Vero Beach Area....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Vero Beach Area....

hey, question for those near Vero Beach. Going down to visit my Mom down there. In the past i've just done an out and back road ride along A1A. It's ok, but i've wondered about possible little off shoots of gravel along that route. Are there little preserves that have gravel roads (that allow bikes?)

It's probably hard for me to snag a gravel or 'cross bike from the bike shops down there, but if people say there is some good stuff to pop into around there, i will try and find an appropriate bike..

thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    There's the Jungle Trail in Vero Beach, about 7-8 miles of sandy dirt road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ah, very cool. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Look on MTB Project. You probably have to head south for anything worthwhile, but there's some decent stuff just south in Stuart.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7001941

There appears to be a few things in Ft. Pierce, but I'm not familiar with the area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    There are plenty of canal roads in the area. I know Cycle Werks does a casual paced weekly gravel ride in Port St Lucie so it may be worth giving them a call. I usually drive down to Riverbend Park and ride within the park + the C18 canal for anywhere from 20-40+ miles.

I wouldn't recommend riding Halpatiokee or Fort Pierce trails on a cross bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks all...yeah for Port St Lucie area sounds like Savannas Preserve State Park is what's reasonable?

that's cool about that shop (Cycle Werks) doing a gravel ride...I think my issue is just going to be getting my hands on a gravel or cross bike at a shop for rent. I don't think i've ever seen a shop do a gravel rental.

I might just have to rent the hardtail mtb they have at this shop i've been to in Vero, and bring it to wherever (the places mentioned)...I will have a car rental.

But yeah, i'm from Boston and i don't know the area, so if anyone (longshot) knows of a place that somehow rents gravel/cross bikes, lemme know.

For some reason i just don't feel like doing an out and back road ride on A1A. Had a bad road crash in November (broken collarbone, separated shoulder/AC joint with full ligament ruptures, blah blah blah) so i'm freaking gun shy on opening up full throttle on fairly busy roads

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I think most people usually ride mtbs on the shop ride. Like I said, it's pretty casually paced. And I don't blame you for wanting to avoid A1A...especially now with the snowbirds down here, I've been seeing some downright scary shit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I hardly ever rode on the actual road on AIA when I lived in Melbourne Beach, always on the paved path. Too narrow of a shoulder and too many cars going way too fast. It will be a drive but maybe give Bob's Bike Shop in the Melbourne area. I think they may rent hardtail mtbs and there is a marsh/preserve area that you can do loops on for gravel riding if you don't want to go on the mtb trails.