Loser

2006 Stumpjumper FSR - broken bolt in rocker link

I was changing cables on my wife's 2006 Stumpjumper FSR yesterday and noticed the upper link that connects to the bottom of the shock looked twisted. On further inspection I found that the bolt that goes through the link was broken and the part with the hex head on it was missing!

It broke almost at the end of the bolt where it goes into the link, just enough so I can't get the shock out of the link. From what I can see it appears that the bottom of the shock where the bushing goes is pretty damaged - I won't be able to tell for sure until I can get the bolt out.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue and how they got the bolt out. At this point it looks like I'll be buying a new link and shock, which makes this a very expensive proposition! Any chance of this being a warranty issue? Unfortunately the LBS where we bought the bike is out of business.

John

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Drop the warranty people an e mail, You've nothing to lose and I've been very pleased with their service.

Loser
    LBS says they think it will be handled under warranty. I need to bring the bike to them. I will update this thread as I get more info. I'd post pictures, but I don't think they would show much.

mtbr member
    I have the 2006 s-works.
    I done this 2-3 times.
    I did buy a new link once, I didn't think it could be warranty

Loser
    Specialized is replacing the bolt under warranty. Unfortunately my wife didn't realize it was broken and must have been riding with it broken for a while. The bolt was wedged in there, so its not like it fell apart or anything. Anyway, while she was riding with it broken it enlongated the hole in the shock (Fox rebuild) and in the rocker. So it looks like a $130 fix.

John

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Good to hear another experience with Specialized's warranty gone good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    Specialized is replacing the bolt under warranty. Unfortunately my wife didn't realize it was broken and must have been riding with it broken for a while. The bolt was wedged in there, so its not like it fell apart or anything. Anyway, while she was riding with it broken it enlongated the hole in the shock (Fox rebuild) and in the rocker. So it looks like a $130 fix.

John
    If you have to rebuild the rear shock, send it to Push Industries, they can custom tune the shock to your wife's weight and riding style. And it will improve the ride of the bike as well.

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/index.php

Loser
    Its a Fox Triad, which I understand Push won't touch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    Its a Fox Triad, which I understand Push won't touch.
    What makes the Triad different from the RP2? Other than the sticker they look exactly the same and have the same, Propedal/Lockout/Open setup.

mtbr member
    ^^^^I'd like to know, too. I'm interested in having my Triad tuned for me.

BTW, there were many issues on 2005 and earlier Enduros with the pivot bolt backing out into the small chainring and getting chewed up. I had it happen on mine and so did my friend. Mine got repaired under warranty (new bolt and chainring) at the time and I was told there was a service bulletin out about it. Seems like these pivot bolts need to be kept an eye on no matter what year/model your bike is.
    2010 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp
    2002 Specialized Enduro Comp (RIP)
    2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
    2001 GT iDrive 2.0

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Push will work on a Triad, but you cannot get the custom valving. I did not realize he was talking about a Triad.

Members who have read this thread: 0