Top 10 local favorite trails in Arkansas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Top 10 local favorite trails in Arkansas

Here is the list (including 11-20). Which ones have you ridden and which ones are on your bucket list? https://www.arkansasoutside.com/the-...s-of-arkansas/

Top 10 local favorite trails in Arkansas-top-10.jpg
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Great link! I have been planning to head up to Arkansas for some riding this summer and a few of the trails I want to hit are on your list.
    Current Bike: 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower S

Previous bikes: 2019 Trek Fuel EX 7 and 2016 Diamondback Overdrive 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is the bentonville area open to biking now? Not sure if there are stay away Covid stuff going on. I would like to make a trip from Minnesota in late June. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Its always been open, just couldn't stay overnight. its all good now. I try and go once per month but its a day trip coming from Tulsa OK. Little sugar is the new system and it rocks. Tunnel vision is the trail. It WILL be on that list next year IMO.

Pretty nice list. I still have a bunch of those to hit.

FWIW, my brother works in Stillwater and lives across the river in Wi.

mtbr member
    Sorry just getting back online, yes, as far as I know, all trails in Arkansas are now open, biking and otherwise.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    We are planning on going to Bentonville next weekend. Going with the family and am planning on riding Slaughter Pen. Iím thinking this will be plenty with the kids. (13 & 12) Question for those that have been there. There is a chance of rain there it seem all week next week. How are the trails if it rains? Here in Dallas it seems to take days or weeks to dry out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LC17SMP View Post
    We are planning on going to Bentonville next weekend. Going with the family and am planning on riding Slaughter Pen. Iím thinking this will be plenty with the kids. (13 & 12) Question for those that have been there. There is a chance of rain there it seem all week next week. How are the trails if it rains? Here in Dallas it seems to take days or weeks to dry out.
    Iíve only been there once, but it was last yearís Outerbike and it rained before and during. The trails handle rain very well. They tout the fact that riding is available 365 days per year, and it does rain quite a bit up there. Much different situation than we have here with DFW trails as far as being able to ride when wet.

mtbr member
    Yep, most trails should be fine. Slaughter pen will keep you busy all day.

mtbr member
    I went and rode Bentonville trails last weekend for the first time. I had a great time! I got to try Coler bike preserve and slaughterhouse pen. Some locals recommended trying Hobbs state park or Lake leatherwood next. Now I am planning my next trip to the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Checking in here. Are all the trails in Bentonville area all still open? With the increase in Covid stuff going on just wanting to make sure.
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

mtbr member
    Trails are all open. We are in a covid spike right now so take precautions accordingly. Have fun and give us a report after youíre done.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Trails are all open. We are in a covid spike right now so take precautions accordingly. Have fun and give us a report after youíre done.
    Thanks. Yep been taking precautions since this all started months ago. Literally at home or on a trail.
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

mtbr member
    Good to hear that trails are still open. I am thinking about taking another trip up there this weekend or next weekend. Anyone rec commend any good hotels? I stayed in comfort inn last month when I was there. Experience was good, figured I would check to see if there was something people liked better before booking my room.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthehill29 View Post
    Good to hear that trails are still open. I am thinking about taking another trip up there this weekend or next weekend. Anyone rec commend any good hotels? I stayed in comfort inn last month when I was there. Experience was good, figured I would check to see if there was something people liked better before booking my room.
    They may all be booked out, but I'd almost always choose an AirBNB over a hotel. You can find them that are right on the trail and set up for bikes with storage and even cleaning stations.

The best hotel that allows you to ride out is 21C in Bentonville. Not sure if it's open or not.

mtbr member
    Bring a mask. Bigtime social distancing going on at the stores and restaurants. We stopped in at Bike Rack brewing and outside seating only and have to have a mask on to order.

Trails were in great shape Sunday. We just played around in slaughter pen.

mtbr member
    Will definitely bring a mask. Planning on buying all my food before leaving and just not eating out. Less risk and will help me save some money.

Upcoming weather reports for next 10 days in Bentonville looks good. I am tires of this high 90s and into 100s weather we have been having here in North Texas.

Having a nice day!
    Admittedly, I am not the most gravity defying rider. With that said, I found the Northwoods trails near Hot Springs to be more fun to me than a lot of the stuff I rode in Bentonville. Just depends what floats your boat. No doubt what they are doing in Bentonville is impressive, but at 57, I'm not that fond of hard crashes

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Admittedly, I am not the most gravity defying rider. With that said, I found the Northwoods trails near Hot Springs to be more fun to me than a lot of the stuff I rode in Bentonville. Just depends what floats your boat. No doubt what they are doing in Bentonville is impressive, but at 57, I'm not that fond of hard crashes

Northwoods is gorgeous, no doubt. It's cool how different the ecosystem is down there from Northwest Arkansas. Ragnarok is probably one of my favorite flow trails in the state. So much fun. Wishbone is also one of the more unique and cool descents with some nice steep off camber sections. It doesn't have as much to offer as the Bentonville area, but it's definitely a destination that stands on its own merits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    Northwoods is gorgeous, no doubt. It's cool how different the ecosystem is down there from Northwest Arkansas. Ragnarok is probably one of my favorite flow trails in the state. So much fun. Wishbone is also one of the more unique and cool descents with some nice steep off camber sections. It doesn't have as much to offer as the Bentonville area, but it's definitely a destination that stands on its own merits.
    That sounds cool. I was thinking about going back to Bentonville in next week or 2 to hit up more of coler and the back 40. Now I am considering the Northwoods. I saw a video on Ragnarok, it looks sweet! I like the naming conventions they used. Ragnorok and Valkerie are cool names for a trail.

mtbr member
    If in Bentonville don't forget Tunnel vision. right across the road from Back 40. Thinking about doing back 40 AND little sugar next Saturday. 45+ miles when combined and right at 6k feet of climb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    If in Bentonville don't forget Tunnel vision. right across the road from Back 40. Thinking about doing back 40 AND little sugar next Saturday. 45+ miles when combined and right at 6k feet of climb.
    It's a good loop, I'd recommend Tunnel Vision first as it's a little more climby than Back 40. It's warm, make sure you got a plan for water/nutrition. I was able to do it 2 weeks ago with 2 bottles and one pit stop but that was pushing it as it warmed up the last hour or two.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3781656830
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    It's a good loop, I'd recommend Tunnel Vision first as it's a little more climby than Back 40. It's warm, make sure you got a plan for water/nutrition. I was able to do it 2 weeks ago with 2 bottles and one pit stop but that was pushing it as it warmed up the last hour or two.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3781656830

I've done them both seperately of course. Did tunnel vision the first weekend the new stuff was officially open. All the signage wasn't up yet....made it fun...lol. It is a great loop.

I'm from Tulsa so used to the weather. Probably going to either wear the camelbak or park strategically so I can refuel/rehydrate between the two. I have a long race in SD in a month and need to get some long rides in. Tulsa is ok, but you repeat a lot and it gets really boring after 30 or 40 miles.

Oh and I plan to start REALLY early to beat the heat.

Your strava loop looks like my plan.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Tunnel Vision is really good for sure, since it's so new there's not established water stops so you're either ripping the 2-3hr loop non stop or stopping near Highlands Blvd at the Casey Gas station roughly halfway in. Plenty of options to stop between Tunnel Vision and Back 40, I just refueled at gas station and rolled out to Back 40. Starting early (6:30) meant clear trails and cooler temps, but plenty of spiders for the first couple hours before everyone else woke up. Tunnel Vision clockwise is probably my preference, you bang out some bigger successive climbs earlier that way and some of the DH is better that direction. YMMV.

Note the first half mile or so of Back 40 (CCW) is detoured onto the street now as they work on extending the greenway, probably got another couple months of work there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    Tunnel Vision is really good for sure, since it's so new there's not established water stops so you're either ripping the 2-3hr loop non stop or stopping near Highlands Blvd at the Casey Gas station roughly halfway in. Plenty of options to stop between Tunnel Vision and Back 40, I just refueled at gas station and rolled out to Back 40. Starting early (6:30) meant clear trails and cooler temps, but plenty of spiders for the first couple hours before everyone else woke up. Tunnel Vision clockwise is probably my preference, you bang out some bigger successive climbs earlier that way and some of the DH is better that direction. YMMV.

Note the first half mile or so of Back 40 (CCW) is detoured onto the street now as they work on extending the greenway, probably got another couple months of work there.
    Thanks for the update. I did tunnel vision ccw, so wanted to try clockwise this time. We do the Back 40 CCW so we can ride down Ledges versus climbing it...lol.

mtbr member
    I want to ride the Northwoods trails so bad. I am debating if I should go ride it tomorrow. I am debating if it is worth a 4 hour drive there and drive back to only go for the day or if I should wait and go longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    Thanks for the update. I did tunnel vision ccw, so wanted to try clockwise this time. We do the Back 40 CCW so we can ride down Ledges versus climbing it...lol.
    Did you end up doing this ride? I rode Tunnel Vision on Saturday after the storms passed through. The trail is awesome, but the heat and humidity really kicked my butt. I decided to turn around at the 7 mile mark and Iím so glad I did. I was really struggling the last couple of miles and ended up severely dehydrated. I know part of it was a cumulative affect of riding the two days prior, and I had a great trip overall, but I think personally Iíll need to come in the spring, fall, or winter.

Seriously impressed with you guys doing Tunnel Vision plus Back40 in this type of weather.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    Seriously impressed with you guys doing Tunnel Vision plus Back40 in this type of weather.
    Moving from South Florida last year, this AR August weather feels like a brisk spring day. Summer jerseys, plenty of hydration/electrolytes, pace accordingly. Glad you enjoyed your time here!

mtbr member
    We got impatient and bailed. Just did some riding at Fitzgerald before the rains hit down there.

Thinking about doing the double in Sept now.

Might do Tunnel vision this weekend.