03 vs 04 S works Epic frames- Mtbr.com
    WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

03 vs 04 S works Epic frames

I have a few questions and I hope someone here can help me out. I am thinking of getting a second-hand 03 S works Epic. I know the main difference between a 04 and 03 frames are weight (~220g), and the adjustable brain however I am not so fussed about the adjustable brain moreover being a semi-weight weenie I am a little more concerned about the extra 220g (and yes I do like the black ano colour!)

At the moment my race bike is a not so standard 03 Stumpy @ 11.2kg. While I will be moving all of the components over to the Epic frame if I decided to get it I am wondering where the 04 weight savings really are.

Now Specialized claims a 220g saving across the 04 Epic range.... so I guess that it is not the carbon link that saves all the weight (it may saves a little but I doubt it saves a lot). One of the most noticeable difference is the shock... apart from the adjustment the extension part that is closest to the seat tube now has a big slot cut out of it, so it will save a little bit of weight (has anyone weight the difference of the 03 04 shocks).

Apart from that visual difference, is there any difference between the tubes sets? If I get a 04 brain/shock for the 03 frame would it be practically the same as the 04 model?

Any comments welcome!

Cheers
    Wayne

Two wheels are best

They took some weight off...and added some too

The carbon link took some off, along with some tweaks to the tubeset. I'm not sure about the '04 shock weighing less than the '03, though it may. Of course, the Sid on the '04 has an alloy steerer where the '03's was carbon...thus adding a few ozs back. The ano finish even shaves a few ozs over paint.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by WOY
    I have a few questions and I hope someone here can help me out. I am thinking of getting a second-hand 03 S works Epic. I know the main difference between a 04 and 03 frames are weight (~220g), and the adjustable brain however I am not so fussed about the adjustable brain moreover being a semi-weight weenie I am a little more concerned about the extra 220g (and yes I do like the black ano colour!)

At the moment my race bike is a not so standard 03 Stumpy @ 11.2kg. While I will be moving all of the components over to the Epic frame if I decided to get it I am wondering where the 04 weight savings really are.

Now Specialized claims a 220g saving across the 04 Epic range.... so I guess that it is not the carbon link that saves all the weight (it may saves a little but I doubt it saves a lot). One of the most noticeable difference is the shock... apart from the adjustment the extension part that is closest to the seat tube now has a big slot cut out of it, so it will save a little bit of weight (has anyone weight the difference of the 03 04 shocks).

Apart from that visual difference, is there any difference between the tubes sets? If I get a 04 brain/shock for the 03 frame would it be practically the same as the 04 model?

Any comments welcome!

Cheers
    Wayne
    They did some reworking of the tubes/gussets, etc. From what I understand, the 04 shock will fit on an 03, but the carbon link will not due to frame changes. The frame is where the all of the weight was taken from, not the fork or other components.

BTW: As a fellow weight weenie (also tech weenie), my 03 XL Epic M4 now weighs 22.9 lbs and is not stupid light in any way. I use it for trails and plan to race it. If the deal is that much better, go for the 03. But the 04 is a nicer frame. I may get one next year when the 05's come out and the prices on the 04 hopefully drop a smidge. (I do want the adjustable brain shock)

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the input guys!

I will see.....

Mar 2004
    Another difference between the 03 and 04 frame is the strut between the seat and top tube is a half round (no bottom) and smaller on the 04 vs a full tube on the 03.

mtbr member

22.9 Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    They did some reworking of the tubes/gussets, etc. From what I understand, the 04 shock will fit on an 03, but the carbon link will not due to frame changes. The frame is where the all of the weight was taken from, not the fork or other components.

BTW: As a fellow weight weenie (also tech weenie), my 03 XL Epic M4 now weighs 22.9 lbs and is not stupid light in any way. I use it for trails and plan to race it. If the deal is that much better, go for the 03. But the 04 is a nicer frame. I may get one next year when the 05's come out and the prices on the 04 hopefully drop a smidge. (I do want the adjustable brain shock)
    Would you mind posting your specs? I am building up a 03 Epic Disc and would love to see where you saved your weight.

Just passing through....

Here it is...

Quote Originally Posted by nermol
    Would you mind posting your specs? I am building up a 03 Epic Disc and would love to see where you saved your weight.
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=220

Shoot me an email if you have any questions:
    [email protected]

Complete Bastard
    In addition to the things everyone elsed mentioned... specialized dealers can order an 03 black ano frame with the 04 shock off their website. No weight savings but you get the cool color and a pretty good savings cost-wize compared to the 04 sworks frame plus an adjustable brain.

Apr 2004

Is it adjustable?

I was told that the upgrade shock has the lowe (0.75g) threshold but is not adjustable. Am I wrong? I have an 03 with Fox F80 RLT (custom sprayed black and re-decalled), Hope Minis, XTR hollowtech cranks, Mavic 317 with XT hubs, thompson seatpost, sdg belle air saddle, azonic double wall riser and stem, enduro pro 2.2 tyre on rear and 2.0 on front. It is fantastic .... but I would like the lower threshold shock.

Complete Bastard
    From what I understood yes it is adjustable. Your dealer can tell you for sure when they go to order it for you. However, it's not available just as a shock, it's the whole 03 black ano frame.

Apr 2004

In the UK ....

In the UK you can get the shock only for 250 and I have confirmed it is the lower threshold but not adjustable. Dont know about US but I would have thought it should be the same(?)

Apr 2004

By the way

I have just put my epic s-works on e-bay in the UK. See the pictures at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=7297