'11 Camber Elite 29er Brake swap- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

'11 Camber Elite 29er Brake swap

Have not been a fan of the stock Avids and G3 rotors this bike came with, and looking to switch up to Shimano XT dr-785's. Has anyone done a brake swap on their cambers? Any recommendations? Also, does an out of the box brake set fit a Large camber frame, or am I going to need to trim and re-bleed the line? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I switched to Hygia elites on mine, 26er. You need to get longer brake lines for the rear because of the way it is run under the down tube. Just guessing it was approx. 50". Those new XT look like awesome brakes!

mtbr member
    I am replacing the pads and trying some new rotors on my Elixir 5's before giving up for new brakes on my Camber Expert, but when I do I will either get another set of Formula RX's like I had on my last bike or try the new XT brakes.
    The Formula RX's have great modulation and feedback, plenty of power, and were a good bit lighter than the brakes they replaced. If you look around you can find some RX's for about $200-220 for a full set, without rotors.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah I've been through a few pads on mine, and a few sets of the same rotors. I've read multiple reviews of people that just aren't happy with these and in talking with some folks at an lbs they were in love with the new XT's but also said very good thing about formulas. I'd be interested to hear what you think about your formulas if and when you get them.

mtbr member
    When I installed the RX's on my EMD I went from Tektro Mechanicals, the Tektros were running 185 front and rear and the RX's ran 160 fr/rr and had more power and were all around better in all respects to the larger mechanicals. I thought when I put them on that I'd need to rush out and order some larger rotors but 160's were fine.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.