Trails running reverse.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trails running reverse.

Does your local trail run different direction depending of the day of the week. I would like to know what trails.
    I would like to request this at Alafia state park and was curious where else it is done.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I know Ft. Yargo does it, but it's just 1 big loop. Having multiple trails, would make things confusing probably.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Most of the suburban trails in Atlanta do that. The key is good signage and as d365 said having loops as well.

I like it that way and it's a ton safer.

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    Does your local trail run different direction depending of the day of the week. I would like to know what trails.
    I would like to request this at Alafia state park and was curious where else it is done.

Thanks
    Loyce Harp Park (Carter Rd) in Lakeland runs reverse on Wednesdays. I don't think they ever run reverse at Alafia but maybe some Swamp guys will chime in here...
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Amelia Earhart in Hialeah switches direction every 2 months...

I wreck alot
    I really wish the local loop trail did this. Instead, you can go whichever way you want any day you want. I've had some serious close encounters head on with other bikers and runners because of this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    Most of the suburban trails in Atlanta do that. The key is good signage and as d365 said having loops as well.

I like it that way and it's a ton safer.
    Well, except for Chicopee which is a head scratcher. It can get very busy out there.

As an avid trail runner, I love the directional trails. We can see traffic coming at us and have time to get out of the way.

On a side note, why would trail management groups NOT want to have directional trails? Only thing I can think is a sign funding issue.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    The rangers change the direction of Ft Clinch in Fernandina Beach every few months. Our newest trail here in Charleston is an 8 mile loop that runs CCW Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat and it's CW Tues, Thurs and Sun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    IMO I think most of the trails at Alafia were designed to run one way. It seems like some of the climbs would be darn near impossible switched around. I know where your coming from though, change is good.
    Like previous swamp members could offer more insight. BTW SWAMP does an excellent job with their trail systems.
    2010 Lajolla lightweight aluminum cruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rowe925 View Post
    IMO I think most of the trails at Alafia were designed to run one way. It seems like some of the climbs would be darn near impossible switched around. I know where your coming from though, change is good.
    Like previous swamp members could offer more insight. BTW SWAMP does an excellent job with their trail systems.
    You are correct some trails are definitely one way, but trails like North creek, bridges , and Roller coaster are completely doable.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I ride Markham predominantly and the only time some of the trails reverse there, is during races. The layout and some trails in Markham don't lend themselves very well to reversing.

During the last race, we had 5 miles of trails reversed, reconnecting in different area's and flowing from one into another with great results. Unfortunately this can't be done on a permanent basis. The folks in charge have looked at all the possibilities as reversal comes up from time to time. The way to ride Markham every day is to start at a different trail each time you go in and do the entire system that way.

If a trail(system) is designed AND build with reversal in mind, than this can be a great feature keeping things fresh. I am in favor of reversing a trail periodically to alleviate boredom, and Amelia is a good example of reversing the trail every 2 months or so.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    You are correct some trails are definitely one way, but trails like North creek, bridges , and Roller coaster are completely doable.
    Bridges is one-way now, it didn't used to be... I always liked it better the other way. (and being able to do it as an out and back.)
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    CRP in Alva changes direction each month (usually). It is mostly a single simple loop though. I'm not sure the same system would work so well at Alafia.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuckpilgrim View Post
    CRP in Alva changes direction each month (usually). It is mostly a single simple loop though. I'm not sure the same system would work so well at Alafia.
    Since the beginning of this thread, I've been racking my brain on which(only one) trail I've been on that swaps directions every month...

CRP is it! Thanks, for saving my sanity

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    Well, except for Chicopee which is a head scratcher. It can get very busy out there.

As an avid trail runner, I love the directional trails. We can see traffic coming at us and have time to get out of the way.
    I never understood why Chicopee is like that too. It would be much better if i could bomb through some of the sections without having to worry about on coming traffic especially on weekends.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Almost all the trails at Boyette could go reverse, I actually can't think of any that can't. At Alafia, other than moonscape or gatorback, they all can too. There is a group called "Friends of Alafia" that handles park rules. One of the rangers told me they supersede swamp suggestions or rules.

Members who have read this thread: 0