Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    banned
    Jul 2011

2019 Command Post

I have a 2019 Stumpjumper Expert with the big Command Post dropper. I've been having problems with the post staying up. It seems that many times when I extend the post and then sit on the saddle, the post drops down to its first notch. No, my cable isn't too tight and yes I do have enough air in the post.

My LBS called specialized and found out that this is a known problem. Specialized is testing a fix and should know something in a week or so. If their fix doesn't work, they'll be replacing posts.

Anyone else having this issue?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    The Command Post on the Expert 29er I demoed sounded like a fishing reel cranked through an amplifier. Super annoying. And it would always drop a bit after I raised it to whatever height. That and the notchiness made it the most most bizarre dropper I have used in my life.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, same with mine. As you know itís a known issue with Specialized and told my shop they hope to have a fix within a few weeks, maybe sooner. The Spesh Tech Rep I ran into at a race said he hadnít heard of any poss fix yet but he may not be in the loop. Specialized offered a replacement WU or the Fox Transfer which requires a shim. I chose to wait for a fix... I find it irritating that they likely knew of the problem when they released the bikes.
    Last edited by sage1; 06-18-2018 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sage1 View Post
    Yes, same with mine. As you know itís a known issue with Specialized and told my shop they hope to have a fix within a few weeks, maybe sooner. The Spesh Tech Rep I ran into at a race said he hadnít heard of any poss fix yet but he may not be in the loop. Specialized offered a replacement WU or the Fox Transfer which requires a shim. I chose to wait for a fix... I find it irritating that they likely knew of the problem when they released the bikes.

I am having the same issue. When extending the post upwards, it settles to the second highest notch (3/4" lower?). Yes, the LBS adjusted the cable. If I press the lever to extend it a second time, it usually goes up all the way, but my Thomson on my other trail bike works perfectly, EVERY TIME like it is supposed to. My last Command Post had to go back three times, by way of comparison.
    Last edited by thegock; 08-20-2018 at 05:35 AM.
    Don't post, ride.

banned
    Jul 2011
    I've had 4 other command posts that worked perfectly. It's my favorite post. But the new one is not impressive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I bought a 2019 27.5 Stumpjumper Expert last month. The seat post dropper was working great, until today. Now the post is having the same problem - when I extend the post and sit on the saddle, it drops down to the first notch. I hope there is a fix!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    I have a 2019 Stumpjumper Expert with the big Command Post dropper. I've been having problems with the post staying up. It seems that many times when I extend the post and then sit on the saddle, the post drops down to its first notch. No, my cable isn't too tight and yes I do have enough air in the post.

My LBS called specialized and found out that this is a known problem. Specialized is testing a fix and should know something in a week or so. If their fix doesn't work, they'll be replacing posts.

mtbr member
    The previous Command Post only had three positions. Fully up, fully down and down about forty-percent. I thought that was fine but apparently some weren't happy with it so they redesigned it with extra grooves on either side of the three main positions. I don't know, it just didn't make sense to me. I bet the problem is a result of these extra grooves.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    The previous Command Post only had three positions. Fully up, fully down and down about forty-percent. I thought that was fine but apparently some weren't happy with it so they redesigned it with extra grooves on either side of the three main positions. I don't know, it just didn't make sense to me. I bet the problem is a result of these extra grooves.
    The function of the new command post is just like the old posts. There were not only three positions on the old post. The first notch was about an inch down and then a series of closely spaced notches. As I said, I've owned four of them and I'm very familiar with their operation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    the return speed is so quick, it's laughable.

OW, My Balls the TV show is real and this is the star.

what a massive massive design flaw.

mtbr member
    The function of the new command post is just like the old posts. There were not only three positions on the old post. The first notch was about an inch down and then a series of closely spaced notches.
    No, that's a recent addition. The original and second generation posts only had three notches. I have two of them here, I've had both apart. One was bought new early last year.

Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    The return speed is so quick, it's laughable.
    Reduce the air pressure. The recommended pressure is far too high. It's still not exactly slow but it no longer tries to orbit you!

banned
    Jul 2011
    No, that's a recent addition. The original and second generation posts only had three notches. I have two of them here, I've had both apart. One was bought new early last year.

I'm not sure about the generations. My four previous command posts were on 2016 and 2017 bikes. They all work perfectly.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about the generations. My four previous command posts were on 2016 and 2017 bikes. They all work perfectly.
    My two work fine but I bought one used which had a leak and needed repair before it could be used. Since then it's held air and worked fine.

My first one was bought new early last year and it just had the three positions. I think the extra stops on the shaft were introduced shortly after that. The internal and external posts are different inside too. It might be interesting to see if this new issue is confined to one type or the other.

The concept of the Command Post is actually quite good. It's simple and should be very reliable but there seems to be a couple of weaknesses in the design. The upper stanchion is part of the active air chamber. There are several places the air can leak from and one of them is tricky to fix. Also, the locking collet inside the post can loose teeth. Hopefully they've redesigned that part but overall it's not a bad design and no more unreliable than most other posts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My Command Post problem remains intermittent. Sometimes it stays all the way up, and sometimes it doesn't.

It does seem to be affected by temperature. It malfunctions more frequently in hot temperatures (80 F and higher), and seems to work well when it is cooler (such as in the morning). Anyone else notice this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    My Command Post problem remains intermittent. Sometimes it stays all the way up, and sometimes it doesn't.
    Is it a new model? I'm asking to keep things clear as there is a danger we'll get mixed up here. The older post could do this exact thing if the outer cable tension was not right or the expanding collet was not correctly positioned on the inner cable. Both are simple to fix.

I'd like to see the internals of the new post to see what's different about it, if anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It's the new one, it came with my 2019 Stumpjumper Expert.

Is it a new model? I'm asking to keep things clear as there is a danger we'll get mixed up here. The older post could do this exact thing if the outer cable tension was not right or the expanding collet was not correctly positioned on the inner cable. Both are simple to fix.

I'd like to see the internals of the new post to see what's different about it, if anything.

Dabney Coleman
    Sep 2005
    Having the same issue with my Stumpjumper, subscribing to thread in hopes of finding a solution. Shop I bought bike from said they haven't heard this problem before, but they'll make it right for me, whatever that means.
    My seat post seems to thunk down a stop very intermittently, can't seem to make it happen, thus can't really diagnose a cause yet. Seems to be related to perhaps a sticky cable? I'm guessing this because when it slips down a notch, my cable housing seems to click back into place, making a slight thunk noise. There is definitely some play in my cable and housing, like Specialized recommends.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The problem being discussed in this thread and one or two others relates to the most current version of the IRCC dropper. Your shop should call Specialized and get the current info on the warranty process for these whatever itís going to be.
    I havenít heard back from my shop yet what the fix/resolution will be... itís been 3 weeks so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The 12 position version has been in production since the last gen Stumpy was introduced, so about 3 years. The 2019 Stumpy does have a slightly different post, as it was redesigned to fit the larger seat tube on the new bike. The issues being discussed are specifically related the this newest generation of the post, and I believe only the larger diameter post used on the Stumpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The problem being discussed in this thread and one or two others relates to the most current version of the IRCC dropper.
    I have to think that it has to be cable tension related.

This whole internal routing thing is fekin idiotic. Especially for a dropper. The bends in the cable are invariably tight and on a post the like the Command Post if the cable is not smooth running or does not have the correct amount of play it simply isn't going to work. On the external post you can see the actuator, know that you've got the correct slack and see that the action is right. With the actuator hidden inside the bike you can't see a thing, which makes it very difficult to set the post up and figure out what's going on when it's misbehaving.

Knowing how the Command Post works, it really sounds to me like a cable issue. The symptoms fit perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I also think it has to do with friction between the cable and housing. I've loosened off the cable tension all the way as well as tightened it up 4 to 5 turns using the barrel adjuster and both seem to work intermittently. I've lubed the cable by adding a drop of oil at both ends and letting it run down into the housing and it seems to have worked temporarily but it's just a matter of time before it starts acting up again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have to think that it has to be cable tension related.

This whole internal routing thing is fekin idiotic. Especially for a dropper. The bends in the cable are invariably tight and on a post the like the Command Post if the cable is not smooth running or does not have the correct amount of play it simply isn't going to work. On the external post you can see the actuator, know that you've got the correct slack and see that the action is right. With the actuator hidden inside the bike you can't see a thing, which makes it very difficult to set the post up and figure out what's going on when it's misbehaving.

Knowing how the Command Post works, it really sounds to me like a cable issue. The symptoms fit perfectly.
    As a bike builder at a Specialized dealer, I can honestly say that command posts are pretty easy to set up, and they are not very finicky. They donít require an extremely precise cable tension to function. They arenít subject to malfunction due to the cable routing on any of the Specialized frames Iíve worked with, or a few other makes. The newest alloy Stumpy is a bit more finicky with regard to routing the cable housing in the frame, due to some sharper edges at the BB/ST/DT junction, but no issues with cable actuation/tension due to the routing or angles/bends.

This is more likely an internal issue on the post. The lower level builds use an X-Fusion post, and we arenít seeing these issues with it. Cable routing is the same, and actuation at the bottom of the post is almost identical. If routing/cable tension were an issue, there would most likely be issues with any post that have similar actuation.

banned
    Jul 2011
    I really don't believe it is a cable problem. I have an expert and a comp. The x fusion post on the comp is like butter. Same cable routing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Not a cable problem. My bike shop did what they could to fix it but I think most all the posts are defective. Got a Revive dropper and problem is completely gone. I actually liked the return speed of the Command Post and honestly it doesn't hurt as long as you aim it at your ass and not your cherries. Would have loved to keep it but it's a bit upsetting that Specialized didn't catch this or didn't care to delay stuff until they fixed this problem. Luckily my bike shop took care of me or I would be much more upset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    This is more likely an internal issue on the post.
    In what way does the new post differ from the previous one internally?

On the old post, there is an internal cable that runs through the expanding collet which has to be set fairly accurately. Is it the same system on the new post?

I agree that the posts are not especially difficult to set up and generally work reliably but they are susceptible to cable issues. Drag and kinks in the cable can retard the actuation lever and cause the collet to only partially seat. A lot of people had this sort of issue with the old post when they didn't set the cable tension properly but cable friction can do the same thing.

You might set them up fine in the shop but tight bends in the cable could be causing problems a little further down the line if the outer cable wears or kinks. There are possible reasons why other brands of post are not effected in the same way, stiffer actuator spring or shorter throw, but you can't automatically rule out the cable because the problem hasn't materialized in another brand of posts. That post may simply be less sensitive to cable position.

I'm not saying that's not an internal fault, it could well be, just that I wouldn't be too quick to rule the external cable out.

I still maintain that internal routing is stupid, for certain things at least, as it creates possible problems and makes installation, fault finding and servicing far more difficult.

banned
    Jul 2011
    In what way does the new post differ from the previous one internally?

On the old post, there is an internal cable that runs through the expanding collet which has to be set fairly accurately. Is it the same system on the new post?

I agree that the posts are not especially difficult to set up and generally work reliably but they are susceptible to cable issues. Drag and kinks in the cable can retard the actuation lever and cause the collet to only partially seat. A lot of people had this sort of issue with the old post when they didn't set the cable tension properly but cable friction can do the same thing.

You might set them up fine in the shop but tight bends in the cable could be causing problems a little further down the line if the outer cable wears or kinks. There are possible reasons why other brands of post are not effected in the same way, stiffer actuator spring or shorter throw, but you can't automatically rule out the cable because the problem hasn't materialized in another brand of posts. That post may simply be less sensitive to cable position.

I'm not saying that's not an internal fault, it could well be, just that I wouldn't be too quick to rule the external cable out.

I still maintain that internal routing is stupid, for certain things at least, as it creates possible problems and makes installation, fault finding and servicing far more difficult.
    I think you are still ignoring the fact that the comp, which comes with an X fusion post, has had no problems, but it has the exact same cable routing.

mtbr member
    I think you are still ignoring the fact that the comp, which comes with an X fusion post, has had no problems, but it has the exact same cable routing.
    No I'm not. I'm saying that the two posts are of different design so may differ in sensitivity to cable issues.

The Command Posts may well be faulty. All I'm saying is that you can't rule out cable problems because another design of post does not suffer from them.

mtbr member
    Are the Specialized and X-Fuson posts supplied with cables or are the same cables used for both?

banned
    Jul 2011
    No I'm not. I'm saying that the two posts are of different design so may differ in sensitivity to cable issues.

The Command Posts may well be faulty. All I'm saying is that you can't rule out cable problems because another design of post does not suffer from them.
    I'm telling you, I have both bikes. The cable on the comp works perfectly. The actuating lever is easy to push and smooth. On my expert, the lever is much harder to push and notchy. I even replaced the cable, but the same outcome. It's not a cable issue. It's a post issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    It's a post issue. At one point I had loosened the cable on the command post so much that there was a almost a centimeter of play at the lever to see if it was the tension but it still wouldn't stay up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Exactly. I completely agree.

Just because one brand (X Fusion) works fine and another (command post) doesnít based on the same cable routing doesnít automatically rule out any cable issues. Youíre comparing two completely different products.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomehwang View Post
    IAt one point I had loosened the cable on the command post so much that there was a almost a centimeter of play at the lever to see if it was the tension but it still wouldn't stay up.
    Having slack at the lever does not tell you what the cable is doing at the other end, which is hidden inside the bike. If you remove the post, remove the cable and it still won't stay up then yeah, it has to be the post.

It's also hard to say anything about the fault by comparing the feel of the levers. The two posts use different levers and the standard Specialized one is quite stiff. I replaced mine with a RaceFace one which feels much better, same cable same post.

Again, I'm not saying it is not a fault in the post itself, It could be.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brumos View Post
    Exactly. I completely agree.

Just because one brand (X Fusion) works fine and another (command post) doesnít based on the same cable routing doesnít automatically rule out any cable issues. Youíre comparing two completely different products.
    No.... I'm not comparing two different products. I'm comparing identically routed cables. The cable functions perfectly with the Xfusion. It is smooth and easy to push, meaning it's return spring does not pull very hard on the cable. Yet it works well. The Specialized post is very difficult to push. It has significantly more return spring force than the Xfusion, which would overcome minor cable imperfections if there were any. But it does not work well.

The posts function differently, the cables function exactly the same. Given that the XFusion works so smoothly, it is painfully obvious that it is indeed a post issue... not a cable issue.

Additionally, if you'll reread my original post, my LBS contacted specialized and they acknowledged that there is a known problem with the post. They are working on a fix, but if it doesn't go well, they will be replacing posts... not cables!!!

If only experts are affected, and they have the exact same cable routing as the comp, and Specialized acknowledges that there is a post problem, I don't understand why you guys keep pointing to cable problems.

mtbr member
    I don't understand why you guys keep pointing to cable problems.
    I thought I had explained it well enough and I'm not doing it again. I also said multiple times that it could be the post itself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    it's definitley not the cable, you can check the function with the post without cable!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhill77 View Post
    it's definitley not the cable, you can check the function with the post without cable!
    Ok then. If you have post out of the bike, no cable attached, and it still won't click into place then it's not the cable.

My next question would be about the internal set-up. If it works in the same way as the older post, is it set up right? If the internal cable isn't set correctly you'll get the same fault. It's very easy to check it yourself on the external post but I've not seen the inside of the internal one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Having slack at the lever does not tell you what the cable is doing at the other end, which is hidden inside the bike. If you remove the post, remove the cable and it still won't stay up then yeah, it has to be the post.

It's also hard to say anything about the fault by comparing the feel of the levers. The two posts use different levers and the standard Specialized one is quite stiff. I replaced mine with a RaceFace one which feels much better, same cable same post.

Again, I'm not saying it is not a fault in the post itself, It could be.
    Youíre ignoring the fact that Specialized has confirmed that there is a known issue with the post. If it were a cable related issue, there would be in-field fixes in place. As it isnít effecting all Command Posts, itís likely a manufacturing defect, or a design flaw with the updates for the larger diameter post. Internally routed droppers have been in use for several years now, on a variety of frames, with a variety of routing. If the issues that you point out with internal routing were even somewhat significant, there would be such pushback from the core mountain biking community that the industry would shift. Look at what is happening with press fit bottom brackets. The community spoke, and several major manufacturers shifted back to threaded. Cable issues have not been a noted problem with previous Command Posts, in any of a variety frames, and routing hasnít changed radically from one model to another, or from year to year, for the Specialized bikes specifically.

Iím not saying that there are never issues with cables affecting functionality of dropper posts, or this post specifically, but itís not a common problem at all. Itís certainly not the common link in the instances described in this thread.

mtbr member
    Iím not saying that there are never issues with cables affecting functionality of dropper posts, or this post specifically, but itís not a common problem at all. Itís certainly not the common link in the instances described in this thread.
    Fair enough. It will be interesting to see what hat fault is, if we find out! They may not tell you.

I can't find a diagram of the internals of the internal dropper but it does have an expanding collet which is similar to the external post so I assume it works in a similar way. It's a simple design, only so many things it could be.

Dabney Coleman
    Sep 2005
    Update: I brought my bike in to my dealer yesterday and they're going to email their inside rep and find out what the deal is with these posts. My buddy at the shop said they'll probably just send out a new post and we can replace it to see if that fixes the problem, but we'll see.
    If I find out anything interesting, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

banned
    Jul 2011
    My LBS has talked to Specialized. They said I could send my post in for repair, but it would take about 3 weeks. I told him I didn't want to be without my bike for that long, so he contacted Specialized again and was told they should have posts available for exchange in October.

Big fail, Specialized.

mtbr member
    Big fail, Specialized.
    Just tell them that it's not good enough. Find out about your consumer rights and lay it on them. Tell them tat if they can't sort this out in a reasonable time frame you want a refund.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was told the same... unacceptable. Especially since they had to know of the problem when the 2019ís were released.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just tell them that it's not good enough. Find out about your consumer rights and lay it on them. Tell them tat if they can't sort this out in a reasonable time frame you want a refund.
    I would agree with this. Asking you to wait until October, or to be without your bike for a few weeks during the middle of the summer isnít really reasonable. This is a brand new bike after all.

I know how my shop would most likely handle this. If Specialized didnít have the resources to get a new post to us, or to expedite the repair of the existing post, we would likely pull a post from another new bike on the floor, or a post from stock, from another manufacturer. Then weíd send back the bad post or the complete bike from our store stock new bike.

Maybe you can check with your LBS to see if thereís anything else they can do for you, outside of what Specialized has presented.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just got a new 19' model without any problems. Only 2 weeks in however.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wood78221 View Post
    I just got a new 19' model without any problems. Only 2 weeks in however.
    Is it the XFusion post or Specialized. Different levels of build come with 2 different posts. The issue is limited to the Specialized post on the higher end builds, and only some of those. At this point, not all posts have issues. It seems to be somewhat limited at this point.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I reckon I could fix one of these posts in an hour and then 15 minutes thereafter.

It's only going to be an excessive friction issue. If anyone is remotely mechanically minded pull one apart. They're pretty simple.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    It's only going to be an excessive friction issue.
    Possibly. I agree that that's maybe the most likely cause but it could be something else. The setting of the internal cable, the collet engagement spring being too weak, the grooves in the wall too shallow or the wrong shape to name three off the top of my head. They are simple but if it's a manufacturing flaw it could be a bunch of things.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Which is why I would pull it apart.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Is it the XFusion post or Specialized. Different levels of build come with 2 different posts. The issue is limited to the Specialized post on the higher end builds, and only some of those. At this point, not all posts have issues. It seems to be somewhat limited at this point.

The box says command post WU

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The box says command post WU
    Ah! Thought you were talking about a brand new Stumpjumper. You bought an individual post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have a 19í SJ ST and added the command post

banned
    Jul 2011
    So has anyone opened this post up yet?

Dabney Coleman
    Sep 2005
    Brought my bike back to the shop today, they said there is a fix, but the post must be sent back to Specialized in order to be repaired. I'll update later if the "fix sticks," so to speak.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by floatch View Post
    Brought my bike back to the shop today, they said there is a fix, but the post must be sent back to Specialized in order to be repaired. I'll update later if the "fix sticks," so to speak.
    My LBS knows mine is defective and called Specialized... was told a fix or replacement would soon be avail. That was in June... Didnt hear anything so I called Specialized directly, they told me the same as you, send it in. Told them I didnít drop 5k on a bike to lose use of it for two weeks during the peak of summer... so havenít sent it in, still need to talk to LBS and see if a replacement is possible. Specialized appears unphased about customers losing use of their bikes due to a problem known to them at the time of the bikes release.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I called the LBS where I bought my bike today and they were unaware of the issue. They suggested I call the Specialized Warranty department to ask about the issue.

I called Specialized and spoke with Rider Care. The rep said that their Warranty department doesn't take calls from consumers and that my LBS would have to reach out to them. However, the rep said that it is a known issue for which they have a fix. For whatever its worth, the rep said that she just recently had her own dropper post fixed, and that it is a matter of replacing a metal bushing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I called the LBS where I bought my bike today and they were unaware of the issue. They suggested I call the Specialized Warranty department to ask about the issue.

I called Specialized and spoke with Rider Care. The rep said that their Warranty department doesn't take calls from consumers and that my LBS would have to reach out to them.
    The shop should have called Spec. I am on my fifth week of waiting after the warranty was called in. Will call the LBS today to light a fire. WTF
    Don't post, ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

I have the command post WU on my ST and it just started today...3 weeks in. Taking it to the shop Monday

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I tried to loosen the seatpost-clamp, and now it works far better. Can you try this as well and give feedback??
    Last edited by mhill77; 09-10-2018 at 05:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have the command post WU on my ST and it just started today...3 weeks in. Taking it to the shop Monday
    Mine turned out to be an easy fix. They adjusted a cable near the lever on the handle bar.

mtbr member
    Mine turned out to be an easy fix. They adjusted a cable near the lever on the handle bar.
    That's not a fault, just not set up right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    UPDATE to post #4 above:

My warranty replacement post was installed by my LBS and I picked it up Wednesday. This prompted local monsoons, so I haven't ridden it yet. Raining now outside the office window...
    Don't post, ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thegock View Post
    UPDATE to post #4 above:
    My warranty replacement post was installed by my LBS and I picked it up Wednesday. This prompted local monsoons, so I haven't ridden it yet. Raining now outside the office window...
    You got it done right if Spesh sent you out a new replacement under warranty and didnít require you to send in the problem post to be repaired.
    Iím getting the you have to send it in story from them. Will check in with LBS.
    You have a tip on how to get it handled this way?

banned
    Jul 2011
    UPDATE to post #4 above:

My LBS told me that Specialized told him replacement posts were not available until October. I'll follow up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You got it done right if Spesh sent you out a new replacement under warranty and didnít require you to send in the problem post to be repaired.
    You have a tip on how to get it handled this way?

Basically, I was more persistent than ebola, but still had to wait three months. Plus I have a great LBS.
    Last edited by thegock; 08-16-2018 at 04:59 AM.
    Don't post, ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    @thegock:
    does your replacement post now work????? would be very interesting if Spec did solve the problem?! My LBS ordered also last week a replacement post - delivery date unknown so far.

loosen the seat clamp screw to an amount where it's on the limit to be hold in place improved the top-not-locking-problem a lot, but still have sporadically this issue.

It looks somehow, that if the seat-clamp-bracket is on the same level as the
    internal latching mechanism in the top position, this problem occurs (have L Stumpy with approx 6 cm clamped position post out). At least you can literally feel the resistance if you move the post by hand up and down and modify the clamp force. Maybe a tolerance problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishB View Post
    It looks somehow, that if the seat-clamp-bracket is on the same level as the internal latching mechanism in the top position...
    The only seatpost clamps I bother torquing are carbon ones and droppers. It should be fairly obvious that over-tightening the clamp could muck up a dropper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    The only seatpost clamps I bother torquing are carbon ones and droppers. It should be fairly obvious that over-tightening the clamp could muck up a dropper.
    Of course i am not talking about over-tightening - i am talking about
    less tourque than specialized specifies, so if tightening with specified torque -> problem less torque -> less problem but still there

anyone already received an exchange seatpost from specialized where problem is solved?

Dabney Coleman
    Sep 2005
    My LBS buddies texted me a picture of my repaired seat post waiting on the counter to be installed in the morning. I'll report back what I find after riding it on Sunday.
    From the picture, it looks like the bottom portion has been replaced. What I mean is that the portion of the seat post that actually touches the frame seems to be new. More information tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    My LBS buddies texted me a picture of my repaired seat post waiting on the counter to be installed in the morning. I'll report back what I find after riding it on Sunday.
    From the picture, it looks like the bottom portion has been replaced. What I mean is that the portion of the seat post that actually touches the frame seems to be new. More information tomorrow!
    perfect! looking forward to hear from you!

banned
    Jul 2011
    Send pictures!

Dabney Coleman
    Sep 2005
    Okay guys, time for an update.
    The good news: My seat post was repaired and sent back from Specialized. As soon as I saw it, I could tell that the lower half was replaced. The old seat post had a uniform-width lower half, all of which had the 34.9 diameter. This new replaced lower half has a stepped section with a polished section that is not to be clamped by the seat tube. It's still anodized black, but it's a polished stepped-down section. This leads me to believe that the problem with the post is related to the lower half getting crushed in by some tiny amount that causes the post to malfunction.
    That's got to be the reason it doesn't slip down when compressed outside of being mounted in the bicycle.
    So, the bad news: The old post used to slip down a notch maybe 30% of the time I sat on it after raising it back from full down. That's why I sent it back to Specialized. Now, it clunks down 100% of the time. Every time I lower the post and let it back up again, it clunks down perhaps 1/8 inch when I sit down. There is an audible clunk, and it sinks. Every. Time.
    My friend Mel is convinced that's just "how it is supposed to be." I disagree. I do not believe it is a "feature" when a dropper post makes an audible clunk and slips a notch every time the rider puts weight down. The owner of my LBS will call Specialized on Monday to see what we can do, but he also is looking into what other brand of seat post we can get in a 34.9 size to replace this hot garbage.
    I'm pretty bummed.
    No pictures, because I can't be arsed to host them someplace or to figure out the process, but I'd be happy to email photos to whomever else wants to post them.

banned
    Jul 2011
    I have other command posts and this is not unusual. The post stops at mechanical notches. Sometimes, when you fully extend the post, it goes past the first notch. If the next stop is about an inch down, then it's working correctly. If the next notch is very close, it's not working correctly.

mtbr member
    Every time I lower the post and let it back up again, it clunks down perhaps 1/8 inch when I sit down. There is an audible clunk, and it sinks. Every. Time.
    Mine don't 'drop' quite as much, maybe a millimeter or two, but yes, there is a clunk as it locks into position. Inside the post there is a crown-like collet with fingers which lock into the grooves in the wall. Normally what happens when you extend the post is that not all of the fingers catch, then as soon as you sit down or wiggle the post they'll click into place.

I'll be honest, I've always just seen it as a characteristic of the post and not a problem. Post goes up, you give it a dunt and hear it click into place and that's it. However, if it really annoyed you I'm sure you'd be able to open up the post and adjust it so that the fingers land closer to the groove at full extension. You'd have to be careful though. If all of the fingers don't engage you'll just start breaking them off. The one in this picture is removed to let you see how it works, but they do break off.

2019 Command Post-p4pb6432115.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FishB View Post
    @thegock:
    does your replacement post now work????? would be very interesting if Spec did solve the problem?! My LBS ordered also last week a replacement post - delivery date unknown so far.
    The August monsoon finally ended and I got two solid rides (40 miles) on the warrantied dropper. It worked perfectly every time.

One oddity is that the post, when dropped, tilts the seat back, which I kind of like on descents anyway, but don't like as much when remounting on the flats.

Like @floatch above in post #71, the extended dropper clicks down an eighth of an inch every time, but it is set up at the correct height when that happens. Odd.
    Don't post, ride.

mtbr member
    One oddity is that the post, when dropped, tilts the seat back..
    What?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Tilted back about 15 degrees.
    Don't post, ride.

mtbr member
    Tilted back about 15 degrees.
    Wow, it does as well. Tilts the saddle. How pointless is that!

Reps in da house.
    2019 Command Post-wu-post.jpg.jpg

And that's what the new generation of Wu Post looks like!

mtbr member
    Looks like bits missing?

recovering roadie
    The Command Post IIRC that came on my 2019 Stumpjumper had this problem a little bit in the beginning. I tried to ignore it, and it basically went away. Perhaps the process of breaking it in helps? Anyway, I hope that's help to someone.

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005
    Mine is fixed. LBS had to send it back to Specialized service center in UT after calling and getting authorization. Took about 2 weeks door to door. Works much better now.

Lower post tube has definitely been replaced. Not sure if other internal bits were replaced. Mounted and torqued to spec and is working well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The August monsoon finally ended and I got two solid rides (40 miles) on the warrantied dropper. It worked perfectly every time.

One oddity is that the post, when dropped, tilts the seat back, which I kind of like on descents anyway, but don't like as much when remounting on the flats.

Like @floatch above in post #71, the extended dropper clicks down an eighth of an inch every time, but it is set up at the correct height when that happens. Odd.
    (See also posts #4, #56, #61, #64 above.)

Finally the original seatpost that my LBS sent back to Utah arrived in Jersey and I retrieved it last Monday. The "temporary" replacement with the "W" on it that had the tilt and drop issues above was taken out. That prompted a week of monsoons, so no ride until yesterday's 20 miles.

The rebuilt seatpost worked flawlessly. Thanks, Spec.

Glad that Hilltop is a great LBS and Jim is a great mechanic.

Now I have to squeeze in a ride before another dose of rain from Florence arrives tonight.
    Don't post, ride.

mtbr member
    Now I have to squeeze in a ride before another dose of rain from Florence arrives tonight.
    Happy days. Glad it's sorted out.

Reps in da house.
    Just the outer tube is missing.

Any clunking is a result of creating an air path inside the seal head for air to escape. That is the "solution" to the post not making 100% travel to the 150mm mark. Just to the left of the collet in the photo is a series of o-rings and spacers that are there to slow the post down to prevent top-out clunks. They did too good a job and now the posts don't lock out in top position. One line gouged into the inside of the inside of the head is enough to let the trapped ait out and get the post to lock out in top position.
    Just an FYI from your friendly neighborhood wrench spinner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have yet to see an actual video of this so I figured I would upload one to show everybody

https://youtu.be/Voye50N8rLg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr5drums View Post
    I have yet to see an actual video of this so I figured I would upload one to show everybody
    Nice vid.

Nothing to do with the issue but It looks like you've got a lot of air in the post. It's fairly hammering up there. Also, what you're supposed to do with the post is damp the assent with your ass rather than let it shoot up and hit the end stop hard. Not doing this shortens the life of some of the internal bits.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Also, what you're supposed to do with the post is damp the assent with your ass rather than let it shoot up and hit the end stop hard. Not doing this shortens the life of some of the internal bits.
    That is absolutely ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    That is absolutely ridiculous.
    You think? It's not really any different from driving your car with a bit of sympathy rather than slamming it around. Sure, it's your care and you can do what you like with it but it'll last longer if you treat it with a little respect.

Dabney Coleman
    Sep 2005
    My seat post was warranted and still makes the clunk noise and slips down when I weight it. My LBS has ordered me a Fox Transfer in Kashima and is paying for its replacement. I'll have to use a shim, but I'm happy to be rid of the "clunker."
    There's a post on Reddit /mtb called "DropperGate" about this very issue. A lot of people are pretty angry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You think? It's not really any different from driving your car with a bit of sympathy rather than slamming it around. Sure, it's your care and you can do what you like with it but it'll last longer if you treat it with a little respect.
    It's like asking people not to rev their cars past 2000rpm, it's a fundamental part of operating the vehicle. Just ike allowing the post to rise whilst your body is in whatever position it needs to be to control the bike, not stress about the longevity of the post.

mtbr member
    It's like asking people not to rev their cars past 2000rpm, it's a fundamental part of operating the vehicle.
    Not really. It's more like saying 'don't drive up to twenty MPH then slam it into reverse'. It's fairly self evident that if you race your car or drive it harshly you'll wear out or damage components quicker. I can't believe you're arguing about it. Yes, you can let your Command Post slam up if you want, it'll work fine that way, but you're hitting the fingers on the expanding collet pretty hard if you do so it's understandable that they'll break quicker.

I've been using this post for a while now and I don't find it a chore to control the assent, not in the slightest. You do it without thinking about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Your analogy once again is absurd. I get that you're aassive command post fanboi and you make acceptions to your riding style for the sake of a substandard product. It's laughable to expect people to do the same.

mtbr member
    Your analogy once again is absurd. I get that you're aassive command post fanboi and you make acceptions to your riding style for the sake of a substandard product. It's laughable to expect people to do the same.
    Whatever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    My seat post was warranted and still makes the clunk noise and slips down when I weight it. My LBS has ordered me a Fox Transfer in Kashima and is paying for its replacement. I'll have to use a shim, but I'm happy to be rid of the "clunker."
    There's a post on Reddit /mtb called "DropperGate" about this very issue. A lot of people are pretty angry.

Yeah that's my thread with the video above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was talking to one of the top mechanics at my LBS Monday and he said they can adjust the speed of the return. Too bad I only have one nut left after too many "I forgot" moments.

Now the question is: should I have them slow it down?
    Don't post, ride.

mtbr member
    I was talking to one of the top mechanics at my LBS Monday and he said they can adjust the speed of the return.
    It's just the air pressure, you can do it yourself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    ive upped the pressure on mine from 50 to 80 and it locks out more often but its still not 100%

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So is your seat post still ok?

Here in NorCal, we are in the midst of a bunch of rain so I figured I would take my 2019 Stumpie in to the dealer to get the Command Post warrantied. I rode the bike around a bit this morning and it isn't slipping. I've gotten so used to it that I can't remember if this is still a problem or not. I'm sorta hoping the problem has gone away, but I doubt it. From what I remember, it has tended to work fine when temperatures are low, and then start slipping down as things warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    The Command Post IIRC that came on my 2019 Stumpjumper had this problem a little bit in the beginning. I tried to ignore it, and it basically went away. Perhaps the process of breaking it in helps? Anyway, I hope that's help to someone.

mtbr member
    From what I remember, it has tended to work fine when temperatures are low, and then start slipping down as things warm up.
    The Command Post is a fairly simple mechanical mechanism and I'd be surprised if it was greatly effected by temperature. Provided suitable lubricant it used that is, not something that thickens in the cold.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    ok ive noticed that mine has got a little better over the last 10 rides but its still not right. Im getting it fixed which apparently means sending it off to specialized for a week.

I did notice that spraying lube on the shaft seems to help so possibly internal friction. You can actually feel it at the leaver when it clicks into the top slot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast