Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1061
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Got my S3 29ď evo on friday - the brushed alloy is so nice in person.
    Just had a short ride (wet german winter...) - was more busy with cleaning the bike afterwards than riding

Wanna thank you all for sharing your thoughts, experiences and reviews here - this thread finally led me to buy the evo!

Dialing in th suspension atm and have one question: are the damping clicks in the specialized setup app from fully open or closed? Guess from closed?
    With 180 / 82kg I found the suggested psi for the fork too much, shock psi seems ok with 215 psi. Do the bike come with any additional spacers? Got none from my dealer.

mtbr member
    Usually clicks are always counted from fully closed (clockwise), then count clicks out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aenduro View Post
    Got my S3 29ď evo on friday - the brushed alloy is so nice in person.
    Just had a short ride (wet german winter...) - was more busy with cleaning the bike afterwards than riding

Wanna thank you all for sharing your thoughts, experiences and reviews here - this thread finally led me to buy the evo!

Dialing in th suspension atm and have one question: are the damping clicks in the specialized setup app from fully open or closed? Guess from closed?
    With 180 / 82kg I found the suggested psi for the fork too much, shock psi seems ok with 215 psi. Do the bike come with any additional spacers? Got none from my dealer.
    The fork should come stock with three spacers which was a little to harsh or me . After I removed two spacers it feels pretty good near the suggested 80psi setting for my weight of 175 lbs.
    Congrats btw!

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Curiosity got the best me. One portly X-fusion Manic. Anybody got real weights of other 34.9 options?
    2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-epm8trs-imgur.jpg
    Whats this line for?

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    Has anyone fitted (or found) a stealth rear axle yet? I want to change out the stock one as it looks a bit vulnerable to rock strikes but having difficulty finding the right one. Looks like M12x1 thread, 170mm total length with 10mm threaded length.
    2019 Stumpjumper EVO thread-screen-shot-2019-02-03-9.31.59-pm.jpg

SBC Part# S170200003

It sits nice and flush on the frame.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    Curiosity got the best me. One portly X-fusion Manic. Anybody got real weights of other 34.9 options?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epm8trs - Imgur.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	1236558
    Bikeyoke lists their 34.9 Revive 160mm dropper at 590g. I have one on my Enduro and it is without a doubt the nicest dropper I've used. I haven't weighed it personally though.

They list their 185mm dropper at 630g, which is pretty great for that much travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Bikeyoke lists their 34.9 Revive 160mm dropper at 590g. I have one on my Enduro and it is without a doubt the nicest dropper I've used. I haven't weighed it personally though.

They list their 185mm dropper at 630g, which is pretty great for that much travel.
    I moved my 30.9 160mm Revive over from my old bike with a Superstar shim, so imagine quite a bit of saving. Need to give the bike some proper tlc this weekend so I'll pop it out and weigh it.

mtbr member
    Added a few more bikes to the garage. Will be interesting to see the differences between them all

20190201_134542 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

20190201_134551 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

20190203_104927 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Added a few more bikes to the garage. Will be interesting to see the differences between them all
    $$$$$$$$$
    S Works LT and a Kenovo? Dig it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

20190201_134542 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

20190201_134551 by Sales Punk, on Flickr

20190203_104927 by Sales Punk, on Flickr
    Dumb question, but how does that ryhthm compare to the grip2 36?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I honestly canít pick much a difference between the rhythm and factory. Iíve been baby sitting a buddyís SB150 and riding it a bit and they are both very good in my opinion.

You would think there would be a huge gap in performance, but for a budget OEM fork the rhythm has been fantastic so far.

Sure you have a lot of fine tuning adjustment available, but I really like the simplicity of the fitgrip dampener. Itís pretty much set and forget. Iíve got a factory 40 on my DH bike and Iím always chasing the dragon as far as clickers trying to get that little bit more from them. Sort of frustrates me more than anything.

In short, I wouldnít rush and replace the fork straight away. Itís definitely a capable fork and does the job well.

What I am considering however is the new vorsprung smashpot coil conversion.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Enough time on the SB150 to give thoughts vs SJ evo? I've ridden the 150 a bit, but really am intrigued by the geo/build kit/ and price of the evo for it's intended purpose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    what the story with fitting a bash guard on these, usual 3 hole iscg o5?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by louf View Post
    what the story with fitting a bash guard on these, usual 3 hole iscg o5?
    I've got a modified Funn Zippa on there, just missing the 3rd bolt. The ISCG tabs on the Evo are on a big old lump of metal around the BB so seems fine, and has taken some decent rock strikes already with no discernible damage to guide or frame (other than chunks out of the nylon taco). I know Curtis Keene had pics of his usual MRP guide mounted the same way too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Is the top bolt hole missing?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Is the top bolt hole missing?
    No - it's the rearmost lower one. Will get a pic up for you 👍

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Enough time on the SB150 to give thoughts vs SJ evo? I've ridden the 150 a bit, but really am intrigued by the geo/build kit/ and price of the evo for it's intended purpose.
    Yeah sure.

My mates SB150 is his dream bike, not a single cent was spared on the build. In short it cost $13,500 AU dollars, I got my stumpy for $4300. So put that into perspective.... nearly triple the cost. Is the Yeti triple the bike? God No! So hard to compare on build kits, this bike is XX1 everything, chris king hubs, enve wheels.... all the fruit.

The yeti is a large with 480mm reach, so very similar in sizing.

The yeti climbs unbelievable, it just seems to accelerate with every pedal stroke. You feel fresher on the same climb compared to the stumpy. The yeti also seems a bit more manoeuvrable in the tighter downhill stuff with the shorter chain stays.

Where the stumpy shines is steep and fast stuff. You just let off the brakes and let the bike demolish everything in it's path. Now I have a coil up back and a bit more travel line choice isn't determined by the smoothest line anymore. Just pick the straightest/fastest line and hang on.

So I suppose if money was no object, I'd choose the Yeti obviously. But if this new carbon model comes out with Ohlins coil and all the fruit.... well then it would be a harder decision. They are both excellent bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi Folks

Would S3 be enough for 6.2 rider?
    Do You know maybe why some markets in EU doesn't offer black version ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Placek View Post
    Hi Folks

It should be fine, I'm 186cm and it's a good fit I find. That's on a 29er. Remember the 650B version has a bit more reach again.

No black ones in Australia either, might be a US thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    cool, no worries picking the bike up tomorrow. guess I'll get another mrp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    For those who have gone 170mm fork any regrets?

I have the chance to pickup a set of 36 factory's with the Push ACS3 coil conversion done for a bargain price. It's 51mm offset but I don't think that's a deal breaker.

What concerns me is at 170mm HA will be 63.2 degrees in high mode. Is it noticeable? I noticed a difference going from 150 to 160.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by brash View Post

I have the chance to pickup a set of 36 factory's with the Push ACS3 coil conversion done for a bargain price. It's 51mm offset but I don't think that's a deal breaker.

What concerns me is at 170mm HA will be 63.2 degrees in high mode. Is it noticeable? I noticed a difference going from 150 to 160.
    Nope - definitely no regrets at 170 on 27.5" S3. I found if anything, the slight BB raise helps, and I dropped one 5mm spacer from under the stem to end up at about same stack/reach once sag factored in.

Running 170 front, 163 rear, coil both ends means it's an absolute monster. If you have chance to go coil both ends with a bargain fork deal, you'd be mad to miss it - the bike really suits coil both ends, but be warned, it ends up picking up even more speed and can result in some "interesting" situations until you get used to it 😂🤣😂 I had more than a few moments on the first ride......

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks for that. Already have a coil in rear at 57mm stroke.

I come from a DH background so it seems right up my alley. Iíll grab the fork

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks for that. Already have a coil in rear at 57mm stroke.

I come from a DH background so it seems right up my alley. Iíll grab the fork
    Good man. Look forward to seeing the latest tweaks! Which reminds me, need to try and get some new pics of mine this weekend....

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Got to ride my evo today in 65į in New England ! Anyways, it was a mudbog and I expected the trails I rode to be tough on this bike. It was techy rocks and roots and steep climbs. HOLY CRAP I cleaned EVERYTHING I attempted 1st try. Not only is this bike good at high speed destruction, it is a great trail bike too. At least in my opinion.

And for those curious about the 51mm offset fork, I like it better than the 44mm it feels more familiar, I dont feel like it steers too quick either.

Needless to say I am VERY VERY impressed with this bike. Now I need to do some high speed rock smashing with it. I'm sure I won't be disappointed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    Dumb question, but how does that ryhthm compare to the grip2 36?
    Haven't ridden the Factory 36 yet, but I will report back after a few rides

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Interesting video. I think they are of the same opinions we all are. Great bike just a tad chubby

More cushion for the pushin!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just curious if anyone found a bottle with > 500ml / 17oz that fits with the stock shock? I'm used to 750ml / 25oz water bottles for my ride, currently using the zee cage with a standard 500ml bottle. Sure, I also have this evoc enduro backpack with 3l hydr bladder for longer rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Just curious if anyone found a bottle with > 500ml / 17oz that fits with the stock shock? I'm used to 750ml / 25oz water bottles for my ride, currently using the zee cage with a standard 500ml bottle. Sure, I also have this evoc enduro backpack with 3l hydr bladder for longer rides.
    The Fabric cageless 700ml ones do - just be sure to do up the bolts tight so it doesn't bounce out. Once I did that, no problem at all. The only thing I found (and this might be a cageless bottle issue rather than a frame layout one) is that it can be a bit hard to remove and replace "in motion".

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrm View Post
    The Fabric cageless 700ml ones do - just be sure to do up the bolts tight so it doesn't bounce out. Once I did that, no problem at all. The only thing I found (and this might be a cageless bottle issue rather than a frame layout one) is that it can be a bit hard to remove and replace "in motion".
    thank you! I'll check this soon. On the other hand, there's still some room between bottom of the zee cage and the seat tube, but not possible to shift the cage more downward. Maybe there's a bottle cage with more gap for the screws and thereby more space to move it up/down?

edit:
    I've read horrible reviews about the fabric cageless. Either all the ppl can't mount that thing properly or you just had luck until now
    Last edited by aenduro; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just picked up my 29 s2 evo, the seat post to steerer length is the exact same (at my saddle height) 457mm as my knolly warden. This is great as I took bloody ages working on the fit of that bike and I've an extra 60mm of wheel base

going to measure the actual bb height an try a figure future fork and shock length. very disappointed about the rear iscg mount cant imagine a taco bash would last without that bolt hole. anyone got a taco bash on they're bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    thank you! I'll check this soon. On the other hand, there's still some room between bottom of the zee cage and the seat tube, but not possible to shift the cage more downward. Maybe there's a bottle cage with more gap for the screws and thereby more space to move it up/down?

edit:
    I've read horrible reviews about the fabric cageless. Either all the ppl can't mount that thing properly or you just had luck until now
    I've just found a roadie Di2 battery bracket adjuster at work - it effectively moves a bottle cage up to 10mm further along. Will give it a try in the morning and get some photos......

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Just picked up my 29 s2 evo, the seat post to steerer length is the exact same (at my saddle height) 457mm as my knolly warden. This is great as I took bloody ages working on the fit of that bike and I've an extra 60mm of wheel base

going to measure the actual bb height an try a figure future fork and shock length. very disappointed about the rear iscg mount cant imagine a taco bash would last without that bolt hole. anyone got a taco bash on they're bike?
    Yeah I've got a Funny Zippa taco bash on mine, it's all good. Taken some decent hits and no problems 👍

kraddick
    Dec 2007

I put in a 170 shaft and like it slacker in low but I don't race, also I think it still climbs fine.

kraddick
    Dec 2007
    This bike is awesome on a race course. First round of the Socal Enduro series was yesterday and over 200 racers showed up. We had a big class (40-49 Masters) with some fast guys. It was an emotional decision for me to move away from SC, but haven't found a single downside yet. There are definite trade offs, but it is really hard to find a bad bike these days.

Attachment 1235471

Attachment 1235472
    Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    By my calculations I'm at 63.5 in high with a 160mm travel 51mm offset lyrik and it climbed fine. Dare I say better than my standard stumpy carbon 29

kraddick
    Dec 2007
    Hi Folks

I'm 6'2" on the S3 29, 33mm stem and I feel fine. I'll be going for the S4 if they make one though.

kraddick
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeandShred View Post
    By my calculations I'm at 63.5 in high with a 160mm travel 51mm offset lyrik and it climbed fine. Dare I say better than my standard stumpy carbon 29
    Stock off set is 44 so that would give you approx. 6mm more WB. How does increased offset effect handling, slower steering? More stability or are there other factors?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by simulu View Post
    Stock off set is 44 so that would give you approx. 6mm more WB. How does increased offset effect handling, slower steering? More stability or are there other factors?

Thanks
    In theory 51mm offset should steer faster.

Whether or not you can notice it is another matter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I am curious about coil but I bought this as an adventure bike so I want to stay with air for weight savings , my issue is my dpx2 has crapped out on me twice already , damper side complete fail , kinda put off on fox at the moment ,any riders with experience putting different air shox on this bike other than the fox offerings ? I am not ruling out coil but I have only been able to ride my stumpy twice in the last month due to shock failure and I am not really trying to make this my baby DEMO , backcountry intentions with this bike , it does long excursions quite well given all the parts are working as intended

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Been reading this thread for a while and it has convinced me to buy the evo. I just have a problem deciding on the s2 and s3. Got to demo the s3 on some proper trails and had a quickish parking lot test on the s2. The s3 felt really good when decending and general riding but the s2 was much easier to bunny hop and just throw around. Should I go with the s3 and maybe buy a shorter stem or get the s2? Im 180cm tall (5f10Ē?) and have a 84cm inseam (33Ē). Really liked both of the bikes but the s3 felt a little big and s2 a little small. This will be my first proper bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Riksaap View Post
    Been reading this thread for a while and it has convinced me to buy the evo. I just have a problem deciding on the s2 and s3. Got to demo the s3 on some proper trails and had a quickish parking lot test on the s2. The s3 felt really good when decending and general riding but the s2 was much easier to bunny hop and just throw around. Should I go with the s3 and maybe buy a shorter stem or get the s2? Im 180cm tall (5f10Ē?) and have a 84cm inseam (33Ē). Really liked both of the bikes but the s3 felt a little big and s2 a little small. This will be my first proper bike.
    I'm 5'9" and ride an S3 27.5" with a 35mm stem, I am long body, short legs so that fits brilliantly for me. I'd have thought the S3 is the right option for you but it's one of those personal preference things too!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Anyone had issues with the DPX2 on this bike?

Picked my bike up week before Christmas. The DPX2 failed on the 3rd ride (loss of damping). Fox rebuilt it under warranty.

Shock failed again half mile into the next ride. Again, loss of damping, sucking sound in the shock, cavitating, etc. Sent back to Fox, who replaced the shock with a brand new factory DPX2.

30 miles on the new factory DPX2 and, yup, failed again.

Supposedly the factory model was brand new with no common parts to the previous shock. Fox recently shared that the first two were IFP failures. If this third failue is for the same reason, I can't see how the bike would cause that (bent frame, side loading, etc). The IFP is an isolated part in the reservoir that sees no structural load from the frame and only oil/nitrogen pressure.

I absolutely love this bike, but it's getting concerning that I can't keep a shock under it. Based off this form there's enough guys out there riding it that if there was an inherent problem with the frame design more people would failing shocks.

While I wait to hear the final verdict from Fox, curious what you guys think/your experiences.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chickendog View Post
    I am curious about coil but I bought this as an adventure bike so I want to stay with air for weight savings , my issue is my dpx2 has crapped out on me twice already , damper side complete fail , kinda put off on fox at the moment ,any riders with experience putting different air shox on this bike other than the fox offerings ? I am not ruling out coil but I have only been able to ride my stumpy twice in the last month due to shock failure and I am not really trying to make this my baby DEMO , backcountry intentions with this bike , it does long excursions quite well given all the parts are working as intended
    Shit, I just posted the same problem and somehow missed your post.

Is your shock currently with Fox? My LBS and I have been discussing options but we're waiting to hear back about my most recent failure, which was a brand new Factory DPX2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi , Questions about nimbleness and BB height on an Stumpy S3.
    I am 6 ft and riding chunky up and chunky down hill terrain. Lots of technical climbing and descending. Coming from a LG 2014 enduro 29 , now currently on a Large 2018 enduro. I love the size of my 2018 enduro and it actually climbs quite well and feels nimble enough through tight stuff. ........but , longing for a bit better climber and pedal efficiency. After reading about the feedback of the S3 29 it bike seems like it pedals well on the flats and up hill. My concern is the longer wheelbase and BB strikes.
    Has anyone gone from a Large enduro 29 to a S3 Stumpy 29 and felt like it was alot worse it tight spots and technical climbing?

I also had a 2013 stumpy 29 with a BB height of 335 and it wasnt too bad.

Thanks for any insight!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JKRed View Post
    Anyone had issues with the DPX2 on this bike?

Picked my bike up week before Christmas. The DPX2 failed on the 3rd ride (loss of damping). Fox rebuilt it under warranty.

Shock failed again half mile into the next ride. Again, loss of damping, sucking sound in the shock, cavitating, etc. Sent back to Fox, who replaced the shock with a brand new factory DPX2.

30 miles on the new factory DPX2 and, yup, failed again.

Supposedly the factory model was brand new with no common parts to the previous shock. Fox recently shared that the first two were IFP failures. If this third failue is for the same reason, I can't see how the bike would cause that (bent frame, side loading, etc). The IFP is an isolated part in the reservoir that sees no structural load from the frame and only oil/nitrogen pressure.

I absolutely love this bike, but it's getting concerning that I can't keep a shock under it. Based off this form there's enough guys out there riding it that if there was an inherent problem with the frame design more people would failing shocks.

While I wait to hear the final verdict from Fox, curious what you guys think/your experiences.
    Not sure if this helps at all, but I am on my 4th rear shock since Oct. on my 2018 enduro 29. Monarch plus. Shock rebuild company says frame is faulty so Specialized is now looking at the frame to see if it is misaligned. They are handling it very well. They say it doesnt happen very much. Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Shit, I just posted the same problem and somehow missed your post.

Is your shock currently with Fox? My LBS and I have been discussing options but we're waiting to hear back about my most recent failure, which was a brand new Factory DPX2.
    yes shock is currently with fox but I expect it back any day now .I have also discussed options ,waiting to see what FOX has to say. I am considering getting a backup shock , maybe a bomber , I don't have much faith in my little dpx2 right now . I have to say this about the dpx , when it was working it done quite well , I was getting used to its behavior and was liking it more and more , nothing real negative to say other than damper failure/reliability , but that is a big negative , I haven't been able to ride it much lately

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1408 View Post
    Not sure if this helps at all, but I am on my 4th rear shock since Oct. on my 2018 enduro 29. Monarch plus. Shock rebuild company says frame is faulty so Specialized is now looking at the frame to see if it is misaligned. They are handling it very well. They say it doesnt happen very much. Cheers
    Any pointers on spotting the misalignment? I removed my shock and the eyelets lined up great when refitting it iso I'd be very surprised if the frame is misaligned.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1408 View Post
    It's something we've been considering, so I may swing by the shop tonight have have them check out the alignment while we wait on the shock.

yes shock is currently with fox but I expect it back any day now .I have also discussed options ,waiting to see what FOX has to say. I am considering getting a backup shock , maybe a bomber , I don't have much faith in my little dpx2 right now . I have to say this about the dpx , when it was working it done quite well , I was getting used to its behavior and was liking it more and more , nothing real negative to say other than damper failure/reliability , but that is a big negative , I haven't been able to ride it much lately
    Mine is as as well. Has been since Monday (I believe at Fox-east coast).

Couldn't agree more, when it was working I was very happy with it. And the upgrade to the factory model was a nice touch. But the lack of confidence in it sucks. Even when I get this one back I'm going to be very uneasy about it. So I'm eager to see what Fox has to say. I have a total of 65 miles out of 3 shock builds right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    5í10Ē and 460mm-ish reach in future sizing would be welcome. Went S2 29 because my previous 17stumpy (L) basically had the same reach number that I was fine with. Im pretty aware of the benefits of the longer reach and if I was planning on racing S3 it would most likely be but my Evo is my do everything trail rig and I wanted to keep things familiar and manageable for those long technical climbs. With a 50mm stem fit is compact but comfortable.

I would be interested in other S2 owners thoughts on this but basically all the reviews Iíve seen have been on the S3 and all the talk of a slow or sluggish feeling bike do not seem to apply to the S2. Somehow its both agile and stable feeling and I can get the front wheel of the ground no problem for those step ups and drops. Very lively bike considering what the geo might imply.
    Again itís all about personal preference and one manís stable is another manís sluggish and so on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Any pointers on spotting the misalignment? I removed my shock and the eyelets lined up great when refitting it iso I'd be very surprised if the frame is misaligned.
    Since the shock specialist pointed out that the frame could be out of alignment , my LBS contacted specialized and they asked the mechanic to check the alignment. My mechanic is very meticulous and he said its a little bit misaligned. He said he used a string somehow to check BB to axle lengths and other parts. I didn't fully understand. Then Specialized wants the frame to be sent to them which I am waiting to hear. The shop has a demo bike for me so I am not without a bike. They also had a loner shock for the other 3 failures. So that's why I don't buy YT.

mtbr member
    5'10" on an 29 S3 and love it

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonkey View Post
    5í10Ē and 460mm-ish reach in future sizing would be welcome. Went S2 29 because my previous 17stumpy (L) basically had the same reach number that I was fine with. Im pretty aware of the benefits of the longer reach and if I was planning on racing S3 it would most likely be but my Evo is my do everything trail rig and I wanted to keep things familiar and manageable for those long technical climbs. With a 50mm stem fit is compact but comfortable.

I would be interested in other S2 owners thoughts on this but basically all the reviews Iíve seen have been on the S3 and all the talk of a slow or sluggish feeling bike do not seem to apply to the S2. Somehow its both agile and stable feeling and I can get the front wheel of the ground no problem for those step ups and drops. Very lively bike considering what the geo might imply.
    Again itís all about personal preference and one manís stable is another manís sluggish and so on.
    5' 6.5" on an S2 29er very happy with the fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    5' 6.5" on an S2 29er very happy with the fit.
    Iím the exact same size. S2 with 40 felt super dialed. Is a long bike for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Random tidbit. Spoke with my dealer. Evo carbon will be available as frame only. Coming March/April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Iím 5-10 and went with the S2 29 also. This is my everyday trail bike as well as my Park bike. I wanted a bike that was nimble enough in the slower speed techy stuff as well as stable in the fast downhills. It has been the right choice for me. I am fairly long legged and short torso so I donít need the extra reach of the S3. I rode my brotherís YT Jeffsey the other day and it felt a little sketchy and unstable. This is a fun bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Thanks
    I cant tell the difference. Have ridden bikes with both, it feels more familiar anyways. It should make it steer faster in theory. And I imagine the increased wheelbase would only be a good thing at speed

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

I'm riding an s2 with 160 and coul shock and it does still feel like a somewhat nimble bike. It's not quite like the standard stumpy, but it is damn close. I haven't gotten her up to full speed yet but at trail speed it feels like a trail bike still. Which blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

5í 10Ē on S2 29

Iím 5í10Ē on a S2 29 and like it. Iím typically on a large for Specialized. With the S2 I do have the seat pushed back about 1 cm from mid, but on descents Iím standing and the bike feels perfect. After learning to weight the front end properly it feels snappy in the turns and nimble enough for all my technical riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Had my first spin out on my s2 29 yesterday, super quiet bike don't really want to put i9's in it now....
    The rhythm fork is super stiff, 165 cranks would have been nicer as would gx cassette for some weight saving on the back end. Going to move the last headset spacer above the stem as the bars still feel a bit high wide, so I'll trim them down too.
    Ass to tyre rub is a bit of an issues but I'll get used to it I feel.
    The back end is very happy to slide with the slightest touch of the breaks so will tweak tyre pressures and body position in the berms. Over all very happy, bike feels great!

mtbr member
    I've got a lightly used, highly upgraded S3 29 on the way and really looking forward to the bike. Have a few questions.

I want to increase the stroke of the rear shock I think. Ideally I'll keep the stock dpx2 and then buy a longer coil or maybe a Float X2(I see these are in 210x55). I've seen 210x55 thrown around most commonly for great fitment and I think that gives 157mm rear travel. Has anyone gone longer with good results on a 29 frame (S3)?
    -If I go coil, have we established spring rates for weights at all? I'm 175lbs or 80kg.

I think I'll try the Rhythm fork but would like to extend to 170mm. Really considering the smashpot coil setup from Vorsrprung. Do the stanchions on this fork have enough length to support 170mm?

The bike I'm buying has a full XX1 drivetrain, SC Reserve wheels, Renthal cockpit, Bikeyoke Revive @160mm. Should be sweet. Considering a set of cheaper aluminum rims to save the nice Reserves but maybe I'll just ride them I'm sure they feel great. Need to also get another set of cushcore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi, Would someone be so kind as to measure their actual BB height in High on a S3 29? I am planning a 160 mm Lyric fork and riding it in the high position. I ride in a rocky area and its the part I think I may have trouble with. I am riding a demo Carbon Comp stumpy LT in low position and it measures about 340mm for the bb. Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I've got a lightly used, highly upgraded S3 29 on the way and really looking forward to the bike. Have a few questions.

I want to increase the stroke of the rear shock I think. Ideally I'll keep the stock dpx2 and then buy a longer coil or maybe a Float X2(I see these are in 210x55). I've seen 210x55 thrown around most commonly for great fitment and I think that gives 157mm rear travel. Has anyone gone longer with good results on a 29 frame (S3)?
    -If I go coil, have we established spring rates for weights at all? I'm 175lbs or 80kg.

I think I'll try the Rhythm fork but would like to extend to 170mm. Really considering the smashpot coil setup from Vorsrprung. Do the stanchions on this fork have enough length to support 170mm?

The bike I'm buying has a full XX1 drivetrain, SC Reserve wheels, Renthal cockpit, Bikeyoke Revive @160mm. Should be sweet. Considering a set of cheaper aluminum rims to save the nice Reserves but maybe I'll just ride them I'm sure they feel great. Need to also get another set of cushcore.
    Shock stroke can go up to 57mm comfortably without any issue.

Fox x2 will not fit this bike unfortunately, whilst it doesnít foul the frame unladen. Once you ride and the frame/shock has some forces placed on it there is contact.

Spring rate for coil is a lot more than what you think. I have to run 650lb to maintain 30% sag, although I am considerably heavier than you. Use the cane creek calculator and go up 50lb from their recommendation.

The rhythm 36 is excellent and after spending a considerable amount of time on the 36 factory fork it is in my mind very comparable. Donít throw it away just yet. Yes it can run at 170mm and the smashpot is compatible with this fork.

This bike is probably the first Iíve had where stack/bar height is cruicial. The difference between an additional 10mm of spacer under the stem is huge when cornering. It rewards you when you weight the front end with almost unlimited traction in any situation so it pays to experiment with stack height.

Enjoy your new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am going to go with the EXT Astoria Lok 210x55 on my 29er. Iím letting them determine the spring rate. Iíll post that when it arrives. Iím going with the Vorsprung Smashpot with 160mm travel. This bike is already slack and stable enough that, for me, I donít need it any slacker. It is so fun with a more balanced suspension travel that I would hate to lose that.

mtbr member
    Shock stroke can go up to 57mm comfortably without any issue.

Fox x2 will not fit this bike unfortunately, whilst it doesnít foul the frame unladen. Once you ride and the frame/shock has some forces placed on it there is contact.

Spring rate for coil is a lot more than what you think. I have to run 650lb to maintain 30% sag, although I am considerably heavier than you. Use the cane creek calculator and go up 50lb from their recommendation.

The rhythm 36 is excellent and after spending a considerable amount of time on the 36 factory fork it is in my mind very comparable. Donít throw it away just yet. Yes it can run at 170mm and the smashpot is compatible with this fork.

This bike is probably the first Iíve had where stack/bar height is cruicial. The difference between an additional 10mm of spacer under the stem is huge when cornering. It rewards you when you weight the front end with almost unlimited traction in any situation so it pays to experiment with stack height.

Enjoy your new bike.
    Thanks for the info. I did see later that the Float X2 won't fit due to clearance issues. Too bad as that is a great shock in it's '19 iteration.

I'm definitely going to give the Rhythm a chance but will extend it to 170mm I think. That will get the BB up a bit and give more capability at little expense.

I happen to have a Super Deluxe RCT Coil at 210 x 55 mm from another bike with 500lb spring that I can play around with so that will be nice to experiment with without any commitment.

To increase stroke of the stock DPX2 we can take out the spacer. Anyone document this? Just would like to know what I'm doing.

Colorado is pretty snowy right now so no riding but it's a good time to get things dialed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endoguru View Post
    I am going to go with the EXT Astoria Lok 210x55 on my 29er. Iím letting them determine the spring rate. Iíll post that when it arrives. Iím going with the Vorsprung Smashpot with 160mm travel. This bike is already slack and stable enough that, for me, I donít need it any slacker. It is so fun with a more balanced suspension travel that I would hate to lose that.

Storia Lok on this would be sweet!

Regarding 160 or 170 mm on the fork I can relate to your not wanting to lose it's balance by going to long. My thinking was to go with the fork at 170 and a 55 or 57 mm stroke on the shock but run it in high position. Too much travel can easily make a bike less sprightly though so I'll have to ride it some and evaluate.

I have a 36 Factory RC2 at 160 with a 44mm offset so I can easily mount that to test before committing to either 170mm or 160mm on the Smashpot.

mtbr member

The Reserve wheels have a lifetime warranty for the original owner so if they have not been registered yet you should be fine. They are super tough either way so I would just ride them.

I have a Factory 36 with an ACS3 kit installed and I find the Rythm fork very similar. I also have a '19 36 Factory with the Grip 2 damper and don't notice any difference compared to the Rythm.

The bike is incredibly capable in stock form. Almost all of my rides include super steep and or fast rocky descents and I have posted PR's on almost every segment with the Evo. This is compared to my N3 with a Push coil setup and my HTLT with the previously mentioned ACS3 kit at 160 mm of travel in the front and a custom tuned X2. I am blown away that a 140/150 bike feels so calm and composed at speed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The bike is incredibly capable in stock form. Almost all of my rides include super steep and or fast rocky descents and I have posted PR's on almost every segment with the Evo. This is compared to my N3 with a Push coil setup and my HTLT with the previously mentioned ACS3 kit at 160 mm of travel in the front and a custom tuned X2. I am blown away that a 140/150 bike feels so calm and composed at speed.
    so what changes and tweaks have you done to your stumpy, hi/low shock position, suspension travel changes, crank length etc? ive only had mine out for one spin I found it very capable loosing some wheel weight and shorter cranks would be the main changes to begin with I feel.

mtbr member
    According to the guy I'm buying it from both the wheels and frame are unregistered so I should be good there.

I saw your recent win; that the PB review from Kazimer and just looking at the geometry convinced me it's fast.

Sounds like your trying to tell me to just ride the bike a little and evaluate before changing travel too much. Fair enough.

I think I'll just do a lower leg service on the fork and then put some time on it and evaluate.

Unfortunately the cranks he put on are 175's, I'm hoping I don't get too many pedal strikes but that's one thing I'll be ready to swap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quick question: Since the bike comes with the NX drivetrain, can the cassette be upgraded to GX or does the hub also need changed to accomodate GX?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFbNs View Post
    Quick question: Since the bike comes with the NX drivetrain, can the cassette be upgraded to GX or does the hub also need changed to accomodate GX?
    Swapping to any other 11-12spd sram cassette will require the XD driver body as well.

On another note, can anyone confirm if you can swap the air spring in the Rhythm to 160mm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm 155lbs and running a 500lb Fox sls spring on 57mm stroke. Seems ok so far but riding time has been very limited lately!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Swapping to any other 11-12spd sram cassette will require the XD driver body as well.

On another note, can anyone confirm if you can swap the air spring in the Rhythm to 160mm?
    I have the part at home, its the same specialized part for the regular stumpy, pretty sure I have the part no. on the bag. I'll look later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    Random tidbit. Spoke with my dealer. Evo carbon will be available as frame only. Coming March/April.
    That would be pretty sweet, any other changes anticipated?

To be fair I don't have any problems with my aluminum Evo, but having SWAT would be a huge bonus!

And to add to the coil comments, went from a 550# to 600# spring this weekend. Feels a lot better in the rough. I am about 185lbs ready to ride.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    This was sent to me from Specialized Customer Service:

Thanks for reaching out. I completely agree with you that we need a Frame Only option for the new Stumpjumper EVO; the bike is absolutely amazing (a hot seller for sure). I don't see the product designers spec'ing an aluminum EVO with higher end components but I agree with you that there is definitely a market for that. My co-worker has the Aluminum model SJ EVO and is loving it; he only swapped out a couple parts. We appreciate your feedback for sure I keep track of product requests so that I can report them to the product designers. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a frame only option for 2020.

Have a great day!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    there's a few numbers on the bag, looks like a dt Swiss inside.
    barcode 32100005
    barcode 7630013970866

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    there's a few numbers on the bag, looks like a dt Swiss inside.
    barcode 32100005
    barcode 7630013970866
    Is for the Fox 36 160mm air spring?

mtbr member
    Is for the Fox 36 160mm air spring?
    No, those numbers are for a freehub. The Fox 36 Rhythm 160mm air shaft is: 820-02-547-KIT

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post

To be fair I don't have any problems with my aluminum Evo, but having SWAT would be a huge bonus!

And to add to the coil comments, went from a 550# to 600# spring this weekend. Feels a lot better in the rough. I am about 185lbs ready to ride.
    Totally same. SWAT would be rad. And some weight savings. Don't know if anything has changed. Will report if I hear any updates from my dealer.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So what is the first ,must have change to this bike?
    Shaft to 160mm?coil shock?...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    IMO. 1.Wheel set w/ hub upgrade will make the biggest difference. 2. NX cassette is a boat anchor so swap that and if youíre picky about shifter feel then swap out the whole drivetrain.

kraddick
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post

600# spring, looks like I might have to reorder? I used Fox spring calculator and it gave me 500. I'm 205lbs at 6'2". Leverage ratio is 2.8 if I'm not mistaken.

Is this the norm, are others having to go up 100#'s, curious?

Ok, I rechecked the calculators and I'm getting 600 - 650, I put in rear bias 75%. I hope that's correct.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Go 650 for sure. I wish someone made a 700 spring

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I went also straight away with a new wheelset and gx cassette - and I highly recommend this if you wanna change anything significant from the scratch.
    In addition, I've replaced the whole cockpit and brakes, but that was only due to personal preferences.

Since 150/140 is more than enough for my trails here I'll think about 160/155 w coil when taking the Evo to shuttle/park in summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    IMO. 1.Wheel set w/ hub upgrade will make the biggest difference. 2. NX cassette is a boat anchor so swap that and if youíre picky about shifter feel then swap out the whole drivetrain.
    I'm wodering wif You refer to width of 148 or quality itself (currently have DT240 142 and would need to tweak them to 148)

I went also straight away with a new wheelset and gx cassette - and I highly recommend this if you wanna change anything significant from the scratch.
    In addition, I've replaced the whole cockpit and brakes, but that was only due to personal preferences.
    Since 150/140 is more than enough for my trails here I'll think about 160/155 w coil when taking the Evo to shuttle/park in summer.
    I'm still on 11x X01 - Your point was the weight ?
    Seems like changing the suspension does make change onlu for Coil and bike-park usage?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm still on 11x X01 - Your point was the weight ?
    Mainly yes, since I'm not able to compare my current wheelset (newmen evolution @1760g) with the stock wheelset regarding hub quality, stability and stiffness.

Seems like changing the suspension does make change onlu for Coil and bike-park usage?
    Guess it depends on multiple factors: the trails you ride, preferences, riding style etc.

A lot of ppl nowadays go straight away with coil on their new enduro/allmountain bikes without ever testing air shock. Most of them never look back, but there's also a huge amount of riders who are really happy with the air shock and its advantages (usually more progressive, easier to adapt to riders weight etc).

Since - imho - modern air shocks perform really good I would at least give it a try. My motivation for going coil is having more small bump sens (and the other coil benefits), more travel (sure, you could also go with an 55-57 air shock) and eventually more room if I would decide for the cane creek IL coil.
    Also I guess it's not bad to have an air shock and a coil and having the ability to switch between them.
    Last edited by aenduro; 1 Week Ago at 04:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    No, those numbers are for a freehub. The Fox 36 Rhythm 160mm air shaft is: 820-02-547-KIT
    so when you install this the axle to crown measurement doesn't change, you fork just uses the full length of the visible stanction?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    so when you install this the axle to crown measurement doesn't change, you fork just uses the full length of the visible stanction?
    No, the stanchion comes out of the lowers another 10mm at top out. Basically the shaft on the air spring is 10mm longer so it can extend another 10mm.

kraddick
    Dec 2007
    Go 650 for sure. I wish someone made a 700 spring
    Thanks, I just put in an email to tisprings since they do custom. We'll see?

I may have two springs for sale if anyones interested.
    EXT 550 and 600#.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks, I just put in an email to tisprings since they do custom. We'll see?

I may have two springs for sale if anyones interested.
    EXT 550 and 600#.
    I've had the worst experience with those guys.

Literally a 6 month wait for a 500lb 3 inch stroke spring. Not exactly an uncommon size or anything. They were a total pain.

On another topic, I'm finding this wheelset to be pretty good. I weight a fair bit (105kg or 230ish lb) so they go through a hard time, wheels are running perfectly true and so far so good. All the weight is in the cassette! I took it off to check the splines on the freehub (notched already lol) and it weighs a ton! The actual wheel/hub combo is quite reasonable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    So Iím still a little confused. All the retailers state that this part is specifically for the 27.5 160mm fork to go 170mm. Iíve heard that it works on the Rhythm and also that it does not from others because of a possible different thread pattern.

Itís not a good sign that looking back in this thread that I canít find anyone doing this and I also wouldnít doubt that the OEM Rhythm might be non upgradable.
    Fingers crossed but can anyone with more shop knowledge than myself confirm if that part number is a go?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    So Iím still a little confused. All the retailers state that this part is specifically for the 27.5 160mm fork to go 170mm. Iíve heard that it works on the Rhythm and also that it does not from others because of a possible different thread pattern.

Itís not a good sign that looking back in this thread that I canít find anyone doing this and I also wouldnít doubt that the OEM Rhythm might be non upgradable.
    Fingers crossed but can anyone with more shop knowledge than myself confirm if that part number is a go?
    Can definitely be done as Iíve done it myself

I used part fx82002547 on my 29er to go from 150 to 160mm

mtbr member

Here's the link to the Fox parts page:

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=956

Also, if you contact Fox with your four digit code off the back of your fork - they will be able to tell you what travel you can go to. Always a good idea to verify.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Did you get you shock back?

They sent me another new Factory DPX2, I put 7 miles on it Saturday (and it felt fantastic as expected) and put it away in the garage after. I happen to be in the garage tonight and checked things out of paranoia and sure enough the shock is squelching and has little to no platform.

This is failure number 4. Iím really unsure where to go from here. Shock was fine yesterday when I happened to be in the garage and did a random check, so I donít understand how it could fail.

mtbr member
    so what changes and tweaks have you done to your stumpy, hi/low shock position, suspension travel changes, crank length etc? ive only had mine out for one spin I found it very capable loosing some wheel weight and shorter cranks would be the main changes to begin with I feel.
    I have not made any suspension changes and am running 170 cranks. My upgrades have been more around making the bike lighter for racing. XO1 Eagle, carbon wheels, longer dropper, etc. I am running the low suspension position for the rear. Got back on the bike after being on my LT for a few rides and this bike is just so right.

mtbr member
    According to the guy I'm buying it from both the wheels and frame are unregistered so I should be good there.

I saw your recent win; that the PB review from Kazimer and just looking at the geometry convinced me it's fast.

Sounds like your trying to tell me to just ride the bike a little and evaluate before changing travel too much. Fair enough.

I think I'll just do a lower leg service on the fork and then put some time on it and evaluate.

Unfortunately the cranks he put on are 175's, I'm hoping I don't get too many pedal strikes but that's one thing I'll be ready to swap.
    Definitely ride it and see how you feel, but you will want 170 cranks on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Did you get you shock back?

They sent me another new Factory DPX2, I put 7 miles on it Saturday (and it felt fantastic as expected) and put it away in the garage after. I happen to be in the garage tonight and checked things out of paranoia and sure enough the shock is squelching and has little to no platform.

This is failure number 4. Iím really unsure where to go from here. Shock was fine yesterday when I happened to be in the garage and did a random check, so I donít understand how it could fail.
    No , not back yet ,I took it to the shop on Jan 29 , I hate to hear that it has happened again , sounds like bad luck , but , who knows ,I am hoping for good news from fox , my lbs said he is gonna try and convince them to give me a coil shock in place of my dpx2 , that is the only reason I havent already gotten one myself

mtbr member
    May 2015
    No , not back yet ,I took it to the shop on Jan 29 , I hate to hear that it has happened again , sounds like bad luck , but , who knows ,I am hoping for good news from fox , my lbs said he is gonna try and convince them to give me a coil shock in place of my dpx2 , that is the only reason I havent already gotten one myself
    I'm struggling with putting this on Fox. 3 completely different shocks have failed, the only commonality being they were 210x50mm DPX2's and they were installed on my bike.

I'm waiting for my LBS to open so I can start picking their brain on what to do next. I'm really thinking we need to start looking at my frame.

It's all been really discouraging as I absolutely love the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

taking a storia off a bike with a 2.6:1 leverage ratio to fit on the the evo with its 2.8:1 ratio. shock stroke is going from 57mm to 50 maybe 52.5mm.
    do you think I'll need to up the coil?

57x2.6=148
    52.5x2.8=147

does that work or the fact that I won't be using the last 5mm of spring mean above napkin calculation is sh1te?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast