St. Augustine area....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

St. Augustine area....

Anyone around the St. Augustine area? Im pretty new and want to be shown around at the trails around here.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    I'm not in the area, but if you have Facebook, join the SORBA Jax group. That's the local sorba chapter based out of Jacksonville, and there is frequent discussion of trails in Duval, Clay, St Johns, Nassau, and Flagler counties.

mtbr member
    I do frequent the lovely city, albeit dragging a boat along .
    The only time I've ridden anywhere up there was at a race on Amelia island and it was quite good. Very nice trails actually, for vegetated sandy dunes. Past that I can't offer any guidance. It's Florida
    Come to Santos- we have rocks LOL
    Get up into GA some weekend- they have mountains!

ride something every day
    I am 90 minutes south of you in Titusville. I went through a MTB culture shock when I relocated here a few years ago from mountainous terrain. My first thought was, awesome no hills, I can ride all day and not get tired. Then I started scouting for off-road trails and discovered that in Florida, you just can't hop on an unimproved trail and expect to ride very long without getting mired in sugar sand or a bog.

There are single track hiking trails in the various hammock parks that make for fun technical rides (surface is sustained by roots and tree litter), but they are all pedestrian only for the most part, and usually pretty short.

Luckily, I live in riding distance of three sizable game preserves with networks of ridable roads and trails including gravel, oyster shell and maintained turf. There are also rural sand roads to gravel grind on. So in Florida I ride about 50% gravel grinding on game preserves or rural sand roads, and the other 50% is on paved rail trails and regular roads, because I launch all my rides from my front door. Not MTB in the traditional sense but I still have a blast. Headwind and tailwind is now in my vocabulary.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    The only time I've ridden anywhere up there was at a race on Amelia island and it was quite good. Very nice trails actually, for vegetated sandy dunes.
    That would be Ft Clinch. Very fun trails indeed, and well maintained by the park rangers.

mtbr member
    Check out Graham Swamp and Mala Compra just south of you in Palm Coast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    San Felasco in Gainesville and Santos in Ocala, both great places to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT View Post
    Check out Graham Swamp and Mala Compra just south of you in Palm Coast.
    Yes, Graham swamp (about 6-7mile loop) and mala compra are both worth the trip. I like graham better but mala has some alternate lines that are very tricky/technical!