenty of upgrades in mind for the future once my bank account recovers

mtbr member
    That's a pretty spot on review!
    I still havent got the Fox suspension to feel right, so that may be swapped out real soon. I'll tinker for a bit more and see if I can get it right.

I took my Evo s2 to the local bike park to see how it jumps. My regular bike is a Whyte T130 which is a 130mm 27.5 bike with 420mm stays and a 65 degree HT angle and it jumps amazing. I was worried the 29er Evo would feel a little sluggish in comparison. The Evo's performance blew me away. It jumps just as well as the Whyte, and while it is heavier and a bit more work to move around, it wasnt the pig I thought it would be. After 20 minutes I was totally comfortable with the Evo. It's very poppy, insanely fast and stable and best of all it is consistent and predictable.

My original plan was to keep both bikes, but the Evo does a lot of things as good if not better than the shorter travel T130, that I'll probably sell the T130 and upgrade the Evo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Troysks View Post
    Hey guys ,

Thought I would add my first impressions after five rides and still getting my suspension dialled. Size S3

Rider: 6í2Ē 230lbs inseam 33Ē
    Experience: intermediate- advanced 15 years riding, DH background
    Current bike: Process 111 custom build
    Previous bikes: nomad, reign, genius and a bunch of other Dh bikes

Changes: switched bar/stem/grips and threw on my X2 pedals, magic Mary up front and purgatory grid on th back

Visual: clean welds, raw looks much better in person than expected
    Weight approx 34 lbs

Climbing: better than expected and significantly better than the process 111. Seat tube angle is relatively steep so itís a comfortable position to spin away to the top. Definitely hides itís weight when climbing but due to relatively centralized weight you do have to change you body position on steep tech to stop from losing traction.
    No unwanted front end wander which is surprising given the slack HTA, I have more issues with my process which is about 65.5.

Descending: given the geo numbers I expected to be a bit overwhelmed size and handling wise before getting used to it but it actually was the opposite the bike felt very neutral and there wasnít really any oh shit moments on the first few rides. The bike is calm in rough and feels slightly plusher than expected for a 150mm bike but it definitely isnít a plow bike.

Yes it does take a bit more effort to manual with the longer chainstays but not abnormally so and it is an excellent jumper.

I need more time on it but my overall impression is itís calm, neutral and a solid feeling bike that doesnít show its progressive geo as much as expected. That being said I havenít run it in the low setting yet.

Pros:

- solid feel and quiet
    - everything stock works as expected
    -neutral and not overwhelming given the numbers
    - with a few upgrades the weight could be bought down easily

Cons:

- could do with a longer drop seat post
    - POE on the hubs suck itís a struggle after having i9ís
    - pedal strikes - a lot of them!! Definitely need to change to 165mm cranks
    - seat is not for me

Hopefully some useful info and plenty of upgrades in mind for the future once my bank account recovers
    Did you get the 29 or 27.5?

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    I wonder if a 63.5į HA is already too slack for general riding, even a downhillbike is considerably steeper since a 200mm fork sags much more than a 150mm fork

I did slacken the headangle on my 2015 Giant Trance to 65į and while the change is mostly considered a positive one I also noticed the fork to act less sensible and instead flex more, especially when jumping into the flat.

Specialized had the balls to release a rather unique bike here since it isn't only super slack but has super long chainstays too which is shit for manuals but should help prevent front tire washouts and balance the wheel weight distribution better. It's still up to debate if they've gone too far (like they did with 3.0" tires on 45mm rims in 2016) or if this is the shape of things to come in the next 5 years?

Loam_Shame
    Feb 2013
    all trail to enduro bikes will have H/A below 65, over 440 stays, low BB, long reach and sta around 78 degrees.... 2020 or 2021. There are no downsides. Mountain bike geo basically came from road bikes and slowly changing in the right direction. The incremental changes are really silly.

mtbr member
    I wonder if a 63.5į HA is already too slack for general riding, even a downhillbike is considerably steeper since a 200mm fork sags much more than a 150mm fork

I did slacken the headangle on my 2015 Giant Trance to 65į and while the change is mostly considered a positive one I also noticed the fork to act less sensible and instead flex more, especially when jumping into the flat.

Specialized had the balls to release a rather unique bike here since it isn't only super slack but has super long chainstays too which is shit for manuals but should help prevent front tire washouts and balance the wheel weight distribution better. It's still up to debate if they've gone too far (like they did with 3.0" tires on 45mm rims in 2016) or if this is the shape of things to come in the next 5 years?
    Itís not the bike for everyone, but if you read the reviews above clearly it wasnít a mistake.

I really want to try it. Since my ďgeneral ridingĒ consists of steep and fast, steep and loamy, and steep and rough. Iíve ridden a Sentinel which is 64 degrees HTA and I really liked it. Will probably get one unless I like the EVO better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreDude View Post
    Mountain bike geo basically came from road bikes and slowly changing in the right direction. The incremental changes are really silly.
    I agree. My dirt bike has a 64 degree HTA and I believe they have had very similar geo for decades. You would think the mountain bike industry could have gotten to that point sooner instead of changing new standards/trends every year along the way.

mtbr member
    You would think the mountain bike industry could have gotten to that point sooner instead of changing new standards/trends every year along the way.
    The industry could have - but they would not have been able to make bundles of money that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreDude View Post
    There are no downsides.
    oh yes there are. How many people will buy a slow steering, sluggish feeling bike? The normal Stumpjumper will probably outsell the EVO by 10:1 or more and I actually think it's the better bike for the majority of riders due to the more neutral handling.

The advantage of a slacker headangle can only be felt when going really fast or in steep terrain whereas the downsides are obvious everywhere else. There's no doubt that at a certain point the negative effects start to outweigh the positives and going slacker and longer can only be leveraged by a minority of truly skilled riders. Like with handlebar width there's the concept of marginal utility.

That makes me wonder how the Stumpjumper EVO compares against a Specialized Enduro

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Forgot to add that itís the 29er

mtbr member
    There are no downsides.
    oh yes there are.
    There are no down sides on bikes made to be ridden aggressively by skilled riders.

mtbr member
    oh yes there are. How many people will buy a slow steering, sluggish feeling bike? The normal Stumpjumper will probably outsell the EVO by 10:1 or more and I actually think it's the better bike for the majority of riders due to the more neutral handling.

The advantage of a slacker headangle can only be felt when going really fast or in steep terrain whereas the downsides are obvious everywhere else. There's no doubt that at a certain point the negative effects start to outweigh the positives and going slacker and longer can only be leveraged by a minority of truly skilled riders. Like with handlebar width there's the concept of marginal utility.

That makes me wonder how the Stumpjumper EVO compares against a Specialized Enduro
    Its not just a slack H.A. That makes a bike. With this new style geo including steep STA, longer reach, and a reduced offset fork it seems greater than the sum of its parts. Iíd argue that a slack HA is also very advantageous for climbing as well. A slight shift of weight to the rear and my front tire floats up over step ups and it relieves the issue of during steep punchy tech climb having that one stupid rock chock your front wheel and stop your momentum. Basically I think it has the same advantage going down as it does going up while the downside is so minimal itís barely even noticeable except on maybe the tightest of switchbacks and at the slowest of speeds.
    BTW the bike does not feel ďsluggishĒ to me at all.

mtbr member
    If anybody has concerns as I did about the lower end rhythm fork the performance is adequate. The good news is for those wanting more my lbs checked with the Fox rep and you should be able to swap out to the Grip2 damper. Im concidering this when it comes time for fork service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If anybody has concerns as I did about the lower end rhythm fork the performance is adequate. The good news is for those wanting more my lbs checked with the Fox rep and you should be able to swap out to the Grip2 damper. Im concidering this when it comes time for fork service.
    Interesting. I called Fox and they told me the opposite. Swapping to the GRIP2 damper is not possible and the Rhythm fork uses a different air spring so changing the travel is not possible with the standard 36 air shaft.

I would love a second confirmation as would be killer to be able to get the GRIP2 damper.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Interesting. I called Fox and they told me the opposite. Swapping to the GRIP2 damper is not possible and the Rhythm fork uses a different air spring so changing the travel is not possible with the standard 36 air shaft.

I would love a second confirmation as would be killer to be able to get the GRIP2 damper.

Not looking to change the travel at all, just swap the damper which should work as long as the threading is the same but that sucks if it is not upgradable. More research is needed I guess.
    As a reminder to anyone purchasing the EVO to explicitly tell your shop to leave plenty of steertube length above the stem as it has a super short steertube height if you might to upgrade the fork leaving the rhythm usable for bikes with taller steertubes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    A big thank you to those who have purchased this bike and taken the time to write about it.

I've got an s3 29 on order, and can't wait until it comes in!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For the same money you could get a custom avalanche. Id recommend at least considering it.

36 fit4 came on my 5.5. Preferred RC2 but Im a fiddler to the point of changing it up between stages on pretty similar terrain. Always searching for better.

Got an avalanche cart after debating and right at the time the grip2 came out.

First ride in the mountains on the ava cart and I thought it was good, definitely could tell I had more front end traction.

Fast forward 2 weeks, my air cartridge was Fíd 2 days before a trip to race the same mountain (angel fire) and I didnít have time to fix it. I bought a 44 offset grip 2. Set it up as close in feel as I could to what I had.

The grip 2 was good, better than RC2, but when charging rock gardens and in chundery blown out corners there was a noticeable difference in front end stability. In those conditions, which is Where it really counts for me, the ava cart was head & shoulders better.

Ive been thinking about getting an evo as a park bike and maybe for the rougher steeper enduroís. All it really needs is a lighter cassette, tougher wheels, dh tires and for sure Id be swapping the fork cartridge to an avalanche (and making it 160 up front).

That said, the grip damper is really good. I wouldnít spend money on a grip 2. Either full custom or stick with grip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not looking to change the travel at all, just swap the damper which should work as long as the threading is the same but that sucks if it is not upgradable. More research is needed I guess.
    As a reminder to anyone purchasing the EVO to explicitly tell your shop to leave plenty of steertube length above the stem as it has a super short steertube height if you might to upgrade the fork leaving the rhythm usable for bikes with taller steertubes.
    Yeah. Thatís what I called them for. They said no on the GRIP2 swap. Sucks.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    For the same money you could get a custom avalanche. Id recommend at least considering it.

36 fit4 came on my 5.5. Preferred RC2 but Im a fiddler to the point of changing it up between stages on pretty similar terrain. Always searching for better.

Got an avalanche cart after debating and right at the time the grip2 came out.

First ride in the mountains on the ava cart and I thought it was good, definitely could tell I had more front end traction.

Fast forward 2 weeks, my air cartridge was Fíd 2 days before a trip to race the same mountain (angel fire) and I didnít have time to fix it. I bought a 44 offset grip 2. Set it up as close in feel as I could to what I had.

The grip 2 was good, better than RC2, but when charging rock gardens and in chundery blown out corners there was a noticeable difference in front end stability. In those conditions, which is Where it really counts for me, the ava cart was head & shoulders better.

Ive been thinking about getting an evo as a park bike and maybe for the rougher steeper enduroís. All it really needs is a lighter cassette, tougher wheels, dh tires and for sure Id be swapping the fork cartridge to an avalanche (and making it 160 up front).

That said, the grip damper is really good. I wouldnít spend money on a grip 2. Either full custom or stick with grip.

Talked to Ava too. They are not sure the there cartridge works with the Rhythm 36 yet. They havenít had one in the shock. The Rhythm 34 needed some custom stuff to make it work. So they canít confirm if the 36 cart will work in the Rhythm. Fox said there Float 36 stuff is not interchangeable with there Rhythm stuff. I wonder if itís all for lock in and getting you to buy another fork instead. Probably.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member

With a 160 on the EVO maybe consider 650b uppers so you can go with 37mm offset. Thatís what Keene was running on his XL Stumpy at the Northstar Enduro last weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    With a 160 on the EVO maybe consider 650b uppers so you can go with 37mm offset. Thatís what Keene was running on his XL Stumpy at the Northstar Enduro last weekend.
    Interesting. He was running 37mm offset on 29. That is super short. Crazy.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    I did a 20 mile ride on the Evo yesterday. I swapped bikes with my buddy who has a brand new Jeffsy Pro 27.5, and even though the Jeffsy is 6lbs lighter, the Evo pedals and climbs better. We were both surprised.
    After a bunch of rides I've got a good feel for the bike. It's definitely not a plush plow sled. It just begs to go fast and skip over stuff vs. plowing thru it. Line changes are easy and the bike jumps amazing. As well as any bike I owned.
    I have many upgrades on the way which should make for a great all round bike.
    Compared to the standard SJ, the Evo feels so much more planted and faster with it's low center of gravity. The standard is much taller. I also tried a new Enduro and I wasnt a fan of how tall the bike is, and it is way too plush for my liking. It sucks on mellow sections of trail and its like beating a rented rule around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I did a 20 mile ride on the Evo yesterday. I swapped bikes with my buddy who has a brand new Jeffsy Pro 27.5, and even though the Jeffsy is 6lbs lighter, the Evo pedals and climbs better. We were both surprised.
    After a bunch of rides I've got a good feel for the bike. It's definitely not a plush plow sled. It just begs to go fast and skip over stuff vs. plowing thru it. Line changes are easy and the bike jumps amazing. As well as any bike I owned.
    Compared to the standard SJ, the Evo feels so much more planted and faster with it's low center of gravity. The standard is much taller. I also tried a new Enduro and I wasnt a fan of how tall the bike is, and it is way too plush for my liking. It sucks on mellow sections of trail and its like beating a rented rule around.
    Would you say that owning a regular Stumpjumper LT 29 set in high as a Trail/XC bike and a EVO 29 as a Trail/Enduro bike would be too much overlap? Would the EVO built up with lighter parts and build make it so you never grab the LT after youíve ridden both?

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    For me personally, I'm selling my short travel bike and just keeping my Evo and my aggressive hardtail.
    I could see maybe having and SJ ST and an Evo in different wheel sizes, but and LT and an Evo would be a bit redundant.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    For me personally, I'm selling my short travel bike and just keeping my Evo and my aggressive hardtail.
    I could see maybe having and SJ ST and an Evo in different wheel sizes, but and LT and an Evo would be a bit redundant.
    Thanks for your advice! The Stumpjumper LT geo does seems super conservative. Going to go with the EVO!

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Are you running it in the high or low position? Have you tried both and if so, what position do you like more?

mtbr member
    I've been running it in high mode. I havent felt the need to use it in low as most my ride have been pedal up type and I'm still fiddling with the shock trying to get it to feel right. I do have a shuttle day coming up so im going to try it in low for that.

mtbr member
    Ordered an Evo 29 S3 last week. Specialized is out of stock according to my LBS and it will hopefully come back into stock sometime this month. Fingers crossed that I can get one.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast