Thinking about moving to Bentonville- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thinking about moving to Bentonville

I'm originally from Las Vegas but for the past year I've been splitting time between Grand Junction and also living in Colombia South America with my wife. I'm looking to make a permanent move and really wan't more peace and quiet but also wan't to base all my free time on riding bikes.

I travel for work 10-15 days per month when busy so I need to fly everywhere. I fly United and I saw the regional airport has plenty of flight choices which is good.

Also I'd likely rent a home for the first year and notice prices are around $1,200 per month for a nice home which fits my needs. After the year maybe I'd decide to stay.

What are the primary Pro's and Con's of the area besides the amazing riding ? I have a 9 year old who speaks primarily spanish who would enroll in school and look to get into sports and activities.

Also weather wise besides the unpredictable heavy rain periods how difficult is it with summer heat and hummidity during the warm months. I've always been in the West USA where it's hot and dry or cool and dry.

Thanks for all the info as I plan on visiting for 1 week in November to make a decision.
    Yeti 2020 SB165
    Yeti 2019 SB150
    Yeti 2019 SB130 AXS
    Yeti 2018 SB100 AXS

mtbr member
    Humidity is really high in this area in the summer. However you do get used to it. I can't speak for Bentonville exactly as I live in Tulsa, about 2 hours west. It is a nice area with lots to do. Really built up over the last 10 years. I was there last week to pick up a bike. Plan to get over there more this fall to ride too.

We do get a lot of rain at times, but the good news is you can pretty much ride all year absent of that. Riding in that area is great as you probably know.

A lot to do locally. Tulsa is a nice "bigger" city that is close but so is Fort Smith and Fayetteville. If you get the chance we have a few places to ride in the Tulsa area and also have the worlds largest and most expensive city park called "The Gathering Place". It was ranked as the #1 new attraction in the world last year....and it is all free. Worth a day trip for sure especially if you have kids.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    A lot to do locally. Tulsa is a nice "bigger" city that is close but so is Fort Smith and Fayetteville. If you get the chance we have a few places to ride in the Tulsa area and also have the worlds largest and most expensive city park called "The Gathering Place". It was ranked as the #1 new attraction in the world last year....and it is all free. Worth a day trip for sure especially if you have kids.
    Great info and thank you for the recommendations. I'm really looking for a change of pace since I've spent so many years in Vegas and big cities working and living. I love my time I spend at my home in Manizales but I want a place to anchor down and build my next stage in life and NE Arkansas seems like a fantastic place. I'll definitely get to Tulsa and have been through their 3-5 times back when I used to tour for work. I have a Promaster Van so I can travel all over for multiple days.
    Yeti 2020 SB165
    Yeti 2019 SB150
    Yeti 2019 SB130 AXS
    Yeti 2018 SB100 AXS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I'm originally from Las Vegas but for the past year I've been splitting time between Grand Junction and also living in Colombia South America with my wife. I'm looking to make a permanent move and really wan't more peace and quiet but also wan't to base all my free time on riding bikes.

I travel for work 10-15 days per month when busy so I need to fly everywhere. I fly United and I saw the regional airport has plenty of flight choices which is good.

Also I'd likely rent a home for the first year and notice prices are around $1,200 per month for a nice home which fits my needs. After the year maybe I'd decide to stay.

What are the primary Pro's and Con's of the area besides the amazing riding ? I have a 9 year old who speaks primarily spanish who would enroll in school and look to get into sports and activities.

Also weather wise besides the unpredictable heavy rain periods how difficult is it with summer heat and hummidity during the warm months. I've always been in the West USA where it's hot and dry or cool and dry.

Thanks for all the info as I plan on visiting for 1 week in November to make a decision.
    Responses to this will by necessity be somewhat subjective, but for a short list:

Pros: - Small towns (Bella Vista, Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale, Fayetteville) - long greenway trail connects all the cities - pretty drives to places like Eureka - Buffalo National River - low cost of living - University town in Fayetteville - generally friendly atmosphere in the nice parts of town.

Cons: - Ticks in the woods - humidity in summer - not super diverse ("white" culture with lots of Hispanic immigrants, but not much established culture beyond that) - same drug problems as the rest of the country, probably.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S​​usspect View Post
    Responses to this will by necessity be somewhat subjective, but for a short list:

Pros: - Small towns (Bella Vista, Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale, Fayetteville) - long greenway trail connects all the cities - pretty drives to places like Eureka - Buffalo National River - low cost of living - University town in Fayetteville - generally friendly atmosphere in the nice parts of town.

Cons: - Ticks in the woods - humidity in summer - not super diverse ("white" culture with lots of Hispanic immigrants, but not much established culture beyond that) - same drug problems as the rest of the country, probably.
    Thank you for the response. I've never had to worry about Ticks so that will be a new challenge. I'm thinking October through May would be good riding Temps assuming it's not raining or severe weather and then cut town in the Van in the summer to Colorado and New Mexico.

I like the cost of living aspect from everything I've viewed on Zillow concerning rental homes and every single photo and video I watch of the surrounding areas it looks absolutely beautiful regarding scenery.

Culture might be the biggest adjustment for for me.
    Yeti 2020 SB165
    Yeti 2019 SB150
    Yeti 2019 SB130 AXS
    Yeti 2018 SB100 AXS

mtbr member
    Thank you for the response. I've never had to worry about Ticks so that will be a new challenge. I'm thinking October through May would be good riding Temps assuming it's not raining or severe weather and then cut town in the Van in the summer to Colorado and New Mexico.

I like the cost of living aspect from everything I've viewed on Zillow concerning rental homes and every single photo and video I watch of the surrounding areas it looks absolutely beautiful regarding scenery.

Ticks are worst in the hot weather, as it cools they tend to go away and in winter you don't really have to worry about them at all. October-May is absolutely my favorite biking season here. Though I've also acclimated to the summer.

As for your son, I do know that many of the local school systems have well-established ESL programs to make sure all our kids can be successful. The schools are very used to working with native Spanish-speakers. There are also lots of youth sport leagues, and even a developing NICA scene for youth MTB'ers.

I hope I won't turn you away with my comments on culture; I think you'd find us generally very welcoming here. Certainly within the MTB community. Just broadly speaking, I see our stratified demographics as a bit of a con. It would be cool if it was a little more diverse... maybe things are moving in that direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Lots of good info so far. Bentonville definitely has a Pleasantville feel, and the whole area is like a utopian bubble as far as cost of living: quality of living ratio.

As for the cultural piece: I'd say to either move to Bentonville or Fayetteville. Fayetteville is extremely progressive (it's a college town, hosting the University of Arkansas) and liberal. Similar to somewhere like Eugene, Oregon or Boulder. If you like liberalism and hippies and some of the anti-authority and anti-progress attitudes that go along with that (I kind of do), then you might like it. That being said, it's still pretty white except for international students.

Bentonville is much more conservative, but it's also becoming increasingly metropolitan. It feels like a small town, but due to WalMart and the vendor community, they are becoming more and more diverse culturally. It's still not going to feel like Houston or Miami or somewhere with huge diversity, but it's getting better. It does have a bit of a manufactured feel to it, in that they've built some amazing things.. but there aren't always natural draws to those amazing things from the people who live there.

Case in point:
    BikeNWA is doing an "open streets" festival in each of the cities in the area where they close down a city block and fill it with bike activities and fun things to do. The one in Fayetteville, with very little advertising, had probably 1,000 people and was a huge party. The one in Bentonville, which was advertised and promoted heavily, had about 100 people show up. Not really a referendum on the two places, but I think it gets a little bit of the vibe. Fayetteville is a grass roots party town with a lot of organic growth. Bentonville is a created town with all the amenities, but doesn't always have the natural grass roots activism for peopel to actually participate in them, because people are busy with careers and families.

Anyway, the whole area is great.

mtbr member
    ^^^ I'm ready to make the move......!!!! These last few posts really emphasize why NWA area will be a great fit for myself and my family.

I really appreciate these responses and information and look forward to meeting and riding with such an amazing community.
    Yeti 2020 SB165
    Yeti 2019 SB150
    Yeti 2019 SB130 AXS
    Yeti 2018 SB100 AXS