Which would you ride? Tsali or Dupont?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Which would you ride? Tsali or Dupont?

If you could only ride one of the 2, Tsali or Dupont in one day, which would you chose and why? I am 20 minutes closer to Tsali where i will be staying. I have never ridden either of them. I have ridden FATS and love the trails like Brown wave and skinny. also hitting Chicopee woods on the way up and Jack rabbit one day.

Thanks for your input! .

mtbr member
    I would go to Dupont because it drains really well and there are no daily restrictions on trails. Tsali limits you to two of the four loops per day as the trails alternate days with horseback riders. Dupont also has more miles. However, if rolling terrain is more your thing, Tsali has a lot less elevation gain than Dupont and might be more enjoyable to you.

Jack Rabbit feels like FATS, Jr. You'll love it. Don't miss Flying Squirrel when you hit Chiccoppee. Best flow out there. Hopefully it's dry enough to ride. We've been getting a lot of afternoon gully washers here lately.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Have ridden Tsali, Jack Rabbit, Fats and Dupont.

All have there own merits.

Personally, I would probably go back to Dupont before the others.

PK

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I haven't ridden Tsali either.

My favorite trails are where you can get all your climbing done and then rip downhill all the way.

Riding down Ridgeline and Burnt Mountain in Dupont with a mojo rental was the funnest time i've ever had on a bike. I believe the were both about 3-5 mile loops and we accessed them from two different parking lots.

My gf and I did both loops in a few hours and if we had all day we probably would have done both loops twice. The "Hub" bike shop is 15 min away in Brevard and the guys in there are real helpful and knowledgable about the trails. They have nice bike rentals and beer on tap.

Dupont is awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I agree with dupont. Check out the slickrock ride over there for a unique experience
    http://www.mtbikewnc.com/bestrides/brslickrock.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the tips.... was leaning toward tsali, but now dupont... may just flip a coin...

Heroes are overrated.
    Oct 2006
    Which trail is more user friendly to a novice rider? Taking a newer rider with me and want them to have a positive experience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Dupont has way more variety and more ways to combine trails to do what you want, however, there are trails there that you probably would not want to take a beginner on. Trail difficulty levels are listed on the dupont map that you would definately need to get from local shops in brevard. Picking a route at dupont if you have not ridden here could put you on a bunch of mediocre trails. I would go to local shops, tell them what you want, buy something, and go have fun. But tsali overall is novice friendly, at least as far as lack of tech stuff. You really only have a couple of route choices, and all are fun.but there are not any real short routes, except mouse branch, if my memory is correct.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Dupont without question for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've ridden Dupont twice and Tsali 4 trips. I'd definitely vote for Tsali. The alternating days isn't a big deal as the trails you'll get will be good. Unless you're a beginnner, then you might want to go to Dupont. Tsali is a lot more enjoyable if you're at least approaching intermediate skills.

Dupont felt more like being at a ski area out west, constantly checking the map to try to figure out where you are. You're really stringing together lots of smaller trails out there. Tsali, you get on your trail and ride it for 8-12 miles.

Tsali has more views and more flow.

The slickrock climb at Dupont is a leg/lung buster, but be good with a map if you want to be able to figure out where you are. There is more casual double track at Dupont and it has a very beautiful waterfall, so it might be a good place if some people want to hike while others ride.

Tsali also has the NOC nearby for entertainment and you can jump in the lake after your ride to cool off.

yeah, uh............bikes
    No way does Tsali have more views then Dupont. Skill level and comfort is a good thing to consider as Dupont will require map skills and planning, but you'll be rewarded with great riding, remoteness, and fantastic trails.

almost forgot, Tsali had a really fun rope swing last time i was there!

mtbr member
    Dupont, Dupont, Dupont. Seriously, Dupont.

Its got what plants crave
    Dupont has it all, killer singletrack, awesome views....
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

I vote for Dupont

The Jim Branch trail at Dupont is like riding a downhill BMX track

mtbr member
    if it were me, i would go to brevard and ride pisgah. Dupont is great, dont get me wrong, but my heart belongs to pisgah.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbernard71 View Post
    The Jim Branch trail at Dupont is like riding a downhill BMX track
    Was loving Jim Branch until we rode Ridgeline. Wow, Ridgeline was a blast!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've ridden both recently and I would do Dupont all day long over Tsali. The ridgeline trail at Dupont has to be my favorite trail of anywhere I've ridden. Nice climb and fantastic decent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We ended up hitting Dupont and doing the trails near the Corn mills Shoals area and had a blast.. I ended up also shuttling the other riders over to Guion Farm parking area so they could blast down Ridgeline and I met them at Lake Imaging so they did not have to climb back up... We will be hitting Dupont again many times I am sure.

Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anybody know where to get Long/Lat for the trail heads to Dupont, Tsali, and Pisgah? All the sites only seem to give directions.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Wow - so many votes for Dupont. Has there been trail construction going on there in the last few years? I went 3 times 4-5 years ago and only remember a lot of short interconnecting trails that were hard to follow without getting stuck at a river crossing, or so-so double track.

But I'll definitely plan on getting up there again this year with all the glowing recommendations.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You Have to get a good route recommendation or it is easy to get on some boring stuff or ride in the wrong direction, but there are some awesome trails like ridgeline, reasonover, burnt mtn,air strip, big rock and many others!

Bro Mountainbiker
    How does Tsali compare to Dupont? Dupont was pretty much smooth hardpack with a few technical sections, and a few roots here and there.

Any tech sections in Tsali? Is it rooty at all? Are there any sharp rocks to tear tires open?

Im racing there this weekend and trying to figure out what tires to run....
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    How does Tsali compare to Dupont? Dupont was pretty much smooth hardpack with a few technical sections, and a few roots here and there.

Any tech sections in Tsali? Is it rooty at all? Are there any sharp rocks to tear tires open?

Crap. The Tsali Knobscorcher? I was planning on camping and riding there this weekend with a friend...
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Crap. The Tsali Knobscorcher? I was planning on camping and riding there this weekend with a friend...
    Yeah, thats correct.

US Cup East / SERC #2

Here is the information. You probably can still ride if you time it right.

Im not 100% on the details, but the time trial is saturday afternoon I believe, and the XC event is sunday morning-afternoon.

mtbr member
    Yeah, thats correct.
    Yeah, I just looked it up. We'll probably still camp there Thursday night, ride all day Friday, maybe ride Saturday morning as well. We can bug out early to Dupont or Davidson River if we need to.

Glad I saw your post!
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member

It's been a while, but I don't remember there being much in the way of tech / roots or rocks. Grab the fastest tires you've got. And sidewall protection is always a good idea on the rear, imo.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    It's been a while, but I don't remember there being much in the way of tech / roots or rocks. Grab the fastest tires you've got. And sidewall protection is always a good idea on the rear, imo.
    I'm on the fence between the Ikon EXO 2.2 f/r or the Kenda Karma 1.9 f/r... The karma measures 2.0 and the ikon is around 2.15. The karmas are light but have delicate sidewalls.

mtbr member
    I live close to Tsali and love it but if time limitations dictate that you can only ride one I would go with Dupont. As suggested before hit one of the local shops (Hub or Sycamore) buy a map and get a little local wisdom from a employee. You can put together a spectacular ride at Dupont. If your plans change and you end up with a little extra time hit Tsali. Have fun.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member

At Tsali, Left Loop has some quasi-technical parts, but they are short. There is also a short exposed section.

95% of Tsali is smooth.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by High Side View Post
    At Tsali, Left Loop has some quasi-technical parts, but they are short. There is also a short exposed section.

95% of Tsali is smooth.
    Thanks for the info. Im excited to check it out. Ikons will be my tire of choice if it is dry.

not so super...

Thanks for the info. Im excited to check it out. Ikons will be my tire of choice if it is dry.
    Get the EXO Ikon. Only adds minimal weight and it is a much more durable tire.
    Nothing to see here.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post
    Get the EXO Ikon. Only adds minimal weight and it is a much more durable tire.
    Those are the ones I own. I have torn open tires during races and it aint no fun.

Also got some Beavers on order in case we get rain. Figure they will come in handy in the future.

not so super...

Those are the ones I own. I have torn open tires during races and it aint no fun.

Also got some Beavers on order in case we get rain. Figure they will come in handy in the future.
    The Beavers work well in the loamy Pisgah soil.
    Nothing to see here.