Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 2,001 to 2,146 of 2146
    mtbr member
    First ride

20190921_084948_023 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

Will never be this clean again....

20190921_072853 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Looking good! So what's your thoughts on the riding and handling - aluminum frame versus the carbon fiber?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    i can see you have the super cool eeWings crankset

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hi All,

Just pulled the trigger on a 29 Alloy frame. Will be a bit till I'm able to build it up. Just curious on what the consensus is on the fox perf rear shock? Worth keeping and riding at 50mm for a bit? Go straight to 55mm with the removal of the shock reducer right off the bat? Sell it and get something else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Looking good! So what's your thoughts on the riding and handling - aluminum frame versus the carbon fiber?
    I was surprised at how much of a difference I felt between the two. So many changes that it is hard to attribute to just one thing, but the bike felt even more composed. It just monster trucks through everything and feels much quieter. Overall I would say the carbon has a much more damped feel to it which I like much more. The coil feels really good in my local terrain and the Grip 2 damper is a big step up over the Rythm setup.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good upgrade. Thanks for the comparison. Oh yeah, have fun in Whistler!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by swift685 View Post
    Attachment 1276873

Freshly completed 29er conversion on a 27.5 EVO Pro S2 Frame!

BB height is 348. Standover is perfect (31" Inseam). 160 / 155 travel. Great tire clearance. Not much reason to spring for the 29 frame given the results. Spot Fin' On!
    I assume you have 155mm travel in the rear, which would be a 210x55 shock? No clearance issues with the 29 rear tire?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    The bike has evolved

Heres my 2020 Stumpy EVO Carbon S2 27.5. The Frame replaced a 2015 Enudro Evo 180mm front and back, which was nice and slack but had too much travel and weight for my riding.

I'm really impressed with the new bike, i feel better in the berms and the bike is much more lively and poppy owing to the shorter travel and stiffer frame.

Full XT 12 speed drive-train
    DT wheels and hubs
    Code Brakes
    Renthal Cockpit
    DHX2 - 500lb spring
    Fox 36's lowered to 160mm - 51psi and 2 tokens
    160 command dropper.

i'm 5'9 " / 176cm and weigh 154lbs / 11 stone
    S2 frame fit feels perfect to me.

Weighs in at 13.9kg / 30.7 pounds
    Bike is super fun, looking forward to more shredding

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-p5pb17767875.jpg  

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-p5pb17767874.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by endoguru View Post
    I assume you have 155mm travel in the rear, which would be a 210x55 shock? No clearance issues with the 29 rear tire?
    Yes, sir. Zero issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    QUESTION: For anyone running a 160mm fork upfront. What is your sag %?

I'm running 23-25% sag on the fork and 29% sag on the shock with no wheel flop but if I try to run 20-22% sag on the fork then the wheel flop kicks in and doesn't make for the smoothest steering. Any suggestions?

My stem is already dropped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Are you able to run it in the low setting or high only? I really want to try this, but want to be sure before spring for a new fork and wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    What pressures are people running in their dpx2. I am only 130lbs and am stuck running 190 psi with the biggest volume token to avoid bottoming out. I still bottom out more than I would like but if I add any more there is not any small bump compliance. Specialized recommends 155 (with .86 volume token) for my weight but that is complete bs.
    Also seriously thinking about moving to an x2. How progressive does it get with 4 tokens?

Stumped IG: BikesNBuds
    Sep 2019

Hello from a new EVO rider

Hello everyone, new to forums, and just built up a 2020 29 Evo alloy frame in size S2, and so far this thread has helped out a lot! Didnt know about these forums prior to my build, but I myself already had intended to use a 160mm Lyrik fork up front, glad to hear i wasnt the only one!

A little about me, been riding for about 2 years, with my first bike being an 18 Stumpjumper 29/6Fattie in alloy. Its helped me grow in fitness and skills, until I rode a Pole EvoLink 148 in spain for 2 weeks on holiday and that just blew my mind. I still loved my first stumpy, but when I heard this EVO would come out and have similar geometry. I knew I had to have it. Bought the alloy frame from my LBS and transplanted parts over from my first Stumpjumper'(160mm Lyrik fork, contact points, cassette, stem) The rest were all brand new.

BUILD
    S2 Frame. Satin Cast/battleship grey color. Full invisiframe wrap in matte. Rockshox Lyrik RCT3 (3 tokens, 51 Psi) Stock rear shock
    GX 11spd groupset - Ethirteen TRS Race 11spd 9-46 cassette + Absolute black 30T oval chainring
    Code R brakes
    Spank spike stem and 760mm vibrocore handlebars
    Ergon seat and Grips. PNW 150mm dropper.
    Hunt Trailwide 29 wheels
    Maxxis Dissector 2.4 rear with huck norris insert
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 up front

I built this bike up knowing my time on the bike is 65% local trails in the los Angeles Forest areas and 35% bike park, doing small to medium drop and jumps. Ive ridden in this build for about 3 weeks on both trail and bike parks and have dialed in my fork to feel playful and poppy.

The rear shock on the other hand I have come to you gurus for advice. I put a DVO topaz on my old stumpjumper and that transformed that bike. The stock DPX2 feels nothing like it and I would like something more confidence inspiring like that topaz made my old stumpy feel. The topaz allowed the bike to talk to me if that makes sense. Id like that again

I would have pulled the trigger on a 210x50 DVO Topaz again for this EVO but now im reading so much about coils, removing spacers and fitting 210x55 shocks, increasing the rear travel ahh so confusing.

So gurus, for someone who spends more time on trails than bike parks, would a Topaz or even a Super Deluxe but suffice, or is coil really what this bike needs given its kinematics. (which in that case im leaning towards a EXT Storia for the bottom out tech they have)

Oh also, is there an issue with loose headsets? bought a cane creek set that was supposed to work fine but never could quite get tight enough. Just ended up putting what came with the box

Thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-img_0865.jpg  

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-img_5920-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by snoball218 View Post
    Hello everyone, new to forums, and just built up a 2020 29 Evo alloy frame in size S2, and so far this thread has helped out a lot! Didnt know about these forums prior to my build, but I myself already had intended to use a 160mm Lyrik fork up front, glad to hear i wasnt the only one!

A little about me, been riding for about 2 years, with my first bike being an 18 Stumpjumper 29/6Fattie in alloy. Its helped me grow in fitness and skills, until I rode a Pole EvoLink 148 in spain for 2 weeks on holiday and that just blew my mind. I still loved my first stumpy, but when I heard this EVO would come out and have similar geometry. I knew I had to have it. Bought the alloy frame from my LBS and transplanted parts over from my first Stumpjumper'(160mm Lyrik fork, contact points, cassette, stem) The rest were all brand new.

BUILD
    S2 Frame. Satin Cast/battleship grey color. Full invisiframe wrap in matte. Rockshox Lyrik RCT3 (3 tokens, 51 Psi) Stock rear shock
    GX 11spd groupset - Ethirteen TRS Race 11spd 9-46 cassette + Absolute black 30T oval chainring
    Code R brakes
    Spank spike stem and 760mm vibrocore handlebars
    Ergon seat and Grips. PNW 150mm dropper.
    Hunt Trailwide 29 wheels
    Maxxis Dissector 2.4 rear with huck norris insert
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 up front

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-img_0865.jpg

I built this bike up knowing my time on the bike is 65% local trails in the los Angeles Forest areas and 35% bike park, doing small to medium drop and jumps. Ive ridden in this build for about 3 weeks on both trail and bike parks and have dialed in my fork to feel playful and poppy.

The rear shock on the other hand I have come to you gurus for advice. I put a DVO topaz on my old stumpjumper and that transformed that bike. The stock DPX2 feels nothing like it and I would like something more confidence inspiring like that topaz made my old stumpy feel. The topaz allowed the bike to talk to me if that makes sense. Id like that again

I would have pulled the trigger on a 210x50 DVO Topaz again for this EVO but now im reading so much about coils, removing spacers and fitting 210x55 shocks, increasing the rear travel ahh so confusing.

So gurus, for someone who spends more time on trails than bike parks, would a Topaz or even a Super Deluxe but suffice, or is coil really what this bike needs given its kinematics. (which in that case im leaning towards a EXT Storia for the bottom out tech they have)

Thanks guys!
    Funny, I used to have Large 2018 Stumpjumper Comp in size Large with Diamond 160 up front and Topaz for the shock. Last year I sold the bike and built Pole Taival and it was perfect in fit and geometry wise. But since I moved from NYC to Utah, I wanted FS. Evolink was out of my price range so I grabbed Evo S3 27.5 frame, but will build as 29er. Cane Creek Helm Air up front and thinking of CC DB IL Air. There are few brand new 210x55 under $300 on eBay.
    I even considered Hunt wheelset, but decided to go fancy with Project 321 hubs

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I rather keep the sag the same on both ends. Keeps the geometry the same, the Sag percentage is then to your liking

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    This question has probably been asked before, but here goes. I have a buyer for my S Works Carbon Evo 27.5 S3, but only if he can put a Fox Float X2 on. Does anyone know if the X2 will fit on this frame with no issues?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    This question has probably been asked before, but here goes. I have a buyer for my S Works Carbon Evo 27.5 S3, but only if he can put a Fox Float X2 on. Does anyone know if the X2 will fit on this frame with no issues?
    I think a guy put up a post only recently showing it worked, the carbon frame had more clearance than the alloy too. It's a very tight fit, however only at full extension/unladen, once it moves through the travel the gap between aircan and frame grows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    ENDURO POLL: Any else here considering upgrading to the new 2020 Specialized Enduro?!

Sep 2019
    The Hunt Trail wide wheelset has been great so far, cant report anything bad on them yet, but for the price point (with shipping to the US) was too hard to pass up.

I see the CC DB IL 210X55 you're talking about on ebay. that price is also too good to pass up anyone wouldnt happen to know the mounting hardware needed for the alloy evos? :P

Despite the price I still might go for DVO for self serviceability, but taking a quick look at the instructions, looks easier said than done
    Last edited by snoball218; 09-29-2019 at 11:26 PM.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Sorry to spam it up but I have SJ tuned Rock Shox Super Deluxe Ulitimate 210mm x 52.5mm up for sale

Here
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

2020 Enduro

ENDURO POLL: Any else here considering upgrading to the new 2020 Specialized Enduro?!

based on this comment below from a well written review of the 2020 Enduro, i'll be keeping my stumpjumper evo for a long while. Although id be opened to a test ride changing my perception.

"But I want to emphasize ďrace bike.Ē For this is not a playful, poppy, jump, whip, jib, fun-time machine. This is a racing tool and all business. Itís not a trail bike, and itís not a park bike. Itís for taking the straightest, fastest, line between two points, squashing jumps, and finding all the traction so you can brake harder, and drive it harder through turns. Itís about holding onto as much speed as possible at all times and giving you the confidence to push your hardest. Point, grip, brake, sprint, and repeat: this new Enduro is speed focused."
    Last edited by blackjack88; 10-01-2019 at 01:05 AM. Reason: added quote for context

mtbr member
    I'm sticking with the Evo. It handles everything I throw at it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack88 View Post
    based on this comment below from a well written review, i'll be keeping my stumpjumper evo for a long while. Although id be opened to a test ride changing my perception.

"But I want to emphasize ďrace bike.Ē For this is not a playful, poppy, jump, whip, jib, fun-time machine. This is a racing tool and all business. Itís not a trail bike, and itís not a park bike. Itís for taking the straightest, fastest, line between two points, squashing jumps, and finding all the traction so you can brake harder, and drive it harder through turns. Itís about holding onto as much speed as possible at all times and giving you the confidence to push your hardest. Point, grip, brake, sprint, and repeat: this new Enduro is speed focused."
    Yes
    Last edited by JJ1408; 09-30-2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Misunderstood

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    To anyone who has replaced the stock handlebars with anything else: are you willing to sell me the stock bars? Let me know.

mtbr member
    A few pics from Whistler

20190928_142033 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

GH010032_1569621844693_high by Sales Punk, on Flickr

20190928_151546 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

Bike was amazing, can't believe how capable this 140/150 bike is even on some very nasty trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by snoball218 View Post
    The Hunt Trail wide wheelset has been great so far, cant report anything bad on them yet, but for the price point (with shipping to the US) was too hard to pass up.

I see the CC DB IL 210X55 you're talking about on ebay. that price is also too good to pass up anyone wouldnt happen to know the mounting hardware needed for the alloy evos? :P

Despite the price I still might go for DVO for self serviceability, but taking a quick look at the instructions, looks easier said than done
    Pop your fox Bushings and Pin out, put into the Cane Creek, bottom side of shock nothing needs to be done, feed the flip chip in.

Don't need to purchase anything! Well worth doing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brash View Post
    Pop your fox Bushings and Pin out, put into the Cane Creek, bottom side of shock nothing needs to be done, feed the flip chip in.

Anyone know the mounting hardware size? Mine is worn out and I canít find the dimensions anywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    For all those wondering, a 2020 x2 will fit on my s2 27.5 alloy with about 1/16" to spare. Attached are images of the exact part number as well as full extension and full compression of the shock. Got about 10 hard miles on it so far, and no rubbing due to frame flex.
    2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-20191002_153030.jpg2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-20191002_152912.jpg2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-20191002_153226.jpg2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-20191002_153244.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hy24den View Post
    For all those wondering, a 2020 x2 will fit on my s2 27.5 alloy with about 1/16" to spare. Attached are images of the exact part number as well as full extension and full compression of the shock. Got about 10 hard miles on it so far, and no rubbing due to frame flex.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191002_153030.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	1283717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191002_152912.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	1283719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191002_153226.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	1283721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191002_153244.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	1283723
    I tried to mount an X2 on an S3 and it would not fit. Just an FYI.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I have just taken delivery of an alloy S2 29er, and I have a 210x55 X2 from my Rocky Mountain that I will attempt to fit at some point.

will be interesting to see if it fits.

Did you transfer the shock hardware over from the original shock? Or buy new?

Sep 2019

Easy peasy after all! Thanks! 😁

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Anyone here replaced the original FSA headset? And if so what did they replace it with?

Mine (2020) has been giving me greif recently! Stripped it down and both the fork crown race, and even more so the top version is pitted and worn, it's like the bearings aren't moving and instead the are rotating on the aluminum. The most obvious thing here would be the headset is loose, but I'm very sensitive to that so I know it's not the case.

The bearings are both in good order, the bike is 3 months old and not seen that much action yet.

Taking the bearings out of the frame I noticed the lower bearing is a nice fit, but the top bearing slops around in the frame, measured it and there's 0.25mm of clearance (while the bottom has nothing like this).

The I.D. of the top of the frame is 42mm while the bearing is 41.75mm - anyone else have similar issues?

I can't tell if the frame is incorrect or the bearing is underspec.

Cannonball!
    Which begs the question: Why does Specialized insist on making frames that way?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I am planning to do S3 27.5 convert to 29er wheels and fork. I know some of you have already done it and i would like to ask you are my calculations right: Is the BB height around 347mm in low setting? And is there still enough clearance between seat tube and tyre when bottoming out?
    Thank you

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by moity View Post
    Anyone here replaced the original FSA headset? And if so what did they replace it with?

Mine (2020) has been giving me greif recently! Stripped it down and both the fork crown race, and even more so the top version is pitted and worn, it's like the bearings aren't moving and instead the are rotating on the aluminum. The most obvious thing here would be the headset is loose, but I'm very sensitive to that so I know it's not the case.

The bearings are both in good order, the bike is 3 months old and not seen that much action yet.

Taking the bearings out of the frame I noticed the lower bearing is a nice fit, but the top bearing slops around in the frame, measured it and there's 0.25mm of clearance (while the bottom has nothing like this).

The I.D. of the top of the frame is 42mm while the bearing is 41.75mm - anyone else have similar issues?

Highly likely the bearing will be well within tolerance. Integrated headsets like what Specialized and a few others use are a terrible idea IMO. If you happen to get a frame that is towards the end of the mill tools life or isnít adequately cleaned or cooled during machining you will get a sloppy fit and a headset that creaks or repeatedly loosens. Also a pressed in headset cup can be 7000 series aluminum and heat treated/anodized which is far more resistant to being ridden loose. Iíve seen two Specialized frames ruined by being run loose for a ride which wouldnít be an issue on frames with pressed cups.

Loctite bearing retainer can help if you have a sloppy fit.

mtbr member

Contact Spec, sounds like a warranty issue to me. Bearing should not be loose in the cup. One note is to make sure you grease the bearing and cup. This will help eliminate creaking/popping for a while. I typically have to redo the grease every few months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d View Post
    Which begs the question: Why does Specialized insist on making frames that way?
    Specialized is not the only one, most of the manufacturers have moved to this process including Santa Cruz. Not sure why, but my guess is something to do with cost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Contact Spec, sounds like a warranty issue to me. Bearing should not be loose in the cup. One note is to make sure you grease the bearing and cup. This will help eliminate creaking/popping for a while. I typically have to redo the grease every few months.
    Thanks for the comment, will let you know how I get on when I can take it back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HuiGe View Post
    I am planning to do S3 27.5 convert to 29er wheels and fork. I know some of you have already done it and i would like to ask you are my calculations right: Is the BB height around 347mm in low setting? And is there still enough clearance between seat tube and tyre when bottoming out?
    Thank you
    Yes, that's about right on BB height. I have run mine as full 29er and as mullet. Both good. For running as 29er, clearance is fine, even with the spacer taken out of the shock for longer travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I recently tried the 27.5 to 29 setup. It works fine, clearance is great with 55mm stroke, and the BB height is basically like a normal enduro bike. Great for racing/bombing down rough stuff. Only problem is super super slack HA. You will get 62.6HA if u use a 160 fork. U will fell the front slipping away on loose turns. Shame cannot use Angleset for this frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    a longer stem will help and also roll the bars more forward. Helped me.

boatesfamily9
    Aug 2019
    I'm about 20 rides in on a new 27.5 comp alloy. Rolling the handlebars forward made a huge difference in controlling the bike while climbing and descending.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Just finished building my 27.5 frame with 29 components. Fork is set at 150mm but will try 160 once I have enough rides.
    Not a fan of Fox shock and going to replace with Cane Creek.
    Question: should I go with coil or air IL or CS? I have Helm Air up front and really like it's tuneability.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Robik, I have both the DB Air CS and DB Coil IL and I think the Air CS is the better choice IMO but only for progression on ramp up. The coil is obviously butter on small bump but these bikes are not progressive enough to avoid slamming the bottom out bumper quite a bit, upping spring rate and running 20-25% sag just loses the small bump compliance and you are not really getting the full benefit of a coil.

Just one blue band spacer (or none) in the AirCS at 30% sag works well.

Edit: sorry just realised you were comparing both Air shoks not the coil, Go with the Air CS imo

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I've just booked to fly to NZ to ride queenstown and surrounds for 2 weeks.

Having never used a bikebag before, am I going to have issues fitting a 29'er S3 in a typical bike bag? Anyone else travelled with the Big 29er before.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Having never used a bikebag before, am I going to have issues fitting a 29'er S3 in a typical bike bag? Anyone else travelled with the Big 29er before.
    My S2 barely fit in an EVOC Bike Bag Pro. Youíll be able to make it work if you let air out of the shock and compress the bike a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member

My S3 29 fits fine in my Evoc bag

20190923_220434 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks. Iíll borrow my buddies and have some practice runs

Canít wait. I feel this is where the big stumpy will shine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Cane Creek Shock

[QUOTE=Robik;14371607]Just finished building my 27.5 frame with 29 components. Fork is set at 150mm but will try 160 once I have enough rides.
    Question: should I go with coil or air IL or CS? I have Helm Air up front and really like it's tuneability.

Robik,

Donīt use a C C Inline air , I did it and broke it in two pieces after the first ride , Cane Creek offered the DB air CS as a more robust option and it has been great after a while. Cane creek realized inlines are not good for stumpys as our bikes put too much force on the down eyelet area . As Brash said Air CS offers good support and bottom out resistance without any harshness. 210x55

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    [QUOTE=tonijou;14378969]
    Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Just finished building my 27.5 frame with 29 components. Fork is set at 150mm but will try 160 once I have enough rides.

Robik,

Donīt use a C C Inline air , I did it and broke it in two pieces after the first ride , Cane Creek offered the DB air CS as a more robust option and it has been great after a while. Cane creek realized inlines are not good for stumpys as our bikes put too much force on the down eyelet area . As Brash said Air CS offers good support and bottom out resistance without any harshness. 210x55
    Thanks for the heads up! I almost pulled the trigger on one off the eBay as the price is too good to pass. Will definitely get an CS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    You won't regret it Robike, great shocks with a LOT of tuning capability. I have a good baseline tune if you get stuck. Even at 225lb body weight I only require 170psi to maintain 30% sag on the Air CS which is a nice change. The initial stroke is very supple, very similar to a fox X2. But has a more pronounced "notch" in the travel when the air travels through the transfer port. You don't notice it on the trail however.

mtbr member
    Guys, now that you've been ridden longer, what's the feeling? Offset 44 or 51 what's the difference or is it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I had a 150mm 51 mm offset Yari on for a month while my stock Rhythm was in for warranty. I noticed the quicker steering with the 51mm offset.(which was fine).. But the added wheelbase and less weight on the front was noticeable. In the end I preferred the 44mm offset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macharza View Post
    Guys, now that you've been ridden longer, what's the feeling? Offset 44 or 51 what's the difference or is it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1408 View Post
    I had a 150mm 51 mm offset Yari on for a month while my stock Rhythm was in for warranty. I noticed the quicker steering with the 51mm offset.(which was fine).. But the added wheelbase and less weight on the front was noticeable. In the end I preferred the 44mm offset.
    Thanks for reply. That's how I thought things were going to change

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Out of interest, what was wrong with your Rhythm?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks for the comment, will let you know how I get on when I can take it back.
    New headset fitted... First ride, problem came back. Everything points to the headset, but to makes things worse the problem comes and goes. The shop thinks it could be the fork if not the headset but it's not like any CSU creak I've heard before, and it's inconsistent.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I just f*** up my knee, so I'm considering swapping chainring to get some oval stuff so I can keep biking before surgery. Yes I'm lazy and don't wanna remove everything at the moment, do anybody know if the OEM NX chainring is standard (3mm) offset or is it 6mm ?(I'm running 11 speed 11-50 cassette). Please let me know if you know what the specs are, cheers !

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    hi all,
    anyone know what the chainline is on the alloy stumpy evo, im changing over to Shimano 12 speed and there's 3 different boost crankset available ...
    ta

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by louf View Post
    hi all,
    anyone know what the chainline is on the alloy stumpy evo, im changing over to Shimano 12 speed and there's 3 different boost crankset available ...
    ta
    i struggled to find this info but..

73mm BB shell width
    2.5mm spacer on drive side of MT800 BB

so

52mm chainline is what i bought. No issues
    Last edited by blackjack88; 10-25-2019 at 07:14 AM. Reason: changed not to be so definitive

mtbr member

73mm BB shell width

so

Good info, thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

73mm BB shell width

so

thanks 👍

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I have some you can buy if youíre still looking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    anyone has info on frame weight of s2 carbon vs alloy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Last edited by JJ1408; 11-01-2019 at 04:44 PM. Reason: mistake

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    First time was fork stuck down.
    Now they are sent off for a creaky steer tube. My shop has a loaner fork which is great.
    Out of interest, what was wrong with your Rhythm?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Take the fork off and wrap the steer tube in a cloth and lightly clamp it horizontal in a vice. Then push the lowers quickly and firmly forward and backward and then try side to side. That will isolate it for you. That will put to rest whether it was the headset or not,
    New headset fitted... First ride, problem came back. Everything points to the headset, but to makes things worse the problem comes and goes. The shop thinks it could be the fork if not the headset but it's not like any CSU creak I've heard before, and it's inconsistent.
    Last edited by JJ1408; 11-02-2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: improve

boatesfamily9
    Aug 2019
    Hey guys - if anyone is interested we weighed my S3 27.5 comp alloy which is stock and it came in just over 34 lbs.

Sorry if I missed this on the thread but seems like some of you bought the 27.5 bike and put 29" wheels on it? If you did I'm curious why you would do that instead of buying the 29er?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by boatesfamily9 View Post
    Hey guys - if anyone is interested we weighed my S3 27.5 comp alloy which is stock and it came in just over 34 lbs.

Sorry if I missed this on the thread but seems like some of you bought the 27.5 bike and put 29" wheels on it? If you did I'm curious why you would do that instead of buying the 29er?
    I bought 27.5 frame for less than 1K in perfect used condition. Had all good parts for 29 build. It came slacker, longer and with higher BB. Win-win?
    PS: I usually swap the frame/bike every year or two, so no big deal

boatesfamily9
    Aug 2019
    Cool thanks have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Good job! IMPORTANT: MRP Progressive Coil Spring

IMPORTANT UPDATE for all those with a Coil Rear Shock:

The MRP progressive coil spring is the truth! Just installed it the other day and took it for a test run off the biggest jumps and drops I could find.

No more having to over spring the bike at 25% sag to prevent harsh bottom outs or prevent the bike from wallowing like crazy under power.

The Stumpy EVO has only 9.5% Progression in the rear linkage which basically means it is almost completely linear and NOT a suitable match for a coil shock, let alone one with only 140-150mm travel.

That said, the MRP progressive spring adds 10-15% progression depending on the weight, giving the EVO around 20% progression and since the progression can be felt at just 50% travel with no real pedal kickback it pedals like a dream with much support in berms and off jumps and drops.

It's a whole NEW BIKE, almost like a short travel Enduro!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

The MRP progressive coil spring is the truth! Just installed it the other day and took it for a test run off the biggest jumps and drops I could find.

No more having to over spring the bike at 25% sag to prevent harsh bottom outs or prevent the bike from wallowing like crazy under power.

The Stumpy EVO has only 9.5% Progression in the rear linkage which basically means it is almost completely linear and NOT a suitable match for a coil shock, let alone one with only 140-150mm travel.

That said, the MRP progressive spring adds 10-15% progression depending on the weight, giving the EVO around 20% progression and since the progression can be felt at just 50% travel with no real pedal kickback it pedals like a dream with much support in berms and off jumps and drops.

I need to invest in one of these springs but I don't think the rate goes high enough yet. I'm running a 600lb now, and it's great until I case a jump or land to flat. The 650lb solves this but rides higher in the travel and unless I compensate with my fork gives a "stinkbug" rear high stance.

So a progressive spring that starts at 600lb and ends at 650 would be spot on.

I'm going to bring both air and coil to NZ for my trip because knowing my luck I'll blow a shock up. But if I'm having too much fun on the jump trails can quickly swap to the air shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hi everyone. I like to buy SJ EVO Comp Alloy, but can't decide if 27.5 or 29? I've ridden Specialized Status and Cube Sting 29 (it has 140mm travel rear). I'm 176. Looking for S2 frame in both wheel sizes. Bike is going to be used in bike parks and on local trails.

I think that 29 is the future, but I don't know if I'm ready for that future. I want to learn a lot of gravity stuff (which is easier on 27.5 and I'm not so experienced in it), but I want to participate in local enduro events (which is easier on 29 - more speed + higher BB).

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

I did some research yesterday on progressive springs. Which one did you go for? Because the MRP spring physically wont fit in a 210x55 CC DB IL (too long) and the SAR/Eibach ones do not have a high enough spring rate for my purpose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plow View Post
    Hi everyone. I like to buy SJ EVO Comp Alloy, but can't decide if 27.5 or 29? I've ridden Specialized Status and Cube Sting 29 (it has 140mm travel rear). I'm 176. Looking for S2 frame in both wheel sizes. Bike is going to be used in bike parks and on local trails.

I think that 29 is the future, but I don't know if I'm ready for that future. I want to learn a lot of gravity stuff (which is easier on 27.5 and I'm not so experienced in it), but I want to participate in local enduro events (which is easier on 29 - more speed + higher BB).
    Iíll throw in my $.02 and say go 29. Mainly I think it just edges out the 27.5 as the better all around bike and the bb height is already low enough. This was my first 29 and honestly couldnít tell much difference in wheel size after a few rides.
    The only time I notice the 29s as a negative is it feels a little awkward hitting dirt jumper style hits with short transitions, which I donít do all that often anyway so no biggie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Freshly completed 29er conversion on a 27.5 EVO Pro S2 Frame!

BB height is 348. Standover is perfect (31" Inseam). 160 / 155 travel. Great tire clearance. Not much reason to spring for the 29 frame given the results. Spot Fin' On!
    That's a sweet build, thinking a S2 27.5 frame build with 29" wheels could fit the bill here. Still progressive but not as crazy (shorter chainstays, slightly shorter reach, higher BB, and shorter wheelbase compared to a S3 29).

Is that BB with the flip chip in high or low? Do you know the HA? Have you tried or do you think you'd be able to run an offset shock bushing for a higher BB and steeper HA?

Also how is the MRP SXg? Might want to run one of those, at least for any park. No issues with only two ISCG 05 holes and play?
    Last edited by TBurd01; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:00 AM. Reason: Quote

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I would like to know also if there is enough clearance b/w the yoke and seat tube for a offset bushing to steepen the angel a little, great for longer forks or 29 set up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lawjar View Post
    I would like to know also if there is enough clearance b/w the yoke and seat tube for a offset bushing to steepen the angel a little, great for longer forks or 29 set up.
    This was discussed previously on this thread and I don't recall clearance being an issue. Some speculated that an offset bushing installed backwards to steepen the head angle might not stay in position well.

I ran a 160mm Fox 36 with the frame in "high" mode and it was great like that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    thx i messaged offset and they replied that the bushing doesnít work backwards for steepening HA

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I'm on a S2 29 EVO, does anyone have any recommendations on a longer dropper besidies the Bike Yoke? I'm looking for a longer dropper than the 150mm that comes with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawjar View Post
    thx i messaged offset and they replied that the bushing doesnít work backwards for steepening HA
    That's odd... Did they simply not recommend it, or flat-out state "it won't function"?
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by McDizzle View Post
    I'm on a S2 29 EVO, does anyone have any recommendations on a longer dropper besidies the Bike Yoke? I'm looking for a longer dropper than the 150mm that comes with it.
    I grabbed the 170mm manic off a guy with a new enduro and itís great. Was super cheap and works just as good as the fox transfer on my other bike. Not as a pronounced ďthudĒ when itís extended but thatís no big deal.

Just that 20mm difference made a noticeable change to my body positioning when going downhill, no more getting snagged on super steep chutes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    grabbed a takeoff rockshox deluxe rt3 in 210x52.5 off a Levo for next to nothing. Ordered a megneg can for it so I'm interested to see how that goes.

I really need to stop fiddling with suspension

mtbr member
    No you don't. You're helping all of us by taking out the guesswork

Seriously, I'm trying something very similar. Have a Super Deluxe and waiting on a MegNeg to try instead of the coil.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote: ĎOffset bushings canít be used in reverse to steepen the bike Iím afraidí

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Whelp, shock #5 has failed. Its the 3rd "new" shock that's failed, 5th "build" failure.

Fox stated they're warrantying some parts and I'm paying for seals and fluid since I got a summer out of the shock (somewhat reasonable). They noted a scored damper shaft, which was also noted one one of my previous returns, and yet no one is talking about the bike frame. I had ZERO issues all summer, with about 450 miles of riding since the last failure. Shock failed minutes into my first ride with temps below freezing. I'm starting to wonder if my frame warps with temperature.

I have zero confidence the next shock is going to survive now that temps are staying in the 20's to 30's and I'm getting tired of 2 week turn around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I feel for you. I had 6 shock failures with a 2018 Enduro this spring. One every 2-3 weeks. Eventually it was determined that my frame was out of alignment and Specialized bought me out. Then I bought the evo s3 29 in March 2019. I am 215lb and ride fast on chunky terrain with small jumps. I ride 3-4 times a week. Knock on wood I have had no issues with my stock shock. I even bought a spare because i was anticipating the stumpy having problems, but it hasn't. It must be the bike. Take the rear shock off. Then reattach the front shock mount and put the yoke under the rear hole. Look from above and see if the holes line up they should be equal side to side. offCheers
    Quote Originally Posted by JKRed View Post
    Whelp, shock #5 has failed. Its the 3rd "new" shock that's failed, 5th "build" failure.

Fox stated they're warrantying some parts and I'm paying for seals and fluid since I got a summer out of the shock (somewhat reasonable). They noted a scored damper shaft, which was also noted one one of my previous returns, and yet no one is talking about the bike frame. I had ZERO issues all summer, with about 450 miles of riding since the last failure. Shock failed minutes into my first ride with temps below freezing. I'm starting to wonder if my frame warps with temperature.

I have zero confidence the next shock is going to survive now that temps are staying in the 20's to 30's and I'm getting tired of 2 week turn around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'd take the frame to a local engineering shop with a flat table and get them to check it. Local bike shop is unlikely to have the equipment or ability to check it accurately enough.

I'd strip the bike down to just the frame, mount it to the flat table by clamping the bb shell to the table. Then use a height gauge to measure a number of points fully extended and then again fully compressed. I'd be looking at the pivots and then the axle/brake mount area, as any wonkyness will be amplified by the time it gets to the axle.

Enduro is renowned for eating shocks, more so if you are heavier/aggressive with bikes. I'm unlucky that I'm 90kg and don't hang about. Killed 3 STXs, first one air leak and then it started knocking, fault couldn't be found. Had a TTX for over a year now with no issues, spesh should of fitted coils to the Enduro from day one.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yeah, every single one has been a damper failure. Two now with a scored shaft that I know of. Iím not a heavy rider but a fairly aggressive one.

Iím happy that Fox is still standing me hind it (they upgraded me to a factory DPX2 after the second failure), but I need to figure out how to prove it to specialized. May let it cold soak in the garage with the shock off at the yoke like suggested and see if it goes out of alignment, then bring it into the basement to warm up and recheck.

Iíve thought of putting it on a fixture on my welding table to measure it but I donít feel like spending the money. Yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Scored on the same side?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir HC View Post
    Scored on the same side?
    I donít know. Didnít get anymore explanation than it was scored.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Anyone here swapped from an Enduro to a Stumpy Evo?

I have a sworks with coil/lyriks and its an awesome bit of kit. Had it two years now, time for a change.

After something a bit longer/slacker, with a bottle cage. Stump Evo carbon fits the bill, will be adding a big bike to the fleet before the summer, intention of the evo is to be closer to my smuggler as the trails I ride doesn't warrant big bike travel, but the slackness is good for the steep stuff. Lately I'm picking he smuggler up as its better on the flatter sections and putting up with it on the steep stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I rode a 2018 large enduro 29 and enjoyed the switch to a S3 29. Evo is faster up and down. But I did have to adjust my riding style.(weight over the front more and lining up corners different). Also, I am not doing big drops anymore. It was perfect for our enduro races. I have to ride it in high at 27% sag or otherwise pedal strikes are annoying. I like the Geometry of the new Norco Sight (sorry) .
    Anyone here swapped from an Enduro to a Stumpy Evo?

I have a sworks with coil/lyriks and its an awesome bit of kit. Had it two years now, time for a change.

After something a bit longer/slacker, with a bottle cage. Stump Evo carbon fits the bill, will be adding a big bike to the fleet before the summer, intention of the evo is to be closer to my smuggler as the trails I ride doesn't warrant big bike travel, but the slackness is good for the steep stuff. Lately I'm picking he smuggler up as its better on the flatter sections and putting up with it on the steep stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I grabbed the 170mm manic off a guy with a new enduro and itís great. Was super cheap and works just as good as the fox transfer on my other bike. Not as a pronounced ďthudĒ when itís extended but thatís no big deal.

Just that 20mm difference made a noticeable change to my body positioning when going downhill, no more getting snagged on super steep chutes.
    That's good to know. I was looking at travel more than 170mm, but if you feel that 20mm difference made a big difference then I might go ahead and try it. I'm also noticing on steep terrain, the seat is not quite low enough and thumping right in between my thighs. I wa also looking at the PNW droppers, but not sure how big of one would actually fit in an S2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    That's good to know. I was looking at travel more than 170mm, but if you feel that 20mm difference made a big difference then I might go ahead and try it. I'm also noticing on steep terrain, the seat is not quite low enough and thumping right in between my thighs. I wa also looking at the PNW droppers, but not sure how big of one would actually fit in an S2.
    Next time you are out for a ride, drop your seat 20mm to get the idea of what a 170mm drop would be like. 20mm was enough to stop me getting hung up with my crotch on the back of the seat so may be fine for you. Although 20mm doesn't sound like much it was noticeable.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    ThereĎs still no manic 170mm for after market?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Anyone confirm if the DHX2 has low/high speed rebound and compression?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone confirm if the DHX2 has low/high speed rebound and compression?
    It does not. Just low speed. Itís not the factory DHX2. Itís performance elite.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Has anyone experimented with making a SHORT TRAVEL version of their EVO? If my calculations are correct the yoke and shorter travel shock I think it's the 190x42.5 would give the evo a 120mm rear and with a 130mm front fork would give it about a 65 degree head angle, which to me sounds like a hoot of a trailbike. My plan is to have an enduro for racing and want a short travel trail bike, that I could turn into an enduro race bike if need be (by switching link and shock/fork). Has anyone experimented with this set up? On paper I'm thinking shorter travel ripper something like the SB130...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    It does not. Just low speed. Itís not the factory DHX2. Itís performance elite.

£3k frame and they cheap out on the shock, hmmmm. Was very close to pulling the trigger, wonder if its possible to have the extra adjustment added.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    does anyone know if the 27.5 stumpy evo has the same 5mm spacer in the DHX2 rear shock

and what does snipping it off up the travel to?

Is the 154mm travel figure for a 29er with the spacer removed? or is that both wheel sizes?

cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    Has anyone experimented with making a SHORT TRAVEL version of their EVO? If my calculations are correct the yoke and shorter travel shock I think it's the 190x42.5 would give the evo a 120mm rear and with a 130mm front fork would give it about a 65 degree head angle, which to me sounds like a hoot of a trailbike. My plan is to have an enduro for racing and want a short travel trail bike, that I could turn into an enduro race bike if need be (by switching link and shock/fork). Has anyone experimented with this set up? On paper I'm thinking shorter travel ripper something like the SB130...
    I would think the bottom bracket would be on the ground with this setup?

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    does anyone know if the 27.5 stumpy evo has the same 5mm spacer in the DHX2 rear shock

and what does snipping it off up the travel to?

Is the 154mm travel figure for a 29er with the spacer removed? or is that both wheel sizes?

cheers
    It has a 2.5mm spacer. The shock is a 210x55. You get a bit more travel with the 2.5mm removed. I believe 158mm.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    Given how low the BB is already, Iím thinking this mod would make it almost unrideable in any kind of Rocky or bumpy terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Someone here who has comparisons with 150 and 160 mm travel in the front? Is the climbing ability worse? Is the bike more nervous on steep climbs in the front? Is there a noticable change in the steering angle and seat angle? What about the BB hight? Btw I would like to try a 160mm Ultimate Lyrics. Can I rebuild it to 150mm?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I went 160 then 170. I think the sweet spot is 160 on these bikes. 170 in high mode is about 63.2 degrees and the bb height ends up about on par with every other modern 29 enduro bike. The best part about this bike is the stupid low BB If gravity riding is your focus.

160mm in high mode would be my ultimate combo. However I should state that I use this bike purely for shuttle/park riding now that Iíve got a lazy boy (Ebike)

Adjusting Travel is just an air shaft away and 30 mins of your time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    @brash
    Thank you for your assessment. Actually i'm a little bit confused if i should go full coil with a rfx36 m2 coil (i'm already using a ttx22 coil) or if i should combine with a lyrik ultimate or a rfx36 m2 air....its all about stupid first world decisions...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Given how low the BB is already, Iím thinking this mod would make it almost unrideable in any kind of Rocky or bumpy terrain.
    EVO BB height is 328mm in low 334mm in high
    Stumpy ST BB height is 333mm in low

It's pretty safe to say that if you put the rear travel at 120/130 and ran a 140mm front fork the BB would still be in the 330mm range. Does anyone have any real world numbers of how much the BB height drops per 10mm of reduction in fork travel?

With 120 rear and 140 front it would be about a 64.5 HA and 330mm BB height with only about a 39mm BB drop through travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by deralteser View Post
    Someone here who has comparisons with 150 and 160 mm travel in the front? Is the climbing ability worse? Is the bike more nervous on steep climbs in the front? Is there a noticable change in the steering angle and seat angle? What about the BB hight? Btw I would like to try a 160mm Ultimate Lyrics. Can I rebuild it to 150mm?
    I would also like to get some more feedback on this for people who have tried both. It seems like some people really like it at 160mm in high. Other seem to think that 150mm is the sweet spot and didn't care for it at 160mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Projectnortheast View Post
    EVO BB height is 328mm in low 334mm in high
    Stumpy ST BB height is 333mm in low

It's pretty safe to say that if you put the rear travel at 120/130 and ran a 140mm front fork the BB would still be in the 330mm range. Does anyone have any real world numbers of how much the BB height drops per 10mm of reduction in fork travel?

With 120 rear and 140 front it would be about a 64.5 HA and 330mm BB height with only about a 39mm BB drop through travel.
    have fun

https://bikegeo.muha.cc/

mtbr member
    £3k frame and they cheap out on the shock, hmmmm. Was very close to pulling the trigger, wonder if its possible to have the extra adjustment added.
    Yes, you can convert it over to both HSC/HSR & LSC/LSR. It gets expensive though. The valves are around $125 each and labor is approximately $80-$100.

Probably better to sell it and purchase a factory dhx2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Anyone considering or purchased an MRP progressive spring? what are your impressions?

i'm 160lbs on a 500lb spring and i have found myself bottoming harshly on some of the bigger drops and jumps. website says that the 500+ sping at 55 stroke start at 475lbs and ends stroke at 575lbs, this sound almost perfect to me.

i'm wondering if that extra 20% progressiveness is going to help give the bike some more support and i can dial out some more low speed comp.

cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    It will help a lot. I think off the top of my head the Evo is 8-9% progressive so the additional ramp up will be just the ticket. Itís a shame they donít make a heavier progressive spring for us bigger fellas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It really depends how you are using this bike. It can be made to ba a slack trail bike or a downhill monster. I had a 160mm on for a month (51mm offset though) and I enjoyed getting the 150mm 44 mm back on it. I ride it in high with 27% sag in rear. I ride chunky technical up and down and I like the stock geo. But.........a little more bb height would be nice. I also think set up can influence it just as much as adding 10mm to the front.
    Things like sag and how you set up the front shock with tokens. I like it riding higher in the travel and having it playful , so I increased air volume and and run it with a bit less sag on both ends.
    I would also like to get some more feedback on this for people who have tried both. It seems like some people really like it at 160mm in high. Other seem to think that 150mm is the sweet spot and didn't care for it at 160mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So always thinking about what my next bike is. Currently on a 2015 S-Works Enduro 27.5. 170 Lyric upfront and bike yoked with a 150 Monarch. I really like the bike but ya know always looking and the new carbon ST Evo 27.5 caught my eye. Looks like such a fun bike. I was looking through the specs on the Specialize site and it says the 150 Fox fork thats listed on the bike as a 37mm offset? I dont see Fox making that for in 150 only in 170. Is this a typo?

https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=36

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/st...=262636-170570

mtbr member
    I had mine (29 S3) with the stock 150mm for 2 months, then 160mm for the last 4 months or so. I can absolutely say that for me 160mm + high setting is the ultimate configuration.

Downhill is just a little better, you can have a marginally smother fork and a taller stack (nice if you ride flat pedals).

Uphill is where it's at, the taller fork together with the high setting made the BB height perfect. I completely changed what I can pedal over in climbs, much more balanced bike

mtbr member
    Had an opportunity to mush some bikes together and tried out an S2 27.5" with an S3 29" (my daily driver) front end. Both 2.6 Butchers

I have to say it's pretty dang fun!
    The frame is kind of the Goldilocks size for me (5'10") as I find my S3
    a bit beefy to throw around with ease.

HTA is deep end of 63/62* with 150mm 44 Fork, which pedaled ok enough, with acceptable clearance - considering the 170mm cranks and high setting on shock.
    She rips downhill though! I really want to head to something a little more aggro than my local trails offer and see what happens.

I'm also looking forward to trying it in full 29" mode, albeit in low mode to keep the BB under control. Unsure if I have the legs for the 32t ring tho...

I know it's not perfect, but this set up allows my tinker-itis to go wild and have a good time messing around with different parts.
    Last edited by GhostRing; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:26 PM.
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropper View Post
    So always thinking about what my next bike is. Currently on a 2015 S-Works Enduro 27.5. 170 Lyric upfront and bike yoked with a 150 Monarch. I really like the bike but ya know always looking and the new carbon ST Evo 27.5 caught my eye. Looks like such a fun bike. I was looking through the specs on the Specialize site and it says the 150 Fox fork thats listed on the bike as a 37mm offset? I dont see Fox making that for in 150 only in 170. Is this a typo?

https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=36

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/st...=262636-170570
    No - that is not a typo. Fox, Rockshox and others offer manufacturers products and configurations that are not available retail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    No - that is not a typo. Fox, Rockshox and others offer manufacturers products and configurations that are not available retail.
    So funny cuz specialized has a whole new add campaign about no more proprietary bullshit...not calling it proprietary but its definitely not an off the shelf config. Id have to buy the 170 and make it a 150.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Carbon S2 27.5 2020 Fox X2 fitment if anyone is curious if it fits. It does.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Good to know it fits, albeit very tight. I'm on the fence of getting an MRP progressive spring or just ponying up for the X2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-f48dcc44-a17c-4d76-b58b-0d2899be2475.jpg

Was going to pickup a carbon frame, but this came up for sale local(ish) to me. Will be swapping over the parts from my Enduro, see how it goes.

450lb spring on it currently which is far too soft. Thinking a 550/600 is the way to go given what I've read over the past few pages. (probably end up buying both)

Running a 525 on the enduro, which is perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Good to know it fits, albeit very tight. I'm on the fence of getting an MRP progressive spring or just ponying up for the X2.
    Do mrp have a suitable length coil for the stumpy evo now? I need a heavier spring too

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by louf View Post
    Do mrp have a suitable length coil for the stumpy evo now? I need a heavier spring too
    yea the progressive springs fit anything from 200mm eye-to-eye to 230mm and up to 65mm stroke

so an mrp progressive spring will fit the 210x52.5 on your stumpy with the spacer kits they provide for your shock.

https://mrpbike.com/products/enduro-...e-coil-springs

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Finished up the build on Friday, weighed in at 34lbs, which is 1.5lbs heavier than my sworks enduro. Could easily get them the same (arch wheels, xtr pedals, hillbilly up front rather than the assegai).

Saturday was always going to be a tough test, trails are slippy, twisty and pretty steep in places. Wasn't a fan of the coil shock, made the bike stick to the ground a bit too much for my liking.. Local shop recommended a 650lb spring for my 210lbs, miles out, ended up borrowing a 550 off a mate, spot on for the 30% sag.

Had the bars far too low on Friday, so chucked a few spacers under the stem, much better, but being a slack bike, the bars come back a bit more as you go up. 105mm headtube is a bit daft IMO, should be more like 120, you will also end up with a more realistic reach number as well.

Bike was ok, good on the high speed stuff and good through the turns, rear end felt pretty locked down, fair amount of traction, just you couldn't get it to unstick when you wanted to.

Made a load of changes Saturday night, off came the coil shock, on went a DB inline. 20mm bars swapped out for a set of 30mm rise bars. Quick carpark test, felt good.

Sundays trails are a fair bit faster, way more jumps and not as steep, but plenty of turns. Two runs down the hill and then back to the car for more air pressure and a few more clicks of compression damping on the shock.

Bike is a huge improvement over Saturday, cane creek db IL is a much better fit for the bike although could do with some volume spacers to get it to ramp a bit more in the last bit of its travel.

Wonder when spesh are making an S4 frame, would be welcomed.

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-stumpevonightshot.jpg

mtbr member
    After some experimenting, so dont think a coil is the right choice the SJ Evo. It's too linear and just makes for a dead feeling bike. A buddy and I even tried the MRP Progressive spring and still doesnt come close to the the feel and response of a good air shock.
    20 SJ Evo 29, 20 DB Release 29, 18 Vitus Dominer DH

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    After some experimenting, so dont think a coil is the right choice the SJ Evo. It's too linear and just makes for a dead feeling bike. A buddy and I even tried the MRP Progressive spring and still doesnt come close to the the feel and response of a good air shock.
    Definitely agree. What air shock did you settle on?

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    I'm currently running a DVO Topaz with 4 volume bands. I had the Topaz at 50mm and just recently pulled the reducer to extend it to 55mm. Unlike all the other brands DVO spacers clip on so you can add or reduce travel without removing the shock from the bike.
    20 SJ Evo 29, 20 DB Release 29, 18 Vitus Dominer DH

mtbr member
    so, would a Fox float X2 also fit the 29 S2 frame?
    I think Sales Punk mentioned it would not...can someone confirm?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
    so, would a Fox float X2 also fit the 29 S2 frame?
    I think Sales Punk mentioned it would not...can someone confirm?

Thanks
    Thatís the shock Iím trying. I have a 2020 X2. Fits my S2 Carbon. Posted a few messages above. Have not had a chance to ride it. Need to add some volume spacers from the sound of things though. Initial parking lot ride feels like even at 27% sag it blows through the travel.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    Thatís the shock Iím trying. I have a 2020 X2. Fits my S2 Carbon. Posted a few messages above. Have not had a chance to ride it. Need to add some volume spacers from the sound of things though. Initial parking lot ride feels like even at 27% sag it blows through the travel.

Yah , I saw your post but I'm not sure if the 27.5 and 29 S2 frames are the same?
    Does anyone know?

mtbr member
    Looking at the frames - I don't believe they are. In addition, there is also a difference between al and cf frames fitting the x2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Brash or other guys with 600lb+ springs on your dhx2, what springs are you running? Having trouble finding manufacturers that will make springs that heavy

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippin Trolls View Post
    Brash or other guys with 600lb+ springs on your dhx2, what springs are you running? Having trouble finding manufacturers that will make springs that heavy
    Cane Creek only do VALT's up to 650.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Cane Creek only do VALT's up to 650.
    Cool Iíll check them out. Iím about 205lbs geared up and aggressive but I also like to stay up in the travel so I was thinking 650 lb spring would work well for me, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Cool Iíll check them out. Iím about 205lbs geared up and aggressive but I also like to stay up in the travel so I was thinking 650 lb spring would work well for me, thanks!
    All good, Cane Creek announced their progressive VALT springs today but unfortunately dont have a rate high enough for me.

Spent the week in New Zealand testing suspension. The gondola at Queenstown is super fast so repeating runs was easy. Run into Steve from vorsprung in the lift line and ended up picking his brain. In the end the super cheap deluxe rt3 I bought got transformed into a world beater with tractive tune and Meg neg.

Initially I rode the cc db coil IL, got a good tune but some of the flat landings resulted in assaulting the bottom out bumper. Then I swapped to my go to Cane Creek Air CS and got it even better with some tweaking of lsc.

Then I tried the ext storia for 2 days and it was excellent, but the price was about 4x what the little deluxe cost me in the end. The deluxe with the mods really does feel like coil until you come to the end stroke where it progresses nicely. Itís like the best bit of all the shocks rolled into one. Setup was super fast too and within 2 runs I found a good baseline. You can push down with one hand on the seat at 280psi and can push through the stroke within reason.

Iíd say if you had the $$ the ext is amazing. But I found the deluxe to be every bit as good and I can service this one at home. Ended up with a 2 red spacers in the positive side and 2 bands in the negative chamber, 5 clicks rebound and obviously open on the 3 position switch.

Another thing we found during the whole process was that one of my linkage bearings was toast. Replacing that got rid of the mid stroke notch the bike had which was such a simple but ignored issue.

I had a great trip and met some very knowledgeable people. I was very close to moving on from the Evo frame to something else but the big S3 29er was amazing in the nz steeps

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-img_0375.jpg

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-seweq.jpg

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-chopper3quarter.jpg

2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-3434.jpg

mtbr member
    The Fox steel springs are available in 650#, 700#, and 800#. I believe the SLS only go up to 600#.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Shock #6 failed first cold ride after rebuild, second ride total and less than 5 miles. 22*F when I started my ride. So now I've got 6 shock failures all at temps below freezing with about 700 miles clocked over the year. 550-ish of those were one shock over the warm season.

LBS is finally starting the conversation with Specialized so we'll see how this goes. I've pretty much stated I'm unwilling to try another DPX2 in this frame. If specialized wants me to try another shock I'll try a DHX2, otherwise I expect a new frame.

I find it a bit insane that it's gone this long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JKRed View Post
    Shock #6 failed first cold ride after rebuild, second ride total and less than 5 miles. 22*F when I started my ride. So now I've got 6 shock failures all at temps below freezing with about 700 miles clocked over the year. 550-ish of those were one shock over the warm season.

LBS is finally starting the conversation with Specialized so we'll see how this goes. I've pretty much stated I'm unwilling to try another DPX2 in this frame. If specialized wants me to try another shock I'll try a DHX2, otherwise I expect a new frame.

I find it a bit insane that it's gone this long.
    I had 6 shock failures in 5 months on a 2018 enduro and Specialized finally bought me out, full price I paid. Then I bought the S3 evo and have had no problems. I have ridden it since March, I am 215lbs and ride 3 days a week. Fast and chunky. It has to be your frame. It took a 3rd party shock repair shop and my LBS to discover the frame was misaligned. Specialized took the bike for a month( gave me a brand new loaner bike) and said it was fine, but it wasnt. In the end Specialized always takes great care of their customers. Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    To Brash,
    Funny you say that about the Deluxe. I bought a back up shock ( deluxe RCT3 from a medium expert stumpjumper), because i was worried I would need a back up. I put in on the other day, threw some air in it , and wow it feels really good . Doesnt spike on fast hits. Also very plush off the top. Much better than the stock DPX2.
    I wonder with the high PSI (285) that I have to use on the DPX2 doesnt work well, Maybe the shock tune doesnt work for my weight with the DPX2
    Last edited by JJ1408; 3 Days Ago at 11:57 AM. Reason: spacing

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1408 View Post
    To Brash,
    Funny you say that about the Deluxe. I bought a back up shock ( deluxe RCT3 from a medium expert stumpjumper), because i was worried I would need a back up. I put in on the other day, threw some air in it , and wow it feels really good . Doesnt spike on fast hits. Also very plush off the top. Much better than the stock DPX2.
    I wonder with the high PSI (285) that I have to use on the DPX2 doesnt work well, Maybe the shock tune doesnt work for my weight with the DPX2
    Spot on, for heavy guys the DPX2 isn't the best. (in the standard tune I will add)

Throw a meg neg on that deluxe you have, that alone makes a massive difference. The huge negative air space gives it fantastic small bump and very linear air spring curve but with a very smooth ramp up at the end with no spike. I was very impressed. The Vorsprung tuning after the fact just made it even better and the rear tyre feels glued to the ground on off camber/roots.

The megneg is well priced and is a pretty comprehensive kit, it was also a breeze to install, took me maybe 30 mins and that was really taking my time and cleaning everything thoroughly. Worth a shot.

mtbr member
    I love this bike

IMG_20191209_065106_740 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

One comment though, not sure it is really well suited to a coil. I find the climb switch is absolutely mandatory on smoother climbs to eliminate pedal feedback. If I dial in enough rebound damping it gets harsh in the rocks. Need to put on my X2 and see if that improves the climbing while leaving the descending unaffected.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Upgrading to the carbon frame and a new fork. The frame and lyrik I was running are up for grabs.

S2 alloy 29" Frame (no shock)

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2693106/

Lyrik rc2 160mm 51mm offset

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2693104/

Pinkbike or Instagram (@livefreeandshred) are the best way to get in touch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Just put a cane creek 500-610lb progressive spring on my Evo 27.5.

I'm 160lb I sit at 28% sag and can get the bump stop all the way down to the bottom just by getting on, standing and pumping the bike down in my living room. I don't feel it hit bottom though but it's almost there, there's probably 10mm stroke left.

I guess I won't know the real result until I'm out on the trail but I expected maybe a little more resistance.

I've come from a 500lb linear spring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

6 month ride review Carbon Pro

This bike is Fantastic! The bike is stock and I have been thinking about putting new parts on it but honestly I would hate to ruin the way it rides. I'm 5'10"ish and about 175lbs. The stock coil seems to work great for me. My local rides are pretty boring with very little elevation change but the bike pedals so well and is so easy to ride that it handles everything. I've taken it to a few bike parks over the past few months and it's handled everything I could throw at it. I've also made several trips to the mountains to just ride singletrack and it's climbed everything better than I would ever have thought. I'm certainly no pro or anything. I gotta say, I thought that the geometry might be way too slack for my local trails but I've destroyed all my old times on every trail I've ridden.

Sweet bike! Love it!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Specialized finally got back on my frame. Theyíre not going to replace it. Yet.

They want to eliminate the two variables from the equation; Air shock, and Fox. So RockShox coil here I come.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011