Thinking of moving to Knoxville. what's the mtb scene like?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Thinking of moving to Knoxville. what's the mtb scene like?

hello MTBers of Tennessee. I'm thinking of moving to Knoxville. what's the riding like? if you don't mind me asking, what neighborhoods should i not live in, if any? is there a local mtb club/group? also (heresy) what about a road club/group?

thanks.

WillWorkForTrail
    There's a strong community in K-town. Some good riding, especially if you're willing to drive an hour or two to mix things up on occasion. I don't know enough about the town to tell you what neighborhoods to avoid, but I can tell you if you go to the urban wilderness trails there (barn burner, devil's racetrack, cruz valley) that if you take a right out of the parking lot there's a taco joint about a half mile down the road that has something like 30 beers on tap and really, really good food. It's a must hit post ride.

Now, riding - east TN has some elevation you can get into, as does Chattanooga. The area around Nashville is rolling - we have hills, but they aren't really hard climbs or good descents. You'll only be ...3 hours? from Brevard NC, and I don't need to hype the riding there any. In short, you could do a lot worse than K-town.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Appalachian Mountain Bike Club is the Knoxville club: AMBC

Clinch Valley Trail Alliance is the Oak Ridge club: CVTA

Plenty of riding in town, Pisgah, Dupont, N Georgia, are all close enough for weekend trips. Windrock is ~40 minutes from downtown if you want downhill riding. There's plenty of road riding as well.

What area of town will you be working in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerTi View Post
    What area of town will you be working in?
    don't really know, i don't have a job yet. i'll get one, i just wanna know where i should definitely NOT live, i'll figure it out from there.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    don't really know, i don't have a job yet. i'll get one, i just wanna know where i should definitely NOT live, i'll figure it out from there.
    Just stay away from the public housing projects and the neighborhoods in the immediate areas. Overall the town ain't too bad, but we do have gang activity. The west end of town has had the most growth for a long time, (and has the most money) but there are hot areas in other parts of town, including the downtown area. As far as MTBing, being in North Knoxville would put you centrally located to the best biking locations (Urban Wilderness, Haw Ridge, Norris, Loyston, Windrock, Sharps Ridge would all be less than 30 minutes away, and there are other options). There's great road riding going north, but heading north or south means climbing ridge after ridge. Cost of living is probably highest downtown and west.

What kind of work are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Roge View Post

What kind of work are you looking for?
    optimally a barista at a third wave shop, otherwise a cooking or customer service gig

mtbr member
    May 2017
    optimally a barista at a third wave shop, otherwise a cooking or customer service gig
    I really don't know what the java scene is like, but this town has tons of restaurants. And we do have several national call centers here as well as enough companies with headquarters here that would have more customer service opportunities.

It really sucks here. I've lived almost all of my life here. Please don't move here.

be1
    the beat goes on
    learn how to program java instead of selling it and you can write your own ticket. need java programmers everywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If I moved to Knoxville area I would buy a DH bike, ride Windrock everyday, never pedal up a hill again!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    hello MTBers of Tennessee. I'm thinking of moving to Knoxville. what's the riding like? if you don't mind me asking, what neighborhoods should i not live in, if any? is there a local mtb club/group? also (heresy) what about a road club/group?

thanks.
    Knoxville has a thriving scene fostered by the extremely active AMBC Mountain Bike Club. As for bad parts of town; just stay away from East Knoxville but everywhere else is fine. West Knoxville is basic suburbia, North Knoxville is brewery capital, and South Knoxville has all the good riding 4 mins from downtown.