Tampa?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tampa?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Tampa?

I currently live in Washington and have an opportunity to move down to the Tampa area in January. I'm not 100% sure where specifically yet, but in that area. Where I live now there's tons of great riding anywhere from an hour to two away and I'm fine with that. I was browsing around the forum some and was checking in to what kind of riding you guys have in the area. Whats worth hitting on the weekends within a reasonable drive. Nothing needs to be in city limits or anything, but I'm willing to put up with my current drive to hit some good trails. I'm pretty open any kind of riding I just like to ride. I just hope there's plenty to ride down there and any input is really appreciated. Thanks for your time fellas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Check Traillink.com click on mountain biking and then Florida and it will list the trails in Florida. I live north of Orlando and I ride the Santos Bike Trail system. Alafia State Park in Lithia, Fl is supposed to be one of the top trail sites in the state. Around 20 miles of trails according to the website.

mtbr member

Hands down.....

Best riding in the entire state. Tampa area has balm Boyette, Alafia, Carter Road. Further north you have Croom, San Falesco and Santos. No big mtns, a few have sustained climbing ( San Falesco). You will not get any better in the state.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    Best riding in the entire state. Tampa area has balm Boyette, Alafia, Carter Road. Further north you have Croom, San Falesco and Santos. No big mtns, a few have sustained climbing ( San Falesco). You will not get any better in the state.
    This.

I live in Tampa and frequent most of the trails above. Mainly I ride the Wilderness Trails (15 mile loop of easy XC style trails, and very flat) since I can reach them by bike. Boyette, Alafia, and Carter are all within a 30-45 min drive. I have yet to make it to Croom, Santos, or San Falesco but I will someday!
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

Addicted to Dirt
    While there is decent riding in the area (as stated above) it will never compare to the PNW (in riding and other outdoor activities if you're into any).

I would say if you must relocate due to your career you will definitely have riding opportunities here (plus year round riding). But if riding etc... is a priority in your life, stay where you are.

mtbr member
    Debbie Downer.
    Signature

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    We have an AWESOME STATE here in Florida! Check out our website for some videos of Florida MTB Trails and Racing.Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We have over 150 miles of trails within a 45min - 1 hour drive of Tampa... Alafia River State Park, Balm-Boyette Scrub preserve, Loyce Harpe Park, Croom Wilderness Area, Wilderness Trails Parks, Santos Trails, and a few others... Check out the SWAMP Club website at SWAMP Mountain Bike Club Trails in Florida

mtbr member

That's why we have airplanes.....

Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    While there is decent riding in the area (as stated above) it will never compare to the PNW (in riding and other outdoor activities if you're into any).

I would say if you must relocate due to your career you will definitely have riding opportunities here (plus year round riding). But if riding etc... is a priority in your life, stay where you are.
    Although I would love to live in PNC, BC, Colorado, NC....my business requires me to be here. So the next nest alternative is to travel a few times a year to go mtn biking. So far I have been to: Whistler, lake tahoe, Red Rocks, North Carolina, Georgia, Jamaica, Moab. I still have a few more places to go on the list....

mtbr member
    It's good to hear that I live in the middle of some of the best trails in the state.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Check it out for yourself:

Do a google search for "tampa mountain bike trails" theres is plenty of info out there.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    or just go to SWAMP Mountain Bike Club Trails in Florida and click the link to "forums" as indicated a few posts above...best resource, since they maintain the majority of the Tampa trails.