Stop it Arkansas, just stop it...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stop it Arkansas, just stop it...

...we can't keep up with all the new, awesome trail. We don't have enough leave time. For example, this thing is opening on Saturday.

Another New Monument Trail Opens in an Arkansas State Park

Stop it Arkansas, just stop it...-mt.-nebo-gh-studios-mt.-nebo-9468.jpg.jpg
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Gotta get back down there. Fell in love with Eureka Springs when came through there about 15 years ago.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Things have improved 1000% on mountain biking, Eureka has some great trails at Lake Leatherwood and The Passion Play. Also, the new Hobbs trails are nearby. Too many to mention here really.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Nebo is the truth! I've ridden it once, and I didn't really do the clockwise descent justice, though we sessioned some stuff when we climbed it after doubling back and doing the CCW descent.

Anyway, that's a pretty epic spot. Can't wait to see what else they can build out there. It really needs a big swimming hole at the "bottom" rock garden section, as people really need to be somehow encouraged to linger and soak up that area. It's kind of amazing.

:\ ping of death
    Dear Arkansas,

Please build some of your awesome trails in Georgia. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    A Georgia resident
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

mtbr member
    This is my new favorite trail in Arkansas and so grateful for it to be an hour from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Buffalo River area getting some new trails... open this fall.

1300 feet of downhill anyone?

https://www.facebook.com/GaryVern/vi...yODk2Nzc0NDQy/

mtbr member
    I keep thinking about how awesome the trails are in Arkansas. I live outside of Nashville and for a city that has done so well economically in the past decade it's sad how little effort has gone into trail building here. There's plenty of riders and money here but the few trails they've recently built have been very lackluster. I keep thinking about how well built everything is in Bentonville and can't figure out why Nashville can't build at least a few similar trails. I know space is more limited but just 20 miles of NW Arkansas quality trails would be a massive step forward.

Captain Climber
    Wish they would have had all these nice trails when I was growing up there. Do these trails have a lot of traffic?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Wish they would have had all these nice trails when I was growing up there. Do these trails have a lot of traffic?
    I rode Kessler, Fitzgerald, Lake Ft Smith, and Upper Buffalo Headwaters last week and saw a grand total of three other bikes, and they were all at Fitzgerald! Three of those rides were during the week and UBH was on Saturday. More crowded on wknds obviously but we have so many trails that everyone is spread out pretty good. These are the good times in Arkansas for sure. Canít wait til Devils Den trail is finished. The original trail there is closed btw due to flood damage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Trails never really feel crowded, but Slaughter Pen and Coler can feel busy, especially on weekends. Bentonville is definitely starting to feel like a bike town. Just got back from a trip out West to several bike towns, and I feel like Bentonville had a similar number of bikes on cars and cruising the streets. Of course, the trails are IN Bentonville, so you have a lot of people cruising around directly in town vs. driving out to more remote trailheads.

Right now I really enjoy seeing all the people, because it makes the transformation feel so real. It's awesome going riding and meeting people from out of state every time I'm up at Coler or Slaughter Pen. It's also fun going riding and running into other friends and people you know while on the trails. Right now this is all really fun and enjoyable, but I also recognize that this can become problematic and annoying at a certain point when you're having to wait in line to drop in on a trail.

If you're outside of the immediate Bentonville area and in some of the lesser known trail systems (Fitzgerald excluded), then you hardly see anyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S​​usspect View Post
    Buffalo River area getting some new trails... open this fall.

1300 feet of downhill anyone?

https://www.facebook.com/GaryVern/vi...yODk2Nzc0NDQy/
    Where exactly? We're passing through late September. I'd like to ride that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Ponca Ar. Stop in at Buffalo Outdoor Center. They will offer shuttles and there will be three different trails. On hwy 43

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    This is near Ponca. Buffalo Outdoor Center in Ponca should have info. Plus Facebook will guide you once it's open.

edit: sir kayakalot is faster than me
    Last edited by S​​usspect; 08-01-2019 at 06:03 PM. Reason: kayakalot beat me to it

mtbr member
    How are all these miles of trail being built? Is someone, Walton family, building on private land and gifting it or tax dollars going into all these miles?

I'm glad there is all this going on but want to know how other locations can piggyback off the northwest Arkansas model if possible

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Waltonís are definitely helping fund a lot of the trails. Quite a bit of new trails are on state park land and funded by the state. And then there are several trails being built in cities funded by generous donors on city owned land. And thereís yet more trails being built on national forest land. Arkansas is blessed with huge parcels of national forest. And itís not just north Arkansas. Itís happening all over the state

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebomberx View Post
    This is my new favorite trail in Arkansas and so grateful for it to be an hour from home.

Where is that at?

mtbr member
    Where is that at?
    That would be Mt. Nebo

mtbr member
    Where is that at?
    The best trailhead view in Arkansas on top of Mt. Nebo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Waltonís are definitely helping fund a lot of the trails. ...
    Yeah... like $74 million. And that doesn't include the trickle down from the family's $500 billion business in the way of taxes that may also help fund state parks, etc. Imagine what any region could accomplish with that sort of infu$ion for mountain biking.

https://www.outsideonline.com/229548...le-track-minds

Awesome trails in NW Arkansas.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by avlfj40 View Post
    How are all these miles of trail being built? Is someone, Walton family, building on private land and gifting it or tax dollars going into all these miles?

I'm glad there is all this going on but want to know how other locations can piggyback off the northwest Arkansas model if possible

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    A lot of it is also being done through incentive grants with municipalities in the area. So basically, if a city wants to build some trails or a skills park or anything of that nature, the can apply for grants from the Waltons. Some of the land "in the city" (Coler, Red Barn area of Slaughter Pen) is privately owned and developed for trails, which kind of presents an interesting issue because it has to be privately maintained as well. So you can't have city trail crews trimming and such on them. Which is fine if you have an organization like NWA Trailblazers (funded) or FAST or OORC (volunteer) to help maintain.

The Monument trails (Nebo, Hobbs, and upcoming Devil's Den) were a partnership between the State Parks and the Waltons funding the trail development.

I believe the Buffalo trails are on land owned by the Buffalo Outdoor Center privately and was funded by the Waltons as well.

One thing that's interesting is that the WFF and IMBA have partnered to really try to make Bentonville a model for how other areas can have similar trail development. They offer Trail Labs several times a year were city officials and other stakeholders from other areas can come into the area and learn how to initiate similar movements in their communities. I think there are also some "playbook" type manuals being put out with practices on how to get this sort of thing started. While the majority of the money is certainly tied up in local trail development the broader mission is to have other communities emulate the model.

Captain Climber
    I had no idea Competitive Cyclist was in LR.

be1
    the beat goes on
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I keep thinking about how awesome the trails are in Arkansas. I live outside of Nashville and for a city that has done so well economically in the past decade it's sad how little effort has gone into trail building here. There's plenty of riders and money here but the few trails they've recently built have been very lackluster. I keep thinking about how well built everything is in Bentonville and can't figure out why Nashville can't build at least a few similar trails. I know space is more limited but just 20 miles of NW Arkansas quality trails would be a massive step forward.
    all the money in nashville goes to advance tourism and attract new corporations (corp welfare). there's no money left for the people that actually live there. don't expect money that could be used to help the citizens to actually be used that way. maybe if cooper wins the run-off things will change somewhat. but for now - arkansas looks like a good place to relocate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    all the money in nashville goes to advance tourism and attract new corporations (corp welfare). there's no money left for the people that actually live there. don't expect money that could be used to help the citizens to actually be used that way. maybe if cooper wins the run-off things will change somewhat. but for now - arkansas looks like a good place to relocate.
    I live in Asheville, and while the riding around here is spectacular, the city is not investing any money into building trails on property that it owns.

Without a wealthy benefactor I don't think any municipality will be able to do what NWA is doing. Hell, the city can barely maintain the parks that it currently has much less hiring a trail crew also. Hopefully the WFF money does not dry up and stick all the maint on the local governments.

TRANCER
    Man I might just have to move to Arkansas
    Ride

mtbr member
    Competitive Cyclist was in Little Rock until it was bought by Backcountry. Orbea still has their North American distributor in North Little Rock. Allied Bikes are still built in Little Rock but their office is in Bentonville. Also, the owner of Moots Bikes lives in Little Rock and Rapha is owned by some of the Waltons now. We are a serious bicycle state.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The cycling programs are staggering here, during race season, you can have High school NICA, AMBCS, Enduro series and others all happening on the same weekend in different parts of the state. I moved to Central AR a year ago from South Texas and cannot believe the quality and quantity of trails for every skill level and every trail format. It seems that a new trail has opened or construction started about every month. Even a lift access trail is in the works now too!!. Not one regret leaving my home state and moving here
    2020 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftless89 View Post
    The cycling programs are staggering here, during race season, you can have High school NICA, AMBCS, Enduro series and others all happening on the same weekend in different parts of the state. I moved to Central AR a year ago from South Texas and cannot believe the quality and quantity of trails for every skill level and every trail format. It seems that a new trail has opened or construction started about every month. Even a lift access trail is in the works now too!!. Not one regret leaving my home state and moving here
    We've had to start opting out of races because our registration fees were getting so ridiculous. We are prioritizing enduro and NICA, now. We did mainly AMBCS last year because my son wasn't old enough for NICA. He'd prefer to just do enduro, but I insist that he do some XC to get stronger with his pedaling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    We've had to start opting out of races because our registration fees were getting so ridiculous. We are prioritizing enduro and NICA, now. We did mainly AMBCS last year because my son wasn't old enough for NICA. He'd prefer to just do enduro, but I insist that he do some XC to get stronger with his pedaling.
    Yep, it's getting out of hand. What team is he on if you don't mind me asking. I coach for Rogers.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Yep, it's getting out of hand. What team is he on if you don't mind me asking. I coach for Rogers.

He's on Fayetteville Composite. I'm also Level 1 coach for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The best trailhead view in Arkansas on top of Mt. Nebo.

Want. About how far out of Bentonville is this?
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Want. About how far out of Bentonville is this?
    2-2.5 hours all interstate

mtbr member
    What he said. Nebo is arguably the best trail in the state right now. Canít go wrong here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    What he said. Nebo is arguably the best trail in the state right now. Canít go wrong here.

It depends on what you're looking for. Currently there is nothing that comes close to Passion Play and BOC for me.

mtbr member
    I have yet to make it to BOC but have been to Passion Play a few times for NICA and once on my own. The new stuff wasnít open at the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have yet to make it to BOC but have been to Passion Play a few times for NICA and once on my own. The new stuff wasnít open at the time.

Deliverance, Nineveh, Ascension and Gnarmeggaden are steep and chunky. BOC is on a whole different level as far as Arkansas is concerned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Deliverance, Nineveh, Ascension and Gnarmeggaden are steep and chunky. BOC is on a whole different level as far as Arkansas is concerned.

Have you been over to Centennial to check out the black lines, yet? There are some Ponca-esque features out there. But I agree that BOC is next level as far as steep and rowdy. I broke myself off more times there in one day than I had in the previous 3 years (admittedly, I was having a bad day of riding period).

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Have you been over to Centennial to check out the black lines, yet? There are some Ponca-esque features out there. But I agree that BOC is next level as far as steep and rowdy. I broke myself off more times there in one day than I had in the previous 3 years (admittedly, I was having a bad day of riding period).
    I haven't. It's the steep part that I really enjoy about Ponca.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    BOC is on my shortlist to visit - there are just so many good trails close to home (Conway) to ride and within an hour, the new trails at Mt Nebo (great downhill and killer UP). Pinnacle Mt trails officially opening very soon, Hot Springs trails system is great. Camp Robinson and so many others its all good!
    2020 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Anyone hear about any new trails in the OZ trails systems? I saw some Facebook posts about some new trails that are near Bella Vista today.
    Current Bike: 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower S

Previous bikes: 2019 Trek Fuel EX 7 and 2016 Diamondback Overdrive 27.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthehill29 View Post
    Anyone hear about any new trails in the OZ trails systems? I saw some Facebook posts about some new trails that are near Bella Vista today.
    Built on Little Sugar by Gravity Logic.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Built on Little Sugar by Gravity Logic.

This.

They're really sweet. I'll be curious how well they hold up to our seasons without frequent maintenance. There is some talk of putting rock lips on them, but I kind of hope they don't. One of the things that makes them so good is the dirt lips.

Gravity Logic is out of Whistler, so that gives you some idea of the flavor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    This.

They're really sweet. I'll be curious how well they hold up to our seasons without frequent maintenance. There is some talk of putting rock lips on them, but I kind of hope they don't. One of the things that makes them so good is the dirt lips.

Gravity Logic is out of Whistler, so that gives you some idea of the flavor.
    It's on another level compared to everything else here. Maybe the TrailBlazers will pick up the maintenance. That's one that can't be left to volunteers. Same thing with those double blacks and reds on the northeast side.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's on another level compared to everything else here. Maybe the TrailBlazers will pick up the maintenance. That's one that can't be left to volunteers. Same thing with those double blacks and reds on the northeast side.

Is anyone riding the gnarly stuff on the NE side? It's too big for XC bikes and too far to pedal for endurobros, in my opinion...
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    Is anyone riding the gnarly stuff on the NE side? It's too big for XC bikes and too far to pedal for endurobros, in my opinion...
    I've ridden it, both enduro bike and XC bike, just different lines. I've taken my sled around the outer loop a few times.

mtbr member
    I accidentally rode down there a few weeks ago. Looks like it is going to be pretty sweet....If I am thinking about the same place anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    I accidentally rode down there a few weeks ago. Looks like it is going to be pretty sweet....If I am thinking about the same place anyway.
    It goes down to the creek. Has a plethora of lines from meh, to hospital visit all over the place on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    It goes down to the creek. Has a plethora of lines from meh, to hospital visit all over the place on it.

Assuming you all are talking about "Lopes Lines" that Jagged Axe built:

Here is a youtube on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRO08szZUlg

mtbr member
    Yep, that is it but there is so much more there than I saw. I rode down by the bench they are sitting on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Assuming you all are talking about "Lopes Lines" that Jagged Axe built:

Here is a youtube on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRO08szZUlg
    Yep, but for people that haven't been out there the GoPro effect is real on that one. That stuff is way steeper and bigger than it looks in that video.

mtbr member
    Will be on Little Sugar this weekend but doing a marathon ride coupled with the back 40 so will most likely skip. Will be toward the end of the approx 50 miles we do Sunday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Here's an edit my kid put together on the new Gravity Logic stuff, if anyone wants to see what it looks like:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFM_lxph..._web_copy_link

mtbr member
    Heís ripping it hogfly, looks good.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Heís ripping it hogfly, looks good.
    Thanks! He's definitely passed me up.

So many talented groms in the area feeding off each other and pushing each other. Lucky kids (and parents) to have this playground.

mtbr member
    Gonna give ol Rich Drew a run for his money....

Kids in NW Ar are so lucky!

mtbr member
    I found this video today of these new trails. I hope they open soon!

https://youtu.be/6pUkjnx30DQ
    Current Bike: 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower S

Previous bikes: 2019 Trek Fuel EX 7 and 2016 Diamondback Overdrive 27.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthehill29 View Post
    I found this video today of these new trails. I hope they open soon!

https://youtu.be/6pUkjnx30DQ
    Amazing video! While I won't be doing those jumps or ledge crawls, the trails look amazing...a road trip is in order!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Good stuff! That video doesn't even have the biggest jumpline on it, either. The blue line (Shock and Awe) is like Fireline but slightly bigger and quite a bit shorter. It's awesome, though!