2008 Stumpy Comp - replace rear shock- Mtbr.com

Oct 2009

2008 Stumpy Comp - replace rear shock

Hi, Has anybody swapped out their Fusion 02RLA for an rp23? The Fusion is a 7.0 x 1.6.

Do they even make an rp23 in this size? Any other rec's in place of the rp23? Really just looking for propedal.

Thanks. Danno...

mtbr member
    You can do a Triad and get propedal, open and lockout, which is that comes on the 08 Elites and some other years/models as well.

But, like most others you run the risk of eventually reaching the limits of what that shock can do. It's not a bad shock, but not as good as the RP23. I haven't ridden the RP23, but there are enough comments/suggestions on this board alone to justify doing it.

I just picked up a new high volume 7.5 x 2.0 RP23 off ebay for $190...about half what the normal web-tailers sell it for.

The RP23 will push the rear end up a bit, which is half the reason I want to do it. I ride in really rocky area (AZ desert) and my pedals mate with rocks on a way to regular basis.

Specialized did a good job of getting BB and COG low, but it's just too low for the terrain I ride in.

I have seen guys upping the front 120mm fork to a 140, which would put your head/seat angles back to stock, and keep the BB height up...but I don't have the coin for that yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I always like to get the shocks slightly longer, and then I will correct the length, ---( it is easier to make one shorter than longer )------I can make any shock any length , shorter or longer .--( easy peasy stuff )

But you could get a longer shock and correct it and run it , ----then when you get your 140 mm fork , you make it longer and there you go .-----

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Has anyone been able to source a replacement Brain Fade setup for retrofit to an '08 Elite?

I've tried out the Brain and I really liked it but haven't been able to find any take off units or anything available form the standard e-tailers. I haven't checked with Specialized yet and shudder to think what the list price might be.

Thanks

Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    I always like to get the shocks slightly longer, and then I will correct the length, ---( it is easier to make one shorter than longer )------I can make any shock any length , shorter or longer .--( easy peasy stuff )

But you could get a longer shock and correct it and run it , ----then when you get your 140 mm fork , you make it longer and there you go .-----
    kelstr -> How do you make the shock any length? What do you mean my correct it? Samr thing and shorten it? I ike the idea getting the rp23 now and the new front shoch when I can aford it. Are you c

So, the question is....is shortening and correcting the same thing? Is that by adjusting the air pressure?
    Thanks. -Danno

Members who have read this thread: 0