Virginia Key Trail - current conditions ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Virginia Key Trail - current conditions ??

I'm driving down today or tomorrow and was wondering if there has been any local rain the last few days to firm it up.
    Driest last few months I can recall here in S.FL, some spotty showers in Jupiter today

mtbr member
    Haven't had any significant rain in Miami Lakes in the last week. Can't imagine Virginia Key has had much either..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I rode there yesterday. Very dry and dusty in some sections, but the track is in great shape and is very rideable even in this dry condition.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Put a quick lap in after work and it was dusty, but overall good shape and pretty decent grip.
    Will head back for some laps tomorrow AM before driving back north

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    I was there on Saturday... Great Shape

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Went back and did a couple on Saturday and noticed the dry-weather starting to take it's toll.
    Specifically soil erosion, exposing the roots more and the outside of some corners are dropping
    Also, going up on that concrete slab on NW part of trail, there is less room for error.
    Glad we had some rain today and more coming

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    I did notice some of the narrow sandy climbs especially in the second to last trail towards the top once your up there and the weight kicks the sand just buckles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Vkey got a couple drops yesterday, but I'm passing now headed to key biscayne, its getting soaked! Visibility from the top of the causeway is hazed beyond rusty pelican. If it clears up this afternoon, I'm going for a ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It didn't clear up, but i still rode, trails are FAST! There's a few freshly repaired spots that were a bit sketch, but by the 4th lap they were starting to pack well...

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    I rode Virginia Key again this week on Sunday morning. I found the trails to be in great shape. I noticed several people working on some sections, might be adding a few wrinkles to the current trails. I saw new signs on the trailer and lots of new material.
    Great Ride, relaxed by the beach after I was done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    They are building a really nice black trail. It will be unveiled this Sunday at the 1 year anniversary bash virginiakeybicycleclub dotcom

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    That's great can't wait to test it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It's gonna be sweet. I saw some pictures on the Facebook page, there's gonna be what looks like either a wooden jump, or a skinny hill through a boat... The trail will be unveiled Sunday at the 1year anniversary party for the trails grand opening.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Boat or Jet Ski ? I think they should take some of the BMX section and make it part of the trails...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"

one year aniversary

This is the agenda. Sorta..

From 10am-12noon, member sign up and member ride. Only members are allowed to ride at that time. Come and become a member, proceeds go to the improvements of the parks and various discounts at different bike shops that participate in the club.

12noon lunch by sidewalk salads... while supplies last...lol

Hope to see everyone there

Thanks

Robert

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"

Anniversary Day

I had a great day riding today... Great turnout... The new trail is "AWESOME" and all the trails are in great condition...

I want to personally thank all the trail builders who put in the long hours to get the trails ready for the anniversary and also would like to thank all the sponsors for their donations too.

I also want to thank Emilio for raffling of a "CRANK LIFE" wood art piece and for donating the $$$ to Flaco Clark and his family, a great cause.

Last but not least I would like to thank the trees in the park for not getting mad at me for hitting them with my bike with every opportunity I had...lol

GREAT DAY GUYS!!!!

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    I was out there, early in the morning. We were in the trails @ 9AM... I did see all the tents set up and several riders. The trails were in great shape. I saw the new signs up for all the trails. I did see "War Pigs" but it was still closed at that time. I am sure they were waiting for the club members to test it out first.

Great Time

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Spent half the day out there on Sunday. Trails are great, and the new trail is super technical and challenging. Had a great time and it was a great event. Lots of great people out there.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptkaos View Post
    Spent half the day out there on Sunday. Trails are great, and the new trail is super technical and challenging. Had a great time and it was a great event. Lots of great people out there.
    What trail would you compare it to from the other parks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Its hard to compare because it so short, right around 2 minutes. But possibly the first trail at Oleta, Dragons Gate comes to mind. It feels a little like Oleta lite, minus the roots.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cool to see the progress !
    The stairs almost claimed a few riders......gotta be smooth and stay straight after negotiating the turn around the small tree

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Cool to see the progress !
    The stairs almost claimed a few riders......gotta be smooth and stay straight after negotiating the turn around the small tree
    It almost claimed me! As i raced up the hill my second lap, there was a stopped rider at the top... This led to me stopping while she moved, lost all momentum and was in the wrong gear, had to work to clear the lip and wound up with left pedal at 6 o clock as I pointed down... I was quite beveraged at that point and am not sure how, but I was able to ride down off a dead stopped, balanced hop.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahZ View Post
    It almost claimed me! As i raced up the hill my second lap, there was a stopped rider at the top... This led to me stopping while she moved, lost all momentum and was in the wrong gear, had to work to clear the lip and wound up with left pedal at 6 o clock as I pointed down... I was quite beveraged at that point and am not sure how, but I was able to ride down off a dead stopped, balanced hop.
    That's the one thing that bugs me at VK....people stopping on the trail, instead of pulling over
    Not much you can do about it though with so many different levels of riders

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If people weren't so notorious for paying attention to signs in this town, I'd say put it on the sign at the trail head... I see enough people trying to ride without helmets to assume that doesn't work.Oh well, most places, people get off the trail and out of the way, a small price to pay for a park in a place where a lot of folks who wouldn't generally ride a trail are bound to give it a shot. They will learn.. I came around one of the vegetation dense corners on the trail "bad to the bone" HAULING, as I broke the bend there was a teenager stopped on his magna mountainish bike rig, I locked up both sides and slid all 240 pounds of my big self across his pepperoni face sideways, there was really no way out of it... I apologized and explained why we get off the trail when we stop, I don't think he will stop in the path again.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    That's the one thing that bugs me at VK....people stopping on the trail, instead of pulling over
    Not much you can do about it though with so many different levels of riders
    I don't know about you but I've encountered that at every place I've ridden... No matter where...
    I remember when I started riding, I miscalculated what it took to make it to the top of a climb and had to stop, I've been guilty that myself... I think that's happened to almost everyone... but then again it might just be me...
    I was at the race two weeks ago at Amelia and that happen at at-least five of the different climbs during the race... People running into the backs of other riders and not moving out of the way... Very frustrating but...
    I think it happens everywhere...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    I don't know about you but I've encountered that at every place I've ridden... No matter where...
    I remember when I started riding, I miscalculated what it took to make it to the top of a climb and had to stop, I've been guilty that myself... I think that's happened to almost everyone... but then again it might just be me...
    I was at the race two weeks ago at Amelia and that happen at at-least five of the different climbs during the race... People running into the backs of other riders and not moving out of the way... Very frustrating but...
    Yeah, no doubt and I completely understand it at VK with the volume and level of riders.
    While I like riding with flow and speed, I back off at VK and pick my places to put down the power.

Funny how opposite my "other" local trails are Halpat and JD....today an 8-mile lap at JD
    and nobody at the trailhead....only a couple of tortoises to navigate around....then again, not many like riding the sand when it's this dry

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I agree, everyone stalls at some point, but I think what he's talking about, and definitely what I've encountered several times, is people dead stopped, catching breath, looking at their bike, taking a picture, whatever. It's dangerous,especially in fast areas, or areas of limited visibility. I have rarely encountered this on trails nationwide, and seldom at other local parks, except maybe oleta.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    I agree, everyone stalls at some point, but I think what he's talking about, and definitely what I've encountered several times, is people dead stopped, catching breath, looking at their bike, taking a picture, whatever. It's dangerous,especially in fast areas, or areas of limited visibility. I have rarely encountered this on trails nationwide, and seldom at other local parks, except maybe oleta.
    I agree, It's totally disrespectful to stop on the trail or even on the fire-road and not leave a clear path for others ride on unless it's an emergency...

What bothers me even more is when they go on the trails without a helmet and you ask them to please stop riding or to please get a helmet.. You tell them it's due to insurance regs and if they have an accident, they basically can close down the park, and they ask you if your a park guy and to mind your own business... It's funny because those are the same people who typically think the trails make themselves for their enjoyment and f%%k all the rules...

THIS REALLY TICS ME OFF!!!

Sorry, I lost it there for a second... Yeah, I agree with you...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Haha, I know the feeling. I feel like a tard with a helmet on, always have, but I've always been quite happy to split them, especially considering what would have split without one... Maybe ill make a flyer, one cyclist with a cracked helmet, another with pins holding his head together, and hand them to riders who act like they're the $#[email protected]

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    True Story:

Back when i started riding we first started going to Oleta. I had a buddy who thought he was a bad ass because he was the only guy with a bike while we rented ours at Oleta.
    Mind you he had a Mongoose from walmart. So he forgot his helmet and wanted to be a bad ass and ride the trails without one. I'll give him credit he was doing ok untill he met Robinson's Ridge... Yea he fell on the right side down to the tree's... He hit the back of his head and needed 4 stiches...

Moral of the story dont act like a bad ass wear your gear. I look like batman sometimes but i've never gotten hurt

mtbr member
    Just did the Scott test ride, the Spark 29 Elite is awsome, deffinetly in the top spot for my next bike.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Hello Everybody...

This weekend at Amelia, Giant Bicycles and Mack Cycles & Fitness is having a GIANT demo day. Come and test ride the all the Giant Mountain Bikes.

It's Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 2pm.
    There will be refreshments.
    Drivers Licences and credit card will be required to demo the factory bikes.

Spread the word to ALL your friends and have a great day at Amelia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Virginia Key Trail - current conditions ??-005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So I knew I could get in for free today so I went out to VK for a workout and did 5.5 straight laps and had a great time. The track was in great condition! Its dry, but not too dry. It was a good day, I enjoyed it very much. Saw that the entire key was jammed with parked cars....millions of $$$ for the City of Miami.....Imagine 14 straight days of all that parking revenue.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Hello Everybody...

This weekend at Amelia, Giant Bicycles and Mack Cycles & Fitness is having a GIANT demo day. Come and test ride the all the Giant Mountain Bikes.

It's Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 2pm.
    There will be refreshments.
    Drivers Licences and credit card will be required to demo the factory bikes.

Spread the word to ALL your friends and have a great day at Amelia.
    CHANGE OF TIME !!!

Saturday's time has changed from 1 pm to 5 pm There is another event in the morning that caused the change.

Miami, FL
    April 1 was perfect, dry trail yet minimal dust.

I did get April fooled a bit as I quickly discovered when approaching the toll ............. tennis finals traffic jam lol.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Dude the Sony Tennis Tournament always ****s everyone!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Rode the trails today for about two hours. The trail is kicking Butt. The trails are hard packed so nicely, I haven't seen them like this since I can't remember.
    Really nice for speed and turns.
    Enjoy it before it dries up the sandy feel comes back...
    Had a great time.

mtbr member
    went out sunday to try my new Giant Anthem X3, sweet ride but the tires are worn out and was sliding a bit in the turns. with all this rain we had this week i was hoping for a little bit of mud but the trails were dry.

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robpad View Post
    went out sunday to try my new Giant Anthem X3, sweet ride but the tires are worn out and was sliding a bit in the turns. with all this rain we had this week i was hoping for a little bit of mud but the trails were dry.
    does Virginia Key ever really get all that muddy? I've been mucked at Amelia before...

Miami, FL
    I went out Sunday as well (Saturday closed due to Tarzan's Cup) and it was nice.
    Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

mtbr member
    just got back, trials are in great shape, nice and tacky. wish they where like this all the time.
    29er from now on!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    just got back, trials are in great shape, nice and tacky. wish they where like this all the time.
    We were doing some trail maint. today, sorry if anyone of you need to slow down or deviate your lines. The trails are really nice now...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just got back from vkey and the trails are in bad ass shape! The trail maintenance crew is doing a great job! those redone berms in wild thing came out sweet! I'm sure that rainstorm that came through helped out. Vkey drains so well that a huge rainstorm barely had any impact other than to bring out the skeeters .
    Last edited by JJIV; 04-22-2012 at 04:16 PM.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by JJIV View Post
    Just got back from vkey and the trails are in bad ass shape! The trail maintenance crew is doing a great job! those redone berms in Stairway to heaven came out sweet! I'm sure that rainstorm that came through helped out. Vkey drains so well that a huge rainstorm barely had any impact other than to bring out the skeeters .
    Yeah, they are big, we had a skeeter take two of us on a flight !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    HAHA mosquitoes are definitely out! Im a newb, went out yesterday on a borrowed bike hope to see you guys out there and help with trail info when my bike comes in middle of next week!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pourbaix22 View Post
    HAHA mosquitoes are definitely out! ...
    Ride faster, solves a lot of problems... If you need a break, shoot over to jimbos, grab a brew, and hang out by the smoke... Or invest in deet.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Ride faster, solves a lot of problems... If you need a break, shoot over to jimbos, grab a brew, and hang out by the smoke... Or invest in deet.
    BTW... Jimbos is gone..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    BTW... Jimbos is gone..
    Wha. Wh. H. Bu. Ef. An.. when did this happen? I haven't been in almost 2 months, recovering from a severely Hyperextended elbow... What happened to the city naming it a historical landmark?

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Wha. Wh. H. Bu. Ef. An.. when did this happen? I haven't been in almost 2 months, recovering from a severely Hyperextended elbow... What happened to the city naming it a historical landmark?
    Yeah, it's history...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What a bummer. All we need now is a hurricane to take stiltsville, and Miami is truly not the same town I grew up in. Damn cocaine built this crap too big to maintain what it was... Guess that's why most of the original miamians (my_am_uh_ins) have made their way north, west, and south of what once was.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They just decided to reclaim the land for themselves....lots of rumors swirling around about what they are going to do with it. But some involve parks+mountain bikes+rentals

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Meh, guess I should start bothering directors, maybe I can get a landscape contract off whatever they're gonna do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lol yea! My family is old Miami (speaks English) and I think the only reason I'm still here is the whole last stand ideal haha. Has gotten way to big, no one gives a **** about any one and every one is out for their own well being...but then again it is the best place to live. You can do anything you want anytime of year

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pourbaix22 View Post
    Lol yea! My family is old Miami (speaks English) and I think the only reason I'm still here is the whole last stand ideal haha...
    Haha, I'm with ya. Most of my family never left Georgia in the 20's like great grandpa. Often, when I visit cousins, I think about moving there. Then I think about riding markham in January @ 40* and contrast that to being stuck inside during a blizzard... Not to mention sea trout > river trout any day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yea man, I do a lot of fishing/diving and trust me if places had the sailfish bite and weather we do here I'd be there haha

mtbr member
    do they charge an entrance fee on weekdays?
    29er from now on!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you stop.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    do they charge an entrance fee on weekdays?
    I usually go after 5pm on weekdays and no at that time...

mtbr member
    will be there tomorrow since there's something going on at Amelia.
    29er from now on!!!

Miami, FL
    will be there tomorrow since there's something going on at Amelia.
    I think its closed for a race.

I only took a quick glance at the paper sign at the shack
    Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

Miami, FL
    Went to VK today. Very nice, not too dusty, I suppose due to the humidity.

2-3 spins then went to the top of the Rickenbacker bridge to take pics lol

Last edited by danpass; 05-12-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by danpass View Post
    Went to VK today. Very nice, not too dusty, I suppose due to the humidity.

2-3 spins then went to the top of the Rickenbacker bridge to take pics lol

NICE PICS !!!
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

Miami, FL
    Thanks
    Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Did a double-shot yesterday...
    Morning Ride at VK and an afternoon ride at Amelia.
    Some days are just better than others...

Both trails are ripping fast and in great shape...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Rode today for a couple of hours and did some trail cleaning. I want to thank some guys that went there to fish that helped me move some large tree logs that fell in the trails.
    Also the expert trail is closed until further notice... Extremely large tree fell and needs to be removed or erected again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Virginia Key Trail - current conditions ??-096.jpg  

Virginia Key Trail - current conditions ??-095.jpg  

ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rode VK on Friday after work and trail was in great shape.
    I hadn't ridden it in about 5 weeks, so it takes me a lap to figure out the corners (grip), speed and general conditions.
    What's interesting to me is that this trail, more than my regulars, takes me more time to warm up and get into a fast flow. Normally I get into a flow and breathing properly within 10-15 minutes, but at VK it seems to take me longer.
    I was on my SS 29er (geared 32x17) this last time, so maybe it's the slow exit speeds on some corners then hammering to get back up to speed for short climbs, maybe the tightness .....anyway it's interesting and I definitely felt much better on my 3rd lap.
    My geared bike is back from shop so will bring that back down next trip.

mtbr member
    went for a short but nice ride today this afternoon. trials are in excellent shape, just a few puddles. got my bike nice and dirty Virginia Key Trail - current conditions ??-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340495493.569238.jpgVirginia Key Trail - current conditions ??-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340495517.474005.jpg
    29er from now on!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0