Tampa anyone?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tampa anyone?

Dec 2008

Tampa anyone?

anyone know of any good beginners trails in or around tampa.
    Last edited by horndog21; 12-02-2008 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008

turtles make me hot
    I've been checking out that site like a fiend. I'll be down there for Christmas and New Years, so I'm bringin' my bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Your best bet for a "beginner" trail is Flatwoods park northwest of Tampa. Miles and miles of flat singletrack with the only challenges coming from roots.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave.
    Your best bet for a "beginner" trail is Flatwoods park northwest of Tampa. Miles and miles of flat singletrack with the only challenges coming from roots.
    Sounds kinda boring. Dont flame me.

Cannondale Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeco1
    Sounds kinda boring. Dont flame me.
    It is boring. At least the name is accurate. I will point out, however, that the faster you ride the less boring it becomes. Of course, the same can be said for any trail system. If you want to ride someplace not boring, you'll have to go to Boyette, Alafia, Carter, and if you have the time, Santos.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As a Tampa resident, there was a time when I thought Flatwoods was boring too. I now think of it as a place to work on technique and rail turns as quickly as I can. There are a few trails that really mix it up like Gator bait, Indian and heartbreak ridge, while everything else is just good fast XC single track with a complete loop giving you a 15 mile ride. Alafia
    park is incredible and has something for everyone, flat trails like those found at flat woods as well as trails with so much elevation change you would think you had left the state. Moonscape for instance has some hairy decents complete with rockgardens. The beauty of Alafia is the layout of the park, all the trails are central to the parking area which features water, bathrooms, showers, vending, etc: Boyette while a little more primative(dirt parking lot and portalet)is a great mixture of trails as well with something for everyone and new trails being worked on as I type. Word of caution, if you go to Boyette bring a map as it is a BIG place

Dec 2008
    cool thanks

Nov 2008
    I think your best bet is to go to Boyette or Alafia...reason being: if you tackle the beginners trails and feel that your needing more, these places have anything you canhandle. Although, I will not knock on Wilderness (which is Flatwoods, Morris Bridge, and Trout Creek), its a great all around park...there are no crazy decents like Abyss at Boyette or anything thats gonna put you down a huge hill or into a lake or river if you fall, but it has some gnarley root systems on Heartbreak Ridge, or Washboard.

No matter where you go you will have fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would highly recommend Alafia for the following reasons.

-Trails of all levels from beginner to double black diamond
    -Excellent parking at the trail head
    -All trails are central to the parking lot and well laid out
    -Trails are well marked for direction and difficulty level
    -Excellent restrooms and picnic facilities
    -Camping facilities with showers
    -SWAMP does an amazing job of maintaining this trail system

Once you get to know the different trails you like you can patch them together and form different riding loops that will suit your tastes and skill level.

Members who have read this thread: 0