Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    792

    2003 Epic Rebuild

    Let me know what you guys think. The project took a little over 1 month. It was a fun build and have to thank my buddy Racerick for building it. The wheels aren't mine but should be coming in next week. I'm going to race for the first time this weekend and can't wait.

    Question for other Epic riders: What PSI/rebound settings are you running for the rear shox? I think right now I have it at 90 with 2 clicks from the fastest rebound. The O ring is telling me I'm getting full travel. I'm hoping/searching for more of an active system. Do I put more air? Slower Rebound?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    47
    Looks good! I'm running 120 psi in my rear shock with the bump force on fully firm, but I like the rear almost like a hardtail. Its a lot of air for a 170 pound rider, but its the way I like the feel of the bike the best. I have my rebound set 5 clicks from slow. I ride a lot of terrain that quickly alters from hard pack, mud, rocks, and more roots than I even wanna see.
    Trestle Bridge Racing

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,512
    Looks good. That was my favorite Epic to date.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    792
    Thanks guys. Future upgrades are 90mm 0 deg Thomson X4 with carbon bar. jbrower4g63 - Thanks for the tip. I'm going to bump it up 5psi to see if I can more active back there. I too wiegh about 170 to 175 with gear.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09
    Thanks guys. Future upgrades are 90mm 0 deg Thomson X4 with carbon bar. jbrower4g63 - Thanks for the tip. I'm going to bump it up 5psi to see if I can more active back there. I too wiegh about 170 to 175 with gear.
    I bumped mine up cause I like the climbing ability of the hard tail. This epic climbs great and the highr PSi just adds to that. Besides even with more air the shock doesnt seem to behave any different on bump compliance. At least not that effects anything in a negative manner.
    Trestle Bridge Racing

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    792
    Yup - This morning I tried 95 psi with 14 clicks rebound from full dampened. Your totally right cause the bike just wanted to climb even faster. Didn't notice too much with small bump compliance. I also tried full rebound but noticed the kick back right away. Maybe my expectations are little high. But that is ok cause I'm just coming off a Klein HT which is a great climber. I love to climb because I'm not the best at it and want to get better every time. I'll mess with it even more.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: djork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,658
    Did you strip the paint and made it polish alum? It looks nice but I also dig the original simple solid black paint job as well.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    792
    djork - Yeah when I first got the bike the paint job was pretty bad especially around the chainstay areas. We used Jasco to strip the paint and Mothers polish to give it a little shine. A buddy of mine did all the work. He's done this to several bikes. You're right the simple black look would have been cool and that would be my color of choice. I called around to some shops and the price with stripping was around $140+. Due to a tight budget, just couldn't swing it and settled on the polished look. I also considered spray painting but wondered how that would hold up after time. Total cost of this rebuild (including selling old parts) came out to about $1g. I'd say that's pretty good considering its got practically all new parts.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09
    Yup - This morning I tried 95 psi with 14 clicks rebound from full dampened. Your totally right cause the bike just wanted to climb even faster. Didn't notice too much with small bump compliance. I also tried full rebound but noticed the kick back right away. Maybe my expectations are little high. But that is ok cause I'm just coming off a Klein HT which is a great climber. I love to climb because I'm not the best at it and want to get better every time. I'll mess with it even more.
    When I was testing and setting I started with the bump compliance on full firm and the rebound set in the middle and it worked well as long as the trail was dry. I'm in south east Pa and we've been having more rainy days than sunny days (which is odd for here) so as soon as the roots and rocks got wet the kickback was bad. How do you think the full suspensions weight compares to your hard tail? My bike is pretty much as light as it can get and it bothers me bit. I picked up my friends Niner Air 9 a few weeks ago and its sooooo much lighter its like cheating! I was just curious to hear your opinion on how you think the weight may affect your riding.
    Trestle Bridge Racing

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    792
    Good question. The epic is a little heavier than my hardtail. The klein was light but not that light due to the older wheelset and components. But that klein was a good climber and very agile. I didn't get that feeling the first day on the epic. I hope that changes. Yeah my buddy who built the bike has a titanium titus racer x with carbon rear triangle and it is "SICKENING" light. So I know what you mean.

  11. #11
    DSG
    DSG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    175
    I read this thread title and initially thought it was referring to a rebuild which took a very long time

    Looking good

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    46
    Thatīs a very goog looking Epic. Congrats

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09
    Good question. The epic is a little heavier than my hardtail. The klein was light but not that light due to the older wheelset and components. But that klein was a good climber and very agile. I didn't get that feeling the first day on the epic. I hope that changes. Yeah my buddy who built the bike has a titanium titus racer x with carbon rear triangle and it is "SICKENING" light. So I know what you mean.
    That will all change when you bomb past him on your first high speed technical downhill. Just point and go!
    Trestle Bridge Racing

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.