Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread

Super excited about this bike and looking for any Solid info on a release date or if anybody had has ridden it,or thoughts in general on Specialized finally dipping their toes into more ďprogressiveĒ geometry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-7855fb52-2272-4097-b7b0-db3e1447b3dc.jpg  

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-a25fb150-ee96-42b8-9209-c78bfb10f5dc.jpeg  

Last edited by Shredmonkey; 05-04-2018 at 06:16 AM.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah I'm looking forward to it as well.

I think they'll sell out fast and Specialized will be kicking themselves they weren't a little more progressive with the sizing on the stock bike. Somewhere in between would have been great for everyone I think, just as a 28" wheelsize would have been

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It seems with the evo specialized is putting an experimental bike into serial production, which is cool.
    But can someone explain what the evo is exactly good for? The geometry is somewhere in enduro/demo territory, but the frame is not nearly as robust, i asume. Would i ride this in bikeparks?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The wheelbase will add stability so it'll be more composed at higher speeds. The slacker head angle will put more weight behind the front axle on steeper trails so you don't have to change body position as much and the fork will bind less. Steeper seat angle puts more rider mass forward on steep climbs which keeps the front wheel down. Longer rear centre puts the rider more central increasing front cornering grip.

The frame seems overbuilt when you look at the weights so I don't think they'll be breaking. Ignoring the marketing it'll be better everywhere for the aggressive rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by B.BL View Post
    It seems with the evo specialized is putting an experimental bike into serial production, which is cool.
    But can someone explain what the evo is exactly good for? The geometry is somewhere in enduro/demo territory, but the frame is not nearly as robust, i asume. Would i ride this in bikeparks?
    Nothing experimental about it. Mondraker, guerrilla gravity, nicolai, and transition have all been putting out out bikes with similar numbers for a while now. Specialized seems a little bit behind the curve on this one honestly. What itís good for is for the rider that wants to remain stable and in control when going down steep technical terrain at high-speeds is one scenario I can think of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Ignoring the marketing it'll be better everywhere for the aggressive rider.
    Better everywhere? Well I guess I better sell my Enduro and get one of these.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah a good friend was at the launch and said it's a monster.

Class Clown
    https://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gea...pjumper-52097/

great pic in that article of the different geo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Better everywhere? Well I guess I better sell my Enduro and get one of these.
    Well, depends if you want less travel. That said when it comes to suspension quality usually surpasses quantity. But my Enduro is 170mm/165mm front and rear so dropping to 150mm to chase a slacker head angle might be too much for me. Plus it only weighs 30lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Well, depends if you want less travel. That said when it comes to suspension quality usually surpasses quantity. But my Enduro is 170mm/165mm front and rear so dropping to 150mm to chase a slacker head angle might be too much for me. Plus it only weighs 30lbs.
    Longer chain stay nice though

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    As for a release date, I work at a Specialized dealer and we are being told August, super excited to get to ride one, just a little sad that the 29 is 15mm shorter reach than the 27.5 version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gvus2001 View Post
    As for a release date, I work at a Specialized dealer and we are being told August, super excited to get to ride one, just a little sad that the 29 is 15mm shorter reach than the 27.5 version.
    This what Iím talking about. First I heard mid June, then July, and now Gvus is saying Aug. Honestly Iím pretty happy with the numbers on the S2 29Ē. At just under 5í 10Ē lím usually in between sizes but feel solid on a spesh size L.
    Last edited by Shredmonkey; 05-04-2018 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonkey View Post
    This what Iím talking about. First I heard mid June, then July, and now Gvus is saying Aug. Honestly Iím pretty happy with the numbers on the S2 29Ē. At just under 5í 10Ē lím usually in between sizes but feel solid on a spesh size L.
    I've narrowed down my next MTB to the Stumpjumper EVO & the YT Capra 29er. If it's true that the EVO has been pushed back to Aug., then I'll have to take the plunge to grab the Capra...

But, I know that time is ticking on the Capra as well so if I delay much longer the Capra I want (Comp AL) could be pushed back or sold out (tentative delivery date is 6/27 as of now).

mtbr member
    Nothing experimental about it. Mondraker, guerrilla gravity, nicolai, and transition have all been putting out out bikes with similar numbers for a while now. Specialized seems a little bit behind the curve on this one honestly. What itís good for is for the rider that wants to remain stable and in control when going down steep technical terrain at high-speeds is one scenario I can think of.
    I disagree that they are behind the curve on this. Specialized is in a different space than the other manufacturers you mention in terms of scale so for them to push out an experiment like this is fairly forward thinking for a large company. You don't see SC/Giant/Trek/other major bike companies anywhere near this geo. If they were some small manufacturer then I would agree with you.

My local shop was told June release for the Evo earlier this week so the truth is probably that nobody is sure right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I always gave credit to Giant for being the first ones of the big three to put out a bike with LLS geo when they released the reign back in 2015. I know itís not a trail bike with those numbers but it was a pretty big leap from the previous model.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Agreed. Great numbers on those bikes. If Specialized was progressive enough to put those reach numbers on the standard bikes I'm not sure there would be much requirement for the Evo. Although I do like the longer rear centre.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I hope it sells well so they will hopefully introduce an Enduro Evo as well!

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Finally showed up on the dealer page so I put my order in. Early July apparently.

S2 29". Going to run full XX1/Roval SL's etc. Should be able to get it under 35lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Finally showed up on the dealer page so I put my order in. Early July apparently.

S2 29". Going to run full XX1/Roval SL's etc. Should be able to get it under 35lbs 藍
    Can't wait for review

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

S2 29". Going to run full XX1/Roval SL's etc. Should be able to get it under 35lbs 藍
    Frame only option?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bike only I think.

They're testing the market aren't they. One model and solid spec but no frills.

That said, it's probably the best VFM in the entire line-up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

S2 29". Going to run full XX1/Roval SL's etc. Should be able to get it under 35lbs
    Interesting, I thought there was only going to be one spec, or are you adding the drivetrain and rims separately?
    Maybe Iím being impatient but if JCL is right summer is going to be mostly over by the time anybody even gets their hands on one. I donít remember another instance of a bike being announced and then not being able to see one in person or even in the wild till months later.
    Last edited by Shredmonkey; 05-25-2018 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Whereís the Evo price point expected to be?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sage1 View Post
    Whereís the Evo price point expected to be?
    $3,600 usd.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Interesting, I thought there was only going to be one spec, or are you adding the drivetrain and rims separately?
    Maybe Iím being impatient but if JCL is right summer is going to be mostly over by the time anybody even gets their hands on one. I donít remember another instance of a bike being announced and then not being able to see one in person or even in the wild till months later.
    I honestly think it's because the standard bike was underwhelming that they had to launch the Evo at the same time. Just to add more buzz at the press camp.

Think about it. Here's the new Stumpy, it's a bit slacker and we got rid of all the stuff we've been telling you is great over the years. It also might be heavier than the old one. Not much of a story is it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I honestly think it's because the standard bike was underwhelming that they had to launch the Evo at the same time. Just to add more buzz at the press camp.

Think about it. Here's the new Stumpy, it's a bit slacker and we got rid of all the stuff we've been telling you is great over the years. It also might be heavier than the old one. Not much of a story is it?
    disagree... everything has been changed. Frame is lighter and not heavier. The tires/tubes are the things making it heavy.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Note that Specialized only said the rear end is lighter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...umpjumper.html

Frame = 100ish g
    Seat stay bridge = 100g
    Rear triangle = 550g

That's over a 1.5 lb weight savings from the previous model and being stiffer. Very significant imo.

I do hope the evo's geo filters to the Enduro.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That all sounds a bit vague. I really doubt the main frame is lighter with the threaded BB.

mtbr member
    Bike only I think.

They're testing the market aren't they. One model and solid spec but no frills.

That said, it's probably the best VFM in the entire line-up.
    what's the stock spec? I'd be happy to see gx eagle and performance elite suspension.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    GX Eagle, Codes, Grip Damper 36, DPX shock.

Under 4K. Crazy cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Talked to my LBS the other day and they said their website is saying end of June but reality is more like end of July. Iím not in the market until years end so thatís okay for me. 😉
    I am anxious to see the build specs, specifically the hubs on this thing. I hate that most of the other stumpyís use non-upgradeable internals in the hubs. Once you get used to a 72t star ratchet, going back to 18poe isnít very fun.

mtbr member
    finally 440mm chainstays but the frame may not take a 200mm dropper post due to the interrupted seattube which is a huge drawback IMO. What's the use of a super low, super slack geometry when you cannot lower the saddle enough to truly leverage the geometry?

Apart from that I'd buy it right away!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Iíve got the 14 SJ Evo with a 125mm dropper and Iíve never felt like the post needed to be able to go down any further. The idea of having another 25mm seems excessive to me but this bike obviously has different geometry.
    What body position would you be in to need 200mm of post travel? At a certain point isnít your belly almost resting on the seat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhenric View Post
    a 125mm dropper and Iíve never felt like the post needed to be able to go down any further. The idea of having another 25mm seems excessive to me
    there we go again...
    No offense but if you don't even see the need for a 150mm post in 2018 we're probably not riding on the same trail. I'm talking about instances where advanced trial technique with super low centre of gravity is used to make a difficult path rideable without crashing, there's a reason why real trial bikes have a saddle ridiculously low (to enable certain tricks)
    Google for Trial bike or watch a YouTube video to get an idea.

A friend of mine fitted a 200mm dropper in his YT Capra and even though it's only 25mm more travel than what I got he sometimes has the edge over me due to the lower center of gravity

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    there we go again...
    No offense but if you don't even see the need for a 150mm post in 2018 we're probably not riding on the same trail. I'm talking about instances where advanced trial technique with super low centre of gravity is used to make a difficult path rideable without crashing, there's a reason why real trial bikes have a saddle ridiculously low (to enable certain tricks)
    Google for Trial bike or watch a YouTube video to get an idea.

A friend of mine fitted a 200mm dropper in his YT Capra and even though it's only 25mm more travel than what I got he sometimes has the edge over me due to the lower center of gravity
    Iím not saying I donít see a need for a 150mm post. I was saying that 200 seemed excessive. Apparently Iím not going as steep as you areÖ

Why are you bringing trials bikes into the discussion? Thatís a completely different discipline, right? With a trials bike, you would just keep the seat all the way down, no need to put it up and down, right? What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Iím not saying I donít see a need for a 150mm post. I was saying that 200 seemed excessive.
    sure?

Iíve got the 14 SJ Evo with a 125mm dropper and Iíve never felt like the post needed to be able to go down any further. The idea of having another 25mm seems excessive to me
    125 + 25 = 150 = excessive?

A bike with super slack geometry enables you to ride sections which would normally make you crash but you can only fully leverage that slack headangle and long reach if you can equally keep you center of gravity low enough when needed, I'm not saying you need 200mm of dropper post all the time as you don't need a 63.5 headangle all the time but when you need it you need it

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    sure?

125 + 25 = 150 = excessive?

A bike with super slack geometry enables you to ride sections which would normally make you crash but you can only fully leverage that slack headangle and long reach if you can equally keep you center of gravity low enough when needed, I'm not saying you need 200mm of dropper post all the time as you don't need a 63.5 headangle all the time but when you need it you need it
    My bad. I just re-read what I wrote and you were right. I did say that 150 seemed excessive. I forgot I even wrote it. I rescind that comment.

On a side note, one thing I didnít take into consideration for a 150+ dropper is body sizes and, more specifically, leg length. A guy with longer legs and shorter torso would potentially need more dropper post.

mtbr member
    Iíve got the 14 SJ Evo with a 125mm dropper and Iíve never felt like the post needed to be able to go down any further. The idea of having another 25mm seems excessive to me but this bike obviously has different geometry.
    What body position would you be in to need 200mm of post travel? At a certain point isnít your belly almost resting on the seat?
    When the average grade of the trail is -40% and you are in an uncontrollable slide from top to bottom, having the largest dropper possible is nice. Also is nice for large drops/jumps.

mtbr member
    finally 440mm chainstays but the frame may not take a 200mm dropper post due to the interrupted seattube which is a huge drawback IMO. What's the use of a super low, super slack geometry when you cannot lower the saddle enough to truly leverage the geometry?

Apart from that I'd buy it right away!!
    That's a pretty big ask, how long have 200mm droppers been around? And how many frames do they actually fit?
    I think the point of super low, super slack geometry nullifies the demand to be able to fit a 200mm dropper post. Capra is basically DH Lite. Can you fit a 200mm in an Enduro? If you need your post that high, or that low, then you do what we had to do in the pre dropper days. You pick a height that's a reasonable compromise and ride it. Or you stop and adjust each time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's a pretty big ask, how long have 200mm droppers been around? And how many frames do they actually fit?
    I think the point of super low, super slack geometry nullifies the demand to be able to fit a 200mm dropper post. Capra is basically DH Lite. Can you fit a 200mm in an Enduro? If you need your post that high, or that low, then you do what we had to do in the pre dropper days. You pick a height that's a reasonable compromise and ride it. Or you stop and adjust each time.
    Thatís what I meant to say but failed to do so.

mtbr member
    a ~200mm drop was perfectly normal 20years ago when everyone just lowered their fixed seatpost on their hardtails

nowdays it almost seems one has to explain himself why he needs more than 150mm drop

if someone doesn't see the need for a 200mm dropper I don't think he can make use of a 63.5ha either

200mm dropper posts have existed at least since 2014

I don't care how many frames they fit (not many, also depending on the riders inseam) but there are enough frames that they work with already and if Specialized wants to impress me with a NEW bike in 2018 they should try harder!

mtbr member
    a ~200mm drop was perfectly normal 20years ago when everyone just lowered their fixed seatpost on their hardtails

nowdays it almost seems one has to explain himself why he needs more than 150mm drop

if someone doesn't see the need for a 200mm dropper I don't think he can make use of a 63.5ha either

200mm dropper posts have existed at least since 2014

I don't care how many frames they fit (not many, also depending on the riders inseam) but there are enough frames that they work with already and if Specialized wants to impress me with a NEW bike in 2018 they should try harder!
    200mm drops on hardtails 20 years ago wasn't a problem. No interrupted seat tubes to worry about. I'm not suggesting that length post isn't required, but there are never going to be many frames that will fit one normally. At this stage I don't mind the 65 or 66 degree angle of my bike. The Stumpy looks particularly vulnerable given where the seat tube bends.
    Actually now that I think about it, you can probably fit a big dropper in any frame. You're just gonna have a really tall seatpost.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's a 400mm seat tube. A small in most sizes.

I bet many people will be able to run 200mm droppers.

mtbr member
    the seattube length is not the culprit here but rather it's limited insertion clearance due to the bend section halfway towards the bb. Judging by the pictures a 200mm post may or may not narrowly fit even for my long legs (34.5" inseam)

It all depends on if the main rocker link is connected with the frame by two bolts from each side (like Trek Remedy) or a thru axle (like Giant Reign)

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    the seattube length is not the culprit here but rather it's limited insertion clearance due to the bend section halfway towards the bb. Judging by the pictures a 200mm post may or may not narrowly fit even for my long legs (34.5" inseam)

It all depends on if the main rocker link is connected with the frame by two bolts from each side (like Trek Remedy) or a thru axle (like Giant Reign)
    I get all that but find me a bike with a 445mm reach and a 400mm seat tube.

If you've got a 34" inseam I doubt you'll have an issue. Droppers vary in overall length and there's a good chance 34.9mm versions will end up shorter than smaller diameters due to more bushing contact.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just visited a bike shop, EVO's are supposed to be available early-mid July. They were kind enough to show me specs though one thing that caught my eye (not in a good way). The EVOs will be specc'd with NX Eagles, not GX Eagles... At $3,600 that's not a good price point to spec an aluminum with NX, IMO...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Brakes

Hi What kind of brakes does Spclzd put on the EVO?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakub View Post
    Hi What kind of brakes does Spclzd put on the EVO?
    Fortunately codes.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafDaddy View Post
    Just visited a bike shop, EVO's are supposed to be available early-mid July. They were kind enough to show me specs though one thing that caught my eye (not in a good way). The EVOs will be specc'd with NX Eagles, not GX Eagles... At $3,600 that's not a good price point to spec an aluminum with NX, IMO...
    That's a shame. Thought it was too good to be true. Not the end of the world for me as I'll be changing everything anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I saw this a few weeks looking at the dealer page at my shop. Kind of a bullshit move from specialized if they canít even spec with the GX considering itís what they speced it with in all the press releases. Unless there something I donít know NX Eagle isnít even a thing. Eagle is 12x, NX is the budget 11x.
    Not to go too far after off-topic but we just picked up a commencal meta for my girlfriend with full XO1 Eagle build for $3500. The Evo definitely has the Geo I want but with the wait time and not even getting a 12x for this price itís getting harder and harder to remain faithful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Doing a little bit of googling shows a few pages popping up for an NX Eagle. SRAM even has a page for it even though the page itself doesnít have any content. Maybe itís a brand new product they are going to release? If so, I will be bummed they go with a more inexpensive 1x12.
    If this is the case, it bums me out even more that Specialized isnít offering different trim levels of the EVO.
    The 2 things I would have liked to see upgraded are the wheels and the GX (assuming it isnít equipped with it already). Iím not a fan of the Roval hubs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just did a little looking and, at least when they had press there for launch, the EVO did have the GX Eagle on there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Doing a little bit of googling shows a few pages popping up for an NX Eagle. SRAM even has a page for it even though the page itself doesnít have any content. Maybe itís a brand new product they are going to release? If so, I will be bummed they go with a more inexpensive 1x12.
    Agreed. I had to do a double-take when I saw the specs showing NX Eagle as it doesn't appear to an official product... Yet. My hunch is SRAM will announce the NX 'Eagle' soon, tagging Specialized's SJ EVO to be one of the 1st bikes to spec the NX Eagle.

I've been holding out on buying a new MTB after I sold mine waiting for the SJ EVO, but the NX Eagle will definitely bring it down a notch. I'm stoked for the 'new school geometry' (longer, lower, and slacker) figures of the SJ EVO; I've demo'd the '18 Enduro, Pole Evolink (yep, one of the lucky ones to demo one), and the Transition Sentinel. Those bikes just made me a flat-out better rider and made mtb'ing more enjoyable for me. At the same time I'm fully aware that the new school geometry may not benefit everyone, yet it definitely worked for me and I have a feeling it will catch on once more bikers try it out.

But, a $3,600 aluminum bike with NX *Eagle* (I don't care if it's Eagle) certainly gives me a reason to pause. I guess I'll just have to wait until Spesh makes it official on their website (shown as available and not "Coming Soon" along with production EVOs out in the wild)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Agreed. I had to do a double-take when I saw the specs showing NX Eagle as it doesn't appear to an official product... Yet. My hunch is SRAM will announce the NX 'Eagle' soon, tagging Specialized's SJ EVO to be one of the 1st bikes to spec the NX Eagle.

I've been holding out on buying a new MTB after I sold mine waiting for the SJ EVO, but the NX Eagle will definitely bring it down a notch. I'm stoked for the 'new school geometry' (longer, lower, and slacker) figures of the SJ EVO; I've demo'd the '18 Enduro, Pole Evolink (yep, one of the lucky ones to demo one), and the Transition Sentinel. Those bikes just made me a flat-out better rider and made mtb'ing more enjoyable for me. At the same time I'm fully aware that the new school geometry may not benefit everyone, yet it definitely worked for me and I have a feeling it will catch on once more bikers try it out.

But, a $3,600 aluminum bike with NX *Eagle* (I don't care if it's Eagle) certainly gives me a reason to pause. I guess I'll just have to wait until Spesh makes it official on their website (shown as available and not "Coming Soon" along with production EVOs out in the wild)...
    Hopefully this is all just a big misunderstanding. 😬

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How much is a SJ Comp? What suspension is on one of those?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    NX Eagle is officially out so the dealer page spec seems legit. Unless they lower the retail ( which they wonít) still think itís kind of false advertising to downgrade such an integral part of the bike. Not the end of the world but Iím sure the last thing the bike needs is an extra 200 grams.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    NX Eagle is officially out so the dealer page spec seems legit. Unless they lower the retail ( which they wonít) still think itís kind of false advertising to downgrade such an integral part of the bike. Not the end of the world but Iím sure the last thing the bike needs is an extra 200 grams.
    How is it false advertising? Where is the official spec on the Specialized site?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How is it false advertising? Where is the official spec on the Specialized site?
    ďKind ofĒ I guess misleading might be a better term when it was being unveiled and leting it be promoted as one thing and then realeased downgraded. I know nothing is official even as I write this but still a little let down with the spec change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It is only false advertising in the fact that the bike only comes in 1 trim level and the demo bike for he launch had GX Eagle components. We are jumping the gun since Specialized hasnít put the actual specs on a public website.

mtbr member
    I'd happily put up with a low spec drive train if they offered a full coil version...

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    With the specs we are seeing in starting to think Iíll just build up a frame. Does anyone know anything about the Fox 36 Float Rhythm being offered on the bike? How do these compare to a Performance Elite? It looks like these are only available OEM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorquin Kiki View Post
    With the specs we are seeing in starting to think Iíll just build up a frame. Does anyone know anything about the Fox 36 Float Rhythm being offered on the bike? How do these compare to a Performance Elite? It looks like these are only available OEM.
    Do we know if they will have a frame only option for the EVO? Might not be a bad way to go depending on what price they make it.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No frame apparently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Reviews of the NX are widely positive, might not be the end of the world if that is what the bike is spec'd with.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The bike offers something fundamentally different from the cookie cutter geo of that standard bike. If that isn't enough that a mainstream manufacturer has built such a bike I recommend contacting every other manufacturer to complain about all their "short chainstay, 10mm longer than last year" bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Reviews of the NX are widely positive, might not be the end of the world if that is what the bike is spec'd with.
    Agreed. Initially I was discouraged when I saw that the SJ EVO would be specc'd with NX Eagle, but after the announcement and the mostly positive reviews I'm just about all in and ready to plunk down my hard earned cash on the counter of my Spesh LBS.

However, I'm going to wait for Spesh to finally OFFICIALLY announce the availability & published specs on their website. And more comprehensive reviews as well (though I have a feeling they'll be quite positive).

Getting tired of borrowing my buddy's bike & renting...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Also, I was able to coyly convince the LBS to print out the unofficial specs from Spesh so if anybody has questions about the specs I'd be happy to answer. Keep in mind it's for the 29er EVO in S2 (there were no geometry figures given).

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Crank length?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    "SRAM NX Eagle, DUB, 170mm", so says the spec sheet.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks. Was hoping they were super brave and went 165mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    That was for the 29er; maybe the 27.5 will have 165mm since the BB is precariously low (unless they made last second changes to increase the BB)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    "SRAM NX Eagle, DUB, 170mm", so says the spec sheet.
    Is the spec sheet available to the public or is it a dealer only thing for now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Stopped by my LBS and theyíre showing a shipment date of early July. Fingers crossed not too much longer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Is the spec sheet available to the public or is it a dealer only thing for now?
    It was printed from the dealer portal, not for public consumption. The employee was likely new and not fully up to date on 'non-disclosures' policy... :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Stopped by my LBS and theyíre showing a shipment date of early July. Fingers crossed not too much longer.
    The spec sheet I was able to coax a new employee at the LBS showed early July as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

New question here. What about oustside US

Any information about EU delivery times ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Official page on specialized is officially live.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...oy-29/p/159451

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for the heads up! Now I'm torn between the black or sliver. Black looks better than I thought, but I'll wait until the local LBS has it in stock (they're expecting delivery of a black in a couple weeks, maybe less).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Agreed, the bike looks really good in black. I thought for sure the raw was the way to go but damn.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If the black was ano it would be sweet but flat black paint looks crap pretty quick. I hope we get the brushed clear in Canadia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Is this going to be 29" only?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post
    Is this going to be 29" only?
    Looks that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Looks that way.
    Just got done talking to specialized customer support. A 650 option will be release mid AUGUST....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    On the dealer website the 29er now says late July.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The 29er was already released

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigween View Post
    The 29er was already released
    Not the Evo. It wasnít released to the public when the ST and LT versions were released.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Not the Evo. It wasnít released to the public when the ST and LT versions were released.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...oy-29/p/159451

Do you mean this Evo 29er?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yes. It is on their website but it isnít actually available to the public yet. No one has one. The other versions of the SK were announced and people actually have them. It was just last week that the EVO even showed on the public website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yes. It is on their website but it isnít actually available to the public yet. No one has one. The other versions of the SK were announced and people actually have them. It was just last week that the EVO even showed on the public website.
    Got it, my mistake, I read that differently. In that case, then that sucks that I have to wait till the end of July to even get an Evo. Let alone wanting a 650 WHICH is said to be released MID AUGUST, and who knows when that will actually be in our LBS

The Fastest of Bananas
    Got it, my mistake, I read that differently. In that case, then that sucks that I have to wait till the end of July to even get an Evo. Let alone wanting a 650 WHICH is said to be released MID AUGUST, and who knows when that will actually be in our LBS
    If only they would do a frame only option. It would suck to have to get one just to strip all the parts. Its a shame Specialized does Sram only.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That's what I'll be doing.

Not too bothered as I have a use for the NX Eagle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So has anyone got their hands on a 2019 SJ EVO? Really curious as to how everyone is liking them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So has anyone got their hands on a 2019 SJ EVO? Really curious as to how everyone is liking them.
    Don't think they have been in the shops yet? Curious as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Not in shops yet. I put a down payment months ago so I hopefully should be getting one of the first when they come in. My LBS was saying the 29er S2 wil be the first available in a week or two with the 27.5 being released sometime in August.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My LBS says the EVO will not be sold in the EU is this even possible or are they just incompetent ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's listed on their UK und italian website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakub View Post
    My LBS says the EVO will not be sold in the EU is this even possible or are they just incompetent ?
    In my experience quite a few shops arenít very aware of the Evo. My LBS is independent and very gravity focused and some of the employees werenít really in the know about the Evo. I donít know why but it seems like Spec is being hush hush with this bike for now as I have yet to see a single article or review since itís announcement along with the regular stumpyís over 3 months ago.

I'm with stupid
    This thing needs to hurry up and come out. I have my name on one coming to my LBS. I hate waiting!

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah I'm getting a bit bored of waiting. Lots of other rad bikes hitting the market soon too.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast