Yet another Bentonville, AR Trip Planning in early November advice needed thread.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Yet another Bentonville, AR Trip Planning in early November advice needed thread.

So, I've been put in charge of figuring rides out for our upcoming trip to Bentonville. I plan on reading the crap out of this forum, but I'm hoping to not have to go too crazy figuring this out. We have the traveling/lodging logistics figured out (not my first rodeo) and now we need to figure out rides, gear, etc. First some background. We are 7 "experienced" riders flying down from the Boston area. We'll be traveling with our 6x6 do-it-all rigs (Ripmo, Enduro, Nomad, etc.) While we can all handle multiple all day XC rides, but our wheelhouse is tech. The more tech the better. Some of us are solid park riders, while others not so much. And we all love shuttles

We arrive on Thu 11/7 and should have enough time/energy/sobriety for an easier ride. Maybe 2 to 3 hours? Fri/Sat/Sun should be longer rides w/maybe some bail-out options. We leave on Monday w/o time to ride. We are staying at an AirBnB in Bentonville and we'll have a rental truck, so we could travel somewhere if it was worth it. We're basically looking to get solid rides in on all riding days and hit the "can't miss stuff". I can put the rides together using trailforks (assuming the trails are on trailforks) I just need some ideas of what areas we should hit on each day. Maybe throw in mileage estimates and any "DON'T MISS THIS TRAIL" kinda thing. Rain ride options, etc.

Now some basic questions...
    What type of weather should we expect that time of year? Should we expect rain?
    Food recommendations for Bentonville area? Bar recommendations?
    Other cool local things we should check out, while not riding?

All efforts are appreciated and would be reciprocated if you're ever visiting the New England area.
    Cheers!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Now some basic questions...
    What type of weather should we expect that time of year? Should we expect rain?
    Food recommendations for Bentonville area? Bar recommendations?
    Other cool local things we should check out, while not riding?

All efforts are appreciated and would be reciprocated if you're ever visiting the New England area.
    Cheers!

It's been a weird year weather wise. I'd expect it to be dry and in the 50s but who knows. We may get a freeze Friday night which is a tad abnormal.

Food is a tough one. There is so much good food here it just depends on what you are looking for. Bars are limited but we have quite a few amazing breweries.

Crystal Bridges is a can't miss if you like art.

For trails it sounds like Coler, Fitzgerald, Mount Kessler and Slaughter Pen would be your best bets locally. Eureka Springs is a can't miss. The Great Passion Play is my favorite system in Arkansas. You have to pedal to get around it but there is also the Downhill Project at Lake Leatherwood that runs shuttles.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    If you like shuttles, plan on a day at Leatherwood. $20 a head for all-day shuttles. It's a little over an hour's drive from Bentonville. Since you're in the area, it would be a shame to miss Passion Play, which is extremely enderrated. Some of the best building in the area from the same folks who built Glorieta in New Mexico. It has lots of awesome tech there... the problem is you either have to drive over to Eureka twice, try to cram all of it into one day (hard, as you'll want to shuttle all day), or change plans and spend a night in Eureka.

If you're game for a longer ride, I'd say spend a day doing the back40. If you don't want to do the whole thing, then just figure out a smaller loop involving the Ledges, as it's the most technicaly section there. You could easily string together a smaller loop including Blowing Springs (which has some nice tech), then run up to ledges, around and then back down Taylor Homestead and back to Blowing Springs.

Spend a full day at Coler. You can hit all of it in a day. Copperhead Road, Rock Solid, Rock Soft, Here's Johnny, Cease and Desist are all good technical lines. Waterfall line is awesome from recent enduro, but it will likely be closed off, as it was intended as an event only line (even though there is now a #savethewaterfall movement started by a bunch of local groms on social media, hah).

Slaughter Pen popular trails: Boneyard, Master Plan, All American, Ozone, Schroen Train, Apple Turnover, New Downhill (named Blackbird, I believe).

Fitzgerald is about 20 minutes away and also has a lot of tech on it. Best Trail Ever. 1857 and Coyote Cave are great for tech riding with Coyote Cave having a really nice rock roll. Kessler is in Fayetteville and it also has some serious tech, specifically on Crazy Mary and Spellbound. You could do Kessler and Fitzgerald in the same day.

Finally: if it's open (and it should be), a drive out to the Buffalo Outdoor Center will likely be worthwhile, even though I hate to recommend to people to drive a bunch when they come here... because one of the attractions of our area is being able to ride straight out your door and hit trail. That being said: the BOC trails are going to be epic and raw and nasty with some "oh shit" features and terrain in them. 10 miles of downhill trail (I believe) with the most vertical feet of descent in Arkansas (for now).

That's my recommendation for now. I'll probably chime in on food and such later, but that should get you started.

mtbr member
    thanks guys! Gives me plenty to munch on.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813