Trail info for road trip down to GA from NY (I81)- Mtbr.com
    Rollin' a fatty

New question here. Trail info for road trip down to GA from NY (I81)

About a year ago inquired about trails near Stone Mountain GA but life happened, plans changed and the bikes stayed behind due to the nature of the visit. Now planning on meeting my new granddaughter in late September, will be driving down from NY thru I81 and this is where we need your help.

We (son and I) plan on taking the bikes along and would like to stop on a trail near I81 on the way down to GA and while returning back to NY. Our usual route is I81 to I77 to I85 which is a bit over 14.5 hrs of driving but willing to do I81 to I40 to I75 (15.5 hrs) if there's a good place close by in TN. Noticed that there are some state forests along the way and that's what triggered the idea of squeezing a ride while on the way.

Also suggestions for a weekday morning ride or two in the Atlanta region will be appreciated, can navigate with Trailforks or MTB Project if that helps.

mtbr member
    Blankets Creek a little bit North of the ATL is always good. Rope Creek and Allatoona are also in the same area as Blankets Creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Blankets Creek a little bit North of the ATL is always good. Rope Creek and Allatoona are also in the same area as Blankets Creek.
    I think you mean Old Rope Mill, not Rope Creek

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    I think you mean Old Rope Mill, not Rope Creek
    Ooops, yeah you're right. I get Rope confused with Big Creek all the time.

Having a nice day!
    If you swing by Chattanooga, try to hit Raccoon Mountain. One of my favorites in that area. And if you are still going over by Stone Mountain, the Horse Park at Conyers is close and kind of historic as it is where the first Olympic mtb races were held. Chicopee Woods in Gainesville is also on that side of town and worth the drive.

If you are passing through Charlotte, you might want to swing by the US Whitewater center. Trails are OK, but the vibe is really great and you can sit by the manmade river and watch the rafters and kayakers after your ride while enjoying a cold beer/drink.

powered by peanut butter.
    In TN, 5 Points Trail System is close-ish to I75 and Chattanooga: 5 Points — SORBA Chattanooga

Along I40, just before Asheville, Kitsuma is a helluva trail, and very close to the highway. I'd park near the end of the singletrack (just outside of Old Fort), ride up the paved greenway (closed to cars) to get warmed up, the grunt up the singletrack climb and bomb the descent. https://www.trailforks.com/region/kitsuma-peak/

If you come down 85, Chicopee Woods (north of ATL) is a great ride. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7000014/chicopee-woods

Near-ish to Stone Mtn. is the site of the '96 Olympics mtb course. It's not my favorite trail in the area, but it has some long "slickrock" sections that make it pretty unique for the south east: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...nal-horse-park

If it were me and I only had time for one ride, it'd probably be Kitsuma. In the ATL area, my pick would be Chicopee Wood, but that's a long drive from Stone Mountain.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

Formerly of Kent
    Id ride in Harrisonburg, VA. A lesser known version of Pisgah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Id ride in Harrisonburg, VA. A lesser known version of Pisgah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a good option. If you're stuck on going further south, K-town has the urban wilderness stuff, devil's racetrack, barn burner, etc. There are some new trails at Cherokee. Tsali good. If you're bringing a downhill bike, you can try Windrock.

The perfessor
    - also in the Chattanooga area is the Biology trail system on the 7th Day Adventist University campus in Collegedale; it's really fun and not too tough, depending on how hard you want to work!!......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 Hybrid Bike

mtbr member
    If you are coming down I-85 near Lake Hartwell there is Paynes Creek, which is a fun ride (~10 miles of trail).

In the Stone Mountain area there are several trails that are within ~15-30 minutes (in approximate order of distance to Stone Mt):
    1. Yellow River
    2. Tribble Mill
    3. Harbins
    4. Olympic Horse Park MTB trails

Check out https://www.facebook.com/SORBAGATR or http://www.sorbagatr.org for info and trail maps

Slightly further (30-45 minutes):
    1. Ft Yargo
    2. Chicopee

Rollin' a fatty
    Florence threw us a curve, instead of going thru the Carolinas will continue on I81 to TN and then go down to GA

What's ridable on Thursday morning close to I81?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WillWorkForTrail
    Check out Baker Creek or the Knoxville Urban Wilderness. Further north Carvin's Cove in Roanoke. I'm not sure if Tannery Knob in Johnson City is open yet or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How bout Enterprise South? An easy short trail to stretch your legs. Right off i-75, just north of chat. Lots of smile per mile.

CC is the only trail mentioned above that I have ridden. It's fun and close to the interstate.

Rollin' a fatty

Thanks

Road trip came and went, had good times with family and enjoyed riding Tribble Mill and the Olympic race course.

My only complaint is that Tribble needs better markings, we kept getting lost but thanks to Trailforks we found the trails we wanted to ride.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Trail info for road trip down to GA from NY (I81)-20180921_105452_003.jpg

Trail info for road trip down to GA from NY (I81)-20180921_112545_006.jpg

Trail info for road trip down to GA from NY (I81)-20180921_112737_019.jpg

Trail info for road trip down to GA from NY (I81)-20180924_101422_014.jpg

Trail info for road trip down to GA from NY (I81)-20180924_101619_009.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    My only complaint is that Tribble needs better markings, we kept getting lost but thanks to Trailforks we found the trails we wanted to ride.
    Yeah, a lot of people get lost at Tribble. The is one place that's called "Confunction Junction" because of the 9-10 different options within about 50 feet. The county doesn't want signage for some reason and there are a number of lesser used trails. The good news is you can't get too lost. The trail areas are bounded by roads or one of the two lakes.