2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread - Page 12- Mtbr.com
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 2,201 to 2,237 of 2237
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    The battle continues on my shock failures. Just picked up the bike with a brand new CC coil since RockShox didnít have a coil available in my size. When I picked up my now blown DPX2 I noticed quite a bit of fretting wear on the yoke eyelet from the flip chip.

Are you guys seeing anything like this on your shocks? It suggests motion at the yoke, but thereís no bushing to deal with any motion. Iím wondering if itís related to or just evidence of why my bike is eating shocks.

Start the timer to coil failure....2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-3893f170-a965-4fed-a8e6-b214b03f18ab.jpeg

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Have they given you a replacement flip chip at any point?

An out of shape flip chip could cause trouble.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Have you tried replacing the flip chip or the yoke?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Specialized has done nothing so far, and Iím not spending a penny. I just noticed this today and intend on taking everything apart tonight.

So far specialized has blamed Fox and Fox has given me 5 new shocks before saying no on the last failure. Specialized is paying for the new coil as well and didnít want to consider anything else. I pointed out the wear on the eye to the bike shop before I left and they stated theyíd make a few calls.

So no one else has seen this on their shocks? Or havenít looked?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I haven't seen it and I have my bike apart ALOT

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Yeah haven't noticed that, I am constantly swapping shocks (not because they are blown, because I am a tinkerer) and never see any wear.

But all good things come to an end, my frustrations with the Evo rear suspension led to a full on rage quit lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Ahh man that's a shame, sorry the Evo didn't work out for you man. Enjoy the meta!!
    Last edited by blackjack88; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:57 AM. Reason: Context

mtbr member
    Like many people, I was having problems with headset loosening for a while. No matter how well adjusted it was not how tight the stem was, it would come loose with relative ease.

I wanted to test the theory that the original Specialized stem was slipping on the steerer tube and replaced it with a 40mm Pro Koryak I had lying around. That was 3 months ago or so.

Conclusion? The headset never loosened again

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2019 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy

I think I made my own EVO. Replaced the Fox34 with a Fox36 with 170mm of travel. This thing soaks up everything on the downhills.2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-stumpjumper03.png2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-stumpjumper02.png

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I kind of did the same thing with my carbon comp before I got my evo. It's still not the same as the evo. Still a good set up

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeandShred View Post
    I kind of did the same thing with my carbon comp before I got my evo. It's still not the same as the evo. Still a good set up
    That's cool. It's still pretty slack even in the High setting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brash View Post
    Yeah haven't noticed that, I am constantly swapping shocks (not because they are blown, because I am a tinkerer) and never see any wear.

But all good things come to an end, my frustrations with the Evo rear suspension led to a full on rage quit lol

I thought the Rockshox Deluxe with MegNeg and tractive tuning cured your issues.

Nevertheless, enjoy the new bike. I see the team issue Meta frames are priced really good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    I thought the Rockshox Deluxe with MegNeg and tractive tuning cured your issues.

Nevertheless, enjoy the new bike. I see the team issue Meta frames are priced really good.
    Me too, until I rode the META, it was like there were no bumps. That was a DPX2 and I didn't even set up the sag for me, looked close enough to 30%, rode it and WOW.

Don't get me wrong, the stumpy is incredible and extremely fast bike. However change is as good as a holiday, I enjoyed toying with all the shocks and the process of testing/tuning. I learned a lot in the process and hope I passed on some info to others about long shocking their Evo's. I'll definately stick around here. I don't know if I can sell the stumpy frame as it's still such a cool bike, I might take it back to "stock" in a way and use it as a fun trail bike rather than a park/shuttle bruiser.

My big concern is this new build will be 17kg at a guess. That's stupid. My ebike is 20.5!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeandShred View Post
    For those of you who have gone to a 52.5 or a 55mm stroke on the shock, did it make a huge difference in the liveliness of the bike?
    Does anyone regret having done so? (Doubt anyone does)
    I went ttx 52.5 and recently swapped in a progressive vault spring, bike feels great no issues, defiantly better and more reliable then the dpx2. x2 air shock if it fits your bike might be the best option as the bike is maybe a little heavy on the ups with coil shock and a smashpot in the front. :/

the vault progressive spring over stock spring on this bike 100%

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm on a ttx at 50mm now....I'll be going to a 55mm stroke and I'll look into that progressive spring as well. What size spring do I need ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ask your dealer theyíll know best

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    If you go for cane creek progressive dont be a mug like me and not re tune your rebound.

sent my usual big step-up and went over the bars. worst crash i've had so far. was unconscious for atleast 20 seconds and have 2 broken ribs and damaged my T6.

i remember pumping the jump hard, i suspect i went deeper into the stroke and the stiffer rate at the end spat me back out with a bit more force than usual.

wasn't really the springs fault, i love the spring, makes the bike feel much better, Just be aware that you'll need to adjust and dial in a little bit of High speed rebound (or at least i feel i should have).

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-20191212_073222.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by louf View Post
    I went ttx 52.5 and recently swapped in a progressive vault spring, bike feels great no issues, defiantly better and more reliable then the dpx2. x2 air shock if it fits your bike might be the best option as the bike is maybe a little heavy on the ups with coil shock and a smashpot in the front. :/

the vault progressive spring over stock spring on this bike 100%
    If you don't mind sharing - what is your weight and which progressive spring rate did you go with?

I'm trying to decide which rate to go with...the 450-550 or the 500-610.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    If you don't mind sharing - what is your weight and which progressive spring rate did you go with?

83kg 500-610
    Last edited by louf; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:53 PM. Reason: ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKRed View Post
    The battle continues on my shock failures. Just picked up the bike with a brand new CC coil since RockShox didnít have a coil available in my size. When I picked up my now blown DPX2 I noticed quite a bit of fretting wear on the yoke eyelet from the flip chip.

Are you guys seeing anything like this on your shocks? It suggests motion at the yoke, but thereís no bushing to deal with any motion. Iím wondering if itís related to or just evidence of why my bike is eating shocks.

Start the timer to coil failure....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3893F170-A965-4FED-A8E6-B214B03F18AB.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	1304619
    I definitely do not have any wear like that, but the frame is definitely out of alignment and this should prove it to Specialized

mtbr member
    83kg 500-610
    Thank for the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I ended up ordering a 650 Sls spring. Itís a 61mm stroke which should fit according to fox. Thatís the smallest they had for that weight.

Thinking of changing the color, the Ti Springs rainbow ano actually looked rad. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippin Trolls View Post
    I ended up ordering a 650 Sls spring. Itís a 61mm stroke which should fit according to fox. Thatís the smallest they had for that weight.

Thinking of changing the color, the Ti Springs rainbow ano actually looked rad. Any suggestions?
    I'll never deal with that TiSprings.com guy as long as I live, worst buying experience ever and I'm not alone.

I think he's gone belly up anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Yeah I actually ordered one and he went out of business shortly after. Gotta love PayPal though, refunded everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

FWIW

72kg 500-610

27% SAG

mtbr member
    May 2015

Iím only one ride in but Iím 185-ish (84kg) kitted and the 500-610 seems perfect so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I definitely do not have any wear like that, but the frame is definitely out of alignment and this should prove it to Specialized
    Agreed. It 100% shows thereís motion and bind. I sent the shop photos to relay to specialized so weíll see what happens. Itís already marking up my coil as well.

mtbr member
    3 votes for the 500-610 spring. Thanks to everyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Opinions wanted

Looking for some opinions. I have the Stumpy Evo pro that came with carbon Roval wheels and DT Swiss 350 hubs. Not a bad setup but I've always wanted I9 hubs. So, what I am debating with myself is should I just get the Hydra hubs and build them with my Carbon Roval rims or should I just go ahead and get a complete Enduro 305 wheelset?

In the last couple of weeks, my spokes have come loose with these Roval wheels which have surprised me. I've never really had this happen before. The other hesitation is finding someone that can lace up the new hubs to the rims with adequate skill. With the complete wheelset, it is double the cost but the wheels would be built by very skilled wheel builders at I9 and I could have a backup wheelset in case anything went wrong.

What would you all do?

Sorry, one more opinion-based question. Stick with the 31.8mm stem or upgrade to 35mm stem? I may get the I9 stem for color matching and I'm trying to decide if there is any real benefit to switching to a 35mm bar/stem.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by WolfpackFbNs; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:16 PM. Reason: add title

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFbNs View Post
    Looking for some opinions. I have the Stumpy Evo pro that came with carbon Roval wheels and DT Swiss 350 hubs. Not a bad setup but I've always wanted I9 hubs. So, what I am debating with myself is should I just get the Hydra hubs and build them with my Carbon Roval rims or should I just go ahead and get a complete Enduro 305 wheelset?

In the last couple of weeks, my spokes have come loose with these Roval wheels which have surprised me. I've never really had this happen before. The other hesitation is finding someone that can lace up the new hubs to the rims with adequate skill. With the complete wheelset, it is double the cost but the wheels would be built by very skilled wheel builders at I9 and I could have a backup wheelset in case anything went wrong.

What would you all do?

Sorry, one more opinion-based question. Stick with the 31.8mm stem or upgrade to 35mm stem? I may get the I9 stem for color matching and I'm trying to decide if there is any real benefit to switching to a 35mm bar/stem.

Thanks guys!
    Sell the rovals to offset the cost of these.

https://www.weareonecomposites.com/s...elset-2020-516

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

What would you all do?

Thanks guys!
    Build you own setup and either sell the Rovals or keep them as a backup. You will get a million different opinions, but personally after running a lot of the different wheels on the market and breaking all of them, my recommendation would be Santa Cruz Reserve rims on the I9 hubs you want. The Reserves have a fantastic ride quality that is tough to beat (I have not ridden the new Zipp rims). From there I would send them to Dave at

https://speeddream.com/about-daves-wheels.html

Call him up and within 2 minutes you will understand why. Once he understands your weight, riding style and location he will then build them up specific to you. I have had 5+ sets of wheels built by him and I have never once had to true any of them even after impacts hard enough to break Enve's, Light Bicycles, Derbys, etc. For my setup he builds them with different spoke manufacturers on drive vs non drive sides to get the right compliance. In addition it is less expensive and quicker to ship everything to him than have a local builder put everything together.

On the bar and stem question, I personally still run 31.8. The 35's are too harsh IMO and cause a lot of fatigue/arm pump.

Good luck, a good wheel set is one of the best upgrades you can make!

Loam_Shame
    Feb 2013

What would you all do?

Thanks guys!
    I would pick 350's over I9 anyday.... Star Ratchet > Pawls any day. Onyx Vespers would be my dream hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

What would you all do?

Thanks guys!
    I had the option to ďupgradeĒ to hydras Over my DT 240s hubs when I sent my enves in for warranty and I chose to keep my 240s

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Still have my s2 alloy frame (no shock) for cheap! Itís in the box ready to ship, had 2 buyers flake on me
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2693106/

Not sure why the link is invisible ^^^^^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

What would you all do?

Thanks guys!
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to just go for the Hydra hubs and build them onto the Roval carbon rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to just go for the Hydra hubs and build them onto the Roval carbon rims.
    I have the hydras on Newmen hoops, fantastic hub, big difference over my torches. you won't regret them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have the hydras on Newmen hoops, fantastic hub, big difference over my torches. you won't regret them.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to them. I've drooled over I9 stuff for the past 10 years and never pulled the trigger. I decided to go for the hubs and stem. I'll post a pic when it's all built up.

mtbr member
    Anyone knows the ref for the bushings or bushings kit for the upper DPX2 mount?
    Mine started to develop some play and creaking

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112