Sope Creek- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sope Creek

mtbr member

Sope Creek

I can't believe I have not ridden this trail yet but, that changes after today. Heading there after lunch to give it a try.

Anyone have any similar trails that I will notice while riding this one? I read somewhere that it has some techy spots on it....is that accurate?

OMB
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    There isn't anything really super technical on Sope other than the hiker dodging you'll have to do.

Cycologist
    I ride to Sope from my house. As flip said, nothing really technical but it's a great trail. Biggest challenge is making the complete climb up in the clockwise direction, which I think is the Friday direction.
    I tend to avoid it on nice early Spring days as it gets a lot of hikers and early in the season, clueless ones that only go hiking once a year or less.

Let me know what you think of it.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Any rumor as to when it will reopen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I ride to Sope from my house. As flip said, nothing really technical but it's a great trail. Biggest challenge is making the complete climb up in the clockwise direction, which I think is the Friday direction.
    I tend to avoid it on nice early Spring days as it gets a lot of hikers and early in the season, clueless ones that only go hiking once a year or less.

Let me know what you think of it.
    I was supposed to meet a riding buddy that was very familiar with this trail. He showed up and FORGOT his doggone bike! Now I have forgotten many things before but never my bike! lol. So I was left to ride by myself. Hindsight, I wished I had rode with someone who was familiar with the trail and layout.

I found the entrance fairly easy and the initial entrance onto the CW route was a bit challenging out the gate! There is a rather difficult climb not far into the ride to make that once you reach it you're already breathing rather hard. (Kind of reminded me of the approach to Hurl Hill and THEN climbing Hurl Hill, lol) I walked it up. The trails are very wide and flowy most of the way. But I had to keep backtracking to signage to make sure I was headed down the right trail. There was one point I had NO clue where I was and just figured I'd dump out onto something nearby. Where I found this trail to be the most challenging was on the backside(?) of the figure 8 with ALL that uphill that NEVER stopped! I am 56 and not in the BEST of riding shape yet but, goodness gracious this a bit much for me. I'm sure whenever I go back and ride with someone who knows this trail it will be much more fun. But I got my money's worth I can certainly say that! I did NOT expect to have that kind of ride on a trail virtually in the big city.

FYI, they are waiving the entrance fees temporarily due to the virus. I just can't remember for how long the sign said.

OMB
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    Sope along with the entire CRNRA are open. Bathrooms are closed. There is no parking fee for now. Please check https://twitter.com/mtbatltrails for trail status as they may be closed with all of the rain we've had lately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Highly recommend hitting Sope Creek during the week if possible, especially right at sunrise or late evenings. Seems much less packed with hikers then. I'll go at dawn before work and often have the place nearly to myself. I wouldn't bother going from mid-morning to late afternoon on the weekends unless you want to stop often for hikers.

Its not that techy of a trail but there is some exposed rock in some sections that can be fun, especially downhill.