mtbr member
    Jun 2008

08 SJ Elite Rotors Rubbing?

Hello,

I just took home an 08 SJ elite last week. When I took it home and started playing around with the bike, I noticed the rotors were slightly rubbing against the brake. I took it to the LBS and they told me its pretty common for rotors to rub against the brake slightly but if it was really bothering me, they would warranty it.

Is this issue common? Would you guys warranty the rotor?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by AlbyAlby; 06-16-2008 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just took home my SJ Comp and the front rotor was doing the same thing. I was going to bring it in but haven't yet. I would be interested to hear others feedback on this. This is my first disc brake bike so it is new to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

re: Should be easy adjustment.

Give it a couple of rides for the pads to completely seat themselves and then break in. If it is still doing it at that time - take it to the shop. They can ususally shim the brake calipers with small washers to fix the problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the feedback jcc, that's what I was going to do. I don't want to give it back now that I finally have it

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc456
    Give it a couple of rides for the pads to completely seat themselves and then break in. If it is still doing it at that time - take it to the shop. They can ususally shim the brake calipers with small washers to fix the problem.
    Ya, thanks for the feedback. I will also ride it a few more times to break them in. Hopefully, the problem solves itself.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008

This is nothing out of the ordinary...

It is very common for bikes to come out of the box slightly bent. We're talking a few millimeters each way. This often makes the brakes rub a little bit. It's not anything unique to specialized: just about every company will have a rotor every now and then that isn't as straight as it should be.

The shop you got your bike from should have one of these:

http://www.parktool.com/products/det...14&item=DT%2D2

This is all you need to straighten the rotor/stop the rubbing. They should be able to fix this without any warranty from specialized.
    Disclosure: I work in a bike shop

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yep, im pretty sure all hydraulic brakes do this. Im pretty sure mechanicals dont though. Mines still rub after broken in, but it hardly has any effect on going uphill.

Members who have read this thread: 0