2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread - Page 17- Mtbr.com
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 1,601 to 1,631 of 1631
    mtbr member
    No spacer it will be then
    Tomorrow I'll decide between 160 and 170 on the fork, most likely stay with 160mm.

Somewhat undecided regarding the build.
    I have a set of newly built DT E532+350 wheels with fresh Minions which I'll replace the stock wheels for sure.
    I also happen to have a complete used XT M8000 drivetrain and brakes from my current bike. I've always preferred Shimano stuff, specially brakes. So it is used XT M800 vs new NX and Code stuff...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Thanks, anyone else?

On fork travel, planning to also change the airshaft to at least 160mm.
    Is 170mm too much?
    I would upgrade the rear and leave the front at 150. So far I like it better at 150 than 160 and there is no difference in the ability to smash the big stuff.

Definitely XT over NX

mtbr member
    Are we sure you can go from 150mm travel to 170? I was under the impression that there were 2 different models between those stanchion lengths. For example, you can take a 160 all the way down to 140, but the 170 can only be extended to 180.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Are we sure you can go from 150mm travel to 170? I was under the impression that there were 2 different models between those stanchion lengths. For example, you can take a 160 all the way down to 140, but the 170 can only be extended to 180.

yes we are sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradan09 View Post
    yes we are sure

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    edit

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I also prefer the 150 over the 160mm for the front. Handled better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I would upgrade the rear and leave the front at 150. So far I like it better at 150 than 160 and there is no difference in the ability to smash the big stuff.

Definitely XT over NX

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I went with an elite 36 and brought it up to 160 and it feels super good in high mode. I will probably put it in low for the DH season but it jumps and climbs amazing already.

mtbr member
    One more thing, how's paint quality on the Evo?

Considering to wrap it on Invisiframe, but the price is hard to swallow for some stickers...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Cane Creek DB air on, it's a big shock! Only just fits without fouling the inside of the frame, maybe 4mm gap. Went with 210x55

Air can is 57.5mm, Fox X2 diagram shows the air can is 56.3mm, so therefore I would presume a 210x55 X2 would fit these bikes which is good to know.

One thing I noticed about this DB Air is I need way less pressure compared to other air shocks to maintain 30% sag, only took 190psi for my 230lb's. The driveway test resulted in a plush feel.

Only con so far, now my water bottle wont fit, It fouls the piggyback.

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-dbair.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Have you tried fully bottoming it out? It seems like that would be when it would hit if it didn't hit now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvinbenedictmtb View Post
    Have you tried fully bottoming it out? It seems like that would be when it would hit if it didn't hit now.
    Cycled it with no air and all fine. Cane creek confirmed it fits all versions of stumpy including Evo. But it’s a very close fit.

My coil shock is a 57mm stroke and that’s fine too. It’s more the air can clearance to the inside of the frame that’s concerning.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrm View Post
    Am I right in remembering there's a couple of people had issues with misalignment blowing shocks?

Spotted the anodising on my MRP Hazzard shaft was worn on just one side (right by the seal on full extension) last night - spoke to a friend at their UK distributor and he said from the pics it sounds like misalignment making the shock compress not square ☹️☹️

Anyone who had blown shocks/alignment issues able to share what the symptoms were that they experienced?

Cheers!
    I went through 4 DPX2's this winter and spring in about 60 miles of riding. I was convinced it was frame related (as was fox and my LBS). However, the last shock build I got now has 170 miles on it with no issues. I don't know what they did different, but it's surviving for now.

And also, the factory DPX2 and whatever tune they put into the most recent one they gave me (which seems to be lasting) is night and day better than my stock performance DPX2 that came on the bike. Very active/poppy feeling while keeping planted in chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by brash View Post
    Cane Creek DB air on, it's a big shock! Only just fits without fouling the inside of the frame, maybe 4mm gap. Went with 210x55

Air can is 57.5mm, Fox X2 diagram shows the air can is 56.3mm, so therefore I would presume a 210x55 X2 would fit these bikes which is good to know.

One thing I noticed about this DB Air is I need way less pressure compared to other air shocks to maintain 30% sag, only took 190psi for my 230lb's. The driveway test resulted in a plush feel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dbair.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	1251423
    Looks good, man! I'll be interested to see when someone tries the X2. The smaller barrel of the air chamber should clear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

2019 X2 and on are larger than 56.3mm OD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    2019 X2 and on are larger than 56.3mm OD.
    Good info, I wouldn't want to go any closer to the frame then what this Cane Creek is, however I can't find an exact figure for the 2019 shock, only 16-18 drawing.

The DB Air is pretty good, just transferred the settings from my IL Coil across but it could be definitely be improved with more tuning. Obviously small bump sensitivity isn't as good but once you deeper into the travel the bottomless feeling from the air is nice.

I forgot how nice it is to jump with an airshock too haha The pop is real!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone interested in a S3 Evo Pro 29 frameset? SOLD!
    Last edited by Ordinarybikes; 2 Days Ago at 05:20 AM.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nick041881 View Post
    Hey guys,

Those of you that are running coils in the rear what are your weights and what weight coil springs are you running? Trying to get an idea about where to start when I order my coil shock. I weigh 180lbs.
    Thanks!
    145 lbs - 450lb pound spring Fox DHX2
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    For those of you running a coil do you feel that bottoming out is a problem? I like to do a lot of big drops and gaps and I was wondering if the frame was progressive enough. I have run the DHX2 in the past and it was amazing. I would love to run it but not to bottom out.

mtbr member
    Has anyone successfully mounted an X2 in a carbon frame yet? Looking at my standard SJ in carbon vs the Evo in AL it seems that there is less clearance with the carbon. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Has anyone successfully mounted an X2 in a carbon frame yet? Looking at my standard SJ in carbon vs the Evo in AL it seems that there is less clearance with the carbon. Thoughts?
    I doubt it will fit dude, the CC DB Air is so close to the alloy frame I wouldn't go any closer. The carbon would have to have a lot more clearance for it to work. The 2019 X2 is supposably bigger again in the air can than the old one (2018 and older)

I will call my suspension guru for a measurement if you like.

The 2018 and earlier ones will fit however I would guess as the aircan is smaller, but only come in imperial (traditional) sizes only, also the Piggyback is offset on the X2, this may clash with the front shock mount tab.

Now I have the DB air dialled in, I am really liking it! Maybe worth looking at if the X2 doesn't work out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvinbenedictmtb View Post
    For those of you running a coil do you feel that bottoming out is a problem? I like to do a lot of big drops and gaps and I was wondering if the frame was progressive enough. I have run the DHX2 in the past and it was amazing. I would love to run it but not to bottom out.
    These frames are a lot more progressive than anyone could have initially thought. I say go for it. Especially if you can dial in some HSC (the DHX2 can)

mtbr member
    Had my first ride yesterday, at a fun local trail style loop. A couple of technical climbs, a couple of fun descents with some doubles and drops.
    Bike on the low setting, fork still with 150mm and shock with spacer removed.

Comments so far:
    - the BB is low, really, really low. Loved that downhill but had some trouble on the technical climbs. Will give it some more shots to see if I can adapt, if not high setting it is.
    - the rear suspension is incredible, very calm, very composed, wasn't expecting that. It's also more active than my old bike (Bird AM9), requires more climb switch. Was running the settings suggested by Specialized for my weight, 260psi or so, felt spot on.
    - I think it's a combination of geometry and rear suspension behavior, but felt much more planted and natural on flat pedals. Quite curious actually
    - there's something incredibly natural in the way this bike leans to corner
    - my front was consistently washing out on corners. This bike has a shorter reach than my last one (475 vs 500mm) but the front is much slacker. Might also had too much pressure on the front tyre, not sure.
    - it just lands so well from jumps and drops, it's incredible. So composed and smooth

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Anyone with the Carbon Evo put Frame Protection on it yet? Pulled the trigger and ordered the Carbon Pro S3 29 and wanted to protect the frame. Any suggestions? Was looking at Invisiframe and Ridewrap. Any others?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Demo Ride 2019 Stumpjumper EVO Pro (carbon with coil)

Been following this forum thread for a while. Cool bike.

Got a chance to demo 2019 Stumpy EVO Pro (carbon with coil) at a recent festival.

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-yt-thumb-stumpy-275-evo-pro-2019-b.jpg

Here is a video of the demo:

https://youtu.be/3syofeVCtj4

(Keep in mind, I'm and old guy who is recovering from a collarbone break and surgery after OTB ... so timid).

This bike was a blast on downhill.

Evo did climb well (per traction).

However, had LOTS of pedal strikes (over 10 while climbing basic trail for 15 minutes with just a few small features - Prime Cut on 18 Road in Fruita CO).

Could have been set up. Was in low position. Coil may have been too soft for my weight (Specialized rep did not know spring rate).

But wanted others to know about pedal strike experience.

It does feel like a BIG bike. If you are considering buying, be sure to demo/test ride on your local trail.

Glad I jumped on it for a demo.

Had been high on my list, now not sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

flip the bottle mount.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by louf View Post
    flip the bottle mount.
    yeah done that mate, worked a charm. Millimetre perfect

That rear shock is really good, Way exceeding expectations.

mtbr member
    At around the same time I switched from my S2 to the S3 the Mrs. was looking to upgrade to something that climbed better than her Commencal Meta am 27.5 but still enduro race capable.
    She’s about 5’6” so after showing her there’s only a 10mm longer reach on the S2 from the medium Meta and me ranting that the Evo is THEE bike, she was in. We took what we could off the meta (cockpit and brakes) and picked up a 160 Lyrik and a set of Flows. Got it built up and oddly both bikes weigh the exact same, 31lbs 14 oz.
    Unfortunately the weather around Colorado has been horrible for riding. Some ski resorts are even reopening for Memorial Day weekend. With the few rides that we’ve gotten in between storms her initial takeaway is positive and commented how comfortable it feels to stay centered and keep weight on the bars in the steeps.
    Just wanted to share another Evo success story and this thread could always use more pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonkey View Post
    At around the same time I switched from my S2 to the S3 the Mrs. was looking to upgrade to something that climbed better than her Commencal Meta am 27.5 but still enduro race capable.
    She’s about 5’6” so after showing her there’s only a 10mm longer reach on the S2 from the medium Meta and me ranting that the Evo is THEE bike, she was in. We took what we could off the meta (cockpit and brakes) and picked up a 160 Lyrik and a set of Flows. Got it built up and oddly both bikes weigh the exact same, 31lbs 14 oz.
    Unfortunately the weather around Colorado has been horrible for riding. Some ski resorts are even reopening for Memorial Day weekend. With the few rides that we’ve gotten in between storms her initial takeaway is positive and commented how comfortable it feels to stay centered and keep weight on the bars in the steeps.
    Just wanted to share another Evo success story and this thread could always use more pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sweet bikes! Have you done anything to your Carbon EVO? Any frame protection?

mtbr member
    Yesterday I swapped wheels and fork on my S3 27.5 Evo. I had a pair of 29er Nobl 36 wheels and a standard offset (51mm) 29 Fox 36.

No clearance issues in low with 55mm stroke shock. I took the spring off the shock and cycled through the suspension and the tire never came close to the seat tube and the linkage made no contact either. After the ride I checked again and no tire marks on the seat tube.

Took a little time to adjust, but once I got the feel for the bike (and my brakes bedded in) it was a lot of fun. Felt like the bike just wanted to go faster and get rowdy. Took some more effort to really get the bike around corners at first, but a little bit more English and the bike carved. Right now the fork is at 150mm so I will be extending that and maybe trying a reduced offset fork.

Why not just get the S3 29er? I wanted more reach and travel than my Evil Offering.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Is there a "how to" with pics showing how to get the longer stroke (55mm) on the DHX2?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Yesterday I swapped wheels and fork on my S3 27.5 Evo. I had a pair of 29er Nobl 36 wheels and a standard offset (51mm) 29 Fox 36.

No clearance issues in low with 55mm stroke shock. I took the spring off the shock and cycled through the suspension and the tire never came close to the seat tube and the linkage made no contact either. After the ride I checked again and no tire marks on the seat tube.

Took a little time to adjust, but once I got the feel for the bike (and my brakes bedded in) it was a lot of fun. Felt like the bike just wanted to go faster and get rowdy. Took some more effort to really get the bike around corners at first, but a little bit more English and the bike carved. Right now the fork is at 150mm so I will be extending that and maybe trying a reduced offset fork.

Why not just get the S3 29er? I wanted more reach and travel than my Evil Offering.
    you still got the rhythm 44 offset fork? you Gould order a 29er lowers for it.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617