mtbr member
    Feb 2005

2009 S-Works Epic 2x10 Rotor Ring Chain Suck

Running 2x10, with Rotor Rings and a KMC chain. I get chain suck with race pace shifts from big ring to little if I am not careful. Any run in to this issue ? Thinking about going back to the stock Sram rings.

dog lover-not in that way
    Good timing; I've been having problems lately with my XX where the chain is dropping off the outside of the big ring when I get in the rough stuff. I am thinking about switching to the rotor rings. What sizes are you running?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    40x27

old fart
    Mar 2010
    how old is the chain? have you measured it for wear?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Brand new, put the Sram rings on and didn't do it. Now I need to decide if the benefit of the Rotors are worth, having to soft pedel all the down shifts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have been running an inner and middle Rotor Q-rings (23-33t) on my 09 S-works Epic for over a year. The gap between these rings is too wide, wide enough to allow the chain to fall into the gap on the downshifts. I put that fact in my review of the Q-rings in the review section. You have to soft-pedal all downshifts (and upshifts for that matter). If you do this you will only rarely have a problem. Also, you cannot use narrow chains, like a Wipperman (the Rotor site says that) or the chain will more likely get caught in that gap. It may be that the KMC is also too narrow. Try a SRAM chain, they work better with these rings. If you can put up with this minor hassle the Q-rings are more than worth it.

mtbr member
    I started with the sram chain then changed to the KMC and just changed back. The KMC didn't work to well for me. The KMC chain seemed to not sit correctly on my 26-39 front rings.

gone for a bike ride
    we've been using 23+33t Q- Rings with an XTR 44t outer ring for over year also

mrs culturesponge had some occasional chain snagging issues when upshifting at low rpm - which was resolved by swapping standard XTR steel DMD FD bolts for Toronto Cycles domed head Ti bolts - made all the difference + shed a few grams at the same time

also KMC x9 or x10 SL chains didn't seem to make any difference

SweatyYeti if you want to try .4mm middle chainring spacers to bring your rings closer - i have a bag of 16 (was 20) that will take a lifetime for me to use - pm me

2HEAVY - might be an obvious one (sorry) but have you tried adjusting the XX limiters, had abit of a time setting my S1 XX DM 40/26 to not overshift the same way - untill tweaked it away on the workstand

.......edit.......

test rode an S-Works stumpjumper earlier today with XX FD + chainrings on S-Works crankset (same as 2010 Epic)

the bikes XX FD was way out of wack and i couldn't upshift to the big ring - but after twiddling with the cable adjuster i managed to manual the chain onto the 39t without rub - but then the chain was thrown behind the 26t after shifting back down and would have sucked/scratched the frame if i was pedalling harder

still want one though (custom frame build)
    Last edited by culturesponge; 06-10-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0