trip to Knoxville with 13-yr old son- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

trip to Knoxville with 13-yr old son

Looking for tips...

I'm taking a 2 night trip to Knoxville with my 13-yr old son weekend of March 9th. We'll mt bike and do some ziplines, I think. We're staying in downtown by the river.

I'm looking for ride suggestions and must-hit restaurants. Also any suggestions if we get pouring rain. Consider that he's a young teenager... and all that goes with it. He's pretty solid on the bike but only good for a 2-hr ride (3-hrs if he eats a bag of candy mid ride).

Let me know what you've got for suggestions!

---Andrew

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have a 11yo that rides and we are local.

Since you are staying downtown I would suggest the South Knoxville Urban Wilderness and Sharps Ridge. South Knox is a lot of clay and can be horrible wet, Sharps handles a lot of water and will be the better option if that weekend is wet.

The Pro GRT is happeneing that weekend at Windrock Bike Park and might be worth a watch since a lot of WC pros will be there.

As for food I suggest South Knox Taco, its close to Urban Wilderness parking lot at Bakers Creek.

I suggest Central Flats and Taps near Sharps Ridge.

mtbr member
    Loyston Point handles rain really well but it's like a hybrid gravel/singltrack trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by profro View Post
    I have a 11yo that rides and we are local.

Since you are staying downtown I would suggest the South Knoxville Urban Wilderness and Sharps Ridge. South Knox is a lot of clay and can be horrible wet, Sharps handles a lot of water and will be the better option if that weekend is wet.

The Pro GRT is happeneing that weekend at Windrock Bike Park and might be worth a watch since a lot of WC pros will be there.

As for food I suggest South Knox Taco, its close to Urban Wilderness parking lot at Bakers Creek.

I suggest Central Flats and Taps near Sharps Ridge.
    Thanks for all that. I appreciate it. I'll put Sharps Ridge down as our must-hit trail. Any non-bike suggestions for after-rides or if it rains? Windrock will likely be a separate trip, with the entire family at some point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Loyston is all singletrack. The soil around Norris Lake is very gravely, but naturally. It's not crushed limestone as in a gravel road. But it does handle water well, but it's a bit of a drive from downtown. 30-45 minutes I would guess.

If it rains and you don't want to ride, I would go watch the GRT at Windrock Bike Park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by profro View Post
    Loyston is all singletrack.
    I just meant that it feels like a mix between gravel and singletrack. So smooth it almost doesn't feel like a mtb trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rides like drunk ostrich View Post
    Looking for tips...

I'm taking a 2 night trip to Knoxville with my 13-yr old son weekend of March 9th. We'll mt bike and do some ziplines, I think. We're staying in downtown by the river.

I'm looking for ride suggestions and must-hit restaurants. Also any suggestions if we get pouring rain. Consider that he's a young teenager... and all that goes with it. He's pretty solid on the bike but only good for a 2-hr ride (3-hrs if he eats a bag of candy mid ride).

Let me know what you've got for suggestions!

---Andrew
    If it's too wet to ride dirt but you still want to get out on a bike, there are greenways leaving from downtown. Less then ideal, but an option to get out.

During the winter and/or rain days, I like to take my 7 and 11 year old girls to the climbing gym (Onsite Rock Gym). It's beginner friendly and there are auto-belays on the small and big walls. There are also a couple of those trampoline parks around, though I admit I cringe sometimes watching people flail about, seems like an orthopedic injury waiting to happen.

Hope you have good weather and a great time in town.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thank you for the help on this, folks. While it was a wet weekend, my son and I had fun in Knoxville. We lucked out on weather Saturday morning for ziplines at CLIMBworks in Gatlinburg and we rode Sharps Ridge on Sunday in perfect weather though the trails were wet but still mostly firm. Sharps was a good challenge for my son who rode it nicely and it stretched his comfort zone while the ziplines stretched mine! We also hit Stack and Barrel on Friday night for burgers. Thanks again. While it would have been fun to watch the pros race at Windrock, it was a mess there and I'd always prefer riding with my son over watching a race.