2009 Epic Expert shock blew up today- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Move on

delete
    Last edited by rakerdeal; 06-09-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Tired of thinking abou it

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    200$ to service and replace the broken bits. Maybe you'll get lucky and the shop can convince them to warranty it...but if you never sent it in before that's a long shot.

May as well have it s-tuned. Same price and you'll have any thing you don't like about it's performance corrected.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Can a person do any preventive maitenance on the 09 Epic and later shocks at home...does the can open on these...to check to see if there looking dry...have one...just looking for some preventive maitenance tips...bought mine used...just trying to make it last longer...

mtbr member
    Where did the oil come out of the shock? If it was where the brain hose connects to the shock body then that's often down to the zip ties holding the brain hose in place being too tight. When the shock compresses it puts strain onto the brain hose connector and it can break.

The newer 2009 Epic shocks had strengthened connectors to try and stop this happening.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=363

These are the instructions for doing an air sleeve service on the 2010/ 2011 Epic Fox brain rear shocks. It's the same procedure for the 2009 Specialized brain rear shock.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...eevemaint.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the link...great that we can work on them some...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Mine was warrantied after blowout. Took it to the LBS on a Thursday, they sent it to Spec, got the replacement Monday and was back on the trail Tuesday. Spec said it was a problem with the metal S part that enters the back of the shock. Too soft. New one looks the same. No probs since.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Two weeks

Bike shop called today- took 2 weeks roughly- $162.00. I somewhat find it interesting that a a shock can fail so quickly as I had bought the bike new 9 months ago and surely have less than 30 hours on it. I ride the Stumpjumper except for racing generally.

<100%
    Quote Originally Posted by rakerdeal View Post
    Bike shop called today- took 2 weeks roughly- $162.00. I somewhat find it interesting that a a shock can fail so quickly as I had bought the bike new 9 months ago and surely have less than 30 hours on it. I ride the Stumpjumper except for racing generally.
    Make sure the shop and Spec understands this part very clearly. I would ask them why it's NOT covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Eom
    Last edited by rakerdeal; 06-09-2011 at 01:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakerdeal View Post
    9 months ago and surely have less than 30 hours on it. I ride the Stumpjumper except for racing generally.
    9 months and less that 30hrs ?? Man, did you pedal from the shop and parked it in the garage and that's it ? In 3 months of ownership and 6 hours per week of use on an average I'm now well beyond the 50 hours mark,not happy about the idea . Shock and Brain both work flawlessly ,I really hope Specy intends 50 hours of "active" (downhill/bumps) shock/brain use..
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Eom
    Last edited by rakerdeal; 06-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0