Weekend GA Riding: Int. Horse Park / Tribble Mill Park = 24 miles of bliss- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Weekend GA Riding: Int. Horse Park / Tribble Mill Park = 24 miles of bliss

So I have just gotten back into Mtb'ing after a few years flew by after college. I've spent the past few weekends riding just about as much as I can and loving every minute of it. Just thought I would post some of my thoughts on the trails I rode this weekend.

GA International Horse Park, Conyers, GA:
    On Saturday I headed over to Conyers to meet my sis and another friend for riding in the horse park for the first time. Apparently, this is where mtb'ing was held for the 1996 Olympic games as most of you may already know. The trails here are split up in two main areas. We eneded up riding for about 10.5 miles in the two sections they have at the horse park. The first section we rode ( twice actually) was pretty fun. The trails are all one way and the mtb trails were marked pretty well. Overall the trials were decently challenging in some parts with some climbing and nice decent. There were a couple steeper areas that were pretty fun but I didnt find anything there that was too frightening. My sis and her friend who are new riders had to walk down a couple areas the first run but did a pretty nice job on the second run.
    The second section we rode was mostly over granite. I really didnt enjoy that side of the mtb'ing trails at all. Maybe this type of riding is an accquired taste or you need a decent FS bike to stand all the bumps but we didnt spend much time on that section of the park (hence our 2nd trip around the first part of the trails we rode). Overall, I had a good time at the Horse Park but I wasnt overly impressed - mostly for the lack of variety. It seemed to me that you pretty much rode the same exact trail the entire time and there really wasnt much exploring to do there.

Tribble Mill Park, Grayson, GA:
    Today, I headed over to a local park that I have ridden a few times already called Tribble Mill. The park is just over 5 miles from my house so I can get there pretty quick and I have really grown to enjoy this park over the past 3 rides so I really wanted to plug it on here. The park has 2 lakes so it provides a scenic ride for all biking desires. They have a paved trail that you can ride throughout the park but I havent really ridden that much at all. What I like most about this park is the variety. In any given area you are at, there are multiple trails that branch off through the park giving you a lot of variety of trails to explore. There is plenty of ascent and decent, a nice ride around the lakes, some great challenging single track, a little granite riding, and even an area with some bowls for some jumps, etc. There are also a handful of creeks that feed into the lakes that you can try and navigate through or just provide a good place to stop and enjoy the scenery. I put in about 13.5 miles there today and could have kept going for more if I hadn't run out of water / energy... just a ton of fun to be had there. I've run into a couple riders there that say that have routes they ride there that are over 12+ miles where they never ride the same section twice or at most ride 1 section twice to get to some other areas. Lots of stuff to explore there. If you are ever in the Gwinnet County area or live around the area and havent ridden there - I recommend you check it out.

Let me know if you have any questions about either of these places. Keep on riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The second section we rode was mostly over granite. I really didnt enjoy that side of the mtb'ing trails at all. Maybe this type of riding is an accquired taste or you need a decent FS bike to stand all the bumps but we didnt spend much time on that section of the park (hence our 2nd trip around the first part of the trails we rode). Overall, I had a good time at the Horse Park but I wasnt overly impressed - mostly for the lack of variety. It seemed to me that you pretty much rode the same exact trail the entire time and there really wasnt much exploring to do there.
    I don't get it, you complain about the techical side but then complain that the smooth easier side was all the same ?
    Definitely an aquired taste as it was built for olympians. It really is fairly short but after a few laps you would be suprised at how good a workout it is.
    (Try doing it at least a few more times....or as a 24 hour race.)
    You might want to stick with the ones that are a bit easier with a little less elevation gain for awhile, such as Trimble. Two other good ones to stay away from would be Rich Mountain and the Pinhoti trail section on the north side of Snake Creek Gap.
    Maybe a relatively easier one but with lots of different trails would be Bull Mountain. Enjoy and yes the really tough trails are bliss also. (I've even seen god after a few )

Edit Holy crap, check your dogs for a million ticks with all the rain ticks are epidemic at Olympic park. I ran with my 4 legged kids there today (5/6) and I can't remember how many I removed from them before we got back in car and later at home.
    Last edited by ghawk; 05-06-2009 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    The granite rock was built for olympians - Zeus himself must have had a hand in this I must imagine! ... J/K, I just couldnt resist myself. I just dont enjoy riding on the bumpy rock surface, that is all - just my personal preference at this point. If you are into into - great.

I wasn't necessarily complaining about the trail side - just saying that it is one single
    1-way track you ride the entire time without any side trails to check out for a change of pace or variety/exploration. Basically, once you ride that one loop - you've seen it all (If I missed something - let me know). Would I go back and ride it more? Sure. My lack of variety comment really only applied to this section of the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You'll like Bull the are long options but also a ton of different trails to check and Bull Loop, Jones Creek, No Tell, Black something trail, Turner Creek, etc. Once you learn them you can figure out all kinds of loops. It is also not far from Atl. Be nice to the horse people (including wife.) For longer options you can add fs road climbs like winding stair gap (yikes) and come back down cooper and finish up with more single track back to car.
    ........that is....if it ever stops raining.
    ps did not say which god I saw out there, ...maybe it was Zeus, it was hard to see thru the tunnel of light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    You'll like Bull the are long options but also a ton of different trails to check and Bull Loop, Jones Creek, No Tell, Black something trail, Turner Creek, etc. Once you learn them you can figure out all kinds of loops. It is also not far from Atl. Be nice to the horse people (including wife.) For longer options you can add fs road climbs like winding stair gap (yikes) and come back down cooper and finish up with more single track back to car.
    ........that is....if it ever stops raining.
    ps did not say which god I saw out there, ...maybe it was Zeus, it was hard to see thru the tunnel of light.
    Thanks for the suggestions... Always looking for new places to ride. I got lucky this weekend as it came to the rain... it was raining in Gwinnett on Saturday as I headed over to Conyers and then the rain ceased for my Sunday ride at Tribble but started back later that day.

Members who have read this thread: 0